How to get a dungeon style heavy sub?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby Earjax » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:10 am

How do I get those harmonics and make it really punch through in the mix? Will post a song I'm working on later and you'll se what I mean...
Earjax

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby coogcoo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:26 am

theres a really good distance tutorial about subs, you shud google it. also i personally use a sine/sq wave in massive, put it just barely into the square side, put some distortion and overdrive on it, then filter it with a lowpass with a lil resonance so it realy pops. i run that thru decimort, crank the gain and then filter it down again (but not too much). also try using a pitch envelope with no attack, initial at 100 percent, short decay into 0 percent sustain. kind of gives it that WOOMPH kick when it comes in.
coogcoo

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Earjax » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:28 am

Some good advice there man, thanks
Earjax

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby coogcoo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:26 am

np man

dig yr tunes btw esp the 2nd one, huge huge huge build up haha
coogcoo

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby RandoRando » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:35 am

i second the sn-sqr wave in massive, but you gave some good tips on further processing coogcoo !
RandoRando

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
2 times

Postby Earjax » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:01 pm

okay so this is what I've got, its my first attempt at dungeon so be nice :P I know there's too much reverb on my bass, I'm working on bringing that down
Earjax

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Sinestepper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Well. Its a sub. So just a sine wave? is there something i have missed?
Soundcloud
Twitter
Collaborative project with kai li:
http://soundcloud.com/genrli
Sinestepper

Has Bigged up!:
54 times
Been Bigged up!:
62 times

Postby coogcoo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Sinestepper wrote:Well. Its a sub. So just a sine wave? is there something i have missed?

as someone who was raised with a stepdad who dj'ed miami bass i can promise you that if all youre using for a sub is a sine wave w/ no harmonics its gonna sound flabby and thin. you gotta fatten it up. we used to crank the sampling input on an s2000 until it practically sounded like gabber kicks, and then low-pass lightly. also if you're willing, ppl often give advice about highpassing yr kicks at like 90 and shit, but if you want a really really really fat sub sound, do what they used to with old jungle tunes and highpass them at like 140. that might seem crazy but if its knocking at the same time as your sub (which is now taking up nearly twice freqs) itll sound way fatter and push way more air... js :4:
coogcoo

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Earjax » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:59 pm

;l
Last edited by Earjax on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Earjax

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Earjax » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:19 pm

http://soundcloud.com/owenedwards/scum
sorry posted broken link...fixed now

Sinestepper wrote:Well. Its a sub. So just a sine wave? is there something i have missed?

haha you've missed everything my friend :P Try to think of a sub as just another synth, each sub has its own characteristics depending on how you make it
Earjax

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby coogcoo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:38 pm

that sub sounds pretty solid dude, the only thing i can think is to pitch yr kick higher and let the sub eat up more space, itll gain more definition
coogcoo

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Sinestepper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:05 pm

All im saying is. I make a sine sub then layer it under another synth even if that is a lowpassed square. I feel like I have more control over the sound this way. I mean seriously I would never overdrive my sine either, thats just nuts.
Soundcloud
Twitter
Sinestepper

Has Bigged up!:
54 times
Been Bigged up!:
62 times

Postby Earjax » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:11 pm

Sinestepper wrote:All im saying is. I make a sine sub then layer it under another synth even if that is a lowpassed square. I feel like I have more control over the sound this way. I mean seriously I would never overdrive my sine either, thats just nuts.

Well I guess thats just you man :) Welcome to the world of brostep by the way ;)
Earjax

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Genevieve » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:20 pm

coogcoo wrote: we used to crank the sampling input on an s2000 until it practically sounded like gabber kicks, and then low-pass lightly.

Might as well just use a squarewave then though. I think you were just kinda fooled by the loudness of the signal after it was distorted compared the clean signal.

namsayin

:'0
Genevieve

Has Bigged up!:
3 times
Been Bigged up!:
208 times

Postby coogcoo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Genevieve wrote:
coogcoo wrote: we used to crank the sampling input on an s2000 until it practically sounded like gabber kicks, and then low-pass lightly.

Might as well just use a squarewave then though. I think you were just kinda fooled by the loudness of the signal after it was distorted compared the clean signal.

well we had to put it back in the mix at the same level, so it wasn't any louder. the distorted ones just had more thump and a heavier texture to them
coogcoo

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Sinestepper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Earjax wrote:
Sinestepper wrote:All im saying is. I make a sine sub then layer it under another synth even if that is a lowpassed square. I feel like I have more control over the sound this way. I mean seriously I would never overdrive my sine either, thats just nuts.

Well I guess thats just you man :) Welcome to the world of brostep by the way ;)

Brostep!? What...?? :a:
Soundcloud
Twitter
Sinestepper

Has Bigged up!:
54 times
Been Bigged up!:
62 times

Postby Earjax » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Sinestepper wrote:
Earjax wrote:

Brostep!? What...?? :a:

Dude its pretty much everywhere at the moment you might as well accept it ;) Personally I like both sides of the genre equally, though brostep is 100x better live given the right dj
Earjax

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Sinestepper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Im confused as to why you welcomed me to the "world of Brostep" out of the blue. :/ Also I disagree with what you just said.
Soundcloud
Twitter
Sinestepper

Has Bigged up!:
54 times
Been Bigged up!:
62 times

Postby Earjax » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Sinestepper wrote:Im confused as to why you welcomed me to the "world of Brostep" out of the blue. :/ Also I disagree with what you just said.

Because you were questioning bro-production techniques...I'm gonna shut up now I don't want to turn this thread into another my dubstep is better than yours argument

:w:
Earjax

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Sinestepper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:14 pm

I wasn't. I just said I would never overdrive a pure sine sub. That's not an anything production technique. Im all for putting distortion on things sure, but not on the sub 100hz frequencies.
But yep, lets all have a big gay man hug.
:w:
Soundcloud
Twitter
Sinestepper

Has Bigged up!:
54 times
Been Bigged up!:
62 times

Next

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical