Theoretically Complex Dubstep

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby atticuh » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:31 am

drake89 wrote:i agree that most edm is not complex relative to other genre's, BUT

#1-Aphex Twin

You know he built a hardware synth with household items at age 15. Most people on these forums can't PROGRAM (program patches) a synth at age 20 (overgeneralizing here but can safely say majority). AFX is in a league of his own as far as iconoclasts go.
http://soundcloud.com/madscientwist/hope-an-electronic-tribute-to
“Dreams are like the paints of a great artist. Your dreams are your paints, the world is your canvas. Believing, is the brush that converts your dreams into a masterpiece of reality.”
atticuh

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby drake89 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:38 am

yeah congrats we've all read wikipedia. I would be surprised if he doesn't have asberger's and if he has friends, though.
drake89

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby hasezwei » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 am

drake89 wrote:yeah congrats we've all read wikipedia. I would be surprised if he doesn't have asberger's and if he has friends, though.

oh jesus lemmeguess, you're a teenager?
hasezwei

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
1 time

Postby BudSpencertron » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:50 am

jedi govna, picka ти materina
oh wow i make glasses now?
https://soundcloud.com/unimoglordofthefarmers/kellerfrau
BudSpencertron

Has Bigged up!:
4 times
Been Bigged up!:
19 times

Postby -TraX- » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 pm

i do give deadmau5 props to one song, strobe. particularly when the synth comes in, one of the most beautiful melodic arrangements ever.
the complexity of EDM lies in the rythms and percussion, i think. Like Qawwali ? That beat will never leave my head. Peverelist and his arrangements, like in Roll With the Punches, are incredible. Also, I loved Burial's arrangement of Kindred, almost seemed like it was in acts, haha.
The whole brostep scene is just becoming a button pushing contest, I used to think it took some musicianship but not anymore.

Un Sospiro. Liszt is to this day one of the most technically advanced pianists ever

and speaking of John Coltrane, his nephew Flying Lotus makes some wickedly meaningful tunes as well, particularly all of Cosmogramma :4:
Last edited by -TraX- on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I found a way to get piece of mind for years, and left the hell alone, turn a deaf ear to the cellular phone
-TraX-

Has Bigged up!:
2 times
Been Bigged up!:
2 times

Postby cmgoodman1226 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:44 pm

-TraX- wrote:The whole brostep scene is just becoming a button pushing contest, I used to think it took some musicianship but not anymore.

I couldn't agree with you more.
cmgoodman1226

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
2 times

Postby therapist » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:05 pm

-TraX- wrote:i do give deadmau5 props to one song, strobe. particularly when the synth comes in, one of the most beautiful melodic arrangements ever.
the complexity of EDM lies in the rythms and percussion, i think. Like Qawwali ? That beat will never leave my head. Peverelist and his arrangements, like in Roll With the Punches, are incredible. Also, I loved Burial's arrangement of Kindred, almost seemed like it was in acts, haha.
The whole brostep scene is just becoming a button pushing contest, I used to think it took some musicianship but not anymore.

Un Sospiro. Liszt is to this day one of the most technically advanced pianists ever

and speaking of John Coltrane, his nephew Flying Lotus makes some wickedly meaningful tunes as well, particularly all of Cosmogramma :4:

That's pretty cool.
therapist

Has Bigged up!:
31 times
Been Bigged up!:
29 times

Postby Attila » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:07 pm

cmgoodman1226 wrote:
-TraX- wrote:The whole brostep scene is just becoming a button pushing contest, I used to think it took some musicianship but not anymore.

Both wrong. Musicianship is a personal choice not a genre characteristic. The only reason musicality is lacking in a lot of electronic music is that it's the easiest form of music to get into (by which I mean you can download a few torrents and be running within an afternoon). Doesn't mean dubstep's not musical, just means there's a lot of shitty producers.
Attila

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby drake89 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:24 am

Attila wrote:
cmgoodman1226 wrote:

Doesn't mean dubstep's not musical, just means there's a lot of shitty producers.
drake89

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby jonahmann » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:16 am

The IDM genre is what I was thinking. Not technically dubstep.

Artists like Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre, Venetian Snares, Boards of Canada.
jonahmann

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
6 times

Postby Mindforce » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:50 am

Shoot me if I'm a cigarette for posting non-dubstep, but I think these guys are just fucking talented in so many ways. Like I listen to the composition of this song and I'm just... :-o

Sure it's not dubstep but fuck me these guys are fucking genius. Just the way shit flows is like... Holy hell. Besides the rhythmic and melodic complexity, their producuing is pretty crazy too imo. But the composition of this song still blows my mind.

SERIOUSLY worth listening to this song.
Mindforce

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby wub » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:15 am

cmgoodman1226 wrote:

:z:

There is one particular producer in the Dubs board I've had run ins with recently who has freely admitted that he just places his notes randomly on the piano roll when doing his midrange drop sections :u:
JFK wrote:Wub is the DSF comedy master.

It's not who I am underneath, but my actions that define me

http://soundcloud.com/worldwidewub

AIM - wub2028
wub
Global moderator

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
550 times

Postby slothrop » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:05 pm

drake89 wrote:I don't believe Aphex twin is classically trained, so I think that most of his complexities are rhythmic and textural. I would be quite suprised if venitian snares isn't classically trained, but a lot of his complexities are rhythmic also.

Rhythm is part of music theory, something that hasn't been discussed so far.

Yes, there are at least three seperate things going on here...

Some stuff is melodically / harmonically complex. This isn't the same as having a prominent melody and 99.999% of 'melodic dubstep' isn't it.

Some stuff is melodically / harmonically simple but rhythmically or texturally complex. Arguably a lot of electronic music is near the forefront here, excluding a few things like free improv or music concrete.

Some stuff isn't complex in any sense but is sophisticated and subtle. For instance, Aphex's drill and bass stuff is more rhythmically complex than most James Brown stuff, but I'd argue that Clyde Stubblefield was more of a rhythmic genius than AFX for just being so damn funky. Similarly, I'd rate Keith Richards as more of a melodic genius than a lot of technical metal wonks, because he could write an incredible riff using three chords. I think this is where a lot of electronic music fits in - Shackleton's drum programming isn't complex in the same way that Venetian Snares is, but it's very very good.

On an unrelated note, I'd reckon that several Mars Volta songs are on par with that symphony (though I haven't listened to it yet).

Examples?

I have to admit I'm sceptical, although I am a bit of a Mahler fanboy...
slothrop

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
4 times

Postby wolf89 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:12 pm

No mars volta aren't at that level he's being a tit. (That's not to say that I don't really like them)

also the whole thing about being simple but making music that is better thing is true also. Just because you write music that in terms of conventional music theory is complex doesn't mean that you write good music.
http://twitter.com/Wolfthedj

sofa_king wrote:wolf89 has a massive cock.
wolf89

Has Bigged up!:
59 times
Been Bigged up!:
234 times

Postby AxeD » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Big up anyone posting Liszt.
AxeD

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
106 times