gain structure and mixing aka THE MONEYSHOT THREAD

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby elyhess » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Ok, I upated my song, drums are at -8.9 db, should I make them a tad bit quieter? Or do they sound ok as they are

The song is my signature
elyhess

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
2 times

Postby skimpi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:04 pm

i havent read all your recent posts cos im rushing to go out, but i dont know how your master is reading 8, 9, the readings on the faders will only go up to +6 so how would you know if it is reaching +8 or +9? but aswell just bring everything down low, if one of your channels is in the red, then your master will be in the red if the master fader is set to zero, you want to have NO red readings on your track, you want each channel to be well below red readings.
http://soundcloud.com/tsunga

TopManLurka wrote:thanks for confirming

OiOiii #BELTER
skimpi

Has Bigged up!:
17 times
Been Bigged up!:
73 times

Postby laurend » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:15 pm

elyhess wrote:Ok, I upated my song, drums are at -8.9 db, should I make them a tad bit quieter? Or do they sound ok as they are

The song is my signature

That sounds like a good mix basis. If peaks reach values higher than -3 dB on your master section when adding the other elements, just lower the gain.
laurend

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby elyhess » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 pm

laurend wrote:
elyhess wrote:Ok, I upated my song, drums are at -8.9 db, should I make them a tad bit quieter? Or do they sound ok as they are

The song is my signature

That sounds like a good mix basis. If peaks reach values higher than -3 dB on your master section when adding the other elements, just lower the gain.

cool thanks :) now i just have to start coming up with sounding tunes, the one i have as my sig is a bit basic, thanks for your helps people. i know i must have sounded pretty retarted! we all need help sometimes xD
elyhess

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
2 times

Postby tpc_uk » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Nice one to everybody in this thread. esp Macc obviously - some seriously decent information... ;-)

Read it from the beginning last night. Alot to get through but I think iv picked up some points.
tpc_uk

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby elyhess » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:48 pm

yeah this thread is gold!!!
elyhess

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
2 times

Postby BaseBass » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:49 am

Just a quick question. When I build a snare sound from multiple other snares, and you add your typical filters, EQ, compression, saturation etc etc. And then export that snare sound to .WAV format and load it into a new project (with no new effects or filters applied whatsoever, so a clean channel). Does it still sound the same? Are the frequenties I cut off before exporting still gone? Does the snare still hit as hard etc? Or does it lose it´s punch and cleanness?

(for the sake of argument, let's say that both the old and the new project file have the same settings on the master channel, so the snare does not get affected by different settings on the master)

I'm still trying to understand, what kind of effect bouncing back to audio and re-importing it again has. Does the audio lose anything, or gain unwanted stuff? Do I have to EQ it all over again? And does this work the same with Kicks, Basses etc?
BaseBass

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby laurend » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:01 am

BaseBass wrote:let's say that both the old and the new project file have the same settings on the master channel, so the snare does not get affected by different settings on the master

If your sound is processed twice, it's different than if processed once. If you want to keep the same snare from a project to another, just forgot all processing on the snare track AND your master section.
laurend

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby BaseBass » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:20 am

What are the major differences to the sound when processed a second time? I mean... I exported the snare to a .wav. So it is exported with the compression and all other stuff. I don't really see how it could sound different in a new project, when you don't add any new filters or effects.

Don't people do the same when they resample basses? They export it to wave, and then reload it into the project so they can chop it up etc? That would mean, that the basses sound diffrent after reloading into the project as well right?

I'm having a hard time understanding what the consequences are. When I have built a kick-ass snare, and I might want to re-use it in a new project... how does this affect the snare when I load it in as a wav?
BaseBass

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby laurend » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:30 am

.wav export is transparent. If you use it as it is, your snare sound won't change.
laurend

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby BaseBass » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks Laurend, That's what I wanted to know =).
BaseBass

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Warwolt » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:30 am

So basically bouncing things is to boil down everything in the chain into something that is more solid, so you know that you can keep working on it without a lot of devices to worry about.
Burial isnt dubstep, fuck off.
Warwolt

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby macc » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:06 pm

^ That's right :)

In fact it's exactly what it means - the term 'bouncing' comes from the old days when you had used all of your available tracks on tape. You'd 'bounce' 8 channels into one, to free up the other 7. Why the word bounce, I dunno though.

One thing that should be made clear to BaseBass though;

I'm having a hard time understanding what the consequences are. When I have built a kick-ass snare, and I might want to re-use it in a new project... how does this affect the snare when I load it in as a wav?

The main thing to be careful with is any processing in your master channel.

If you have all sorts of stuff in your master channel and bounce the snare, it will have those effects on it. Now if you re-import that snare, it's going to be running through all those effects for a second time. Another reason (IMO!) to keep your master channel clear.

Laurend sort of touched on that but I just wanted to make it more explicit :)
www.scmastering.com / email: macc at subvertmastering dot com
macc

http://www.scmastering.com , maac at subvertmastering dot com
Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
5 times

Postby elyhess » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:47 pm

This thread is extremely helpful :)
elyhess

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
2 times

Postby BaseBass » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks macc =). I Appreciate the tips!
BaseBass

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby elyhess » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:54 pm

I got a question! So i edited my song a little more, decided to put in a riser in the intro to build up suspense, my intro peaks abouut -6 to -4 db, what db should i put my riser at?

this might be a silly question, should i just turn it up to where it is present and sounds nice in the mix? or should i set it specifically?
elyhess

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
2 times

Postby laurend » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Peak levels are meaningless for loudness.
So you should just turn it up to where it is present and sounds nice. That's mixing.
laurend

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby elyhess » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:08 pm

laurend wrote:Peak levels are meaningless for loudness.
So you should just turn it up to where it is present and sounds nice. That's mixing.

ok thank you for clearing that up! Sorry for the lack of knowledge, gotta start somewhere i guess
elyhess

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
2 times

Postby Redderious » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:33 pm

big ups to macc!
Chick Chick, uhhhhhh. Rubba Boolets.

Egyptian Rasta:
https://soundcloud.com/redderious/egyptian-rasta
Redderious

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby charliefoy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:46 pm

elyhess wrote:
laurend wrote:Peak levels are meaningless for loudness.

ok thank you for clearing that up! Sorry for the lack of knowledge, gotta start somewhere i guess

Yeah don't rely on numbers. Just use your ears to judge weather it is too loud/quiet.
charliefoy

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
1 time

PreviousNext

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical