Witch House

?

Postby static_cast » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:23 am

I guess I must be late to the pigeonhole, but this is pretty much the worst genre name since the beginning of music, right?

EDIT: some of it sounds quite good though
o b j e k t
static_cast

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby fractal » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:19 am

a rose by any other name....

all of our music has hilarious names, ie funky, future garage, "house and garage", dubstep, etc... don't let it bother you :mrgreen:
sub.wise:.
slow down

epochalypso wrote:man dun no bout da 'nuum
fractal
Mako

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
2 times

Postby nakedlunch » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:37 am

static_cast wrote: pretty much the worst genre name since the beginning of music, right?

Dubstep is still the worst.
http://www.surus.co.uk/naked-lunch/
http://www.youtube.com/user/mickylunch
http://soundcloud.com/nakedlunch

Forthcoming in 2013 - Kevin McPhee , Stingray313 , Endian ,Nubian Mindz...
nakedlunch

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
3 times

Postby deepfiend » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:16 am

nakedlunch wrote:
static_cast wrote: pretty much the worst genre name since the beginning of music, right?

Dubstep is still the worst.

Hi-NRG, IDM and electronica are far worse
With Eyes That Glint In The Night, And Curves That Swerve With Every Shift In Gear

Spam Chop wrote:I like to draw on giant pieces of white wood, does this sound like something that would interest you?

Firky wrote:mate you're so underground you shit wombles
deepfiend

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby qwaycee_ » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:08 pm

yeah all genre names are garbage.

its just that some have survived longer than others, and every once in awhile a new one surfaces.
qwaycee_

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby hackman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:03 pm

fractal wrote:a rose by any other name....

all of our music has hilarious names, ie funky, future garage, "house and garage", dubstep, etc... don't let it bother you :mrgreen:

-w-
DUED YOR LIEK SOO FANNY

:D:
finji wrote:Hey hackman your a fucking nutter

http://soundcloud.com/hackman/just-want-your-clothes-96kbps
hackman

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
1 time

Postby static_cast » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:08 pm

thinking about it if someone came up with "heavy metal" now I'd probably laugh at them

but i do like that witch house is also known as "haunted house"
o b j e k t
static_cast

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby benq » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:12 pm

witch house is not a genre. witch house is an undanceable bullshit musical fad started by white suburban stnuc, who just ripped off skweee sounds from the swedes/norwegians, and threw it together with chopped and screwed from early 90s hip-hop culture.

you know how i can tell it's not legit, and won't last? because half the twats who make it have unpronouneable, ungoogleable names with triangles, crosses, and other stupid stuff in them to distract from the fact that really, their music is just a bunch of shite.
The Plc Soundcloud
Feedback appreciated.

Preacha wrote:I need to know who made this before I can decide whether I like it or not

Don't let this happen to you.
benq

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby ddia » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:56 pm

well I like it. and if someones white and from a suburb why are they a tnuc?
bun a forum
ddia

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby capo ultra » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:50 pm

I'm assuming he was stating that they are white suburban AND stnuc. The three aren't inextricably linked. Salem are a bunch of tool though, it's the fact that they are so obviously suburban white hipsters who pretend they go to footwork clubs and the first record they listened to was DJ Nate. Bullshit. My first record was Mr Blobby or something.
what is of value and wisdom for one man seems nonsense to another.
capo ultra

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby groucho_marxx » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:24 pm

capo ultra wrote:I'm assuming he was stating that they are white suburban AND stnuc. The three aren't inextricably linked. Salem are a bunch of tool though, it's the fact that they are so obviously suburban white hipsters who pretend they go to footwork clubs and the first record they listened to was DJ Nate. Bullshit. My first record was Mr Blobby or something.

My first record was paul hardcastle :t:
groucho_marxx
House Forum Moderator

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
1 time

Postby macgregor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:31 pm

capo ultra wrote:I'm assuming he was stating that they are white suburban AND stnuc. The three aren't inextricably linked. Salem are a bunch of tool though, it's the fact that they are so obviously suburban white hipsters who pretend they go to footwork clubs and the first record they listened to was DJ Nate. Bullshit. My first record was Mr Blobby or something.

DJ Nate is 20 years old and is not really apart of the footwork scene in Chicago.

Some Witch House music is sick though, check out oOoOO, Dream Boat, Balam Acab, and Holy Other (who's remixed Mosca before :h: ).
strictly vinyl. strictly rotary. strictly old men with beards.
macgregor

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby hutyluty » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:12 pm

Yeah the whole unpronouncable name thing gets a bit tiring after a bit, especially when you're trying to talk to someone about which artists youre liking.

I came across this sick track the other day in a mix and now i'll never find it again due to it being called $///|||\\&8) or something
[+] Spoiler
Phigure wrote:nothing was ever good
hutyluty

Has Bigged up!:
41 times
Been Bigged up!:
31 times

Postby ohoi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:16 pm

hypnagogic pop, coined by david keenan is still the worst for me...witch house is equally bad though... so is "idm", which is pretensious by itself since it states that if dance music isn't categorizable in that glitch + breaks combo it's not intelligent... ahaha

most so called "witch house" stuff in unintersting and not very imaginitive anyway so i don't care about it that much...
ohoi

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby grotbags » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:21 pm

I knew it wouldn't be long till all the narrow minded people from the main board would end up in the house forum with their narrow minded opinions.
grotbags

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby benq » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:26 pm

being vocal about an opinion doesn't make someone narrow minded.

i've listened to a fair sampling of the shit. i don't mind some of it, and i can say that salem's album wasn't terrible. but that doesn't make it good or original. it's a veyr appropriate musical style for the current culture/scene. recycling old shit that someone did before you and trying to claim that it's new.

everyone recycles to a certain extent, but this is just a whole other level or artistic parasitism.
The Plc Soundcloud
Feedback appreciated.

Preacha wrote:I need to know who made this before I can decide whether I like it or not

Don't let this happen to you.
benq

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby ohoi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:44 pm

benq wrote:being vocal about an opinion doesn't make someone narrow minded.

i've listened to a fair sampling of the shit. i don't mind some of it, and i can say that salem's album wasn't terrible. but that doesn't make it good or original. it's a veyr appropriate musical style for the current culture/scene. recycling old shit that someone did before you and trying to claim that it's new.

everyone recycles to a certain extent, but this is just a whole other level or artistic parasitism.

right on.

music sadly tends to work in cycles so yeah , they recycle a lot of stuff indeed,also lot of this ahs been around since 70s...kosmic german rock...late 80s ambient with darker conotations such as lustmord, it even scratches on eno's work in mid 70s..shoegaze,pop...
but to me what i find unapealing is the whole basic aesthetic,vague contents, it doesn't add up to their whole panoply of influences,some times it's just like a cheap mix of copies. i was listening to the xlr8r podcast by salem and it was just agonalizingly to hear, i mean music must not be technically proficient all the time, (by the contrary, look at noise,it surpasses every aesthethic, and 90% is just lashing out on buttons and power electronics, but still a good listen) but as far as the witch house groups and artists, that super slowed down tempo, and cheap drones + casio chords & badly processed vocals and snares,doesn't get to me at all...at least most acts..there are still some that i found out to be ok...
ohoi

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby koo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:00 pm

Tri Angle fact mix is good. I dont quite understand all the hate surrounding this genre/style/whatever
koo

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby groucho_marxx » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:44 pm

koo wrote:Tri Angle fact mix is good. I dont quite understand all the hate surrounding this genre/style/whatever

I dont think its hate, its merely opinion. :4:

But remember this is a music forum, its regulation to have 5 pages of debate over genre names at least 3 times a year!
groucho_marxx
House Forum Moderator

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
1 time

Postby tom_lea » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:13 am

witch house is not a genre. witch house is an undanceable bullshit musical fad started by white suburban stnuc, who just ripped off skweee sounds from the swedes/norwegians

i really dont think many, if any of the dudes you're thinking of have been ripping off skweee.
in the eyes of the lord i drive a spaceship.

LOCAL ACTION RECORDS
tom_lea

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Next

Return to House