How to get FL tracks sounding tight?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby Perej » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Hey guys,

I'm having a few problems with FL 10.

Mainly, I just can't get the track to sound 'tight'. It sounds reasonable enough in FL itself, but when I up it to soundcloud it sounds shoddy even though I export it in 320 every time. Any reason for this?

Could it be that FL has slightly inferior sound quality? I wish Ramadanman could show me how he uses it, hehe.

I'm just a bit confused about the 'mixdown', I don't even really know what that means, but I know the moneyshot thread is pretty piss poor if your a beginner to it such as myself. Does the mixdown really matter that much when it comes to making everything sound crisp?

Vague questions I know, but hey.
Perej

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby 3za » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:42 pm

Perej wrote:but when I up it to soundcloud it sounds shoddy

Thats your problem, SC stream is of a shoddy quality. I sometimes get some horrid artifacts on top of my subs on SC.

Perej wrote:Could it be that FL has slightly inferior sound quality?

Nah...

Perej wrote:Does the mixdown really matter that much when it comes to making everything sound crisp?

Yes, that is what mixdown is all about. Its the process of getting all the individual tracks to sound good together, as one stereo track (or what other format your mixing down to).
Last edited by 3za on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.
3za

Has Bigged up!:
4 times
Been Bigged up!:
4 times

Postby ehbrums1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:45 pm

The moneyshot thread is a gold mine you just have to take the time to read it
https://soundcloud.com/dentamusic
https://twitter.com/dentamusic
kylekronez wrote:Sorry for the fact I'm real.

magma wrote: Makes you feel like a monsoon of bald eagle tears rained down, swelling the Mississippi and forging the Grand Canyon with pure, unadulterated manifest destiny.
ehbrums1

Has Bigged up!:
72 times
Been Bigged up!:
300 times

Postby MassAphekt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:54 pm

bro I got the exact problem, but I already am aware of soundclouds compression methods.
Everything sounds amazing and so full of energy and clarity in asio mode in fl studio but once I render in WAV and listen to on itunes, soundcloud or traktor pro (in asio mode as well) it sounds like I did a poor job in mixdowns when in reality or virtually within fl studio it sounds amazing :(
MassAphekt

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby 3za » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:11 am

MassAphekt wrote:bro I got the exact problem, but I already am aware of soundclouds compression methods.
Everything sounds amazing and so full of energy and clarity in asio mode in fl studio but once I render in WAV and listen to on itunes, soundcloud or traktor pro (in asio mode as well) it sounds like I did a poor job in mixdowns when in reality or virtually within fl studio it sounds amazing :(

You listening at the same volume?
You got all the crap in itunes turned off?
What setting are you using on the bounce (export) page?

It may be a change in your perception. When I use to be really into drawing, I would call something done, but as soon as I comeback to look at it I would start to see things that were missing/wronge. So I would rework it, think it was finished again. Then when I next looked at it, I would see some other things missing/wronge, and have to rework it again. That went on untill I just called it a day.
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.
3za

Has Bigged up!:
4 times
Been Bigged up!:
4 times

Postby mthrfnk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:19 am

First of all, SC transcodes to 128kbps so anything will probably lose a lot of clarity. The volume of SC can also be sporadically different from the volume level iTunes or FL may output at.

Secondly, mixdown makes all the difference, no one wants to hear your sub, mids and drums all at the same level fighting to be heard.

Thirdly, maybe take a look at some "mastering" plugins such as iZotope Ozone. I know a lot of people here frown upon it but I like to use it to help me quickly "master" uploads of my WIPs/Demos to share online, I'm using the term master loosely because I probably wouldn't use the software to master a final copy of a track. Also, I'd steer clear of FL's limiter plugin on the master channel if your using it.

Finally, check your output settings, make sure you're outputting at the highest possible settings.
mthrfnk

Has Bigged up!:
3 times
Been Bigged up!:
16 times

Postby ehbrums1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:17 am

just remember, turning things down in the mixer and properly eqing is better than slamming the fader all the way up..
https://soundcloud.com/dentamusic
https://twitter.com/dentamusic
kylekronez wrote:Sorry for the fact I'm real.

magma wrote: Makes you feel like a monsoon of bald eagle tears rained down, swelling the Mississippi and forging the Grand Canyon with pure, unadulterated manifest destiny.
ehbrums1

Has Bigged up!:
72 times
Been Bigged up!:
300 times

Postby Lectric » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:42 am

Lets not try to put all the blame on the DAW here. I truly believe it is as said above, a change in perception. You hear the song differently when you dont see the DAW in front of you. You are more critical of the track because you arent in a position to change it at that moment.
<keep it heavy>
Lectric

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby MassAphekt » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:51 am

3za wrote:
MassAphekt wrote:bro I got the exact problem, but I already am aware of soundclouds compression methods.

You listening at the same volume?
You got all the crap in itunes turned off?
What setting are you using on the bounce (export) page?

It may be a change in your perception. When I use to be really into drawing, I would call something done, but as soon as I comeback to look at it I would start to see things that were missing/wronge. So I would rework it, think it was finished again. Then when I next looked at it, I would see some other things missing/wronge, and have to rework it again. That went on untill I just called it a day.

I listen at same volume, I always put eq to flat on itunes as well as anything else I use, I use 24bit wav 512point sync as rendering
and true enough, but these errors are much noticeable than the affect of ear fatigue, like noticeably imbalanced mixtures that were never there, even with a fresh pair of ears lol
MassAphekt

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby MassAphekt » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:52 am

Lectric wrote:Lets not try to put all the blame on the DAW here. I truly believe it is as said above, a change in perception. You hear the song differently when you dont see the DAW in front of you. You are more critical of the track because you arent in a position to change it at that moment.

that's true too my friend, but I always turn the monitor off and close my eyes whenever reviewing my days work in mixdowns, and these alterings I find in my rendered work is far too noticeable to say it's nothing but ear fatigue and visual stimulation
MassAphekt

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby MassAphekt » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:54 am

I appreciate your guys input btw, it's still a problem but I'm gonna get to the bottom of it lol
MassAphekt

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby RandoRando » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:12 am

MassAphekt wrote:
Lectric wrote:Lets not try to put all the blame on the DAW here. I truly believe it is as said above, a change in perception. You hear the song differently when you dont see the DAW in front of you. You are more critical of the track because you arent in a position to change it at that moment.

that's true too my friend, but I always turn the monitor off and close my eyes whenever reviewing my days work in mixdowns, and these alterings I find in my rendered work is far too noticeable to say it's nothing but ear fatigue and visual stimulation

Don't turn your monitors off, how will you hear your track then?
RandoRando

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
2 times

Postby blinkesko » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:38 am

RandoRando wrote:
MassAphekt wrote:

Don't turn your monitors off, how will you hear your track then?

The screen = the monitor, haha :p
blinkesko

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
9 times

Postby wub » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:40 am

Perej wrote:Mainly, I just can't get the track to sound 'tight'. It sounds reasonable enough in FL itself, but when I up it to soundcloud it sounds shoddy even though I export it in 320 every time. Any reason for this?

SC's compression technique reduces the playback bitrate and compresses the track leading to the signal degrading.

Perej wrote:Could it be that FL has slightly inferior sound quality?

No.

Perej wrote:I'm just a bit confused about the 'mixdown', I don't even really know what that means, but I know the moneyshot thread is pretty piss poor if your a beginner to it such as myself. Does the mixdown really matter that much when it comes to making everything sound crisp?

Audio Mixing - Wiki definition

Mixdowns for Beginners v1.05 by Tarekith

Those links might help.
JFK wrote:Wub is the DSF comedy master.

It's not who I am underneath, but my actions that define me

http://soundcloud.com/worldwidewub

AIM - wub2028
wub
Global moderator

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
540 times

Postby Perej » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks Wub, excellent resources.

While im on here, may aswell ask - When I record on FL into the step sequencer the notes get stuck - the first one I lay down keeps playing under the other ones, it seems impossible to record just a few notes at a time individually cos they keep getting stuck and playing over eachother.

Tips?
cheers
Perej

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby wub » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:36 pm

Perej wrote:Thanks Wub, excellent resources.

While im on here, may aswell ask - When I record on FL into the step sequencer the notes get stuck - the first one I lay down keeps playing under the other ones, it seems impossible to record just a few notes at a time individually cos they keep getting stuck and playing over eachother.

Tips?
cheers

Sounds like it may be an issue with the ADSR envelope of the instrument that you're using. Adjust the settings and see if that makes a difference.
JFK wrote:Wub is the DSF comedy master.

It's not who I am underneath, but my actions that define me

http://soundcloud.com/worldwidewub

AIM - wub2028
wub
Global moderator

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
540 times

Postby ChadDub » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Perej wrote:Thanks Wub, excellent resources.

Tips?
cheers

Right click the thing, click Cut Itself.
ChadDub

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
4 times

Postby Sharmaji » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:32 pm

keep itunes open while working and constantly reference other mixes.
twitter.com/sharmabeats
twitter.com/SubSwara
subswara.com
myspace.com/davesharma
Low Motion Records, Soul Motive, TKG, Daly City, Mercury UK
Sharmaji

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
10 times

Postby sylphin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:28 pm

people might think this is a bit of a shoddy way of doing things or a cop out, but i use fl10 aswell, and i agree that it doesent really POP at you, so i use the soundgoodizer on th the master, have the dial about half way on setting A, naturally i do seperate EQ'ing and levelling on all my tracks, im not that lazy haha ;) but yeah try putting a soundgoodizer on the master along with your usual mixing processes, guarantee you your mixes will sound alot nicer instantly!
sylphin

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby nowaysj » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:46 pm

Sharmaji wrote:keep itunes open while working and constantly reference other mixes.

Sharmaji wrote:keep itunes open while working and constantly reference other mixes.

nowaysj

Has Bigged up!:
1778 times
Been Bigged up!:
687 times

Next

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical