How to get a dungeon style heavy sub?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby 3rdeye » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 pm

Sinestepper wrote:I wasn't. I just said I would never overdrive a pure sine sub. That's not an anything production technique. Im all for putting distortion on things sure, but not on the sub 100hz frequencies.
But yep, lets all have a big gay man hug.
:w:

well maybe you should try it.

a sine wave has no harmonics, only the fundamental, so in order to add warmth/power and to allow subs to really hit hard on big systems (and be heard more clearly on smaller ones), harmonics need to be introduced. This is a standard production technique tbh.

I usually introduce harmonics on the drive control on the filter section, then LPF, rather than using an overdrive plug - though I've done that in quite a few tracks too.
Subtitles | Area Recordings | Muti Music | Requiem Audio | Subway | Gradient Audio
http://www.soundcloud.com/3rdeye
3rdeye

Has Bigged up!:
11 times
Been Bigged up!:
4 times

Postby Sinestepper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:37 pm

I have tried it. I didn't like it ,I tend to just use the basic analog wavetable in thor on reason, turn the wavetable all the way down and there is an already nicely saturated sine perfect for subs. I wasn't saying don't introduce harmonics, I just don't like the ideas of distorting in any way your sub because it looses its weightiness imo. but its all personal preference. And as I said i do it by getting a separate synth with a more harmonically rich sound, low pass it and then eq out the sub frequencies and copy the sub notes into that track. We all do things differently :D
Soundcloud
Twitter
Collaborative project with kai li:
http://soundcloud.com/genrli
Sinestepper

Has Bigged up!:
53 times
Been Bigged up!:
62 times

Postby ehbrums1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:18 am

Sinestepper wrote:I have tried it. I didn't like it ,I tend to just use the basic analog wavetable in thor on reason, turn the wavetable all the way down and there is an already nicely saturated sine perfect for subs. I wasn't saying don't introduce harmonics, I just don't like the ideas of distorting in any way your sub because it looses its weightiness imo. but its all personal preference. And as I said i do it by getting a separate synth with a more harmonically rich sound, low pass it and then eq out the sub frequencies and copy the sub notes into that track. We all do things differently :D

this with an lfo on the volume
https://soundcloud.com/dentamusic
https://twitter.com/dentamusic
kylekronez wrote:Sorry for the fact I'm real.

magma wrote: Makes you feel like a monsoon of bald eagle tears rained down, swelling the Mississippi and forging the Grand Canyon with pure, unadulterated manifest destiny.
ehbrums1

Has Bigged up!:
70 times
Been Bigged up!:
294 times

Postby joegrizzly » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 am

3rdeye wrote:
Sinestepper wrote:I wasn't. I just said I would never overdrive a pure sine sub. That's not an anything production technique. Im all for putting distortion on things sure, but not on the sub 100hz frequencies.

a sine wave has no harmonics, only the fundamental, so in order to add warmth/power and to allow subs to really hit hard on big systems (and be heard more clearly on smaller ones), harmonics need to be introduced. This is a standard production technique tbh.

I usually introduce harmonics on the drive control on the filter section, then LPF, rather than using an overdrive plug - though I've done that in quite a few tracks too.

I'd rather have my sub felt more than heard, if that makes any sense lol
joegrizzly

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby sunny_b_uk » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:51 am

its only worth experimenting with a sine in that way if you have proper monitors and if your used to using them.
try distorting a sinewave sub a lot but then highpass it to whatever frequency you feel like and add a regular sine under it (or you can just route the one sub to 2 channels) it makes it sound like the speakers are rattling more (i guess) and you dont mess up the sub's impact in any way as well.
sunny_b_uk

Has Bigged up!:
2 times
Been Bigged up!:
2 times

Postby epoxy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:56 pm

sine wave no processing besides a drop in pitch, any further processing ruins the sub, for higher harmonics and to make it sound fatter layer in a second low mid bass around 100 to 300hz normally a sine or square with some form of distortion
epoxy

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Earjax » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 pm

epoxy wrote:sine wave no processing besides a drop in pitch, any further processing ruins the sub, for higher harmonics and to make it sound fatter layer in a second low mid bass around 100 to 300hz normally a sine or square with some form of distortion

Do not agree sorry bud
Earjax

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby coogcoo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:50 am

epoxy wrote:sine wave no processing besides a drop in pitch, any further processing ruins the sub, for higher harmonics and to make it sound fatter layer in a second low mid bass around 100 to 300hz normally a sine or square with some form of distortion

tried this and love the way it sounds

gives you much more control over that top layer of bass, i'd recommend it thx for the tip! :W:

i still do like overdriving the sub itself just a little though... decimort rules
coogcoo

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Earjax » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:25 pm

By harmonics we do mean harmonics below 100hz , also +1 for decimort by far my favorite distortion unit, so simple yet so effective
Earjax

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby press » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:30 pm

3rdeye wrote:

im having a hard time understanding why people are denying this technique. A nicle tube saturated sine sub is the fatness. Maybe not gonna work with all mixes but this is a widely used technique to get that extra umph on subs.
Shift./Onset/Requiem/Gamma/Paradise Lost/Sub Pressure/Gradient/WattHZ/2012/Rottun/Kursed/Betamorph
http://soundcloud.com/press_shift/sets/press-the-meridian-ep/
press

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby coogcoo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:57 am

press wrote:
3rdeye wrote:

im having a hard time understanding why people are denying this technique. A nicle tube saturated sine sub is the fatness. Maybe not gonna work with all mixes but this is a widely used technique to get that extra umph on subs.

this is why king tubby's bass is so huge
coogcoo

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Previous

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical