use of swing and shuffle/ making things groove

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby 46and2 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:30 am

When it comes to allot of the "post dub step", garage stuff etc like Zomby, pangaea, pariah, disclosure etc, What sort of tricks are being implemented to give the drums that bouncy swing in general? Is it as simple as laying down a pattern, adjust some velocities of the hits and then turn the shuffle knob up? Or are there other things at work here?

Any tips on this area would be very helpful.
46and2

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby 3za » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:35 am

Turn the grid off
Play things in
Use groove templates/make your own
Use sample sources with natural swing
etc
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.
3za

Has Bigged up!:
4 times
Been Bigged up!:
4 times

Postby SunkLo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:50 am

Yeah I either play in my drums or program them with snap turned off and just naturally put them off the grid wherever they should be. Usually every other eighth note will be a little bit late and every second sixteenth note will be a little later than that. Exactly how syncopated it is depends on the pattern at any given moment and what's being accented. I'll pull the swing in or out too depending on the pattern or section of the track. Sometimes you can tighten up a drum part and it completely changes.

It's a bit sad that swing and shuffle evokes references to "post dubstep" now instead of just dubstep. :|
I guess I'm still coming to terms with the idea that we're living in the era of post-swing post-dub post-bass dubstep.
Blaze it -4.20dB

nowaysj wrote:Raising a girl in this jizz filled world is not the easiest thing.

Phigure wrote:I haven't heard such a beautiful thing since that time Jesus sang Untrue

If I ever get banned I'll come back as SpunkLo, just you mark my words.
SunkLo

Has Bigged up!:
81 times
Been Bigged up!:
168 times

Postby mks » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:04 am

I attribute that to peeps not knowing where the "step" in dubstep came from.
mks

Has Bigged up!:
18 times
Been Bigged up!:
78 times

Postby mks » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:10 am

On the subject of swing though, a lot of that classic swing is actually a quantize function. Like old MPC or Linn drum swing for instance.

If I recall, El-B says he only applies swing to the hi-hats but not the kicks and snares.
mks

Has Bigged up!:
18 times
Been Bigged up!:
78 times

Postby 3za » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:30 am

mks wrote:I attribute that to peeps not knowing where the "step" in dubstep came from.

Bruv, init to do with Mala havin a wobble doorstep or sumfing.

Post dubstep swing, and early dubstep swing are 2 different things. Thats why OP said, "post dubstep" well at least thats what I'm thinking to save some heart.
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.
3za

Has Bigged up!:
4 times
Been Bigged up!:
4 times

Postby fragments » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:31 am

mks wrote:On the subject of swing though, a lot of that classic swing is actually a quantize function. Like old MPC or Linn drum swing for instance.

If I recall, El-B says he only applies swing to the hi-hats but not the kicks and snares.

I think I recall him also stating he swings only the hats that fall between a kick and a snare?
http://www.altered-echo.com - Altered Echo: A Creative Commons Sound Mutation Project
http://altered-echo.com/reviews/ Now Reviewing YOUR Music!

SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.
fragments

Has Bigged up!:
116 times
Been Bigged up!:
40 times

Postby mks » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:33 am

I'm just saying for all of the cats that think dubstep started in 2005 or sumtin. That step came straight out of 2-step.
mks

Has Bigged up!:
18 times
Been Bigged up!:
78 times

Postby 3za » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:36 am

Bruv, pretty sure dubstep started when dubway made the forum.
3za

Has Bigged up!:
4 times
Been Bigged up!:
4 times

Postby ChadDub » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:49 am

I made dubstep
ChadDub

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
4 times

Postby bennyfroobs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:58 am

"post dubstep" (feel dirty using that term) swing always seems awkward and disjointed to me, proper dubstep swing is funky and groovy. specially benny ill's old mad 2step beats
TopManLurka wrote: inshallah your ears find their path in life m7.
skenglev wrote:riddim to make gyal smudge her lippy
dubunked wrote:CHAT ▄▄█▀▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀ GET INVERTED
bennyfroobs

Has Bigged up!:
100 times
Been Bigged up!:
170 times

Postby SunkLo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 am

3za wrote:Bruv, pretty sure dubstep started when dubway made the forum.

Dubstep was born when DSF upgraded to the neon theme blessup fam turgid perpendiculars

Soon Skrillex will be moderator of the sound design subforum.
Blaze it -4.20dB

nowaysj wrote:Raising a girl in this jizz filled world is not the easiest thing.

Phigure wrote:I haven't heard such a beautiful thing since that time Jesus sang Untrue

SunkLo

Has Bigged up!:
81 times
Been Bigged up!:
168 times

Postby ehbrums1 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:10 am

your neck should be swingin brother
https://soundcloud.com/dentamusic
https://twitter.com/dentamusic
kylekronez wrote:Sorry for the fact I'm real.

magma wrote: Makes you feel like a monsoon of bald eagle tears rained down, swelling the Mississippi and forging the Grand Canyon with pure, unadulterated manifest destiny.
ehbrums1

Has Bigged up!:
70 times
Been Bigged up!:
294 times

Postby SunkLo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:08 am

My neck only swings at the thirteenth partial of the Schumann resonance bro, if you know what I mean...
Blaze it -4.20dB

SunkLo

Has Bigged up!:
81 times
Been Bigged up!:
168 times

Postby 46and2 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:10 am

SunkLo wrote:Yeah I either play in my drums or program them with snap turned off and just naturally put them off the grid wherever they should be. Usually every other eighth note will be a little bit late and every second sixteenth note will be a little later than that. Exactly how syncopated it is depends on the pattern at any given moment and what's being accented. I'll pull the swing in or out too depending on the pattern or section of the track. Sometimes you can tighten up a drum part and it completely changes.

It's a bit sad that swing and shuffle evokes references to "post dubstep" now instead of just dubstep. :|
I guess I'm still coming to terms with the idea that we're living in the era of post-swing post-dub post-bass dubstep.

very interesting about every other eighth being a bit late and every second sixteenth being later... How did you come up with this?

* as for the genre thing, I really dont know what genre these artists belong to as I am from north america in a small place where literally no one has even heard of any of this music. However I am listening to lots of those hessle audio guys: pangaea, pariah, pearson sound, is that what post dubstep even is? I have no idea?

Where do artists like zomby fall in?
46and2

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby SunkLo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:57 am

It's pretty standard syncopation. If you recursively split things in half and delay the second half, you get that kind of swing pattern.

There's a hierarchy of notes in terms of stability. The more stable the note, the less you'll want it to be off time. The downbeat shouldn't be delayed, but you can pull the snare back a little bit. The hats in between are even less "load bearers" if you will, so they can be delayed even further.

Sometimes swing consists of sixteenth notes approaching the timing of triplet eighth notes.
Blaze it -4.20dB

SunkLo

Has Bigged up!:
81 times
Been Bigged up!:
168 times

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical