sub-genres of dubstep

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby bass hertz » Tue May 26, 2009 1:59 am

dubstep IS a sub genre then really. of electronic music. or the slow electronic sub genre of psypolka.
bass hertz
Permanent Vacation

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby pidge » Tue May 26, 2009 2:07 am

bass hertz wrote:dubstep IS a sub genre then really. of electronic music. or the slow electronic sub genre of psypolka.
yeah thats right theres two genres, Electronic music and Instrument music.

:roll:
pidge

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby ascii » Tue May 26, 2009 2:28 am

pidge wrote:
bass hertz wrote:dubstep IS a sub genre then really. of electronic music. or the slow electronic sub genre of psypolka.
yeah thats right theres two genres, Electronic music and Instrument music.

:roll:

+1

Electronic, Electronica, EDM are not genres.

And personally I love sub genres. They allow you to classify a certain style.

For example without sub genres you would go to a Drum & Bass night expecting to hear LTJ, Omni Trio, Big Bud etc and end up hearing Hype, Clipz and Mampi.
ImageImageImageImage
ascii

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby bass hertz » Tue May 26, 2009 2:48 am

sub genres are necessary even outside of music.

for example:

it's your grandmothers birthday and she wants to go see a nice movie set in the mountains and with cowboys.

would you take her to see Broke Back Mountain??

Or maybe she wants to go hear some "dance" music. would you take her to see Lenny Dee or Evol Intent?
bass hertz
Permanent Vacation

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby ascii » Tue May 26, 2009 3:24 am

bass hertz wrote:sub genres are necessary even outside of music.

for example:

it's your grandmothers birthday and she wants to go see a nice movie set in the mountains and with cowboys.

would you take her to see Broke Back Mountain??

Or maybe she wants to go hear some "dance" music. would you take her to see Lenny Dee or Evol Intent?

Dance music isn't a genre :evil:

Add it to my list of EDM, Electronic & Electronica.

But I totally agree on the fact that sub genres help in classification. I don't know why people whine on about sub genres; they're only restricting if you (as a producer) are trying to go fit into a certain style, or market.

If you make music you want to and it just happens to fit into a genre and sub genre that's great; however if you say that sub genres are restricting, obviously you are too concerned with what other people class your music as.

What I'm trying to say is:
Chill out and make the music you want to regardless of sub/genre, leave the classification of genre to the listener and record label.
ImageImageImageImage
ascii

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby pets bud » Tue May 26, 2009 8:49 am

Deadly Habit wrote:i like cackstep

+1
http://soundcloud.com/frostekz/that-world-scbb-9
Im not saying im number one, oh sorry I lied, im number 1,2,3,4 and phive...
pets bud

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby ascii » Tue May 26, 2009 12:59 pm

Eops wrote:House is the light - everything else is just part of the spectrum coming out the other side of the prism ... (man!)

8)

ImageImageImageImage
ascii

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby sifres » Tue May 26, 2009 1:08 pm

Eops wrote:House is the light - everything else is just part of the spectrum coming out the other side of the prism ... (man!)

8)

That's a real cool quote, even though it smells like reefer :P
6 afraid of 7 cause 7 8 9
sifres

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby akilles » Tue May 26, 2009 1:31 pm

yellowhighlighter wrote:
Constrobuz wrote:i dont know why some of you shit heads dislike subgenres so much. it's convenient. it'd be nice to have a name for the dubstep that's shit wobbles + brutal electro + offbeat stabs + stupid ass reggae/dub vocal sampes + stupid ass movie/tv samples, so i can stay away from it.

well sub-genres exist a lot more in EDM because the music is played mainly at clubs by DJs. it is easier to have sub-genres because it allows the club goers and DJs know what they are getting themselves into to. drum n bass has a fair few offshoots and most of them are rubbish. i just call it all dnb.

the same should be true of dubstep. there have been actual topics on this forum about wheter or not to place your snare on the 3 because if you tried anything different it would make it less likely your tune would get played. lazy DJs promote lazy producers when it comes to dance music.

the problem with sub-genres is that they basically encourage people to become copy cats. in a sense all the sub genres of the underground dance scene mimic the large pop music groups churned out by the massive record labels. if somebody tries something different in a song it doesn't have to become a new sub genre. the very minute that happens it gives people the right to rip it off completely.

if you want to avoid dubstep you don't like then avoid artists you don't like. people want everything done for them.

Really well put.

I recently sent a mix to an indie/electro/gash night that advertises itself as playing dubstep. Sent her a mix, had stuff like breakage, synkro, DJG, emalkay, matt-u etc. She pretty much said that she like the skream song i'd put in the (filth) and would prefer more stuff like that i.e. "have you got any dubstepz? like casper and ruskoo?"...now I'm pretty much all against the whole sub-genre thing but this had kinda made me think about it. I think I'm against it from when I was really into metal and every month there would be some sort of death-core or tech-grind or whatever genre being talked about.

I did have a point in mind when i started this post but i think i might have lost it now.

Oh yeah where's my money got played in some standard club i was in last night...along with night...and in for the kill remix...died a little inside.
akilles

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby bass hertz » Tue May 26, 2009 1:42 pm

8)

So house music is the light - then everything else is a gay sub genre?

bass hertz
Permanent Vacation

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby ascii » Tue May 26, 2009 1:59 pm

Eops wrote:Like it or not without the gay disco scene you wouldnt have dubstep, drum and bass, techno, broken beats and all that good stuff - I say right on! :P

Funk > Disco 8)
ImageImageImageImage
ascii

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby bass hertz » Tue May 26, 2009 2:02 pm

:butt step:
bass hertz
Permanent Vacation

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby MidnightMassDubstep » Wed May 27, 2009 1:14 pm

In answer to the question:
Substep - Digital Mystikz, Mala, them lot
Midrange Cackstep - Rusko, Caspa, Skream, there are exeptions with them lot though
Ganjastep - Kromestar, Cotti, Cluekid, though this one's a bit vague.

That's what I split my dubstep into, helps if I'm only in the mood for substep or whatever.
http://soundcloud.com/fixxa
Badman Juice wrote:what is a funt and why does it need a case?
MidnightMassDubstep

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Previous

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical