Zomby interview in FADER

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
bandshell
Posts: 9103
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by bandshell » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:40 pm

szyslak wrote:
fractal wrote:
corpsey wrote:That dental appointment comparison would work if the nurse had paid him a couple of hundred quid to have his teeth pulled out for the entertainment of an audience.
im sure he didnt get paid for events he couldnt make it to tho

promoters are a sketchy lot anyway
This would depend if his agent takes deposits off the promoter or not, if this is the case they may not always get the money back. Even if this isn't the case there is still the money spent on flights and hotels which is normally non refundable. Still, does make good tunes, maybe he should stick to that.
Moe?

sporg
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:40 pm

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by sporg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 pm

fractal wrote:
corpsey wrote:That dental appointment comparison would work if the nurse had paid him a couple of hundred quid to have his teeth pulled out for the entertainment of an audience.
im sure he didnt get paid for events he couldnt make it to tho

promoters are a sketchy lot anyway
IME artists are rather sketchier than promoters who always lose financially when they get a cancellation

bandshell
Posts: 9103
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by bandshell » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:44 pm

sporg wrote:
fractal wrote:
corpsey wrote:That dental appointment comparison would work if the nurse had paid him a couple of hundred quid to have his teeth pulled out for the entertainment of an audience.
im sure he didnt get paid for events he couldnt make it to tho

promoters are a sketchy lot anyway
IME artists are rather sketchier than promoters who always lose financially when they get a cancellation
Artists make music, promoters make money.

sporg
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:40 pm

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by sporg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:50 pm

other way round. artist nearly always gets paid, promoter takes the hit. perhaps u should have tried promoting dubstep a few years ago

slugabed
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: uk
Contact:

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by slugabed » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:58 pm

yeah i'd say 90% of promoters i know break even as standard, whereas djs go home with couple hundred quid in their pocks

nicenice
Posts: 3485
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: London

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by nicenice » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:59 pm

Soon he's gonna be doing an MF Doom and getting imposters too dj for him. I think hes just doing it for the image, you know adding to the mystique and all that. Still I reckon if he did turn up he would drop a hard set.

bandshell
Posts: 9103
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by bandshell » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:00 pm

I was referring to title.

An artist makes art, promoters are salesmen. I said that because someone earlier said promoters are sketchier. Anyone who's motivation is money makes me wary.
Last edited by bandshell on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fractal
Mako
Posts: 12133
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:58 pm
Location: emerald city, cascadia

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by fractal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:03 pm

back on topic tho, i enjoyed zomby's views on fashion, nike's and skunk :mrgreen:
sub.wise:.
slow down
epochalypso wrote:man dun no bout da 'nuum

User avatar
rekordah
Posts: 3179
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: PeckNARM
Contact:

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by rekordah » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:09 pm

bandshell wrote: Artists make music, promoters make money.
To be honest dude, this is pretty far from the truth most of the time. Anybody who has ever put on a night in order to have an artist down to play whose music they love and as a result have lost out on a substantial amount of money will be pretty annoyed by that comment. As far as I can see, most promoters are in it to push the music and artists they love, and you'd be a fool if you thought you were gonna make an amount that is anywhere near worth the amount of time and effort you have to put into it. Most of the promoters I know, including myself, are pretty darn happy if they breakeven at the end of the night.

Sure, promoters working on big events which draw a lot of people can be shady characters, no doubt. But I'd say in the majority of the times, when you step into a small scale clubnight, you can pretty much guarantee that the people organising are losing out on money and lots of time and effort so you can have a good time checking out talented artists. It seems like quite a few artists and punters forget that, or they don't have experience doing it themselves so think it's a breeze - which it really isn't.

Rant over.
19th October - Jahtari Presents Tapes EP Launch Party @ Gramaphone, London w/ Tapes, Clause Four & International Observer.
23rd October - Galway, Ireland.
31st October - UFO @ Dojo, Bristol w/ Dema.

http://www.myspace.com/rekorder87

hamual
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:38 pm
Location: IP4

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by hamual » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:17 pm

rekordah wrote:But I'd say in the majority of the times, when you step into a small scale clubnight, you can pretty much guarantee that the people organising are losing out on money and lots of time and effort so you can have a good time checking out talented artists. It seems like quite a few artists and punters forget that, or they don't have experience doing it themselves so think it's a breeze - which it really isn't.
So true.....
Pubstep Show - Mondays 12-2pm GMT on http://www.Sub.fm or listen anytime - http://soundcloud.com/pubstep
PUBSTEP'S XMAS SPESH - Martin Kemp, Tom@RAMP + More - FREE! - TUE DEC 21st [url]hhtp://bit.ly/pubstepdecember[/url]

User avatar
rekordah
Posts: 3179
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: PeckNARM
Contact:

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by rekordah » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:18 pm

Sluga knows wassup.

Months of promotion, postering, flyering, and potentially losing hundreds of pounds at the end of the night. Or showing up, meeting some cool people, getting crunk on free drinks, playing for an hour and leaving with fat pockets. I know which one I like better.
19th October - Jahtari Presents Tapes EP Launch Party @ Gramaphone, London w/ Tapes, Clause Four & International Observer.
23rd October - Galway, Ireland.
31st October - UFO @ Dojo, Bristol w/ Dema.

http://www.myspace.com/rekorder87

bandshell
Posts: 9103
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by bandshell » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:18 pm

rekordah wrote:
bandshell wrote: Artists make music, promoters make money.
To be honest dude, this is pretty far from the truth most of the time. Anybody who has ever put on a night in order to have an artist down to play whose music they love and as a result have lost out on a substantial amount of money will be pretty annoyed by that comment. As far as I can see, most promoters are in it to push the music and artists they love, and you'd be a fool if you thought you were gonna make an amount that is anywhere near worth the amount of time and effort you have to put into it. Most of the promoters I know, including myself, are pretty darn happy if they breakeven at the end of the night.

Sure, promoters working on big events which draw a lot of people can be shady characters, no doubt. But I'd say in the majority of the times, when you step into a small scale clubnight, you can pretty much guarantee that the people organising are losing out on money and lots of time and effort so you can have a good time checking out talented artists. It seems like quite a few artists and punters forget that, or they don't have experience doing it themselves so think it's a breeze - which it really isn't.

Rant over.
I was wondering if someone would come back with a response like this. I agree, I was just trying to be deep. :oops: :lol:

I am wary of anyone who is doing whatever they do to make money though, whether they're an artist, promoter or anything else.

User avatar
rekordah
Posts: 3179
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: PeckNARM
Contact:

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by rekordah » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:31 pm

bandshell wrote: I am wary of anyone who is doing whatever they do to make money though, whether they're an artist, promoter or anything else.
For sure. But like I said before, if someone is gonna get into putting on nights in order to make money then they are in the wrong business. They are exceptions though, some promoters are quite likely to make money at the end of the night due to having a good following and therefore a bigger budget - but even in this situation you gotta respect them because it takes literally years of losing money, month in month out, in order to get to that stage.
19th October - Jahtari Presents Tapes EP Launch Party @ Gramaphone, London w/ Tapes, Clause Four & International Observer.
23rd October - Galway, Ireland.
31st October - UFO @ Dojo, Bristol w/ Dema.

http://www.myspace.com/rekorder87

bandshell
Posts: 9103
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by bandshell » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:33 pm

rekordah wrote:
bandshell wrote: I am wary of anyone who is doing whatever they do to make money though, whether they're an artist, promoter or anything else.
For sure. But like I said before, if someone is gonna get into putting on nights in order to make money then they are in the wrong business. They are exceptions though, some promoters are quite likely to make money at the end of the night due to having a good following and therefore a bigger budget - but even in this situation you gotta respect them because it takes literally years of losing money, month in month out, in order to get to that stage.
fair enough.

sporg
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:40 pm

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by sporg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:55 pm

bandshell wrote:I was referring to title.

An artist makes art, promoters are salesmen. I said that because someone earlier said promoters are sketchier. Anyone who's motivation is money makes me wary.
don't know many promoters in this 'sector' whose motivation is money. they'd best try some fluffy house instead. I don't know, i think there's a lot of misunderstanding about the music 'business'. it's fairly lean down at our end and not much goes on that isn't strictly necessary, so pretty much everyone deserves respect for the job they do.

User avatar
desto
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: Helsinki - Finland

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by desto » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:38 am

Shocker on-topic reply... Nobody get upset now. :D

I enjoyed the interview, very interesting read.

deamonds
Posts: 11392
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by deamonds » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:05 am

bandshell wrote: An artist makes art, promoters are salesmen
what utter bullshit.

User avatar
unlikely
Posts: 1839
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:35 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by unlikely » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:03 pm

bandshell wrote: I am wary of anyone who is doing whatever they do to make money though, whether they're an artist, promoter or anything else.
surely that means you are wary of absolutely everyone in some respect?

coxy
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:28 pm
Location: south London
Contact:

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by coxy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:59 pm

anyone else have trouble viewing that Fader mag download? can't get it to work. on a mac using firefox.

dreamizm
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:05 pm
Location: SW9

Re: Zomby interview in FADER

Post by dreamizm » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Out to Zomby and all the anti-fame crew makin bare sense right now where music is concerned
silkie wrote:people are happy to be ur best friend n shit when they think they can get something out of u, then when they surpass u, they couldnt give a flying fuck about ya. that not dubstep thats life

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests