Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Zomby interview in FADER

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows

Postby Littlefoot » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:19 pm

deamonds wrote:
bandshell wrote:An artist makes art, promoters are salesmen

what utter bullshit.

YEAH.

This attitude sucks

Promoting IS THE thankless task.

If I wanted to make doe, I'd put on an RNB night Oceana
Subsequent Mastering - http://www.subsequentmastering.com
Online Mastering Service
(LOL GURLZ, Geiom, Dexplicit, Bass Clef, Lost Codes Audio, Car Crash Set recordings)
Littlefoot

Postby laurent__duval » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:46 pm

i enjoyed the interview. seems like a bit of a cock though. still i like his tunes and thats what matters.

i did however, think that a lot of his responses sounded a bit americanised. slightly doubted his responses about raving at 13 and school being a rave with teachers in the way. my school certainly wasnt a rave. maybe its just cuz i'm skeptical of him that i'm questioning his answers.
laurent__duval

Postby deamonds » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Littlefoot wrote:
deamonds wrote:

what utter bullshit.

YEAH.

This attitude sucks

exactly, fucking Time & Envy & Liquid & them shitholes there...they make money.

BTW Littlefoot, did you mixdown dom haywood's "sunshowers" got that cut 2 a dub & the master sounded excellent
deamonds

Postby bandshell » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:56 pm

unlikely wrote:
bandshell wrote:I am wary of anyone who is doing whatever they do to make money though, whether they're an artist, promoter or anything else.

surely that means you are wary of absolutely everyone in some respect?

yep.
bandshell

Postby bandshell » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Littlefoot wrote:
deamonds wrote:

what utter bullshit.

YEAH.

This attitude sucks

bandshell wrote:I was wondering if someone would come back with a response like this. I agree, I was just trying to be deep. :oops: :lol:

bandshell

Postby prisoner » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:15 pm

laurent__duval wrote:i enjoyed the interview. seems like a bit of a cock though. still i like his tunes and thats what matters.

i did however, think that a lot of his responses sounded a bit americanised. slightly doubted his responses about raving at 13 and school being a rave with teachers in the way. my school certainly wasnt a rave. maybe its just cuz i'm skeptical of him that i'm questioning his answers.

what was "americanised" about his answers? he seemed pretty honest to me.

although i didn't get what he meant about "school being a rave with teachers in the way."
prisoner

Postby unlikely » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:23 pm

bandshell wrote:
unlikely wrote:
bandshell wrote:I am wary of anyone who is doing whatever they do to make money though, whether they're an artist, promoter or anything else.

surely that means you are wary of absolutely everyone in some respect?

yep.

haha fair enough, I am too tbf
unlikely

Postby wheelchairprince » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:59 pm

Don't really get why people think he's a dick from that interview, he seems to completely reject the idea that he's got to market himself and not in a "oooh I'm mysterious, that'll sell" way.

Needs a new t-shirt though.
wheelchairprince

Postby spooKs » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:28 am

rekordah wrote:Sluga knows wassup.

Months of promotion, postering, flyering, and potentially losing hundreds of pounds at the end of the night. Or showing up, meeting some cool people, getting crunk on free drinks, playing for an hour and leaving with fat pockets. I know which one I like better.

:z:
spooKs

Postby spooKs » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:33 am

Think you guys all read this too hard! When I try and read it I'm told "This file is broken and cannot be repaired". At least try and repair it Adobe, that's a very defeatist attitude.
spooKs

Postby dubaholix » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:22 am

interesting read, he didnt come off as a prick imo seemed pretty honest to me, cnt really tell from text on a page tho.
dubaholix

Postby morro_e » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:54 am

wheelchairprince wrote:Don't really get why people think he's a dick from that interview, he seems to completely reject the idea that he's got to market himself and not in a "oooh I'm mysterious, that'll sell" way.

Needs a new t-shirt though.

he was ok when i spoke to him. nothing like that
morro_e

Postby promo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:20 am

bandshell wrote:Artists make music, promoters make money.

Lol you smoking crack bro - what promoters are they lol?
promo

Postby bandshell » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:41 am

promo wrote:

I meant artists do it because they want to make the art, promotion is done to make money.

Obviously there are a lot more money people within both than there are people doing it for the art etc in both.

You're pushing something into the public eye to try and sell it to them, the idea being to succesfully sell it and therefore make money.
bandshell

Postby prisoner » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:03 am

Artists sell things all the time to make money.

everyone, eventually, has to do something to make money, regardless of what other motives they may have.

but that doesn't mean there is anything inherently wrong with that.
prisoner

Postby whitelight » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:22 am

I also see the "anonymous" thingy as a kind of promotional tactic. Wich is great in my opinion. Only means he knows what he's doing and how to cultivate his mysteriousness.

Love Zomby.
"I am getting so far out one day I won't come back at all."

-William S. Burroughs
whitelight

Postby samueld » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:25 am

bandshell wrote:
promo wrote:

I meant artists do it because they want to make the art, promotion is done to make money.

Obviously there are a lot more money people within both than there are people doing it for the art etc in both.

You're pushing something into the public eye to try and sell it to them, the idea being to succesfully sell it and therefore make money.

Surely the money option applies to both artists and promoters? You wouldnt try sign your music to record labels otherwise, you would just play it to your mates? Promoters are the reason artists have the time to create the songs they do and make money out of it? Producers generally make most of their money from dj-ing so without promoters they wouldn't be anywhere.
And with regards to your comment about being wary of everyone, wheres the fun in tht? See the good man, not the bad...
samueld

Postby manillathrilla » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:27 am

this guy makes me laugh very hard, his attitude seems so poor.
getting kicked off dsf for pm'ing death threats haha
missing gigs and getting pissed at people writing about it haha
hahahahaha
manillathrilla

Postby manillathrilla » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:39 am

does anyonehave the link to the interview?
manillathrilla

Postby rekordah » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:12 pm

bandshell wrote:
promo wrote:

Again, this is bullshit in the majority of cases.

Have you ever gotten really into an artist's music to the point where you rave about them to your mates and try and play it to anyone who will listen? I think for most promoters, the thing that is driving you to do that is the same thing that is driving them to put on nights - love for music, and the urge to spread and share the enjoyment you get from it with other people. I'd go as far as saying that this pretty much has to be a promoters motivation if they have put on a few events, because if money was the motivation they would of seen how easy it is to end up losing money rather than making it, and quit after the first couple of nights.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong about the whole thing. Maybe if we are talking in the context of Dubstep in the present day, then perhaps it has become easy to make money - especially if you are booking bait artists and promoting boring, cookie-cutter line-ups.
19th October - Jahtari Presents Tapes EP Launch Party @ Gramaphone, London w/ Tapes, Clause Four & International Observer.
23rd October - Galway, Ireland.
31st October - UFO @ Dojo, Bristol w/ Dema.

http://www.myspace.com/rekorder87
rekordah

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion