Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
Locked
kzero
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:50 pm

Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by kzero » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:20 pm

There's obviously more than one type of Dubstep style.

So for the sake of the genre and organization, can this forum please begin the separation of the two?

It sucks when i'm in a corny "loud and filthy" dubstep type of mood, and i can only find the cool and chilled out side of dubstep.
Also vice-versa. When i'm in the mood for the chill side of dubstep, I don't want to be blasted out of my seat by a huge obnoxious drop.

So please, I know there's informal names for the sub-genres, but make it somewhat official by some form of separation?
It's hard for newcomers (sort of like me) to find what we want, because we have no idea what Artists/Labels tend to sound like.

Please consider this, thanks.

Motorway to Roswell
Posts: 5929
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:40 pm
Location: In that palace in the sun

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by Motorway to Roswell » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Find stuff yourself. Don't expect everything on a plate.
"...we now pause to test the soul of the Steppenwolf"

User avatar
Hurtdeer
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:07 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by Hurtdeer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:23 pm

It'll happen when people start coming up with good names. No need to force it really, probably will come about naturally in the next year or so

User avatar
DRTY
Posts: 7900
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:08 pm
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by DRTY » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Naaaaaaaa sub-genres suck.

eg. Neo, New, Old, Post, Pre............. FUCK OFF

User avatar
shambandito
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by shambandito » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:51 pm

kzero wrote:There's obviously more than one type of Dubstep style.

So for the sake of the genre and organization, can this forum please begin the separation of the two?

It sucks when i'm in a corny "loud and filthy" dubstep type of mood, and i can only find the cool and chilled out side of dubstep.
Also vice-versa. When i'm in the mood for the chill side of dubstep, I don't want to be blasted out of my seat by a huge obnoxious drop.

So please, I know there's informal names for the sub-genres, but make it somewhat official by some form of separation?
It's hard for newcomers (sort of like me) to find what we want, because we have no idea what Artists/Labels tend to sound like.

Please consider this, thanks.
no
stoppauseplay wrote: its kind of like beating the shit into someone with a brick, getting arrested, getting out and making a t shirt that says "bricks are not a crime"

http://soundcloud.com/sham-1

Dubterrain Radio - Mondays 7-8pm GMT

kingthing
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 12:36 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by kingthing » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Thats the worst suggestion i've ever heard. ever.

Apart from something to do with melted chocolate and my purple plums, that was a weird one...
**SUB.FM EVERY OTHER FRIDAY 4-6PM**

http://soundcloud.com/kingthing
http://www.nightaudio.co.uk - http://soundcloud.com/nightaudio

Bookings/remixes - olly --at-- scoobydoob.co.uk

suicidesound
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 1:00 pm
Location: Leicester/Essex

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by suicidesound » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:53 pm

Motorway to Roswell wrote:Find stuff yourself. Don't expect everything on a plate.


HAHA

but to be fair weve all had to learn the hard way, and plus the idea of subgenres does seem a bit cheesy and it will start to lose the element of dubstep as every tom dick n harry will start having there own subgenres such as glitch step,rock step,

Tbh people like d-bridge & instr:mental had the best idea and named their own f genre completely but they still have fans and respect from fans from a wide range of scenes,

also it may limit how many people will listen to the music, as some people may be put off by the cheesy names of the selected sub-genres.


and to the mandem who started this post, go through record labels and you will find they may have similar sounds within, ie hyperdub has many tunes with similar sounds, and it does help if your learning to mix dubstep
Image

SuicideSound
Check us out on:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... 275&ref=ts



Jamie Kelly
Artist Agent

+44 (0)7906 978 008

http://www.AcutePromotions.co.uk

kzero
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by kzero » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Exactly the response I expected from here.
I'm not here to 'intrude' on anyone's territory, but you guys need to get over yourselves and the name "Dubstep".

Ditch the elitist views and arrogant attitude.

As for "it won't be served on a plate". I know this. I find things on my own all the time. You'd be surprised on how and what I know and do, but i'm not here to supply credentials. It's merely a suggestion to help this genre grow. I'm admitting I don't know much about the genre and would love to know more, while always giving respect to the roots and elders of Dubstep-- but in its current state, it's really fucking hard to even learn the roots and basics of the genre, or to even get into. Why? Because of that attitude you just displayed, very unhelpful, close-minded, and sort of rude.

What i'm trying to say is, this place seems like a huge centerpiece of Dubstep. I'd advise the experienced people, (you guys) to separate the genre into some subdivisions before the amateurs do. It's already started, but it's getting out of control (filthstep, grimestep, dirtystep, sexstep) all of these retarded names that are confusing and misleading.

User avatar
collige
Posts: 6316
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:50 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by collige » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:08 pm

-This forum does not constitute the entire scene, just because we call something a subgenre doesn't make it so.
-Motorway told you to find stuff yourself because subgenres will essentially hand you a specific sound on a platter, not becuase you don't know much about the genre
-Most people don't want subgenres because we're open-minded. Encouraging subgenres will put up wall that will destroy the diversity of dubstep. Look at what happened to DnB
It sucks when i'm in a corny "loud and filthy" dubstep type of mood, and i can only find the cool and chilled out side of dubstep.
Also vice-versa. When i'm in the mood for the chill side of dubstep, I don't want to be blasted out of my seat by a huge obnoxious drop.
Find a song you like and buy it. You will know what said song sounds like and can play it whenever you feel like it.
You'd be surprised on how and what I know and do,
I'm admitting I don't know much about the genre and would love to know more
This makes no sense.
Statement of Intent VIP / Sahaquiel v4 single out now on UK Trends.
Soundcloud
Soundcloud | Bandcamp | Mixcloud | Twitter

User avatar
shambandito
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by shambandito » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:09 pm

kzero wrote:Exactly the response I expected from here.
I'm not here to 'intrude' on anyone's territory, but you guys need to get over yourselves and the name "Dubstep".
the thing is, around here alot of people dont even like the word dubstep
stoppauseplay wrote: its kind of like beating the shit into someone with a brick, getting arrested, getting out and making a t shirt that says "bricks are not a crime"

http://soundcloud.com/sham-1

Dubterrain Radio - Mondays 7-8pm GMT

kzero
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by kzero » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:15 pm

collige wrote:-This forum does not constitute the entire scene, just because we call something a subgenre doesn't make it so.
-Motorway told you to find stuff yourself because subgenres will essentially hand you a specific sound on a platter, not becuase you don't know much about the genre
-Most people don't want subgenres because we're open-minded. Encouraging subgenres will put up wall that will destroy the diversity of dubstep. Look at what happened to DnB
It sucks when i'm in a corny "loud and filthy" dubstep type of mood, and i can only find the cool and chilled out side of dubstep.
Also vice-versa. When i'm in the mood for the chill side of dubstep, I don't want to be blasted out of my seat by a huge obnoxious drop.
Find a song you like and buy it. You will know what said song sounds like and can play it whenever you feel like it.
You'd be surprised on how and what I know and do,
I'm admitting I don't know much about the genre and would love to know more
This makes no sense.
It makes sense. I said: I know a lot more about music/finding music than you're assuming I know (not necessarily about dubstep though).
And the second sentence makes sense as is. Don't try to pick apart my sentences for grammar.

And I know this forum doesn't control "Dubstep", again, stop assuming i'm an idiot. It is a big part though, you can't argue that. A lot of people rely solely on THIS WEBSITE to find mixes and new dubstep. But in it's current state with an undefined mixture of both types of dubstep, it's fucking confusing and turns a lot of people off. It's human nature, when people are uncomfortable/unsure, they tend to withdraw.

Also, I know a lot of people hate the term 'dubstep', but i don't understand why they should give a shit about the name.

yong
Posts: 1381
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:17 am
Contact:

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by yong » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:23 pm

kzero wrote: Please consider this, thanks.
It's not like there's a high dubstep consul who's going to make an official declaration of subgenres. Who are you asking to consider this?

Also: Labels have their sounds. You'll recognize them with time.

kzero
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by kzero » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:28 pm

yong wrote:
kzero wrote: Please consider this, thanks.
It's not like there's a high dubstep consul who's going to make an official declaration of subgenres. Who are you asking to consider this?

Also: Labels have their sounds. You'll recognize them with time.
I can do nothing by myself except suggest. This website is based on the people, if a huge majority ask for change, it will most likely change. I'm asking all of you, all fans of dubstep, to open their mind to this idea.

One last word for now, of an experience I had that will hopefully sway your minds too.

I've seen a lot of people refer to the chilled-out side of dubstep as some variation "boringstep". In a world where this side of the genre most likely won't be as appreciated as it should, sadly this is where it might end up.

User avatar
wilson
Posts: 3471
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 6:51 pm
Location: East London/Essex

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by wilson » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Mate give it time, explore the genre and eventually you will start to discover all the things you'd like to know for yourself.

User avatar
Acre
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:26 am
Contact:

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by Acre » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:50 pm

NO

User avatar
madmeesh
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by madmeesh » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:57 pm

kzero,
I see where you are coming from for sure. It's also sad to see such rude responses. People, if you have an opinion to voice, can you do it without insulting the OP?
Sub-genres is a touchy subject because I think people think that by labeling the music that is in existence already, they will somehow alter the output. But that's not necessarily true! I'm really into dubstep, and for me, the only way to make sense of the EXTRAORDINARY VOLUME of dubstep that I listen to via mixes on this site alone, is to divide the music into certain vibes / aesthetics:

-Sub weight driven tunes like Deep Medi Musik
-Techno-stab dubstep like Pushing Red, 7even, and 2562's first album on Tectonic
-Breakstep, wicked rhythm workouts like Reso, Ekaj, Noiz
-Metal/rock influenced stuff like Broken Note or Distance
-Distortion/wobble heavy stuff (it's everywhere)
-Chillout stuff like DFRNT's label Echodub
-Deep techno inspired minimal dub, like new Scuba, Sigha (Hotflush recs), or Immerse records
-Garage influenced stuff with non 140 rhythms, pitched up vocals, like Burial, SYNKRO, Joy Orbison, and many others
-super-melodic stuff from the rest of Europe...Faib (Russia), L-Wiz (Sweden)
- and many others that I probably don't know about!!

edit: Part of what makes dubstep good tho is the way all of these different vibes can co-exist, so I don't agree with you about making a hard distinction between hard and soft dubstep. However, I'm DAMN sure no other EDM genre can boast such variety in both rhythm and vibe.
Last edited by madmeesh on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fractal
Mako
Posts: 12133
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:58 pm
Location: emerald city, cascadia

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by fractal » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:03 pm

lol, every 6 months, like clockwork; THIS THREAD! hahahahahha

hasn't happened yet, don't hold your breath


also, dubstep is a subgenre itself, of garage
sub.wise:.
slow down
epochalypso wrote:man dun no bout da 'nuum

Motorway to Roswell
Posts: 5929
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:40 pm
Location: In that palace in the sun

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by Motorway to Roswell » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Why does it need defining at all?
"...we now pause to test the soul of the Steppenwolf"

hatcha
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Croydon
Contact:

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by hatcha » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:04 pm

ITS ALL DUBSTEP SO JUS LEAVE IT AT THAT
Image
Kiss 100 FM - Every Tuesday night/Wednesday morning - 1am til 2am with Crazy D
http://www.whatson.com/kiss
http://www.myspace.com/hatchadj

User avatar
fractal
Mako
Posts: 12133
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:58 pm
Location: emerald city, cascadia

Re: Isn't it time to divide Dubstep into subgenres?

Post by fractal » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:06 pm

hatcha wrote:ITS ALL DUBSTEP SO JUS LEAVE IT AT THAT

still!
sub.wise:.
slow down
epochalypso wrote:man dun no bout da 'nuum

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests