Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Dubstep in Barcelona

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows

Postby dignan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:53 am

hey ya'll,

me and a friend of mine are planning on moving to Barcelona this coming Fall and I just wanna get a sense of the dubstep scene in the city. I visited Barcelona last May but at that time I wasn't as into dubstep as I am now, so I didn't go to any shows or seek anybody out, etc. Is the dubstep scene big there? Are there any monthly / weekly nights?

I'd love to start networking with some people who are living and producing / DJing / organizing parties in Barcelona as well.

I know that the Fall is still a ways away but I wanna get a jump on this while I can. My e-mail is prophetblind@gmail.com and my AIM is Rebuilt to Spill - I would love to start talking with some people!
dignan

Postby thinking » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:13 am

hit up 23hz & Numaestro, they're the veterans of the Barce scene.

http://www.myspace.com/corsarioriddim

:4:
BLACK BOX & BOX CLEVER

paulie wrote:Thinking >>>> everyone else on this forum.
thinking

Postby aleks zen » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:20 am

aaaahhhh only if i could speak the language id be there in a jiffy to live for a bit. barcelona/spain is hard
*soundcloud.com/alekszen
*soundcloud.com/neonbounty
@alekszen @neonbounty
aleks zen

Postby finkthast » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Yo alekz, wot do u mean by hard???

The place is amazing....such a buzz and all round sense of style, sun and culture.....although it's got a lot more expensive the last coupla yrs.

I wonder if as a city the clubbers are still heavily into their minimal techno???
finkthast

Postby dignan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:54 pm

are you talking about Spainish the language is hard? that won't be that big of a problem for me since I already speak a little Spainsh, but in Barcelona they speak Catalan so that'll be tricky.

so does anyone know if there are any monthly/weekly parties?
dignan

Postby kion » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:06 pm

check out the B.Low gang..

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8 ... 991&ref=ts

all safe as houses :4:

man like Tuffist is from your locale too..
http://www.vitalsinesmusic.com
DUBS / PROMOS / DEMOS - AIM 'djkion' / send to info[at]vitalsinesmusic.com
mixcloud.com/djkion < archive dubpressure shows
kion

Postby egres » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:10 pm

hey guys, as far as dubstep goes there is an emerging scene in the raves, there are lots of nasty dirty parties around catering to the dirtier sounds. Then there are the club promoters who have pushed both the popular sounds of dubstep or the more local sounds.

There is a monthly by the crew B.Low who usually bring a guest to play and are the most directly connected to England.

For a local touch check out what the disboot crew are up to (as far as conceptual parties, music productions etc)

There are plenty of other worthy club promoters like Digital Worms, Day of the Droids, Mad Sessions etc....... the info is very segregated and very few of us actually see each other at most events, otherwise the crews have their followers and or djs. In other words there isn't a united scene but like I said earlier it is still emerging.

I don't know where you are coming from but one thing to keep in mind is the lack of good soundsystems in barcelona that could cater to dubstep respectably and most Barcelonians still consider it chillout stuff.

Either way as far as im concerned it still all to early to see what happens here with dubstep. I for one will allways follow what I like jajaja for some info on the scene you are probably better off talking to as many people as possible as the info online is extremely scattered.
egres

Postby aleks zen » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:22 pm

lol nah hard as in sick, if that makes sense :wink: would be an amazing place to live..
*soundcloud.com/alekszen
*soundcloud.com/neonbounty
@alekszen @neonbounty
aleks zen

Postby dignan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:40 pm

egres wrote:hey guys, as far as dubstep goes there is an emerging scene in the raves, there are lots of nasty dirty parties around catering to the dirtier sounds. Then there are the club promoters who have pushed both the popular sounds of dubstep or the more local sounds.

There is a monthly by the crew B.Low who usually bring a guest to play and are the most directly connected to England.

For a local touch check out what the disboot crew are up to (as far as conceptual parties, music productions etc)

There are plenty of other worthy club promoters like Digital Worms, Day of the Droids, Mad Sessions etc....... the info is very segregated and very few of us actually see each other at most events, otherwise the crews have their followers and or djs. In other words there isn't a united scene but like I said earlier it is still emerging.

I don't know where you are coming from but one thing to keep in mind is the lack of good soundsystems in barcelona that could cater to dubstep respectably and most Barcelonians still consider it chillout stuff.

Either way as far as im concerned it still all to early to see what happens here with dubstep. I for one will allways follow what I like jajaja for some info on the scene you are probably better off talking to as many people as possible as the info online is extremely scattered.

thanks for this man - really imformative. are you from Barcelona/Spain yourself? i'll definitely check out all those people/crews you mentioned. and the fact that the dubstep scene is still kind of low key is another reason why I'm moving to Barca - I may be a little naive here but it would be cool to have a part in making the dubstep scene bigger in the city.

i'm from New York, about two hours east of NYC and there are no places out where I live that have dubstep events. I've approached numerous places about it and they've all denied me so far. I go into NYC for parties quite often but traveling into the city is atleast an $80-100 weekend. I'm still trying to get an event out where I live but so far no luck....
dignan

Postby thinking » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:56 pm

actually I'd like to know if there will be any good dubstep-related parties around Sonar, or any wicked parties at all that we might not get to hear about. I'm coming with a few peeps and would be v keen for any inside info. ;)
BLACK BOX & BOX CLEVER

paulie wrote:Thinking >>>> everyone else on this forum.
thinking

Postby numaestro » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:47 pm

thinking wrote:actually I'd like to know if there will be any good dubstep-related parties around Sonar, or any wicked parties at all that we might not get to hear about. I'm coming with a few peeps and would be v keen for any inside info. ;)

Nice one - will keep you updated on this for sure - bless ups
23Hz Presents Migrant LP now available on CORSARIO DIGITAL. "Tropicalia" by NEHUEN now available on CORSARIO DIGITAL

http://www.myspace.com/corsarioriddim
http://www.myspace.com/iberianrecords
numaestro

Postby mistalime » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Saw this post, its come at a perfect time.

Is there anything going on in Barca inbetween the 11th and 22nd of April.

I'm coming over on a skate trip with a few mates. Would be sick if there was a night goin on somewhere...
And we hand it back over to the fat guy with the mash.

http://www.yakwax.com
mistalime

Postby stillstandinguk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:30 pm

Good timing, i am going to be in Barcelona for my birthday around 20th - 24th of may, if anyone hears about any good nights of Bass heavy music i would really appreciate being filled in, not too familiar with the underground club scene there. Even peoples favourite venues in terms of sound systems etc.

Thanks in advance
stillstandinguk

Postby Ayatollah » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:45 pm

I'm also considering moving to Barcelona to study this fall, so this was a good read.

Dignan I'll hit you up when I know for sure if I'll be going - it would be awesome to meet some fellow dubsteppers :)
Ayatollah

Postby firky » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:03 pm

been to barcelona a few times visiting one of my best friends (was there for christmas and new year), it is important to remember that many people speak catalan, and that has thrown me a few times, so it's worth your while knowing a bit of both... although IME for the most part people tend to speak spanish as soon as they clock on you're not from there, which is good! as for dubstep, it is there but it's really quite small in comparison to what i have seen here.

barcelona is an amazing city and very safe despite it's reputation; you will, at least once, get pick pocketed in the gothic quarter late at night. just put your money in your front pockets with your hands and try and not to look like a tourist.
Sound System Rental

Inventor of the Turban.
firky

Postby dignan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:44 am

Ayatollah wrote:I'm also considering moving to Barcelona to study this fall, so this was a good read.

Dignan I'll hit you up when I know for sure if I'll be going - it would be awesome to meet some fellow dubsteppers :)

definitely man - I'm up for everything! Anyone else from Barcelona wanna hook up? I won't know anyone - so please get at me if you feel!
dignan

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to General Discussion