UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
User avatar
hedmuk
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:44 pm
Location: Bristol / Manchester / York
Contact:

UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by hedmuk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:50 pm

Pariah's latest mix for Dummy Mag is an absolute gem:

http://hedmuk.blogspot.com/2010/06/dumm ... ix_02.html
http://hedmuk.blogspot.com
http://hedmuk.bigcartel.com

058: Blackwax
057: Promise One
056: Boofy
055: Circula
054: Coleco
053: Wen
052: Sepia
051: Facta
050: Distance

kozee
Posts: 2989
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:37 pm
Location: labcabincalifornia
Contact:

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by kozee » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:52 pm

yea its big here again in the states

User avatar
Rapsak
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Croydon

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by Rapsak » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:25 pm

sly blog promotion there :lol:
but it worked, you've been bookmarked, haha
looking forward to hearing that mix though, since buying orpheus im game for anything pariah's doing

trapeez
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Essex

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by trapeez » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Yeah Orpheus/Detroit Falls was a big release, as is the mix.

User avatar
hedmuk
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:44 pm
Location: Bristol / Manchester / York
Contact:

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by hedmuk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Rapsak wrote:sly blog promotion there :lol:
but it worked, you've been bookmarked, haha
looking forward to hearing that mix though, since buying orpheus im game for anything pariah's doing
We do our best! Glad you've bookmarked: we've got big exclusives coming in the next few weeks so keep 'em peeled...
http://hedmuk.blogspot.com
http://hedmuk.bigcartel.com

058: Blackwax
057: Promise One
056: Boofy
055: Circula
054: Coleco
053: Wen
052: Sepia
051: Facta
050: Distance

User avatar
mashmash
Posts: 1165
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:22 pm
Location: Birmingham UK

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by mashmash » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:09 pm

well 'uk garage on the rise' is a good thing to hear, but i'm not a fan of this future garage stuff
gwa wrote:you should wake up in the night whilst dressed as revolver ocelot and lamp him

User avatar
prisoner
Posts: 1905
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: MPLS

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by prisoner » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:14 pm

kozee wrote:yea its big here again in the states
where?

cuz i'd like to know ; )

User avatar
MASKle
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 8:58 pm
Location: LA/OC and Cardiff. UK

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by MASKle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:45 pm

I've been in the states (west coast) for 6 months now and have seen hide nor hair of any UK garage. Roska and Untold played once, but I think thats as close as its got. There isn't the same rave culture here for those sort of sounds, and if you asked most people about garage here the word 'Craig David' is mentioned, oh no.

I even heard a locals dubstep remix of a Craig David smasher lol

Despite that I think there should be a gap emerging as general American tastes develop (west coast specifically, FaltyDL is sick big up NY), and I will definately be interested in attending some events with music running around the 130 bpm mark.

User avatar
hedmuk
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:44 pm
Location: Bristol / Manchester / York
Contact:

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by hedmuk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:05 pm

mashmash wrote:well 'uk garage on the rise' is a good thing to hear, but i'm not a fan of this future garage stuff
Yet dubstep is, technically, future garage...
http://hedmuk.blogspot.com
http://hedmuk.bigcartel.com

058: Blackwax
057: Promise One
056: Boofy
055: Circula
054: Coleco
053: Wen
052: Sepia
051: Facta
050: Distance

User avatar
skitz_0
Posts: 1251
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: allston, ma

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by skitz_0 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:21 pm

I've noticed a few solid funky/garage nights up here in Boston, too.
charliefoy wrote: NO MIDS FOR THE KIDS
daninallston.tumblr.com
new!!- BeantownBoogiedown Podcast 48
Soundcloud

User avatar
mashmash
Posts: 1165
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:22 pm
Location: Birmingham UK

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by mashmash » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:22 pm

s.a.m wrote:
mashmash wrote:well 'uk garage on the rise' is a good thing to hear, but i'm not a fan of this future garage stuff
Yet dubstep is, technically, future garage...
yes, but i'm not on about dubstep am i
gwa wrote:you should wake up in the night whilst dressed as revolver ocelot and lamp him

User avatar
djshiva
Posts: 4933
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:13 pm
Location: aka sapphic_beats Indianaptizzle, IN USA
Contact:

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by djshiva » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:33 pm

kozee wrote:yea its big here again in the states
Really? Where? I need to be there and not here.
Here, have a free tune:
Soundcloud

User avatar
hedmuk
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:44 pm
Location: Bristol / Manchester / York
Contact:

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by hedmuk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:29 pm

mashmash wrote:
s.a.m wrote:
mashmash wrote:well 'uk garage on the rise' is a good thing to hear, but i'm not a fan of this future garage stuff
Yet dubstep is, technically, future garage...
yes, but i'm not on about dubstep am i
No, no you are not.
http://hedmuk.blogspot.com
http://hedmuk.bigcartel.com

058: Blackwax
057: Promise One
056: Boofy
055: Circula
054: Coleco
053: Wen
052: Sepia
051: Facta
050: Distance

User avatar
prisoner
Posts: 1905
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: MPLS

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by prisoner » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:55 am

djshiva wrote:
kozee wrote:yea its big here again in the states
Really? Where? I need to be there and not here.
it's not any where.

im not sure what kozee was smoking.

the only time there was anything here was back in 00-01/02

it was actually pretty popular in minneapolis.

we had a crew of people doing big shows monthly for awhile, but it died as fast as it came.

User avatar
honey-d
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:28 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by honey-d » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:57 am

kozee wrote:yea its big here again in the states
I dunno where you live but as someone previously said at least in LA area there's like NO garage, 2 step, future garage, etc

The most we get is like, skream dropping one or two of his own garagey tunes. oh well. I'm trying to get better at mixing future garage so I can bring it to the ******!
deranger wrote:It's like, one love, except if you're a stupid, drunk asshole that can't flow for shit.
AIM: Proletariantears

User avatar
djshiva
Posts: 4933
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:13 pm
Location: aka sapphic_beats Indianaptizzle, IN USA
Contact:

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by djshiva » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:07 am

For what it's worth, I dropped a set of "future garage/brokestep/dubstep/techno something or other on an afterparty in Detroit (DEMF weekend), and they were up for it.

Lots of stuff on the Ramadanman, Blawan, Bowly, 2562, Untold, DVA tip. Got a raucous response. :) Wish I had recorded.
Here, have a free tune:
Soundcloud

User avatar
sines
Posts: 3726
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 5:41 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by sines » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:32 am

prisoner wrote:
djshiva wrote:
kozee wrote:yea its big here again in the states
Really? Where? I need to be there and not here.
it's not any where.

im not sure what kozee was smoking.

the only time there was anything here was back in 00-01/02

it was actually pretty popular in minneapolis.

we had a crew of people doing big shows monthly for awhile, but it died as fast as it came.
Its here in Texas. bess recognize.

User avatar
djshiva
Posts: 4933
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:13 pm
Location: aka sapphic_beats Indianaptizzle, IN USA
Contact:

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by djshiva » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:51 am

sines wrote:
Its here in Texas. bess recognize.
Hope you got a big couch, cuz I'm comin' there, dammit! ;)
Here, have a free tune:
Soundcloud

eprom
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:08 pm

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by eprom » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:08 am

In SF we have the Surefire.sound nights, where people come out to see many forward thinking garage artists. Also there are nights like Tormenta Tropical, Icee Hot, and Fritemare which are doing things.

yong
Posts: 1381
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:17 am
Contact:

Re: UK Garage is definitely on a rise...

Post by yong » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:16 am

djshiva wrote:For what it's worth, I dropped a set of "future garage/brokestep/dubstep/techno something or other on an afterparty in Detroit (DEMF weekend), and they were up for it.

Lots of stuff on the Ramadanman, Blawan, Bowly, 2562, Untold, DVA tip. Got a raucous response. :) Wish I had recorded.


Sounds cool, but that's not really "uk garage".

I so wanted to go to DEMF too...

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 64 guests