Moving from DNB to dubstep

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
broken silence

Post by broken silence » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:02 pm

Kinda what i was saying mate, but i totaly agree with you at the same time.
Its started to sound like pop music almost, because its such a massive scene now its really hard for promoters to keep making a profit.
Everyone is a dj and everyone runs a night.
As such they keep to the same old safe line ups to bring in the crowds, which means that the truely inspired artists never get a chance to play out.
Its only now that iv seen Break on a flyer, and if anyone has ever seen Amit dj then let me know so i can kick myself about it.
Its a shame, but i still dont think drum and bass as a music is a complete write off, just the nights need sorting out and promoters need to be willing to take more risks.
Take inperspectives night at herbal for example, iv only been once but that goes down as one of the most highly charged, and more importently fresh sounding, dnb raves iv been to.
Silence is more audible than sound

kidkut
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by kidkut » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:16 pm

I dont see why everyone seems to have to move from one style of music to another.... variety is the spice of life... not saying this is the case here but I see alot of people writing such things.....

I very much still love certain elements of dnb (the stuff we play at my night) and I love all aspects of dubstep...

broken silence

Post by broken silence » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:46 pm

variety is the spice of life...
Thats very true, plus its seems counterintuitive to shut one self off from other forms of music while being involved in a scene that has very few boundaries in terms of musical content.
But on the other hand, maby its the lack of variety within modern drum and bass itself, compared to its earlier forms or compared to the melting pot of styles which is dubstep, which is making people term they new found interest in dubstep as a "switch" from one scene to the other.
Silence is more audible than sound

vespa

Post by vespa » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:47 pm

I pretty much stopped buying D+B about 1.5-2 years ago. I'd been buying a lot of dub, downtempo and indie rock vinyl, but I'm loving the dubbier dubstep tunes (DMZ, Appleblim, Random Trio, etc).

D+B vinyl auction, soon come! I need cash now that Redeye sells dubstep... 8)

kidkut
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by kidkut » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:26 pm

Broken Silence wrote:
variety is the spice of life...
Thats very true, plus its seems counterintuitive to shut one self off from other forms of music while being involved in a scene that has very few boundaries in terms of musical content.
But on the other hand, maby its the lack of variety within modern drum and bass itself, compared to its earlier forms or compared to the melting pot of styles which is dubstep, which is making people term they new found interest in dubstep as a "switch" from one scene to the other.
See this is what I take issue with, most people when describing a lacking of variety in dnb I presume must be talking about mainstream stuff, because the stuff being produced by Macc, djoHn, Andy Skopes, Paradox, Seba, INP crew (and countless others i could name) is unbelievable and imo better than its ever been. People just have to dig a bit, that particular niche is probably smaller than the current dubstep scene.

/edit

Then again I can understand why ppl have this view, 90% of the stuff I have is on cdr, there is such a slow release rate for this particular style.

ufo over easy

Post by ufo over easy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:32 pm

I agree with Kidkut.

Pretty much all the time actually :D
:d:

kion

Post by kion » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:23 pm

I was a doa regular back in 01/02 and was a good friend of Pikklez. He used to send me a dozen eggs twice a week. But I'm not here to trample all over the emerging scene from a dnb perspective - far from it. I come from that scene, but respect that this scene is coming from a totally different perspective.

I can see what some are saying about dnb heads being able to 'latch' onto the sound and relate to the Storming Productions style, but that sound is nearer linked to breaks than the styles DMZ / Chef / Hatcha / Youngsta lot play. As long as the ex dnb heads enjoy the variety and don't hone the scene down to one sound, then its all good.
http://www.vitalsinesmusic.com
DUBS / PROMOS / DEMOS - AIM 'djkion' / send to info[at]vitalsinesmusic.com
mixcloud.com/djkion < archive dubpressure shows

sek [espionage]

Post by sek [espionage] » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:24 pm

Melody wrote:i see more dogs...
ya for real :lol:

showguns

Post by showguns » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:11 pm

i still find it a curiosity that the dubstep warz mix was such a huge catalyst? (sorry if this was hashed and re-hashed in the original ds wars thread)
"Sometimes I do see people saggin, with dirty underwear, and it is indeed a sad thing."

Jubz

Post by Jubz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm

Jim Beats wrote:Please please please don't let this place become doa...
Agreed.

ufo over easy

Post by ufo over easy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:10 pm

ThinKing wrote:Ha ha, apart from a few wise ones, the Dogs only now seem to be picking up on the music and making their way over here.

Nice whan tho, better late than never. :D
Too cool for school 8)
:d:

melody

Post by melody » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:12 pm

showguns wrote:i still find it a curiosity that the dubstep warz mix was such a huge catalyst? (sorry if this was hashed and re-hashed in the original ds wars thread)
for alot of dnb heads who hadn't given dubstep a chance, like, ever.. it was a pretty significant mix.

in all honesty though, there have been threads about dubstep, grime, nu breaks, idm, etc on doa for a long long time, even more in recent months, and my guess is that combined with the warz mix got people's curiosity peaked.

rasdisone

Post by rasdisone » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:08 pm

showguns wrote:i still find it a curiosity that the dubstep warz mix was such a huge catalyst? (sorry if this was hashed and re-hashed in the original ds wars thread)
i never even heard of dubstep before that mix
i gave it a listen, and BAMMO

and i pray to god this place doesnt go DOA...i only go there now to push people's buttons, nothing to do with the music at all

subliminal

Post by subliminal » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:13 pm

ok, ive been trying not to comment on the whole dnb thing, but i feel like i have to now.
First off, I agree that 99% of dnb is lacking - but - i am confused somewhat when i see 99% of dnb -> dubstep "converts" saying that they basically have comlpetely given up on it. I've hated most dnb for years now, but still, i have a night and a record label and still feel dedicated to it. Part of my dedication has been to spotlight the creative, boundary pushing heads still in dnb. I dont know, i think its easy for a jaded dnb fan to hear dubstep and just say, "well, ok! screw dnb then!" - but - someone like me just can't totally give up my main passion for the past 7 years or so.
People like paradox, alpha omega, amit, equinox, spirit, breakage, etc. are still making good shit and i feel almost responsible to keep whats still good in that scene going. Personally, I love dubstep - I think its just great - probably has a lot more potential than dnb, but i just dont think you have to give one up for the other.
I admit though, its hard. You have to search sooo hard to find the good stuff from dnb, but almost all the dubstep coming out right now is top notch!

messsingh

Post by messsingh » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:32 pm

I don't need move between scenes or music!

Theres plenty of good dubstep, hip hop, reggae, dub, DnB, House, Techno, Broken beat etc out there!

But its nice to have a resource to find out about the music.

DOA people: Theres still plenty of good DnB out there and a lot of crap! Just filter out the rubbish

Jazz

dice

Post by dice » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:43 pm

Subliminal wrote:ok, ive been trying not to comment on the whole dnb thing, but i feel like i have to now.
First off, I agree that 99% of dnb is lacking - but - i am confused somewhat when i see 99% of dnb -> dubstep "converts" saying that they basically have comlpetely given up on it. I've hated most dnb for years now, but still, i have a night and a record label and still feel dedicated to it. Part of my dedication has been to spotlight the creative, boundary pushing heads still in dnb. I dont know, i think its easy for a jaded dnb fan to hear dubstep and just say, "well, ok! screw dnb then!" - but - someone like me just can't totally give up my main passion for the past 7 years or so.
People like paradox, alpha omega, amit, equinox, spirit, breakage, etc. are still making good shit and i feel almost responsible to keep whats still good in that scene going. Personally, I love dubstep - I think its just great - probably has a lot more potential than dnb, but i just dont think you have to give one up for the other.
I admit though, its hard. You have to search sooo hard to find the good stuff from dnb, but almost all the dubstep coming out right now is top notch!
got nothing to add really...I too am a dnb dj first and I try and run a night that caters for the more drum oriented adventurous crowd and mix it up with other styles..I like funk, soul, hip hop, jazz, breaks, drum and bass, jungle, garage, even some rock..the thing with dubstep, to me, is that indeed to my ears it sounds fresh like juice and it gives me a certain spark that makes me want to go out and spread the word, just like I do when I hear a new fracture & neptune or equinox or macc track and just as I go nuts when I hear daylight (by ramp) or summer in the city by quincy jones...

it's shit hot music and there is plenty of it in the past and most certainly in the future!!

nemesis

Post by nemesis » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:38 am

For me personally its all about searching for a certain vibe in the music you choose to listen to.

I DJ on Rude FM and yet I still don't limit myslef to being a die-hard 'member' of any 'scene.' There's so much good music out there that to limit myself to one genre would mean missing out on a hell of a lot!

All that matters is good music in whatever genre continues to be produced and released and we all continue to support it.

:D

seckle

Post by seckle » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:49 am

being a member of a scene, and being a member of the scene's forums are two very very different things.
i'm not trying to say you need to be more than just someone who loves the music and downloads the mixes. i'm just saying that, after being a member of a few forums for a while now you can really see first hand the major differences.

one facinating aspect about net communities, is the assimilation factor. it's the notion that everyone who has a net connection and pc can be a part of a cultural movement. deep.....you could write a book about all the levels of it..

thinking

Post by thinking » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:53 am

seckle wrote:being a member of a scene, and being a member of the scene's forums are two very very different things.
i'm not trying to say you need to be more than just someone who loves the music and downloads the mixes. i'm just saying that, after being a member of a few forums for a while now you can really see first hand the major differences.

one facinating aspect about net communities, is the assimilation factor. it's the notion that everyone who has a net connection and pc can be a part of a cultural movement. deep.....you could write a book about all the levels of it..
Totally, it's sometimes easy to forget that the internet 'scene' i.e. forums like this place only represent a tiny cross-section of the actual scene in its entirety.