I think Skream deserves a new thread re: his DJing

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
hankerins

Re: I think Skream deserves a new thread re: his DJing

Post by hankerins » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:37 pm

cloak and dagger wrote:So I have to admit I had my doubts; I've always had loads of respect for Skream for experimenting and not sticking to one sound when he easily could have (dude could have made a dozen Midnight Request Lines and be sitting pretty), but of course that means I don't like everything he's put out. After reading that last thread, I was worried that I would be getting a poorly mixed, rewind-heavy set full of headbanger/screechy dubstep (which I hate), and that I would just be standing around wishing I'd gone to something that suited my tastes better.

Well, after seeing him play for 2.5 hours, I'm basically telling everyone here to completely ignore that other thread; the only thing I can say is that I was EXTREMELY impressed with Skream as a DJ. The mixing was impeccable, he was teasing in tracks and mixing in new ones really quickly, doing a lot of creative mixes, and the track selection was as diverse as his productions (I heard headbanger stuff, uk funky, grime, techno, garage, jungle, uk hardkore and deeper dubstep), and his enthusiasm was unmatched. If I had read that other thread, I would have thought that guy was talking about a different Skream. Last night he was definitely taking his audience seriously, but you could see he was having a blast and really enjoyed playing out for people, and you could see that returned by the crowd as well. Even if I wasn't into 100% of the tunes (the previously mentioned boom-bap heavy metal screechy stuff), he was usually onto the next tune a minute later and chances are it was something I DID like.

So yeah, basically, I think he deserves a thread about how good of a DJ he is, as this post would just get lost in that other clusterfuck of a thread. I would say I'm not easily impressed by DJs these days (I'm getting older unfortunately), but he was definitely one of the best DJs I've seen in a long while. This has been a public service announcement. Thank you.
thanks for the thoughtful response. If I knew the shitstorm my last thread was gonna cause I never would have made it. honestly skream's set wasn't all that bad, it was more about him screwing around with 12th Planet's set, but thats besides the point. i was hoping to get some real commentary like this ^^ but i should have known better than to make a negative post or at least been more careful with my words. still, i think some interesting stuff came up in that thread re: what people value in a performance/performer, it just came out in a kind of immature way.

so yea, thanks for making this thread and i apologize for making a mess on DSF.

Genevieve

Post by Genevieve » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:42 pm

hankerins wrote:
cloak and dagger wrote:So I have to admit I had my doubts; I've always had loads of respect for Skream for experimenting and not sticking to one sound when he easily could have (dude could have made a dozen Midnight Request Lines and be sitting pretty), but of course that means I don't like everything he's put out. After reading that last thread, I was worried that I would be getting a poorly mixed, rewind-heavy set full of headbanger/screechy dubstep (which I hate), and that I would just be standing around wishing I'd gone to something that suited my tastes better.

Well, after seeing him play for 2.5 hours, I'm basically telling everyone here to completely ignore that other thread; the only thing I can say is that I was EXTREMELY impressed with Skream as a DJ. The mixing was impeccable, he was teasing in tracks and mixing in new ones really quickly, doing a lot of creative mixes, and the track selection was as diverse as his productions (I heard headbanger stuff, uk funky, grime, techno, garage, jungle, uk hardkore and deeper dubstep), and his enthusiasm was unmatched. If I had read that other thread, I would have thought that guy was talking about a different Skream. Last night he was definitely taking his audience seriously, but you could see he was having a blast and really enjoyed playing out for people, and you could see that returned by the crowd as well. Even if I wasn't into 100% of the tunes (the previously mentioned boom-bap heavy metal screechy stuff), he was usually onto the next tune a minute later and chances are it was something I DID like.

So yeah, basically, I think he deserves a thread about how good of a DJ he is, as this post would just get lost in that other clusterfuck of a thread. I would say I'm not easily impressed by DJs these days (I'm getting older unfortunately), but he was definitely one of the best DJs I've seen in a long while. This has been a public service announcement. Thank you.
thanks for the thoughtful response. If I knew the shitstorm my last thread was gonna cause I never would have made it. honestly skream's set wasn't all that bad, it was more about him screwing around with 12th Planet's set, but thats besides the point. i was hoping to get some real commentary like this ^^ but i should have known better than to make a negative post or at least been more careful with my words. still, i think some interesting stuff came up in that thread re: what people value in a performance/performer, it just came out in a kind of immature way.

Don't apologize for having an unpopular opinion, man. Plenty of heads agreed with you too. It's silly how some people think that merely criticizing one aspect of his being is comparable to straight-up rejecting any of his contributions to the scene. So fuck it, he was bad when you saw him and you were annoyed with how he fucked around with 12th Planet, you're totally entitled to that. Let the whiners do their thing, dude. You know what you saw and what you thought of it.

namsayin

:'0

Head of the DSF Hebrew Awareness Society

ottolag

Post by ottolag » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:58 pm

You really want to know why Skream can be so fucking shit sometimes when he clearly has talent and has a huge collection of unreleased shit.

It depends on whether he has been drinking or not. straight up, the man cant mix for shit once he's had a few vodka's-and his track selection gets lazy

if he doesnt get too drunk before his set then usually its bang on
Phigure wrote:mt eden and burial are apples and oranges....
except that the apples are made of shit and the oranges made of angel tears

Se>>ions---Nottingham, first monday every month at Bodega Social Club

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 950&ref=ts
http://twitter.com/SessionsEvents
http://www.sessionsevents.co.uk/

bright maroon
Location: ..in high colonial, tropical low country currently - Savannah, Ga

Post by bright maroon » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:15 pm

the answer is NO.
i bet y'all are late on catching the hermetic allegory in every episode - parsons..?
thats pretty urban. - Capture pt
i think everyone would benefit from unicorns - JTMMusicuk

Soundcloud

cloak and dagger
Location: Sittin' on the curb debatin' how to get it percolatin'

Post by cloak and dagger » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:38 am

bright maroon wrote:the answer is NO.

what was the question? :lol:

brent

Post by brent » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:26 am

i still had a lot of fun and was real happy to hear Skream play in Miami in 2009...would go again if i had the chance. but he shouldn't get drunk for work ever really. hey does he ever play shirtless? lol

J-R

Post by J-R » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:43 am

Blerim wrote:I think it's also important to note that, despite popular belief (leading from wild rumours posted on the front pages of numerous gossip magazines such as 'OK', 'Grazia' and The Financial Times), MissBrass DOES actually know MANY of dubsteps 'most important' - presumably including Skream - and HAS done for a long time. Furthermore any success that has been experienced among this select group is SHARED with MissBrass and is therefore referred to as 'OUR success' by the aforementioned persons. :4:
nicely done :mrgreen:
Blerim wrote:dubsteps 'most important'
no one bigger than the music

cloak and dagger

Post by cloak and dagger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:49 am

hankerins wrote:

No worries man, I actually feel a little guilty for making THIS thread because I didn't want to reopen the topic for debate...I just wanted to post how impressed I was with his performance a few nights back. Hopefully nobody takes it the wrong way, I only have positive impressions from that night and didn't want to reignite any arguments or anything (although it looks like people are playing nicely so far in this thread for the most part).

format-mcr.

Post by format-mcr. » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:38 am

A LOT of ppl wouldnt be listening to dubstep if it wasnt for Skream and it def wouldn't be where its at today. Half these ppl don't even need know or care about good or bad mixing anyway. It's good to hear ppl compliment him for his dj-ing too which can be incredible at times. And, think we can all agree he's more than entitled to enjoy himself occasionally, whether you think it's unprofessional or not, as he will still, undoubtedly, put on a great show regardless how much vodka or red stripe he's had
Last edited by format-mcr. on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

human?

Post by human? » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:40 am

people need to use the aftermath forum wtf.

cloak and dagger

Post by cloak and dagger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:04 am

human? wrote:people need to use the aftermath forum wtf.

the aftermath forum is for event reviews

human?

Post by human? » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:20 am

cloak and dagger wrote:

cloak and dagger wrote:I just wanted to post how impressed I was with his performance a few nights back.
:u:

without context the review is waste. buncha geeks posturing, brown nosers, haters, real fans whatever, all silly.

i enjoy reading reviews of events, and hardly anyone posts em... meanwhile its all this subjective generalized nonsense...

if you had doubt about posting this thread & reopening "debate", and wanted to discuss a performance from the other night, my suggestion is your doubts were cause you werent posting the right shit lol.. id rather read a happy review of the tokyo show than back & forth nonsense & no context...
AS ABOVE SO BELOW!

cloak and dagger

Post by cloak and dagger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:33 am

human? wrote:
cloak and dagger wrote:

cloak and dagger wrote:I just wanted to post how impressed I was with his performance a few nights back.
:u:

without context the review is waste. buncha geeks posturing, brown nosers, haters, real fans whatever, all silly.

i enjoy reading reviews of events, and hardly anyone posts em... meanwhile its all this subjective generalized nonsense...

if you had doubt about posting this thread & reopening "debate", and wanted to discuss a performance from the other night, my suggestion is your doubts were cause you werent posting the right shit lol.. id rather read a happy review of the tokyo show than back & forth nonsense & no context...

Your complaint seems a little strange; you're saying a thread that's not an event review should be posted in the event reviews section, and at the same time you're saying it's not adequate as an event review. I can only assume that you're not reading my posts correctly, or not reading the whole post.

The intention of the thread wasn't to post a review of the event- notice how I didn't include details of the event, event name, etc.? The point of the thread was as a response to the other thread that was saying how disappointed they were with Skream's DJing, as when I read that thread it actually made me reconsider whether or not to spend $45 plus transportation to go see Skream. In the end I am really glad I went, and his set really defied all of my expectations in terms of technical ability, track selection, and enthusiasm, so I thought it was only fair to post a thread for the people like me who had never seen him play but were maybe turned off a bit from what was said in that other thread (the title of this thread explains that better).

I had doubts about posting the thread because I didn't want it to become overly negative with a bunch of people slagging each other off like the last one. It's always a shame when you say something with a positive attitude and it degenerates into negativity because of a few bad apples.

cloak and dagger

Post by cloak and dagger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:36 am

Anyway, I don't really have the time or motivation to write a review for the events section, but if you have any questions about the event I'd be happy to answer them.

human?

Post by human? » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:55 am

cloak and dagger wrote:Anyway, I don't really have the time or motivation to write a review for the events section, but if you have any questions about the event I'd be happy to answer them.
alright, well just check what i am saying.....

the other thread was a review of hard fest nyc. there isnt shit in the aftermath section about it, but theres a 9 page thread slagging skream meanwhile every single publication in NYC said that skream & benga were a highlight and the rest of the show kinda sucked.

had there been a HARD FEST NYC review in the aftermath, you would have been able to put some CONTEXT on the situation and you decision would have been even better informed.

ive seen skream play mad times and as every other DJ ive seen play enough, my enjoyment of the set has so many variables that its really not a good idea to think somebody is a wack DJ off one set.... much less what some dsf shit talk says lol

if you had a good time, and you thought skream was dope, why NOT big up the promoter etc etc? im just sayin, imho, it does more positive for skream, AND your local scene, to write a glowing (or constructive) review of the event then start yet another waste posturing pissing contest
AS ABOVE SO BELOW!

cloak and dagger

Post by cloak and dagger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:18 am

human? wrote:
cloak and dagger wrote:Anyway, I don't really have the time or motivation to write a review for the events section, but if you have any questions about the event I'd be happy to answer them.
alright, well just check what i am saying.....

the other thread was a review of hard fest nyc. there isnt shit in the aftermath section about it, but theres a 9 page thread slagging skream meanwhile every single publication in NYC said that skream & benga were a highlight and the rest of the show kinda sucked.

had there been a HARD FEST NYC review in the aftermath, you would have been able to put some CONTEXT on the situation and you decision would have been even better informed.

ive seen skream play mad times and as every other DJ ive seen play enough, my enjoyment of the set has so many variables that its really not a good idea to think somebody is a wack DJ off one set.... much less what some dsf shit talk says lol

if you had a good time, and you thought skream was dope, why NOT big up the promoter etc etc? im just sayin, imho, it does more positive for skream, AND your local scene, to write a glowing (or constructive) review of the event then start yet another waste posturing pissing contest

Well my impressions from the other thread weren't only from the original post but from the numerous other posts from people who said they were disappointed. I take every opinion with a grain of salt (evidenced by the fact that I actually DID go to the event), but there was quite a bit of negative things said in that thread...like I said, this was a response to that thread, not just the post that started it.

Even so, I don't see how the location of his thread would have mattered if the content of his post was the same. I'm also not saying that poster was wrong in any way; he was just posting his own feelings, as I posted mine (although mine are definitely not wrong :mrgreen: ).

I don't think it's really fair for you to call this thread a "waste posturing pissing contest." This thread is largely positive, and to be fair the most negative/aggressive post came from you (and even that's not so bad). I didn't big up the promoter or anything because this wasn't an event review, it was me praising Skream's ability as a DJ.

human?

Post by human? » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:28 am

sall good

mans works speak for themself.. all this talk is waste

_cheef_

Re: Learn web design via videos

Post by _cheef_ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:38 am

lodadarma wrote:Understand the best technique to actually create a website step-by-step beginning from how you can set it up on Photo shop, silce after that it submitted also am with instructions on the simplest way to make skins and employ DotNetNuke all this via training videos in my little Web Tutorials Site.

millski

Post by millski » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:58 am

seen him twice also - once at a small local sweatbox affair and another at mancs WHP, sick both times.

Forum

Post by Forum » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:05 am

Image Image