WHAT IS DUBSTEP? A guide to start with is here.

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
Sonika

Re: WHAT IS DUBSTEP? A guide to start with is here.

Post by Sonika » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:10 am

the wiggle baron wrote:
Sonika wrote:
LumiNiscent wrote:dubstep allstars vol 2
thats what sold dubstep to me!

But youngsta in general offers very little variation. Love the style, its what I grew up with, but his current sets are really repetitive (no love lost to me though, the man clearly just fucking loves the sound and has done since day one - fair play) and his older sets (especially allstars vol 2!) have a really narrow range of artists and to a lesser degree sound. I mean, allstars vol 2 has what...4 different producers on it? :D Not that they arent 4 of the biggest producers ever...but you get my jist.

I think a post similar to my first one, but trying to showcase the real dubstep sound (rather than the musical fringe of the scene) would be the one. All of them will be in the first few pages somewhere already but yeah, consolidating it into the first post would be a good start.
Yeah, but Youngsta's flawless mixing aside, I would argue that all the tunes on there, while at times feeling really redundant, define what dubstep is (at least to a certain extent).

"The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving."
-Waking Life

follow me
friend me

garethom

Post by garethom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:13 am

WHAT IS DUBSTEP? BABY DON'T HURT ME

This is why I think my panel idea is the best. Whilst people like Sonika see the youngsta sound as defining what dubstep is perfectly, somebody else might see the Hessle Audio sounds as definitive dubstep, I mean SP:MC doesn't sound anything like Pangaea for example but they're both 140-ish bass music.

Sonika

Post by Sonika » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:10 am

garethom wrote:WHAT IS DUBSTEP? BABY DON'T HURT ME

This is why I think my panel idea is the best. Whilst people like Sonika see the youngsta sound as defining what dubstep is perfectly, somebody else might see the Hessle Audio sounds as definitive dubstep, I mean SP:MC doesn't sound anything like Pangaea for example but they're both 140-ish bass music.

This is too difficult! WHY IS DUBSTEP SO DIVERSE! :u:
But you win, the only thing that I'd add is that we should make sure the forum members have different background/different tastes in the dubstep scene, so we don't get the same tracks, or basically the same tracks, from 5 different people.

-Waking Life

follow me
friend me

ultraspatial

Post by ultraspatial » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:14 am

Either that or some kind of poll, so the same tunes won't be repeated and more users can participate, not only a mod-selected handful.

garethom

Post by garethom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:13 pm

ultraspatial wrote:

Either that or some kind of poll, so the same tunes won't be repeated and more users can participate, not only a mod-selected handful.
Would probably end as the forum awards did, with all the dungeon fanboys rubbing their boners together.

garethom

Post by garethom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Sonika wrote:

This is too difficult! WHY IS DUBSTEP SO DIVERSE! :u:
But you win, the only thing that I'd add is that we should make sure the forum members have different background/different tastes in the dubstep scene, so we don't get the same tracks, or basically the same tracks, from 5 different people.
Definitely man, or a rule that you can't pick the same track as somebody else already has, so you would need a group of people able to dig deep to find tunes that define dubstep to them, but are different from everybody else's choice.

Maccaveli

Post by Maccaveli » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:30 pm

garethom wrote:
ultraspatial wrote:

Would probably end as the forum awards did, with all the dungeon fanboys rubbing their boners together.
Oh man, this. I couldn't believe how much dungeon dominated those awards despite Author, Submotion Orchestra, Shackleton, Phaeleh, Joker, SBTRKT, Burial, Silkie, etc. all releasing amazing and diverse music in 2011

Sonika

Post by Sonika » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Yeah I like Youngsta's mixing and I'll listen to his mixes/sets because of that, but it starts to feel REALLY boring after a while. I like Kryptic Minds because they've got a lot more diverse stuff, but other than that, all of this "dungeon" seems pretty stale at this point. It's a part of dubstep, but you can't say it IS the defining factor of dubstep, not when you've got artists like Ramadanman, Silkie, Burial, Phaeleh, etc doing their thing. So I take back what I said about using one of the dubstep allstars

-Waking Life

follow me
friend me

Maccaveli

Post by Maccaveli » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Using one of the Dubstep Allstars would be fine, it's his newer mixes that are getting stale. But either way, a mix probably isn't the best thing for this thread in general.

Here's an idea: How about the first post has a little contents page. It starts off with the classic 2004-7 essentials then has a section for post-dubstep, tearout, dungeon, Anti-Social/Author type stuff, etc. Would make it a lot easier for noobs to find their way in if it was organised like that. As it is the thread is really overwhelming and disorganised, so putting tunes in loose categories could make things easier. Thoughts?

Sonika

Post by Sonika » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Yeah, like a table of contents with links! But I also thing we should incorporate garethom's idea

-Waking Life

follow me
friend me

ultraspatial

Post by ultraspatial » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:19 pm

garethom wrote:
ultraspatial wrote:

I guess you're right, but if there's only a handful of users selected, some styles (like dungeon) might be left out. It depends on what you're going for.

garethom

Post by garethom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Maccaveli wrote:Using one of the Dubstep Allstars would be fine, it's his newer mixes that are getting stale. But either way, a mix probably isn't the best thing for this thread in general.

Here's an idea: How about the first post has a little contents page. It starts off with the classic 2004-7 essentials then has a section for post-dubstep, tearout, dungeon, Anti-Social/Author type stuff, etc. Would make it a lot easier for noobs to find their way in if it was organised like that. As it is the thread is really overwhelming and disorganised, so putting tunes in loose categories could make things easier. Thoughts?
That's a good idea man.

Again though, would just have to whittle it down to avoid the inevitable 10,000 youtube videos of tunes in each style.

WE NEED BOUNDARIES MODS, WE ARE RUNNING RECKLESS AND FREE.

leeany

Post by leeany » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:00 pm

garethom wrote:WHAT IS DUBSTEP? BABY DON'T HURT ME.
DUBSTEP IS DUBSTEP - LA LAA LA LA LAA

Sonika

Post by Sonika » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:49 pm

LumiNiscent wrote:
garethom wrote:WHAT IS DUBSTEP? BABY DON'T HURT ME.
DUBSTEP IS DUBSTEP - LA LAA LA LA LAA
Aw man, I was gonna quote that and make it my new signature :( you got there first

-Waking Life

follow me
friend me

farofaxxx

Post by farofaxxx » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Whats the diference between,dubstep,brostep and modestep?

Maccaveli

Post by Maccaveli » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:59 pm

farofaxxx wrote:Whats the diference between,dubstep,brostep and modestep?
I'm afraid to answer this in case it's a troll :lol:

gh0ul

Post by gh0ul » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Always loved this track.

Pretty much any and all DMZ tunes define Dubstep to me personally. The perfect blend of Dub and 2-step garage.

This is the track that sold me to Coki. Coki puts so much into his tracks and it shows. The atmosphere that this track creates makes it an instant classic for me.

I also must add in Loefah, Silkie and Skream as well. I really like Skream's remix of Ancient Memories.
|My Website|->www.S3J9.com
|My singles and mixes|-> Soundcloud.com/gh0ulz
|My Full length albums|-> gh0ul.bandcamp.com

syrup
Reigning Mini-Mix King

Post by syrup » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:02 am

If these tunes haven't been posted yet, they definitely should've been!

Soundcloud
dubfordessert wrote:you can jizz on me if you want

yakas

Post by yakas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:09 pm

perhaps the questions should be, "what is not dubstep?"

wehlfest

Post by wehlfest » Fri May 11, 2012 3:32 pm

If the bass drops in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
New 8-bar grime 4/20 tune:

Soundcloud