A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
User avatar
_boring
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:21 pm
Location: BUFFALO, NY
Contact:

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by _boring » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:55 am

bum robot wrote:
Psyche wrote:Why does any of this even matter?

The "good" dubstep is still around, it's not hard to find.

Why do people get so uptight when someone starts doing well?
this guy wins
hehe this makes me laugh but really, from what i have heard............yea.....skirllex...... i mean..... uhhhh....its just not what i consider progressive, but its progressive to people who have a small imagination so....let em have fun.
SOUNDCLOUD.COM/STUNTMANSTEP
SOUNDCLOUD.COM/STUNTMAN-2
SOUNDCLOUD.COM/STUNTMAN-3
WAXMUSEUMRADIO.NET
MNM PRESENTS/QUEEN CITY CARTEL
Soundcloud
Soundcloud

AllNightDayDream
Posts: 2239
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Feelin the Illinoise

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by AllNightDayDream » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:47 am

Dark Reign wrote:I like Scary Monsters & Scattah. Both good filth tunes. But he is making more sales because of being in a popular emo band and being on Deadmau5 label. Excision, Datsik & Downlink all make the same style of tune only better IMO but they've never came close to teh sales Skrillex is getting. Most people would agree that his tunes are well produced and hit hard and for what they are they are pretty good.
Have you heard any other skrillex tracks? He makes mostly house, no doubt about it. That's a different playing field than excision and co.
charliefoy wrote:Wait isn't Skrillex in Suicide Silence?
A quick google search would tell you he was in From First To Last.

esskayy
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:14 am

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by esskayy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:52 am

:spam:

ehl75767
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by ehl75767 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:06 am

Psyche wrote:Why does any of this even matter?

The "good" dubstep is still around, it's not hard to find.

dude knows

ashley
Permanent Vacation
Posts: 9591
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: CHAT ▄▄█▀▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀ GET BANGED
Contact:

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by ashley » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 am

I've never heard of Skrillex until like, the past week.

rob sparx
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 10:52 pm
Location: Leicester
Contact:

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by rob sparx » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:19 pm

ashley wrote:I've never heard of Skrillex until like, the past week.
Ditto

Don't play into viral marketing hands if you guys really hate an artist don't feed their publicity

Ppl on here always moaning about why are things the way they are etc but id really like to see more artists going for the holy grail of musical integrity and popular appeal although sure some on here would still hate it

User avatar
kingGhost
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:30 pm
Location: charlotte, nc
Contact:

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by kingGhost » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:33 pm

friends of mine used to be in a metalcore band who played a show with from first to last once... guys were complete pricks to the local bands... bout got their asses beat til they got the police to make everyone leave -w- -w- -w-

anyway, deadmouse and skrillex aren't dubstep, so that should tell you beatport is COMPLETE WASTE.

let's talk about the upcoming DMZLP002
Electric_Head wrote:It is in fact my semen.

User avatar
nicon
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:03 am

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by nicon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:03 pm

Laika wrote:[quote="nicon" its allmost 2011... they stopped making technics...

Proof? Because all the 1200s are still in production according to Technic's website. IN fact, they have a new 1200 coming out with most of the same motor, belt, and table components. I don't get why you are trying to slam analog tables to help bigup the digital popstep scene.
Im not trying slam anything man... I still love vinyl and nothing is better then getting a fresh batch of quality tunes for the collection... but be honest here man... lots of the n00b DJ's dont even bother with buying a DJ setup anymore... and with lots of clubs its the same... so much crap technics everywhere that itll make it impossible to even play a decent vinyl set... only the really big good clubs have em but how many times will you DJ there? once or twice in your life? mostly its fubar decks alongside decent working CDJ's... And the thing i hate more then playing with CD's is playing a set that sucks cause of technical difficulties... or when people start moshing and are pushing the decks.... sorry I just hate it when my needles are skipping... Now im using traktor scratch so i can have the option of playing vinyl when the decks are good and CDJ's if they are terrible..
SUBWAY MUSIC (Subway / Tube10 / SCUM)
Events / Music Group / Agency

http://www.subwaymusic.nl/

for bookings & demo's:
geoff@subwaymusic.nl

User avatar
nicon
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:03 am

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by nicon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:05 pm

charliefoy wrote:To nicon-
I heard that that technics thing was just a rumor, and even if it wasn't it wouldn't make a difference, Technics last a very very long time anyway. A lot of people are still using vinyl (including me), quite a few still cut dubs, Mala cuts acetate, what these brosteppers don't understand is that idea behind dubstep, I doubt Mala is cutting acetate just to look cool...
Oh and how can you say that no one has a record player these days, such a bold statement that doesn't make any sense. Have you ever used vinyl?
Mate i played vinyl till it became nearly impossible for me cause of the shit equipment... Technics last long indeed but when some clown DJ is climbing on the booth to show how superstar he is.. the decks will say "fuck u im not build for this" or Sound engineers knowing jack shit about fixing a turntable or dont even know when a turntable is broken.. DJ's that upgrade the pitch control cause they need a 16+ pitch... my list can go on and on... If i could play vinyl at EVERY club i play then bring back the vinyls & acetate i say cause vinyl just sounds alot sicker (ill be the last guy in the world to say no to that) but in this day and age its only doable in bedrooms (because those people tend to care for their decks)

also id like to point out... when is the last time you played on a pair of brand spanking new decks? i had that oppertunity ONCE in the 5 years ive been DJing in clubs.... So those decks that are in the clubs could very well be 10 to 15 years old...

The turntables survival depends on just 1 factor... CLUBS NEED TO BUY NEW ONES
SUBWAY MUSIC (Subway / Tube10 / SCUM)
Events / Music Group / Agency

http://www.subwaymusic.nl/

for bookings & demo's:
geoff@subwaymusic.nl

James B
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:19 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by James B » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:52 pm

Skrillex has amazing production, you have to look at that kind of music in a different way to real dubstep. Stop hating! Its not really dubstep but I still like it

User avatar
brasco
Posts: 3092
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:01 pm
Location: Sussex
Contact:

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by brasco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:01 pm

legend4ry wrote:The best music is always unappreciated by the masses.

Fact.
/thread.
Soundcloud
incnic wrote:pictire disc ones track harder than the black ones due to the colopured pgment being magnetsed for the stylus

charliefoy
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:38 pm
Location: the fez

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by charliefoy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:32 pm

AllNightDayDream wrote:
Dark Reign wrote:I like Scary Monsters & Scattah. Both good filth tunes. But he is making more sales because of being in a popular emo band and being on Deadmau5 label. Excision, Datsik & Downlink all make the same style of tune only better IMO but they've never came close to teh sales Skrillex is getting. Most people would agree that his tunes are well produced and hit hard and for what they are they are pretty good.
Have you heard any other skrillex tracks? He makes mostly house, no doubt about it. That's a different playing field than excision and co.
charliefoy wrote:Wait isn't Skrillex in Suicide Silence?
A quick google search would tell you he was in From First To Last.
Ahhh I remember the days of fftl.

moody g
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:59 am
Location: Seattle, Washington USA
Contact:

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by moody g » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:22 pm

just go make some music.
Last edited by moody g on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The SubDivision
http://soundcloud.com/the-subdivision
http://www.paradiselostrecordings.com; http://www.tsunami-audio.com
http://soundcloud.com/paradiselostrec; http://soundcloud.com/tsunami-audio
TSD releases on: Paradise Lost Recordings!!!!! and.... Requiem Audio/Mode Recs/True Tiger Recs
/Terminal Dusk Recs/Shift Recs/Dubkraft Recs

User avatar
_boring
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:21 pm
Location: BUFFALO, NY
Contact:

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by _boring » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:13 pm

safe geoff, we are lost has been big
SOUNDCLOUD.COM/STUNTMANSTEP
SOUNDCLOUD.COM/STUNTMAN-2
SOUNDCLOUD.COM/STUNTMAN-3
WAXMUSEUMRADIO.NET
MNM PRESENTS/QUEEN CITY CARTEL
Soundcloud
Soundcloud

User avatar
incnic
Permanent Vacation
Posts: 5841
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:28 am

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by incnic » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:45 pm

top 50 in beatport dubstep charts

well done that muct equal around about 4 sales

:lol:
brostep

User avatar
Soiree
Posts: 2906
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Humboldt, CA

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by Soiree » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:02 am

VINYL is FREEDOM
thekuku wrote:Nah never taking the piss. Not on DSF at least ;-)

AllNightDayDream
Posts: 2239
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Feelin the Illinoise

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by AllNightDayDream » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:59 am

I heard skrillex at a bowling alley the other day

It was my favorite track by him but it was still realllllyyyy weird

ChadDub
Posts: 2234
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:45 pm
Location: Whooping Crane
Contact:

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by ChadDub » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:37 am

Yeah, I really love Skrillex because he's signed to Deadmau5's record label, not because it sounds good to me.

I doubt the majority of his listeners even know what label he's on.

BASED
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:32 am

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by BASED » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:00 am

who the fuck cares about beatport anyway?

User avatar
brokedjs
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:40 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: A Rant About Dubstep/Beatport/Skrillex/Deadmau5

Post by brokedjs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:44 pm

I think you should give music buyers a bit more credit where its due, this isnt iTunes, its not top of the pops, its a digital mp3 site for what could be considered niche music across different genres.
People buy the tracks because they like the tracks, not because its deadmau5's label, who the fuck buys something they out and out dont like but because of the label it makes a difference.
AWK001 - Broke DJs - Jaan EP
HHCD Broke DJs - Knuckle Duster
White: Broke DJs - Dub On The Motorway
White: Broke DJs - Americano
PLT002: Broke DJs - Personal/Personal (Riskotheque & Marchmellow Remix)
QUAN004: Broke DJs -Boogie

soundcloud.com/brokedjs
facebook.com/brokedjs

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests