From Techno to Dubstep

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
User avatar
dekka
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:03 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

From Techno to Dubstep

Post by dekka » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:25 pm

I used to be a devout techno dj and all round lover of the music however as time has gone on techno and most other 4/4 styles of dance music have lost their fizz and character.
I am relatively new to Dubstep and Grime but am already converted, don't get me wrong I still enjoy and would play a bit of Techno, Electro etc. but after listening to artists like Vex'd, Skream, Plactician, Milanese etc. my mind was made up about where I wanted to take myself in terms of Djing and Production.
The reason why I have started this thread is solely for newcomers to the sound like myself who want more info on Dj sets, Production Tips, Interviews of artists, Radio Stations etc. and really any webpage or site of any value to Dubstep or Grime that can aid my education!
Feel free to leave any of your links below. Dekka :idea:

User avatar
unlikely
Posts: 1839
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:35 am
Location: London
Contact:

Post by unlikely » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:31 pm

a lot of artists in dubstep are applying a minimal techno aesthetic to their tunes atm, check out the new release on skull disco and the peverelist release on punch drunk records

paolo
Posts: 2011
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:54 pm
Location: Glasgow - no more hungover bus journeys home!

Post by paolo » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:52 pm

An excellent way to find out about dubstep is to download mixes and radio shows from the audio section
http://www.thehungersite.com
ckzdub wrote:no 1 fucking cares about ur oppinion go back to listening to ur soft ass homophobe. garage 2step medatative bullshit

4linehaiku
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:10 pm
Location: Berlin / Edinburgh
Contact:

Post by 4linehaiku » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Check out the Mark Ashken - Skream remixes

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=31590

Techno Dubstep Joy.

User avatar
djshiva
Posts: 4933
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:13 pm
Location: aka sapphic_beats Indianaptizzle, IN USA
Contact:

Re: From Techno to Dubstep

Post by djshiva » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:44 am

Dekka wrote:I used to be a devout techno dj and all round lover of the music however as time has gone on techno and most other 4/4 styles of dance music have lost their fizz and character.
I am relatively new to Dubstep and Grime but am already converted, don't get me wrong I still enjoy and would play a bit of Techno, Electro etc. but after listening to artists like Vex'd, Skream, Plactician, Milanese etc. my mind was made up about where I wanted to take myself in terms of Djing and Production.
The reason why I have started this thread is solely for newcomers to the sound like myself who want more info on Dj sets, Production Tips, Interviews of artists, Radio Stations etc. and really any webpage or site of any value to Dubstep or Grime that can aid my education!
Feel free to leave any of your links below. Dekka :idea:
heya...

greets from another techno dj. still far immersed in the techno thing, but really loving dubstep and especially loving this space where techno and dubstep are coming together...

:)
Here, have a free tune:
Soundcloud

User avatar
smudge
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:14 pm

Re: From Techno to Dubstep

Post by smudge » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:32 am

Dekka wrote:I used to be a devout techno dj and all round lover of the music however as time has gone on techno and most other 4/4 styles of dance music have lost their fizz and character.
I am relatively new to Dubstep and Grime but am already converted, don't get me wrong I still enjoy and would play a bit of Techno, Electro etc. but after listening to artists like Vex'd, Skream, Plactician, Milanese etc. my mind was made up about where I wanted to take myself in terms of Djing and Production.
The reason why I have started this thread is solely for newcomers to the sound like myself who want more info on Dj sets, Production Tips, Interviews of artists, Radio Stations etc. and really any webpage or site of any value to Dubstep or Grime that can aid my education!
Feel free to leave any of your links below. Dekka :idea:

This is so true. I got dragged to Fabric on Saturday. Lets just say that underground house music feels DEAD...
have you got anything a bit more deep and spacey please...?

User avatar
juliun_c90
Posts: 1127
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:33 am
Location: Sheffield, UK

Post by juliun_c90 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:42 am

also check out andy stott's releases on modern love.

rich_c90
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:55 pm
Location: Berlin

Post by rich_c90 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:02 am

rooted have just got in a load of Basic Channel Reissues... check it out...

grave
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:59 am

Post by grave » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:38 am

and buy them all!

grafik
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:54 am

Post by grafik » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:12 pm

i've found that the rinse fm sets by distance and many others provide a lot of info about current and upcoming tunes from a variety of artists. i've gone out and bought a number of records cause of distance's show in particular that i might have missed otherwise.

[b]racket
Posts: 1803
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: E20
Contact:

Post by [b]racket » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:29 pm

If you are feeling both Techno and Dubstep and want to hear it all under one roof then I recommend checking out Plex in London - currently runs bi-monthly. Check the link in my sig....

*plug over*

:wink:

User avatar
ytee
Posts: 2910
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:09 pm
Location: CanadaStep
Contact:

Post by ytee » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:57 pm

We've got a night here in London, Canada where Dj Cure and a guy named Pat Giles have been mixing techno, electro and dubstep on a pretty crazy setup.....they all go so well together....gives me boners....big time.

User avatar
dekka
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:03 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Post by dekka » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:31 pm

Nice one for the links................and keep them coming! I also forgot to ask in my original post if anyone knows of any Techno dj's spinnin' Dubstep & Grime?

[b]racket
Posts: 1803
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: E20
Contact:

Post by [b]racket » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:34 pm

Dekka wrote:Nice one for the links................and keep them coming! I also forgot to ask in my original post if anyone knows of any Techno dj's spinnin' Dubstep & Grime?
Tony Surgeon normally drops dubstep in his sets.

User avatar
djshiva
Posts: 4933
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:13 pm
Location: aka sapphic_beats Indianaptizzle, IN USA
Contact:

Post by djshiva » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:35 pm

ricardo villalobos is really into the shizz too...

i think the direction that some dubstep is going is rapidly hitting a sweet spot where techno is aiming too...and this makes me incredibly happy...
Here, have a free tune:
Soundcloud

User avatar
dekka
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:03 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Post by dekka » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:50 pm

You and me both mate! I just hope minimal techno stays the fuck away from Dubstep.............It drove me away from 4/4 music altogether, for some reason alot of really talented techno producers seemed to want to make minimal and to be honest it irritates the bollox out of me, not to mention the fact that it sucks the life out of techno too, I'm all for change in a genre as long as you don't minimalize it. People might stick up for minimal sounding music and production techniques but I disagree with, whoever you are :wink:

User avatar
djshiva
Posts: 4933
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:13 pm
Location: aka sapphic_beats Indianaptizzle, IN USA
Contact:

Post by djshiva » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:55 pm

Dekka wrote:You and me both mate! I just hope minimal techno stays the fuck away from Dubstep.............It drove me away from 4/4 music altogether, for some reason alot of really talented techno producers seemed to want to make minimal and to be honest it irritates the bollox out of me, not to mention the fact that it sucks the life out of techno too, I'm all for change in a genre as long as you don't minimalize it. People might stick up for minimal sounding music and production techniques but I disagree with, whoever you are :wink:
hmmm...well i would call a lot of dubstep fairly minimal in its approach.

i think i understand what you mean (i.e. EVERYONE went UBERBORINGminimal and most of it is utter shite), but dubstep actually qualifies as fairly minimal to me.
Here, have a free tune:
Soundcloud

villem
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:53 pm

Post by villem » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:55 pm

[b]racket wrote:If you are feeling both Techno and Dubstep and want to hear it all under one roof then I recommend checking out Plex in London - currently runs bi-monthly. Check the link in my sig....

*plug over*

:wink:
interesting will check

casino addict
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:12 pm
Location: london

Post by casino addict » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:33 pm

going from techno into dubstep waters seems natural to me. good techno, like good dubstep, is bare-bones music - nothing wasted. i'm not talking about 'minimal techno' as such, most of which is lame, but about a form of music that has just the bare essentials in the track needed to work head and feet.

personally i like my techno with interesting basslines, not just a sub pulse under every kick. i'm sure plenty of people would agree with me that this element has been increasing missing from techno. certainly goes some way to explaining why a lot of my friends who like techno are enjoying dubstep too.

along with surgeon, timeblind (chris sattinger) is someone else who became known for techno but is now following dubstep output. there's an interesting interview with him just here: http://www.spannered.org/music/1169/ (there are also a few mixes from surgeon there that dip into dubstep, if you poke around the site).

User avatar
dekka
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:03 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Post by dekka » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:35 pm

sapphic_beats wrote:
Dekka wrote:You and me both mate! I just hope minimal techno stays the fuck away from Dubstep.............It drove me away from 4/4 music altogether, for some reason alot of really talented techno producers seemed to want to make minimal and to be honest it irritates the bollox out of me, not to mention the fact that it sucks the life out of techno too, I'm all for change in a genre as long as you don't minimalize it. People might stick up for minimal sounding music and production techniques but I disagree with, whoever you are :wink:
hmmm...well i would call a lot of dubstep fairly minimal in its approach.

i think i understand what you mean (i.e. EVERYONE went UBERBORINGminimal and most of it is utter shite), but dubstep actually qualifies as fairly minimal to me.
Your definitely right Dubstep is a minimal genre of music and your also definitely right in that everyone went UBERBORING! However dubstep unlike minimal has outstanding features ie Bass for example which keeps you movin' while your on the dancefloor, minimal lacks any realsound bar blips and glitches which annoys me.......anyway were going well off the point here this thread is about how refreshing Dubstep is to a newbie to the sound

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests