half-step

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
ramadanman

Post by ramadanman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:52 pm

whoever posted that beat earlier on

it's alright....nice idea using drum breaks in that way

not that punchy though, doesn't hugely go anywhere :(

blackdown
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by blackdown » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:30 pm

Joseph-J wrote:Also it gets the scene away from going down the Harder, Faster route that dnb went down...
this absolutely has to be avoided.
Keysound Recordings, Rinse FM, http://www.blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com, sub, edge, bars, groove, swing...

we eat our young

Post by we eat our young » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:37 pm

The scene can support both sounds as well as plenty of other sounds- which is why i think this is going to be a great year for dubstep.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

joseph-j

Post by joseph-j » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:44 pm

we eat our young wrote:The scene can support both sounds as well as plenty of other sounds- which is why i think this is going to be a great year for dubstep.

Why does it have to be one or the other?
I don't think anyone's saying it does......?

toxin

Post by toxin » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:55 pm

this scene is still young and will mature gradualy, as long as theres people feelin the music it doesn matter if its half step or whatever....
personaly tho id like to hear more rollin stuff with half step incorporated in the mix but thats down to the DJ's init........

dubmugga

Post by dubmugga » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:01 pm

luke.envoy wrote:
hahaha too much jokes!!

you wanna turn that ego down mate, it aint doing u any favours
it aint as good as you make it out to be, and yes we've ''heard anything like it''

u really think its up there with mud, and that its like nothing else?
ur on a joketing mate :lol:

even if u do make a tune as good as mud, dont go braggin it on a forum :lol:
^^^i think it's a new direction in dubstep and not like that boring cloned shit you make which you seem so precious about...BWWWWWWWAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAA :lol:

it's an unfinished demo and little more than a beat, like as in a drum pattern !!!...let's not confuse a beat with a tune or a tune with a song

so what've you heard in a halfstep that's like it ??? post a link I dare ya !!! I'm betting you won't though :wink:

and you can jam your advice up your ass but you might have to pull your head out of it for starters...

...the problem with halfsteppas is the reliance on a basic backbeat with the bass carrying the weight of the tune which is why you need to alternate with fullsteppas or things do start to sound samey and boring

with us it's mostly about the beat and creating a tune in the context of a mix, maybe even just as a hookless interlude or with the next tune having the hook or our beat riding underneath someone elses hook... :)

music doesn't have to go anywhere or have a hook, the point was to make you listen to it and you did
people have to be more inventive when constructing a track, cause anyone can bash together a 4/4 riddim.
c/- DEPT of HELL SCIENCE

adruu

Post by adruu » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:15 pm

your tune aint all that, and the attitude is fucking foul...

dubmugga

Post by dubmugga » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:24 pm

^^^it's a beat not a tune yet...

...I know it's not all that but it's not like a lot of beats out there in the context of halfsteppas

that's all it was meant to highlight...

...and this whole net thing is all about attitude and playing tit for tat

makes for livelier discussion, don't you think :wink:
c/- DEPT of HELL SCIENCE

juliun_c90

Post by juliun_c90 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:38 pm

really tried hard not to get involved in this one and get acrimonious, but your attitude's got the better of me.

my loss on two counts i guess:

1) i couldn't rise above

2)just wasted two and a half minutes of my life downloading and listening to your revolutionary new direction in dubstep.

joseph-j

Post by joseph-j » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:44 pm

juliun_c90 wrote:really tried hard not to get involved in this one and get acrimonious, but your attitude's got the better of me.

my loss on two counts i guess:

1) i couldn't rise above

2)just wasted two and a half minutes of my life downloading and listening to your revolutionary new direction in dubstep.
Right, that's it, now I'M going to have to waste 2 minutes of my life listening to it as well, just to see what all the fuss is about. Thanks juliun. ;)

luke.envoy
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by luke.envoy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:30 pm

dubmugga
if your half finished beat is like nothing else we've heard in half step before, just finish it get it out and let people decide if its something new

instead of announcing to all of us yourself that youre taking dubstep in a new direction with your half finished tune

joker :lol:

mrjiggyfly

Post by mrjiggyfly » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:41 pm

dubmugga wrote:
Logos wrote:
dubmugga wrote:
Chef wrote: I dare anyone to try and make a beat like Ruffige or Mud that sounds as good.
...so have you heard our beat "the dead truth " ???

a halfsteppa like nothing else...
You're not short of confidence I'll give you that :lol:
...then tell me if you've heard anything like it ???

http://s1.ultrashare.net/hosting/fs/cb05d809a5b8603c/

more step less dub...
Hey Nubfluffa,
It aint all that!!
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

elgato

Post by elgato » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:06 pm

dubmugga wrote:...the problem with halfsteppas is the reliance on a basic backbeat with the bass carrying the weight of the tune which is why you need to alternate with fullsteppas or things do start to sound samey and boring
Its worth saying that theres a big difference between basic, and minimal. Basic implies a lack of refinement or thought...which i dont think is true of much of the halfstep around, much of which creates a definite and distinct groove...compare for instance haunted and system. So they both use a snare on the halfstep, but the way they make you move are completely different (Haunted in itself switches rhythm every 32 bars or something!), even if you took out everything apart from the beat. Which is the other important thing, the groove of a track comes from so much more than the drums, all parts of a tune can add to the rhythmic swing. And thats only talking in terms of groove, ignoring so many other things about aural experience. For me things only start to get samey and boring if artists work from the exact same blueprint...i easily find enough variation in 'halfstep' (in beats, bass, melody, rhythm, timbre, atmosphere) to keep me much much more than interested...

plus, surely this whole internet thing is about community and shared loves, not attitude

Jubz

Post by Jubz » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:25 pm

In the immortal words- Shut Up and Dance!

dubmugga

Post by dubmugga » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:34 pm

luke.envoy wrote:dubmugga
if your half finished beat is like nothing else we've heard in half step before, just finish it get it out and let people decide if its something new

instead of announcing to all of us yourself that youre taking dubstep in a new direction with your half finished tune

joker :lol:
dubmugga wrote:so what've you heard in a halfstep that's like it ??? post a link I dare ya !!! I'm betting you won't though :wink:
...please luke you do like you do and i'll do the same but enough with the personal advice eh ???

i don't need a life coach...:D

Elgato...

...yes i do think there is a lack of refinement in most halfsteppas beatwise, it's just too easy to do the halfsteppas by numbers thing

just like it was too easy to rinse an amen in jungle and slap a ragga sample over it...

...in saying that, i would love to hear from anybody where they think the next direction in halftime dubstep is going

more step less dub i say and i bet the more you listen to "the dead truth" the more you'll realise just how good it really is... :lol:
c/- DEPT of HELL SCIENCE

kion

Post by kion » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:43 pm

Jubscarz wrote:In the immortal words- Shut Up and Dance!
don't you mean STFU and Skank

:P
http://www.vitalsinesmusic.com
DUBS / PROMOS / DEMOS - AIM 'djkion' / send to info[at]vitalsinesmusic.com
mixcloud.com/djkion < archive dubpressure shows

ufo over easy

Post by ufo over easy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:48 pm

dubmugga wrote: i don't need a life coach...:D
Yes you do. :|
:d:

yello

Post by yello » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:13 pm

I think the point is: play a whole set of halfstep and it will lack the true force of dubstep.

Play a whole set of breakstep and it will miss the true force of dubstep.

Mix it all up and add some grime-rithms and you'll have a fuckin' great thing!!!

But I agree, that this variation seems to be getting scarser then it was a good year, a year-and-a-half ago.

elgato

Post by elgato » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:19 pm

I dont know what to say, if thats your opinion then thats your opinion, I just dont at all agree. Just because its easy to rinse out a rhythm or style without much effort doesnt mean that people are doing that. Its easy to make something bate in any style you care to mention, but that doesnt detract from the value of it when its done sick, which it is, by many producers many times over. So many examples...

In terms of where its going, there are so many directions it could conceivably go I wouldnt dare guess...and why bother when whats here now is so fresh as it is?!

luke.envoy
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by luke.envoy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:32 pm

UFO over easy wrote:
dubmugga wrote: i don't need a life coach...:D
Yes you do. :|
:lol: