FWD>> history lesson please!

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
obiwan

Post by obiwan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Not yet? Por que? Cos I thought the sound system at the end is shit or cos i thought less different grime emcees are touching mic? I'm not bothered I'm just interested to know waht you think cos i ain't saying I've been around from day etc
2 New Tunes Up On The Top Myspace Address!!!

> http://www.myspace.com/dubfarma <
http://www.myspace.com/bigbenlondon

rudeski damager

Re: FWD>> history lesson please!

Post by rudeski damager » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:05 pm

DJ Heny.G wrote:
benjybars wrote:can anyone out there from day one give a rundown of FWD's history..

specifically, in 2002-2003 times was early grime played at FWD as much as the darker garage of horsepower etc... would eskimo get dropped for example and if so how did it go down?? did many MCs turn up in them days (i gather Ms dynamite was a regular)?? what were crowds like?

anyone who can give a taste of early FWD days please step up!
Boy, i remember the early plastic people days, i remember when Ms Dynimite came down on youngsta's set and tore da place down bk in 2002, there was times when slimzee came down and played grime, and as long as the beats were tight, they would always go down a treat,i think bk in dem days people didnt care,the crowed is very much more thickle now then bk then, coz bk then it was very early days u know, even tho tho the crowd now has extended and they are MUCH more louder than ever!

Its funny u cumin out with that topic, coz i said on many occasions that ive been going fwd since velvet days, i was 15 now im 21 and its going so strong, different faces EVERY week, and its a plesure to c as that night has been a part ov my life since my mid teenage days...

Well, just to let ya know, ill be behind them decks next friday @ FWD, so get urselfs down there! :-)
Yh u know my man Skanzee from Uptown init Heny? Seen u 2 chatting at FWD near the end. He is usually a Garage ONLY person, so i was quite shocked 2 see him enjoying himself :D

And about Skepta/JME, ye they was there Friday. Smacked it nicely still. JME didn't touch mic tough, it was Crazy D Skepta b2b on Mic, Hatcha Benga b2b on deck. Tough set.

Ye haha... skepta was coming with jokes all night. He was going "Oi come we take Benga outside and rob man for his record back" etc. Some of the dubstep student types weren't really feeling the robbing talk too tough :evil:

Was all good vibes though! Great night as always.
Might see me goin on safe and pally
Next day screw face, like how can he..

thinking

Post by thinking » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:15 pm

apart from the big one at The End, I haven't been FWD since 2004.

obviously propa diff vibe back then - you had most of the scene just chattin in the bar, J da, S&D, the Hot Flush boys, Benny Ill, Vex'd, Distance, all sorts really, but the dancefloor was no doubt a bit emptier than it is nowadays. :lol:

heard Ms D touch mic a few times, was pretty mad hearin her go mad over Pop Pop being dropped for the first time down FWD.

Wicked times tho, we used to mission it there & back from Bristol every Thursday.....home at 4am and redeye in work the next day. :o
BLACK BOX & BOX CLEVER

paulie wrote:Thinking >>>> everyone else on this forum.

4linehaiku

Post by 4linehaiku » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:42 pm

Blackdown's Blog wrote:For years there were months when Forward>> limped by. I remember one Slimzee set, right towards the end of his reign as the grime DJ, when the only, and I mean only, person on the dancefloor, was Philip Sherborne, whooping, hollering and waving his hands above his head at some gritty grime dubplate. As I say, how things have changed.
I find this mental image absolutley hilarious.

pk-

Post by pk- » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:10 pm

so do you lot who've been going since it started not like FWD as it is now?

i've only been going since last summer so i've only known it pretty much in its current form (although i swear you didn't have to queue last year), but it seems like the consensus is it was better back when it started?

plastician
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by plastician » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:01 pm

Earliest FWD memory was going to Velvet rooms and hearing Hatcha play Benga's Storm Remix (the original was by Wookie).

It went OFF!!

Then the next day I was playing at a small party in Elephant Bar in Croydon - Benga was down there and we were chattin away and I met another dubstepper for the first time - N Type.

He came over to the DJ booth to say hello and was chattin about FWD the previous night, mentioning "that storm remix" not realising he was stood next to the man responsible for it (Benga).

Benga and I kept kinda lookin at eachother as if to say "this is jokes, this fella is raving on about the storm remix not realising he's stood next to the guy who produced it!".

Anyway, we eventually told N Type Benga produced it and we ended up all having a proper jokes night. I kept in touch with N Type and a couple of weeks later dropped him a CD of my tracks which he played on his Delight FM set.

Still remember tuning into the show getting goosebumps when I heard my tunes played on the radio - he was the first DJ ever to play one of my tracks on the radio apart from myself.

Good memories - I'm sure I have more of the actual FWD event but that memory is quite funny as it's the first proper memory I have of meeting N Type.

I have the first ever FWD flyer in my room somewhere. All about the line-ups back then - so random!!

Mike "Ruff Cut" Lloyd
Heartless Crew
Hatcha
Youngsta
Tubby
Martin Larner

Big up the people who remember those days!!

benjybars

Post by benjybars » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:33 pm

that's funny that mike 'ruff cut' played the first fwd (was that the first ever FWD or just the first flyer??)... he plays pretty much straight up 2-step doesnt' he?? and i didn't realise tubby had been round since then aswell.. that's heavy!

so was slimzee the only guy who would play grime bits in those days?? mala was saying youngsta dropped wiley dubplates when he first saw him :?: :o

tronman

Post by tronman » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:57 pm

rah..martin larner...what happened to him..?

i remember this interview on the 2SG website from 03 an thinkin yeh you're cool.

Luckystrike: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE CURRENT UK GARAGE SCENE?

Martin Larner: Its in a state of change, which is good I think, (I don't agree with
the violence etc but that's not just Garage clubs its happening, we just
get the finger pointed at us all the time) there are to many heads in
the scene that don't like progression and are trying to hold on to the
past, I think everyone should just do what they feel and let the strong
survive. Look at drum and bass....you have dark, intelligent, vocal,
experimental, hardstep, jungle, old skool everything all side by side
and flourishing, why cant garage be like that???
M: http://www.myspace.com/1mandj
T: http://www.twitter.com/djoneman
AIM : onemanselector
Soundcloud
more snares

***RINSE 11 MIXED BY ONEMAN OUT MARCH 1st 2010 !!!***

thinking

Post by thinking » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:13 pm

benjybars wrote:mala was saying youngsta dropped wiley dubplates when he first saw him :?: :o
yunx def dropped some super-minimal 8bar stuff when I was goin in 2003/04, I remember being blown away by how stripped down it was, hadn't heard anything like it at the time.
BLACK BOX & BOX CLEVER

paulie wrote:Thinking >>>> everyone else on this forum.

westos

Post by westos » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:43 pm

I heard some one robbed ALL of Mr Larners tunes or summin... bout a year ago I think.

benjybars

Post by benjybars » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:47 am

westos wrote:I heard some one robbed ALL of Mr Larners tunes or summin... bout a year ago I think.
deep :o

n-type
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by n-type » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:40 pm

Plasticman wrote:Earliest FWD memory was going to Velvet rooms and hearing Hatcha play Benga's Storm Remix (the original was by Wookie).

It went OFF!!

Then the next day I was playing at a small party in Elephant Bar in Croydon - Benga was down there and we were chattin away and I met another dubstepper for the first time - N Type.

He came over to the DJ booth to say hello and was chattin about FWD the previous night, mentioning "that storm remix" not realising he was stood next to the man responsible for it (Benga).

Benga and I kept kinda lookin at eachother as if to say "this is jokes, this fella is raving on about the storm remix not realising he's stood next to the guy who produced it!".

Anyway, we eventually told N Type Benga produced it and we ended up all having a proper jokes night. I kept in touch with N Type and a couple of weeks later dropped him a CD of my tracks which he played on his Delight FM set.

Still remember tuning into the show getting goosebumps when I heard my tunes played on the radio - he was the first DJ ever to play one of my tracks on the radio apart from myself.

Good memories - I'm sure I have more of the actual FWD event but that memory is quite funny as it's the first proper memory I have of meeting N Type.

I have the first ever FWD flyer in my room somewhere. All about the line-ups back then - so random!!

Mike "Ruff Cut" Lloyd
Heartless Crew
Hatcha
Youngsta
Tubby
Martin Larner

oi oi!! memories!

Big up Plastic and benny!!

Always knew you guys would be superstars!!

I remember getting the cd off Plastic cos it was fucking sick! I think i nearly cut everytrack! It had around 12 tracks of which included the tracks which eventually got signed to slimzos!

+ 2 special mixes of some big tracks on the scene at the time! They were monsterous! (Im gonna drop these at a rave sum time soon!)

I remember when i dropped one of them at Garage Delight the rave went nuts!! as soon as it got wheeled up, the promoter locked my set off and stuck a cheesy garage DJ on! I only played 3 tunes or sum thing but they feared that I was makin the rave get violent! They were the days when things was getting quite heated an it werent long after the shooting at Astoria on Romeos birthday, so i dont blame them for being cafeful, just it was frustratin cos at the time i was finding it hard to find raves that I could play da garage sound i liked.

Thats why wen Fwd was born I was like fucking yes!!!!!!!!!!

I used to go there and get completly beaned out of my swedey and dance like a freekazoid!

Sum serious beefy jawside action! oh gosh!

yummy yummy my face goes funny!
N-TYPE: Wheel & Deal Records Show - RINSE.FM Every TUES 9-11PM.

www.myspace.com/djntype, soundcloud.com/n-type, twitter.com/djntype, Facebook = Djntype Mark.

myspace.com/wheelanddealrecords, soundcloud.com/wheelanddealrecords, twitter.com/wheelanddealrec.

myspace.com/sincityrecordings, soundcloud.com/sincityrecordings, twitter.com/sincityuk.

benjybars

Post by benjybars » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:00 pm

N-TYPE wrote:
Sum serious beefy jawside action! oh gosh!

yummy yummy my face goes funny!
:lol: :lol:

i could listen to n-type chat about jawside action for hours! :o :D

blackdown
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by blackdown » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:39 am

Plasticman wrote:I have the first ever FWD flyer in my room somewhere. All about the line-ups back then - so random!!

Mike "Ruff Cut" Lloyd
Heartless Crew
Hatcha
Youngsta
Tubby
Martin Larner

Stanton Warriors were on the initial line up flyers but I dont ever remember them playing. Pay As U Go were too - I do remember Slimzee and Maxwell D playing at Velvet Rooms - dropping proto-grime, though we werent to know it at the time.
Keysound Recordings, Rinse FM, http://www.blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com, sub, edge, bars, groove, swing...

benjybars

Post by benjybars » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:03 am

Blackdown wrote:
Stanton Warriors were on the initial line up flyers but I dont ever remember them playing. Pay As U Go were too - I do remember Slimzee and Maxwell D playing at Velvet Rooms - dropping proto-grime, though we werent to know it at the time.
would any other MCs come down with slimzee?? waht sort of dubs was he playing.. wiley/musical mob/agent x???

T_macabre
Location: old user: TNT //Macabre Unit/Home Counties/East Anglia/

Post by T_macabre » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:08 am

Larner is back on it, has dug out a load of unreleased shit from way back when... watch this space!
MACABRE UNIT/ STINK LIKE SOCK
@T_macabre
SUB.FM MON 22:00-00:00 GMT

facebook.com/Tmacabre
Soundcloud

nazoreth

Post by nazoreth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:34 am

rah dynamite at plastic people would be heavy even now, wonder what she's up to these days? family stuff i guess

freenote vip over PP sound system - ahhhh we can all dream
Making pointless threads since '07

r53

Post by r53 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:35 am

Plastician wrote: Good memories - I'm sure I have more of the actual FWD event but that memory is quite funny as it's the first proper memory I have of meeting N Type.

Mike "Ruff Cut" Lloyd
Heartless Crew
Hatcha
Youngsta
Tubby
Martin Larner

Thanks for the read

I recently had the pleasure of having to chat with N-Type at the bar when he played in Brisbane. Was a sound guy & didnt snob me off as some drunken yob either :lol:

Did Lombardo play at Forwatd in the early days? He played here about 5 years ago? Was a mind opening experience to say the least :wink:

docdoom

Post by docdoom » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:43 am

Wicked thread - more stories please!

Would love to see Slimzee with Riko and Doogz down there about five years ago.

frodo

Post by frodo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:20 pm

I just wanted to say that this thread is awesome :U:

"Oh my God! You best call the doctors, get the ambulances ready 'cause this one is gonna go off!"