kode 9 video interview @ Remixhotel NY City

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
seckle

kode 9 video interview @ Remixhotel NY City

Post by seckle » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:57 pm

in case people haven't seen it.

kode 9 interviewed for Remix Hotel NYC , May 2007.

http://remixhotel.com/Remix_TV/

blackdown
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by blackdown » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:52 pm

anyone heard her "band?" ;)
Keysound Recordings, Rinse FM, http://www.blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com, sub, edge, bars, groove, swing...

thomas e. griffin

Post by thomas e. griffin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:15 pm

Wicked interview. I do like that lady's surprise at the the suggestion of using dissonance to create a 'dark' mood.

Seriously though, it's nice to hear Kode chatting about tonal and harmonic dissonance and his connection with the hip-hop sublime. Ever since I heard 9 samurai I've found the restrained and painstaking layering in his work fascinating.

Thanks for the link mate.

And Martin Clark, if you think you could do a better job of interviewing kode than that gyal then please do. (Seriously, please do. That Mala interview a coupla months back was ace).

baz

Post by baz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:36 pm

It's an interesting argument Kode9's making, that 'schooled' musical knowledge restricts what a musician will risk using since there's a kind of foreknowledge of how 'good' or 'bad' a note or progression will sound. I dunno if I agree to be honest, the decision to sound 'dark' or dissonant is there to be made regardless of whether you know the names of the intervals you've just used in creating the sound or not... I think it's implied that a degree of censorship exists, apparently caused by the theoretical knowledge, that removes 'incorrect' notes before they're even considered. But there's a whole wealth of theory about dissonance to be accounted for in that case so maybe that's only looking at a pretty low level of training, pentatonic scale business or whatever. Maybe it's that people lacking inspiration turn to studying theory to make up for it and produce bland music that keeps within the limits of whatever rules they've adopted. But there's an equal amount of bland music made by theoretically naive musicians (how many two note riffs have you heard recently?)...

prisoner

Post by prisoner » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:29 am

that interviewer is horrible : (

"ummm....you know....like....."

ugh.

kode9 making some excellent points as always though. 8)

seckle

Post by seckle » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:37 am

Blackdown wrote:anyone heard her "band?" ;)
lol. 8)

westernsynthetics

Post by westernsynthetics » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:20 am

I dont know that I agree with Kode9 here.

I will make the point that it goes both ways.

While a trained musician may be restricted to what he or she can do due to their knowlege of musical theory, an untrained musician is certainly restricted due to their lack of knowledge of musical theory.

Basicly If you know the rules, you know how to break them better.
So by genralising and saying that a trained musician is restricted to the confines of his or her theoretical knowledge can be true for some however, the "virtuoso's" with a radical minset are far better equipped to challenge the foundations of musical theory purely because they have an intricate understaing of the theroy itself.

If i can throw out a hypothetical and say that a Revolutionary Marxist is far better equipped to smash Capitalisim than a Leftist with Reformist views.

Just because the Marxist has a more intrticate understanding of Capitalism than the reformist doesnt mean he is more confined by it. Quite the contrary, it is ONLY through the Marxist's studies in the theory of Capital that the Comrade understands how to break down the rules and challenge the system.

westernsynthetics

Post by westernsynthetics » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:16 am

any cats care to refute/agree with my contribution?

atealtha

Post by atealtha » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:42 am

westernsynthetics wrote:Basicly If you know the rules, you know how to break them better.
So by genralising and saying that a trained musician is restricted to the confines of his or her theoretical knowledge can be true for some however, the "virtuoso's" with a radical minset are far better equipped to challenge the foundations of musical theory purely because they have an intricate understaing of the theroy itself.
Co-sign 1000%.

It's not like the non-trained ones are always breaking new ground either. They just take more time for tunes which might fall into these rules anyway.

jaggi

Post by jaggi » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:50 am

i agree that some people can be overly consumed with theory, and lose sight of inspiration... they will make better professors than innovative musicians.