Who Still Buys Vinyl?

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
User avatar
smokeybeenz
Posts: 969
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:50 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by smokeybeenz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:47 pm

i buy most good tunes imo on vinyl they just sound better in my opnion like the author album i have digital and vinyl, the vinyl just sound so much better organic like. It will always be about having physical music though just so much fun and addictive as shit
http://www.mixcloud.com/LFSRadio/lfs-radio/
"but where is it written that all our dreams must be small ones"
Benjyc & Retina on chatrooms
AIM:retinaproductions

c03
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by c03 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:18 am

cant afford serato at the mo so im still buying vinyl. like someone said when you don't have a lot of cash it just raises your quality control, if you only buy 3 records a month they are going to be amazing and you will know the tunes inside out!

i respect the fact a few labels only release on vinyl, but having lived abroad for a couple of years where i was buying digital and burning to cd for gigs it was pretty annoying wanting to support the music and play it out but having no option of buying it...

sparkinjays
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by sparkinjays » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:08 am

Started collecting vinyl about 7 months ago after dicking around with traktor for a year. I have always been into collecting/hoarding things so I figured why not collect one of the few things I truly love, music. It is addicting and hard to keep up with as a broke student, but I love my collection and hope it keeps growing. So much more gratifying to myself when I get a good vinyl mix going. I have been thinking of adding serato or traktor into the mix so I can spin digital exclusives.

scspkr99
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by scspkr99 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:27 am

Be-1ne wrote:If its worth buying it's on vinyl! Only came across one digital only release I was miffed didn't get a vinyl release ever.

I had a 6 month emusic subscriptions a present last xmas, and to be totally honest Id be hard pushed to remember even a fraction of what I bought from there or where it is. I have a closet full of records and know where every record I ever bought is In amongst the piles.

Horses for course but to me hand on heart, digital is crap and sounds bloody awful on anything than a phone or iPod.
But I like your digital releases?

Anyway digital is way more likely to sound bloody awful on a phone or ipod than it is for those that invest in getting more out of it.

I get why people love vinyl I really I do, I have a kindle but still buy books I get wanting the physical object but I also understand that most music I listen to doesn't sound worse because it's digital in the same way a book doesn't read worse because I'm reading it on a kindle rather than having paper.

User avatar
garethom
Posts: 13426
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:55 pm
Location: Birmz
Contact:

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by garethom » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:21 am

I spend the vast majority of my expendable income on vinyl. Don't regret a single piece I've bought.

User avatar
wizeguy
Posts: 1419
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: South East UK

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by wizeguy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 am

i've only ever bought Vinyl and intend to keep it that way

User avatar
koncide
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:08 pm
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by koncide » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:35 am

Vinyl has that quality which you don't get with pure digital or even CD. Perhaps because you have to take such good care of them or they'll fall to shit makes you respect them a lot more.
Melodic deepness from my mind.

Soundcloud

Future garage, free DL.

Soundcloud

https://twitter.com/Koncide
https://www.facebook.com/Koncide

User avatar
Trifficspurs
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by Trifficspurs » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:50 am

Always been a vinyl man, inherited about 300+ Jungle / DnB plates from my brother, which got me into mixing....
Now i just play Dubstep and mainly dungeon.

I'm just about to buy Serato Scratch Live though, as you can still mix Vinyl, but with all the benefits of downloading any song you want.
£450 is a little steep for a box and two time coded vinyls though....
http://www.mixcloud.com/jaketeagle/may-2012-explorations-in-bass/

User avatar
bass_culture
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by bass_culture » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:14 pm

This thread makes me happy! :D
DJM Bass Music Minimix April 2012 - Strictly Vinyl & Acetate
Soundcloud
Latest USTREAM Session: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/21100864
particle-jim wrote:What sort of soulless cunt eats a burger without a bun? It's a fucking travesty I say!

hendramarshall
Posts: 2074
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Allston, MA

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by hendramarshall » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:17 pm

im addicted to the black crack
"There is a lot of tension in the music that carries a satisfactory darkness with it, but it's also lazy music. You don't have to dance hard to move with it. It was born with a reefer in it's gob."
― Pinch

Grime + Weird Stuff (Summer 2014):
Soundcloud
twitter: @lindaledj

User avatar
untightled
Posts: 1512
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:50 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by untightled » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:19 pm

hendramarshall wrote:im addicted to the black crack
:z:
alex bk-bk wrote:its not an ep its 1 track

User avatar
robsteppin
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Medway KENT
Contact:

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by robsteppin » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:25 pm

If it weren't for vinyl i wouldnt be djing.

All of the music i liked before i got into dubstep was available digitally so i was only interested in having to listen to, mates were into mixing dnb where as i just wanted it on the ipod or in the car. As soon as i got into dubstep and started searching for tunes the only format i could find back then was vinyl so i used to buy it and take it to a mates house to listen to on his decks which eventually got me into mixing it.

Since then i have had a whole new appreciation of music because now its a physical thing its more than just a file in a folder. Theres so much excitment when buying vinyl aswell whether you go to a shop and ask for the new white labels or you're ordering online and the wait for tunes to arrive, it makes their delivery that little bit special, its like buying yourself a present every time you want a tune.

User avatar
JBoy
Posts: 2489
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:51 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by JBoy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:27 pm

I think buying vinyl encourages you to care more about the music youre purchasing. How boring is a couple of WAV files on a hard drive when you could have a record that has had care and attention put into it, from the sleeve down to the record itself.

scspkr99
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by scspkr99 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:31 pm

How about considering the sounds in your ears as music rather than the actual source?

User avatar
JBoy
Posts: 2489
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:51 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by JBoy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:33 pm

scspkr99 wrote:How about considering the sounds in your ears as music rather than the actual source?
Vinyl sounds better than any other format, anyone could tell you that. So if im interested in the sounds in my ears, id rather have them sounding the best they can.

pearsall
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 6:09 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by pearsall » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:45 pm

I still buy only vinyl after 16 years of buying tunes - I like the aesthetics of vinyl and the collection aspect. I don't have any moral objection to digital per se, but since I'm a dad I can't really justify spending that much on vinyl these days compared to what I once did, so it wouldn't really be cost effective for me to buy a Serato set-up (even though it looks pretty cool), and in any case I'm pretty happy with my record collection.
Mala tribute business:
Soundcloud

scspkr99
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by scspkr99 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:17 pm

JBoy wrote:
scspkr99 wrote:How about considering the sounds in your ears as music rather than the actual source?
Vinyl sounds better than any other format, anyone could tell you that. So if im interested in the sounds in my ears, id rather have them sounding the best they can.
Anyone would usually be wrong though.

messsingh
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:43 pm

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by messsingh » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Vinyl (apart from when I get hold of a CD on the cheap for my car). In no particular order:

1. Prefer the feel and like the art work
2. I work with a PC all day so the last thing I want to do is look at another screen (that also includes television)
3. Older releases aren't available digitally
4. Vinyl can increase in price (or go down / becoming worthless) but over the years I would like to think I could still get some cash for it is if I feel on hard times.
5. Nothing sounds better than a properly mastered tune on vinyl. (Plus I get less ear fatigue as digital can start to grate the senses after a few hours).
6. Seems to be easier to relate nights out with particular tunes or purchases (bit of a weird one I know). This only tends to apply to record shop purchases not online orders.
7. The whole record shopping experience where you visit various shops, talk to the staff / punters, get handed or hear certain tunes, bump into mates, listen to random record etc. Have someone to speak to when you are looking for something particular or the fact you saw them out the night before and they might happen to know the tune X DJ dropped last, made the crowd go mental, had a certain unique vibe etc. (Hard to explain)
8. Something I can pass onto someone which is why my fathers records now form part of my collection. (I guess you could pass on a hardrive but to me that just isn't the same)
9. Quality control is normally higher and mixdowns better as it costs tangible sums of money to get to the end product.
10. Knowing that you have a tune that only a set number of people in the world own. Not to be confused with dubplate culture or trying to be exculsive.
11. Very untangible but the whole bass culture, care, love and attention. I have never seen someone get exicited looking through someones itunes collection but certain people seem to love going through records. It seems to give you a sense about what a person is into and what influences they have. Always nice to check a mates collection and find something you were surprised they were into.

Blah blah blah

Jazz

User avatar
JBoy
Posts: 2489
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:51 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by JBoy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:38 pm

scspkr99 wrote:
JBoy wrote:
scspkr99 wrote:How about considering the sounds in your ears as music rather than the actual source?
Vinyl sounds better than any other format, anyone could tell you that. So if im interested in the sounds in my ears, id rather have them sounding the best they can.
Anyone would usually be wrong though.
LOL how could they be wrong, not to bring up the same debate again but vinyl is the highest quality music format. Its not opinion, its fact.

scspkr99
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

Re: Who Still Buys Vinyl?

Post by scspkr99 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:52 pm

it's not fact at all in fact it's largely bollocks

like I have massive respect for those that have the time and money to invest in vinyl and I understand why people love it I get the feel of it and whatever but this idea that vinyl inherently sounds better than digital is kinda lacking.

If most of the music in your collection is produced rather than recorded then it will have existed as nothing more than series of 1&0 and so will go through the same process to be cut to vinyl as it will to be played through speakers or headphones. It will be converted from a digital signal to an analogue output. Now obviously there is mastering to consider but digital tunes can be mastered as well and while CD's are limited to 16b 44.1k ranges that's not true of digital music merely the CD format.

If it is possible to improve the sound of a music format by improving the components in between the music source and the receptors it suggests at least that it is not just the source thats responsible for quality. Hence the number of posts here about headphones and speakers.

It's an old argument and one I've no real interest in outside of wishing people could push what they like because they like it without having to resort to promoting something at the expense of something else.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 76 guests