Dubstep/Loss of inspiration

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
Dj Rephlex

Dubstep/Loss of inspiration

Post by Dj Rephlex » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:21 am

Everyone starts producing dubstep for a reason . Not only do you like the sound but you have some kind of an inspiration . Every producer has points where they loose inspiration . This is the first time I've hit a point like this . Anyone else that has been in this spot , tell me how to get my inspiration back please ? <3

Undrig

Re: Dubstep/Loss of inspiration

Post by Undrig » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:42 am

stop listening to dubstep
Sine Language Sessions - Sub FM | Every Sunday 10pm-12am EST
http://sub.fm/undrig

Soundcloud

Dj Rephlex

Post by Dj Rephlex » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:44 am

Get my inspiration back , not terminate it competely ....

baseband

Post by baseband » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:02 am

Undrig wrote:stop listening to dubstep
probably the best advice for this situation actually. go buy a handful of random 12"s from the bargain bin at your local record store and tune your ears in tightly

Maccaveli

Post by Maccaveli » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:27 am

A good technique I use is to start off trying to copy a tune you like, then once you've laid the foundations change it up and let it take on a life of its own

Dj Rephlex

Post by Dj Rephlex » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:31 am

Maccaveli wrote:A good technique I use is to start off trying to copy a tune you like, then once you've laid the foundations change it up and let it take on a life of its own
Thank you for an actual anwser ! I will surely try this .

hudson

Post by hudson » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:51 am

Dj Rephlex wrote:
Maccaveli wrote:A good technique I use is to start off trying to copy a tune you like, then once you've laid the foundations change it up and let it take on a life of its own
Thank you for an actual anwser ! I will surely try this .
"Stop listening to Dubstep" is an actual answer, dude. Take your self out of it for a while, listen to stuff you normally wouldn't for a few days, let it sit in the creative part of your brain, then make a song with all these new sounds and ideas buzzing around in your head. Losing inspiration usually means you haven't been pushing yourself or doing anything new. Forgetting about dubstep for a while could help you.

Dj Rephlex

Post by Dj Rephlex » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:54 am

90% of my problem is also , making my music more "interesting" with effects , effect blending , etc... Are there any guides on how to make your music more interesting ? I can't find any .

tge

Post by tge » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:07 am

Taking a break from dubstep is a legitimate answer. Taking inspiration from other types of music is one way to bring something totally unique into the scene. I took a break myself about a year ago and spent a lot of time floating around the Witch House and Chillwave scenes, from my time with that I came back with a boat load of ideas and motivation for making my own take on dubstep.

Also "Interesting" is relative to taste. I myself like classic tunes because the producers don't have effects-ADD, I don't mind simple, clever beats and humble song structures, but that's just me. The tired motto of "Making what you want to make, not what others want to hear" holds true, as cliché as it may be. If I'm not making music for myself, I'm not enjoying the process of creation :?

Dj Rephlex

Post by Dj Rephlex » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:14 am

tge wrote:Taking a break from dubstep is a legitimate answer. Taking inspiration from other types of music is one way to bring something totally unique into the scene. I took a break myself about a year ago and spent a lot of time floating around the Witch House and Chillwave scenes, from my time with that I came back with a boat load of ideas and motivation for making my own take on dubstep.

Also "Interesting" is relative to taste. I myself like classic tunes because the producers don't have effects-ADD, I don't mind simple, clever beats and humble song structures, but that's just me. The tired motto of "Making what you want to make, not what others want to hear" holds true, as cliché as it may be. If I'm not making music for myself, I'm not enjoying the process of creation :?
Very true . I've been going for the Datsik like feel , grimy as fuck , simple , but also putting effects to a creative use . Are there any good artist(s) that have the grime/feel of datsik without the robo effects ?

Maccaveli

Post by Maccaveli » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:17 am

Dj Rephlex

Post by Dj Rephlex » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:21 am

That's fucking raw <3

wolf89

Post by wolf89 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:39 am

listen to old grime records, metal and dark techno.

Then try think about how to bring those sounds into what you're doing

(sorry that's just my tactic though. haha)
http://twitter.com/Wolfthedj
sofa_king wrote:wolf89 has a massive cock.

capo ultra

Post by capo ultra » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:00 am

listening to one genre of music = sure way of losing inspiration
what is of value and wisdom for one man seems nonsense to another.

Sonika

Post by Sonika » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:22 am

Dj Rephlex wrote:
tge wrote:Taking a break from dubstep is a legitimate answer. Taking inspiration from other types of music is one way to bring something totally unique into the scene. I took a break myself about a year ago and spent a lot of time floating around the Witch House and Chillwave scenes, from my time with that I came back with a boat load of ideas and motivation for making my own take on dubstep.

Very true . I've been going for the Datsik like feel , grimy as fuck , simple , but also putting effects to a creative use . Are there any good artist(s) that have the grime/feel of datsik without the robo effects ?
2 awesome artists that will give you that feel:

Distance

Vex'd

Also, Distance

"The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving."
-Waking Life

follow me
friend me

Pistonsbeneath

Post by Pistonsbeneath » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:49 am

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Grime/release/264005
http://www.discogs.com/label/Rephlex

.......In 2004, Richard James' label, Rephlex, released two compilations that included dubstep tracks - the (perhaps misnamed) Grime and Grime 2. The first featured Plasticman, Mark One and Slaughter Mob,[38] with Kode 9, Loefah and Digital Mystikz appearing on the second.[39] These compilations helped to raise awareness of dubstep at a time when the grime sound was drawing more attention,[24] and Digital Mystikz and Loefah's presence on the second release contributed to the success of their DMZ club night.[40] Soon afterwards, the Independent on Sunday commented on "a whole new sound", at a time when both genres were becoming popular, stating that "grime" and "dubstep" were two names for the same style, which was also known as "sublow", "8-bar" and "eskibeat"...........

were you aware of what rephlex was when you took the name?

also DJ Rephlex Records was the alias of richard james
http://www.mixcloud.com/garethom/night-tracks-040-pistonsbeneath-guest-mix/

Soundcloud

BUY PISTONSBENEATH 24TH CENTURY EP CDS & DIGITAL

THREAD FOR MY GETDARKER SETS W/ YOUTUBE LINKS, ITUNES & DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINKS

SCA MIX

HEDMUK MIX

bookings - verity at subcultureartists.com

skimpi

Post by skimpi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Well this dude was trolling in SNH the other day, so it probably is richard himself hahah
TopManLurka wrote: thanks for confirming
OiOiii #BELTER

pdomino

Post by pdomino » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Dj Rephlex wrote:Get my inspiration back , not terminate it competely ....
Srsly the best advice anyone can give you. Havn't bothered making anything for a couple years, now things are dfrnt ;)

Durag

Post by Durag » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Yeah, stop listening to dubstep for a while. I dunno what other genres you listen to / listened to before dubstep came along (i hope you do listen to others...), but you really should listen to the advice listed above.

wobbles

Post by wobbles » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:14 pm

capo ultra wrote:listening to one genre of music = sure way of losing inspiration