Do ya think giving yr tunes away for free de-values them?

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
enzyme

Post by enzyme » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:32 pm

I was always under the impression that you give away tunes to raise your profile and get your unsigned tunes heard. Then further down the road when you've got an established name and sound, it would be a lot easier to get signed and release some vinyl.

Just like sellin crack--the first one's always free. You get the $$$ when they're hooked and come back for more.
Enzyme - On A Hype Vol. 2 (Oct. 07)
http://files.filefront.com/8845564
Enzyme, Subtek, & Jamin Live @ Grime City 4/20
http://files.filefront.com/7430188
http://www.myspace.com/benzyme

man-versus-sofa

Post by man-versus-sofa » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:32 pm

rekorder wrote: i completely agree, i think what most ppl have said here is that 1 or 2 to ppl who are gona play them on the radio or at shows, or just have been supporting u, then thats cool. but giving away links publicly on a forum such as this one devalues it.
no way!!! letting fans have something for free aint bad

like a thank you

40 year old man from kent

Post by 40 year old man from kent » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:55 pm

" i dunno mate, there is definatly some sort of physcology/sociology behind it. "

Absolutely. The different " modes " of distribution of music ( online, offline, free 320's, streamed music, pay per download, etc. ) have a direct influence on how dubstep pieces are received. Aesthetics of reception of music in the digital age meets dubstep.

And...

If you adopt the listener's point of view, which is necessarily limited, if you only think " short term " ( if you only think about the sum of " pleasure " that a piece can grant you and refuse to consider the long term effects that this practice will have in the aesthetic realm ), then, yes, free tracks are a good thing.

abZ

Post by abZ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:45 pm

Didn't read the whole thread but my look on it is, I just want the tunes to be out there and get heard... so +1 for the good promotion. I have heard that dubstep mp3's don't sell well. Is that true? I haven't sold any yet myself. Seriously I am not in this for the money. I would rather give 'em out on here and kick back and wait for the mixes to roll in. I think some of my tunes have got more play than a lot of released tunes. It makes me smile. I'm going the AIM route now with the hopes of getting a vinyl release but as far as selling digital I don't know if it is really worth it.

rekordah

Post by rekordah » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:54 pm

man-versus-sofa wrote: no way!!! letting fans have something for free aint bad

like a thank you
when i say "giving away links publicly" i mean at start of thread posting the link for all who visit this site to see and download.

i got nothing against PMing ppl who have expressed a fondness for ur productions a link to download ur track, i do it myself all the time, i just think that if u post the link on the thread for everyone and anyone to see then it does do something to devalue your music. with the exception (like it has said b4 in this thread) of tracks that use non-legit samples, then the more ppl hearing it the merrier.
19th October - Jahtari Presents Tapes EP Launch Party @ Gramaphone, London w/ Tapes, Clause Four & International Observer.
23rd October - Galway, Ireland.
31st October - UFO @ Dojo, Bristol w/ Dema.

http://www.myspace.com/rekorder87

abZ

Post by abZ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:49 pm

To get right to the point. If you give your tune away for free to everyone then technically it has no value. If thats all were talking about here. But who cares what a tunes "worth" is unless your a vinyl collector or something.

Now to put another spin on it. If you put up your tune for free to everyone for a limited period of time and folks are diggin it. It may actually increase the value, no? I have seen many cases on this site where the tune was given out as a free 320 and yet still been signed. So that issue is not black and white.

rekordah

Post by rekordah » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:58 pm

abZ wrote: Now to put another spin on it. If you put up your tune for free to everyone for a limited period of time and folks are diggin it. It may actually increase the value, no?
yeh this is definatly a good idea, it can be used by record labels to kind of "test the water" and see whather ppl are feeling it.

stones throw recently put Chrome Children Vol.2 up for free for a limited amount of time (bagged :D ) and now it is instores as a CD. they did the same with Madlib and Talibs album which is now on viynl and CD release.
and i can imagine that it helps alot for the risk assessment of putting these records out.
19th October - Jahtari Presents Tapes EP Launch Party @ Gramaphone, London w/ Tapes, Clause Four & International Observer.
23rd October - Galway, Ireland.
31st October - UFO @ Dojo, Bristol w/ Dema.

http://www.myspace.com/rekorder87

rjv

Post by rjv » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:14 pm

music is for listening, not for burying it to the depths of few selected peoples hard drives.

there are many netlabels releasing quality music for FREE OMG. that doesn't make the music less amazing.
TAKOMO [Audiogore, Urban Graffiti, Destructive]
TRISECTOR [Med School]

vonboyage

Post by vonboyage » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:22 pm

Enzyme wrote:I was always under the impression that you give away tunes to raise your profile and get your unsigned tunes heard. Then further down the road when you've got an established name and sound, it would be a lot easier to get signed and release some vinyl.
What u said!
Origininja

guerillaeye

Post by guerillaeye » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:24 pm

abZ wrote:I have seen many cases on this site where the tune was given out as a free 320 and yet still been signed. So that issue is not black and white.
Vista : Special request / Gameboy dub / The mass - 3.5 Records, HENRY 003 ????

wasnt that one available for 320 at one point? damn fun tune!!!! free or not.

south3rn

Post by south3rn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:53 pm

Enzyme wrote:I was always under the impression that you give away tunes to raise your profile and get your unsigned tunes heard. Then further down the road when you've got an established name and sound, it would be a lot easier to get signed and release some vinyl.

Just like sellin crack--the first one's always free. You get the $$$ when they're hooked and come back for more.
that's kinda the mentality we had when we first got together and started making tunes. but then our very first tune got signed, so it all kinda worked out, hahaha.

but on the topic, i think it's silly to just post links to every tune you have, but i think there have only been 2 or 3 complete, high quality tunes posted for free on this forum that i have enjoyed enough to play. if you think the tune's good enough to post publicly, it should good enough to shop around for a label. best way to get your tunes heard now seems to be to send em to SubFM DJs. they seem a little more accessible than some other :wink: stations' DJs

whut

Post by whut » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:26 am

I downloaded bowzer and Pandemic - 'Bass Face' from the dubs section and I value that more than most tunes that I have purchased recently.

haridas

Post by haridas » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:10 pm

theres a big difference between music as an industry and just music.
i strongly believe that vinyls and live music are the only formats music
lovers should have to pay for, but thats just my opinion

incyde

Post by incyde » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:09 pm

South3rn wrote: best way to get your tunes heard now seems to be to send em to SubFM DJs. they seem a little more accessible than some other :wink: stations' DJs
dont u know it!

8)
Dub War Podcast 11
Hotflush Podcast 01
Blog
Myspace
Live every other Weds 7-9pm EST on Sub.FM