Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Dubstep becoming too dark and masculine?

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows

Postby vonboyage » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:08 pm

Bob Crunkhouse wrote:
5th October - Square Roots @ Synergy - SE1, London

- Various Production
- Digital Mystikz (Coki)
- Boxcutter
- Pinch
- Ital Tek
- Shook
- Nagual
- SQR DJ's

:P: :P: :P:
Origininja
vonboyage

Postby gremino » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:12 pm

I've been reading this forum for about over a year now, so maybe it's finally time to post my own opinions too...

Corpsey wrote:Unfortunately (or fortunately perhaps, depending how you look at it), it seems that dubstep outside of the standard wobble rinse out stuff has begun to be seen as 'leftfield' within the scene and so nights that cater for deeper stuff have become leftfield nights- which means small venues and lower turnouts. Which is basically how it is in DNB too- experimental stuff and a wide variation of styles have become sidelined and margianlised within the wider scene.

I think it's also a matter of principle you don't call foward thinking dubstep leftfield, because wasn't that the original approach off this genre? Though in other hand using the leftfield term could help promote it to the right crowd. I don't consider myself as a 100% dubstep fan, so as I said about the matter of principle I understand if the from-the-day-oners want to keep the original attitude alive. Though i've always liked 2step, so when i got to know that this genre was evolved from it I was interested. That's maybe one of the reasons why i read this forum almost every day :)

What is kinda ironic, is that dnb converts (yes i also used to listen dnb regularly) make these tunes what sounds like full on dnb at slower tempo and with a halfstep beat, when wasn't this stuff supposed to be that which got them turn to dubstep in a first place! Though how many ex dnb heads really make this kind of stuff?
gremino

Postby djshiva » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:34 pm

Chef wrote:EZ all.

To anyone that thinks Dubstep is just pure dark and aggressive then you need to open your ears because your missing out on a lot of Dubstep that isn't.

There's loads more different sounds in Dubstep than ever, it's up to you to find the music, Artist, DJ, sets or whatever that suits you.

Some people only like the dubby stuff, some people only like the techy or electro side of things, some people love just wobble, some people love the halfstep stuff more than the upbeat stuff, it's all about preference and background.

For me variety is the key and I like to play right across the board, a journey of the all the styles and flavours.
2 hours of wobble is just as bad as hearing 2 hours of plod, sometimes it isn't even about the tunes played but how they are played. Just the way that tunes are played and mixed can make it so much more interesting.

I'm happy to play Skream, Peverlist, Silkie, Toasty Boy, Conquest, Benga, Coki, Mala, Loefah, LD, Loefah, Distance etc etc in the same set but obviously I aint gonna play Infinity is now by Peverlist next to Spongebob by Coki, you just gotta know your tunes.

:z:
djshiva

Postby thesynthesist » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:31 pm

pete bubonic wrote:IMHO you are are one of the few big name dj's I still follow, since your first set in Bristol (Dubloaded?) where you played a lot more Grime through to your current sets on Rinse where you seem to draw a lot more on the techno influence (like Peverelist). But don't you think you are a very small minority? I go to plenty of dubstep & grime raves in Bristol and London and the dubstep sets are getting that monotonous and tired. Your average big dj doesn't want to know about the 'leftfield' (agree with Corpsey 100%) stuff! Believe me, I know first hand there a huge range of stuff out there, from Ruckspin & Quark, Deim, Peverelist, Boxcutter, Forsaken, Toasty, S&D, SLT, Mala, Protocol X, Eleven Tigers, Joker, Gemmy, Rusko and Martyn! But the reality is, in the clubs, we are hearing the standard loefah vs. skream copycat wobble rinseouts, dj's sticking to the bangers and no longer really experimenting and taking the sound into new places like Youngsta used to. I dunno, maybe it's different in the heart of Croydon Chef, maybe you're surrounded by bare variety, but this is what it's like for a lot of people who are attending the raves regularly.

I mean, at the end of the day, if all the dj spins is club bangers, then its him who will look like an uncultured, radio-listening fool.

I remember the day when a dj was judged on selection, not how many bass rockers he dropped... Oh wait, thats today...

Girly, manly, masculine, feminine... who cares really, if the dj doesnt have a vision of a) dubstep as a whole or b) how to play a musical set...

Its a matter of taste, and rolling up and dropping hit after hit, is on par with spinning britney spears tunes to 13 year olds. Tasteless.
thesynthesist

Postby slothrop » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:57 pm

gremino wrote:What is kinda ironic, is that dnb converts (yes i also used to listen dnb regularly) make these tunes what sounds like full on dnb at slower tempo and with a halfstep beat, when wasn't this stuff supposed to be that which got them turn to dubstep in a first place! Though how many ex dnb heads really make this kind of stuff?

Yeah, funny old world, innit.

I really hoped more people might take on board some of what's good about dubstep and start making sub heavy, dubby, atmospheric DnB again.
slothrop

Postby diss04 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:18 am

and in a shameless plug i promote my chillout dubstep mix! http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27177
Parson wrote:...and then God said unto Eve, "Have some of that, slag."
diss04

Postby monkeytek » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:34 pm

out in the street they call it "dudestep".
Tapes man at pdxindub.
Records man at zamzam sounds

http://www.pdxindub.com
monkeytek

Postby dubluke » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:54 pm

yeah i gotta say that if i had to choose between the dark bassy popular tunes and the more dubby tunes with a nice vibe to them i'd have to choose the latter, i think too much emphasis is being placed on getting the deepest bass possible and thats part of the formula that dnb was getting into that people got sick of...
dubluke

anyplace that would provide good shelter during a zombie invasion

Postby topi » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:09 pm

I think alot of it depends where you are.

So far, my favorite dubstep experiences are small dark rooms with not a huge turnout, and really deep deep evil dark tunes. I like getting lost in it and feeling the bass. I find myself grinning bigstyle to that.
But at the same time, if I go out to a set with more people, in a more lively venue - it's cool to have something a bit more light to just kick back and bounce about more.

I guess the ideal night would have it all, and set different atmospheres through-out the night.

At the end of the day, I love it and try to go to everything I can :lol:
The time for talking has ended Carl. The time for pissing.. has begun
topi

Postby dubstepper » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:04 pm

To be honest i think this thread has gone way too far, Dubstep is by no means becoming too masculine and thats a fact. I mean ye there is a lot of tunes with alot of Bass lots of Wobbles And lots of darkness, tunes such as I Dont Give A Dub, Caspa-Rusko Custard Chucker, Sponge Bob, Sensi Dub, The Legacy, Badman dub, n you got Cyrus with his dark mystical styles plus loads more, but you allso have nice tunes with happy mellow floaty vibes such as Orien Mexican wave + A distant place then theres D1 Mind and Soul you have Mala's Alicia, Tes La Rok's Around The World Girls, Caspa's Moments Of Love Amp Fiddle If I Don't Quest Forever and so much more, now some1 tell me any1 of them tunes that are masculine or Dark?? None are. Me myself i love all kinds of DubStep from Quest Forever to Sponge bob. Like what Chef said theres plenty of diversity in DubStep you just gotta know what to look for, n if you dont know then GET TO KNOW!! But please people stop fucking moaning, yes theres plenty of darkness aggresion and Wobbles in DubStep and theres alot of the complete oppersite. So in conclusion i say if you dont like Dark Masculine kinda tunes then dont listen to them, n if you feel DJ'S are playing too much of it simply don't listen to them either. On a better lighter note i got Rusko's Double pack Skeng and few more bangers in the post :D n ye i pre ordered my copy of Night Benga n Coki. So if you hear the sound of a Pigeon getting raped comin from my house any time after the 5th of OCTOBER dont call the police, Nights has simply arrived hahahahaha Brap ..... :D dooooo dooooo dooooo dooooo doooooo 8)
dubstepper

Postby dubstepper » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:36 am

[quote="Dubstepper"]To be honest i think this thread has gone way too far, Dubstep is by no means becoming too masculine and thats a fact. I mean ye there is a lot of tunes with alot of Bass lots of Wobbles And lots of darkness, tunes such as I Dont Give A Dub, Caspa-Rusko Custard Chucker, Sponge Bob, Sensi Dub, The Legacy, Badman dub, n you got Cyrus with his dark mystical styles plus loads more, but you allso have nice tunes with happy mellow floaty vibes such as Orien Mexican wave + A distant place then theres D1 Mind and Soul you have Mala's Alicia, Tes La Rok's Around The World Girls, Caspa's Moments Of Love Amp Fiddle If I Don't Quest Forever and so much more, now some1 tell me any1 of them tunes that are masculine or Dark?? None are. Me myself i love all kinds of DubStep from Quest Forever to Sponge bob. Like what Chef said theres plenty of diversity in DubStep you just gotta know what to look for, n if you dont know then GET TO KNOW!! But please people stop fucking moaning, yes theres plenty of darkness aggresion and Wobbles in DubStep and theres alot of the complete oppersite. So in conclusion i say if you dont like Dark Masculine kinda tunes then dont listen to them, n if you feel DJ'S are playing too much of it simply don't listen to them either. On a better lighter note i got Rusko's Double pack Skeng and few more bangers in the post :D n ye i pre ordered my copy of Night Benga n Coki. So if you hear the sound of a Pigeon getting raped comin from my house any time after the 5th of OCTOBER dont call the police, Nights has simply arrived hahahahaha Brap ..... :D dooooo dooooo dooooo dooooo doooooo 8)[/quote\]
PS.. Sorry i jus could not resist using the Pigeon gettin raped joke, but after reading in another thread some1 saying thats what Night sounds like just cracked me up too much. But i don't think it does to be honest. I mean what does a pigeon getting raped sound like? Dought or hope i dont get the answer hahahah.. i swear its bed time for me :lol:
dubstepper

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
Previous

Return to General Discussion