Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Dubstep becoming too dark and masculine?

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows

Postby fushimi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:49 am

thesynthesist wrote:not some flowery, little japanese girl with a Hello Kitty purse.

Fuck that shit.

Big up the racist crew!
fushimi

Postby selector.dub.u » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:57 am

Shonky wrote:
thesynthesist wrote:Just to bring it all back to the thread topic...

My thought is, Dubstep is for non-bitches.

That probably means only hardcore chicks are gonna like it...

And hardcore dudes...

Funny, cause I've generally found that the people into really extreme hardcore music are generally fairly peaceful, nerdy types and those going out to chart house nights are usually the ones most likely to be sticking a glass in each others faces come pub closing.

It's supposed to be art/entertainment, not an endurance test :roll:

for that you have to do 1,000 push ups .. THAT GOES FOR BOTH OF YOU.
j/k shonky is exempt-- the synthesist isn't.

:lol:
Last edited by selector.dub.u on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roundabout Sounds
Soundcloud
selector.dub.u

Postby djshiva » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:02 am

And hardcore dudes...

Tough, gritty people in general...

And thats why it exists, cuz people want a lot of gritty grimey shit.

not some flowery, little japanese girl with a Hello Kitty purse.

Fuck that shit.

perhaps part of the reason that harder dubstep may be referred to as "masculine" is idiocy like this post.

and while i like a variety of flavors in my music, from deep and dubby to all-out in your face destruction, this "bitch" is underwhelmed by your sexist pap.

go stick your dick in a bassbin and leave the rest of us out of your wankery, thanks.
djshiva

Postby *decibella~~ » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:19 am

Sapphic your are a ledgend :D :lol:

x x x

ps - it was my mates birthday this weekend, big gang of girls and a few guys went to Best of British, which had a dubstep room on the terrace outside......for like 2 years i been on at all these people, dubstep this and dubstep that, but they have never experienced actually hearing it live on a system, and they all loved it! I felt very proud on Saturday, all my mates were asking me loads of questions about it, and were shocked themselves at how much they loved it .... deffo converted a fair few!

this thread is pure waste, sorry, i really do not get what you're getting at?!!!?!??!? Dubstep as a genre is such a diverse and varied music, with a muddle of light, to dark tunes, and all those inbetween, its a bass heavy music, sub driven, so im assuming thats the only reason why you've made such a comment, but dark and masculine ... puuuurllllease!

x x x
Last edited by *decibella~~ on Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*........DuBsTePpiN........*
http://www.myspace.com/decibellauk
*decibella~~

Postby shonky » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:31 am

sapphic_beats wrote:go stick your dick in a bassbin and leave the rest of us out of your wankery, thanks.

You put it so succinctly Shiva :D
Hmm....

shonky

Postby staas » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:22 pm

Dubstepper wrote:But i love Dark tunes like Goth trads Deep Medi, Caspa/Rusko Custard Chucker, I dont give a dub and such. The Bass the Wobbles are sick.

i don't really consider those dark tunes,the goth trad ep on skud was dark tunes but i don't get that vibe from his deep medi release at all imo
staas

Postby numaestro » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:05 pm

Shonky wrote:
delsa wrote:didn't everyone say the same shit about the dominance of half step a yer or so ago, and that sorted itself out, the musics out there as you know.

Oh come on, it's still mostly halfstep though isn't it. For all the talk of more techno influence and the return of 2 step, this hasn't translated into what's actually getting released with a few exceptions.

Why don't you make some then? Or start a label and put some out? :wink: If you feel so strongly - do it. Respect.
23Hz Presents Migrant LP now available on CORSARIO DIGITAL. "Tropicalia" by NEHUEN now available on CORSARIO DIGITAL

http://www.myspace.com/corsarioriddim
http://www.myspace.com/iberianrecords
numaestro

Postby metalboxproducts » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:07 pm

numaestro wrote:
Shonky wrote:
delsa wrote:didn't everyone say the same shit about the dominance of half step a yer or so ago, and that sorted itself out, the musics out there as you know.

Oh come on, it's still mostly halfstep though isn't it. For all the talk of more techno influence and the return of 2 step, this hasn't translated into what's actually getting released with a few exceptions.

Why don't you make some then? Or start a label and put some out? :wink: If you feel so strongly - do it. Respect.

he makes tracks though. pretty good as well. Suprised they haven't been picked up.
magma wrote: I must fellate you instantly."?

Close The Door available here vvvvvvvv
http://www.digital-tunes.net/labels/metalbox
http://www.myspace.com/metalboxproducts
every thursday 10-12 gmt
metalboxproducts

Postby metalboxproducts » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:13 pm

sorry what have cactus got to do with dubstep?

every thursday 10-12 gmt
metalboxproducts

Postby numaestro » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:20 pm

metalboxproducts wrote:
numaestro wrote:
Shonky wrote:

he makes tracks though. pretty good as well. Suprised they haven't been picked up.

Cool - I'm all ears. Always interested in hearing new and original ideas!
The 2-step tip is difficult - to try and get something fresh out of it and also you are competing with an enormous legacy - very hard for a newcomer producer to get anywhere near El-b or Horsepower. Be like trying to mark Ronaldinho and Henri :lol: :lol:
23Hz Presents Migrant LP now available on CORSARIO DIGITAL. "Tropicalia" by NEHUEN now available on CORSARIO DIGITAL

http://www.myspace.com/corsarioriddim
http://www.myspace.com/iberianrecords
numaestro

Postby threnody » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:21 pm

metalboxproducts wrote:
numaestro wrote:
Shonky wrote:

Shonly = Master producer!! Sick swung sounds....
To book for a live/DJ please email threnody@threnody.co.uk

Releases on:-
Big Dada / Slime / Red Volume / Creative Space / Urban Graffiti / Dubkraft / Rottun / Combat / UK Trends / L2S / Furioso / Yellow Machines

http://www.threnody.co.uk
http://www.uktrendsmusic.co.uk

SUB FM - Thursday Night 10pm-12am
threnody
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Postby spooKs » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:32 pm

Shonky wrote:

And hardcore dudes...

Funny, cause I've generally found that the people into really extreme hardcore music are generally fairly peaceful, nerdy types and those going out to chart house nights are usually the ones most likely to be sticking a glass in each others faces come pub closing.

It's supposed to be art/entertainment, not an endurance test :roll:

haha, so true :)
spooKs

Postby shonky » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:41 pm

numaestro wrote:
metalboxproducts wrote:
numaestro wrote:
Shonky wrote:

The 2-step tip is difficult - to try and get something fresh out of it and also you are competing with an enormous legacy - very hard for a newcomer producer to get anywhere near El-b or Horsepower. Be like trying to mark Ronaldinho and Henri :lol: :lol:

Well...personally speaking I think there was far more rhythmic variety from El-b and Horsepower and the numerous others who were making 2 step than I hear in most halfstep nowadays. Listening to the United Vibes show last night made me realise how much mileage is still left in it. Had me bouncing on my sofa rather than just gradually nodding off.

Each to their own I guess, just finding a lot of stuff doesn't interest me yet seems to see people foaming at the mouth over it. Nodding in clubs isn't what I came to dubstep for.
Hmm....

shonky

Postby badger » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:47 pm

not quite sure about the whole masculine/feminine thing but definitely agree there should be more deep/meditative/sexy stuff being played out instead of loads of ravey bangers. ravey tracks are great too but it'd be nice to have more variety

Slothrop wrote: in about six months the entire scene is going to have been taken over by nu-rave kids or clownstep kids or NME readers

not that far off im afraid. there were loads of underage looking kids with glowsticks at subdub this weekend
badger
Admin

Postby metalboxproducts » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:49 pm

badger wrote:not quite sure about the whole masculine/feminine thing but definitely agree there should be more deep/meditative/sexy stuff being played out instead of loads of ravey bangers. ravey tracks are great too but it'd be nice to have more variety

Slothrop wrote: in about six months the entire scene is going to have been taken over by nu-rave kids or clownstep kids or NME readers

not that far off im afraid. there were loads of underage looking kids with glowsticks at subdub this weekend

all about the underage looking kids. :lol:

every thursday 10-12 gmt
metalboxproducts

Postby sully_shanks » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:49 pm

yeh shonks really should have somethin pressed. one of the most interestin producers around atm!
sully_shanks

Postby ozols man » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:50 pm

Shonky wrote:
numaestro wrote:
metalboxproducts wrote:
numaestro wrote:
Shonky wrote:

Well...personally speaking I think there was far more rhythmic variety from El-b and Horsepower and the numerous others who were making 2 step than I hear in most halfstep nowadays. Listening to the United Vibes show last night made me realise how much mileage is still left in it. Had me bouncing on my sofa rather than just gradually nodding off.

Each to their own I guess, just finding a lot of stuff doesn't interest me yet seems to see people foaming at the mouth over it. Nodding in clubs isn't what I came to dubstep for.

i dont understand whos just nodding though? ive been to enuff dubstep things where everyone will be shaking their battys... i do agree though on rythmic variety though, but wouldnt that just be dubstep going into a full circle? back into 2step / garage... its all about finding the new step innit... a snare on every umpteenth bar or something while having a shit load of kicks everywhere else :P
ozols man

Postby shonky » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:50 pm

metalboxproducts wrote:
badger wrote:not quite sure about the whole masculine/feminine thing but definitely agree there should be more deep/meditative/sexy stuff being played out instead of loads of ravey bangers. ravey tracks are great too but it'd be nice to have more variety

all about the underage looking kids. :lol:

Don't tell PK, ok :wink:
Hmm....

shonky

Postby metalboxproducts » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:51 pm

This thread has gone from masculine to underage in 2 posts.

every thursday 10-12 gmt
metalboxproducts

Postby m9918868 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:15 pm

I don't know what is more disturbing, the continuous flow of darker-than-thou bangers or the fact that putting some extra bass below an r&b hit/reggae classic/ibiza anthem is becoming the only alternative left.

I mean, common, dubstep was about breaking boundaries, no?
m9918868

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion