DUBSTEP vs THE SMOKING BAN - LONDON

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
Whistla

Post by Whistla » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:53 pm

Shonky wrote:Maybe just employ smoking barstaff and have decent air-conditioning. Just a thought
yeh, surely you can just say - "you are gonna be working in a smokey environment, still want the job?"
also
I havent been to FWD since the ban (and i used to go every week!), why wud I want to ruin all the good memories by now going and finding i cant blaze in there and its full of shoreditch twats
I'd rather have my memories of the time when FWD was exactly right-on the money

osk

Post by osk » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:22 pm

[/i][/quote]

martyn i apologise for the mis-count, im not very good at judging things like that anyway[/quote]

Get it right.

Fuck's sake.

hera

Post by hera » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:28 pm

house parties are THE ONLY WAY dubstep is gonna move forward? excuse me but dubstep made its mark in the states a half decade after california and ny enacted their bans on smoking and dubstep's moved along just fine. nothing against my smoking peeps but this just isnt breaking news for the rest of the world and if you dont think the uk dubstep scene cant pull through this then you have a shallow grasp of what your scene's all about.

jaime

Post by jaime » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:39 pm

international mans: there was a reason i wrote the title in such way; .......... LONDON - i.e how the (newly enforced) smoking ban is effecting london, the scene HERE

arrrrrrrggghhhh

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i sound like a friggin nationalist now

jaime

Post by jaime » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:47 pm

hera wrote: and if you dont think the uk dubstep scene cant pull through this then you have a shallow grasp of what your scene's all about.
im with you, the house party comments (THE ONLY WAY FORWARD ETC) frustrate me

but what you have written there annoys me a lot - you guys as you have said yourself have never been able to smoke weed on dancefloors like we had for years, grooving to Mala's Unexpected Dub at FWD being one of my last memories of tugging on a joint and bopping about as happy as I can be

furthermore; an amount of our big djs over here, and dare I say the scene's big djs (YOUNGSTA / HATCHA / MALA / LOEFAH) amongst others used to, until very recently, have spiffs ready and prepared for the start of their sets, it is not all this scene is about, but jesus is was / is part of it....

i have overheard youngsta complaining a lot about that being taken away from him

this is an issue, so its something we just discuss, but please, SHALLOW?

Whistla

Post by Whistla » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:52 pm

ok mayb i shud re-phrase
what i mean is since the smoke ban the nights that have had vibes to the level that I was used to experiencing every week before the ban are now few and far between, and the ones that do have the vibes are squat parties
better?
i have not been to any roof-top parties since the ban yet so i am more than willing to believe these are also a possible solution
trust me i'm open to solutions
however, as jaime has said, i am used to smoking a number of spliffs on the dancefloor every weekend. to have that suddenly go to the point that now i cant even have a ciggie on the dancefloor is a really big shock to the system. and it has dramatically affected how my night-out progresses. I can fully accept that americans (or whereever peeps are) are used to the ban, thats all hunky dory, be happy with it. I am not gonna suddenly be "oh this is great, clubs smell better (which they dont, they now smell of sweat and i'd much rather smell of cigs tbh, if i wanna smell of other peoples sweat i'll go to the sauna) and everything is brill!" because to me they arent.
I have been smoking spliffs on the dancefloors of this nation for well over 10 years and this is like saying "you can't drink beer in a club, you have to go outside" or "you kno that kebab u like to get when your mullered, well thats banned" or "you know that biscuit you got with your tea? well if you wanna dunk it you gotta go out in the rain"

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:06 am

sorry my uk dubstep famble, but i gotta do it.

:baby:

:twisted:
Here, have a free tune:
Soundcloud

scoz

Post by scoz » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:11 am

spacecake's the way fwd.

owengriffiths

Post by owengriffiths » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:17 am

To be honest I can understand people being dissapointed about no longer being able to smoke spliffs in a club. I've never really experienced it nor really had the chance and I'm dissapointed that I never will. But I'm going to say something controversial here:

smoking cigarettes is pointless. Yes alcohol is addictive & it kills, but at least people enjoy it. How many people really enjoy cigs, seriously. i bet you most smokers only enjoy it cos they need the niccotine to satisfy there craving, ie. if you got them to successfuly kick the habit their quality of life would not decline one jot as an addiction for the sake of addiction is pointless. I just dont see the point in a drug that takes but doesnt give anything back.

It's a pity that puff, a drug that does give something back, has to be banned in public places along with pointless cigarettes, but after all zoots will harm bar staff just like cigarettes do

Maybe I'm being a revolutionary here, but that's how I see it. Fuck, think about it, theres all this talk about a ban but there has never been a ban in any country. Being able to smoke cigarettes in your home or outside doesnt count as a ban.

owengriffiths

Post by owengriffiths » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:25 am

And if I was in power I'd do the smart thing and ban cigarettes altogether. Give people a cut off date: you now have 3 years to sign up to a programme where you'll be able to buy cigarettes as a prescription drug. After this date cigarettes can no longer be bought without a prescription. That way the human rights of existing smokers are protected, and the next generation will never have to die of lung cancer.

Also make cannabis a prescription drug, something you have to apply for to limit the amount of people using, and research ways to make cannabis less harmful, ie. devoloping an alternative to smoking spliffs, like a pill form or something

Sounds harsh but at the end of the day smoking isnt casual, its a fucking killer. You can only pretend thats not true for so long

Whistla

Post by Whistla » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:26 am

tobacco is too much of a money spinner for the treasury

el sudor
Location: Beirut Express, Lamb Shawarma and chips in my belly.

Post by el sudor » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:39 am

I enjoy smoking a nice snout, its a guilty pleasure but also an addiction, i do enjoy it but i dont just smoke for fun, I am a junkie.... not only the nicotine but also the habbit of holding and inhaling a cig. a lot of non smokers go on a bit righteous and it vexes me... blow your smoke over there... how about im a smoker - you move over there... no, it doesnt work like that.. bollocks.

yes smoking is bad but so is a lot of other things... the air on the tube is filthy, the air on the main roads is dirty, cars and planes pollute the air... making clubs non smoking is like padestrianising main roads (not really but still)- wankers.

I get wound up when I (a) cant smoke and (b) have to stand in a que and wait half an hour to have one... its bollocks. This should have been addressed and organised befor the ban was implimented as at the moment its a load of shit. Also, the atmosphere in a club isnt the same aswell- too clinical... and I'd rather smell some one elses smoke than some one elses body stench - its rank.

also, i have never understood why the english have been so useless when it somes to air con.. good extractor fans are a lot.

in saying all this, having to leave the club for a smoke can allow one to sneak in a cheeky spliff on a night / in a venue where you were not able to beor the ban..

more parties where you can smoke please....

a train of thought more than anything else so its bound to contradict and waffle....

shit.

:roll:

Whistla

Post by Whistla » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:41 am

El Sudor wrote:how about im a smoker - you move over there

el sudor
Location: Beirut Express, Lamb Shawarma and chips in my belly.

Post by el sudor » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:43 am

owengriffiths wrote:es alcohol is addictive & it kills, but at least people enjoy it. How many people really enjoy cigs, seriously. i bet you most smokers only enjoy it cos they need the niccotine to satisfy there craving, ie. if you got them to successfuly kick the habit their quality of life would not decline one jot as an addiction for the sake of addiction is pointless. I just dont see the point in a drug that takes but doesnt give anything back.
i enjoy beer because it makes me drunk and stops my craving for it and i enjoy a snout because it fixes my want for an other one... i enjoy a cigarette... it gives back... non smokers dont get it... talking about some thing you dont get isnt really a good look... all drugs take something.

smoking is a killer but to sy lets ban it is pure stupidnes... please, your nuts. lets ban something thats been legal and popular for hundreds of years and spins millions of spondooliks for the government to spend on war... nein, not going to happen...

also you do get canibis pills - ive been told their great, the government gave my mate hundreds of them and he stockpiled - an other friend double dropped and was caked for 48 hours.
Last edited by el sudor on Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

owengriffiths

Post by owengriffiths » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:47 am

El Sudor wrote:not only the nicotine but also the habbit of holding and inhaling a cig.

Thats part of the problem, poeple feel naked without a cigarette in their hand, one of the things that people miss when they give up smoking. It would be good if there was a way around this problem

I get wound up when I (a) cant smoke and (b) have to stand in a que and wait half an hour to have one... its bollocks. This should have been addressed and organised befor the ban was implimented as at the moment its a load of shit.
:roll:
True, it is silly that people should have to wait at all to smoke outside. But this is happenning because there is generally limited space for smoking outside. In truth the government should subsidise clubs to build large outside smoking areas to get rid of the queues. It'll never happen though

kerox

Post by kerox » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:51 am

Whistla i'm feelin the EXACT same about the no smoking ban, do u think people would go to nights like forward if drinkin alcohol woz banned? haha, u all know the answer to that. It will never be the same again and its defo dropped my views on goin out in general coz it all goes hand in hand, I've goin FWD>> for years now and its always bin the bass ganja meditation pit. Nowhere else in london could compared to that personal off the scale vibe.
NOW LOOK, we gotta go outside risk gettin nicked n dragged away from our night just for trying our best to recreate that vibe from the start of it all.

WHO REMEMBERS?

Smoking a spliff drinkin a beer while sum drops Burning by Coki? The closest to inner peace i've ever been!

Never to be recreated at FWD>> again?

The End woz a big nite but didn't enjoy tellin some staff bonehead to fack off for tryna take my spliff out my hand. Joker. Right hookin my peaceful high.

NOW

People need to drink more, get rowdy and end up gettin knocked da fuck out instead of enjoyin a nice peaceful spliff and havin smiles and chinky eyes all round.

London's polluted as FUCK anyway.

Cough Cough. :cry:
P.s c.L.s CreW Ø7
OZONE MOOD ForEver.

L.o.s.

Post by L.o.s. » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:49 pm

stanton wrote: Not going to a decent night just cos you can't smoke is a joke.
agreed

letitia

Post by letitia » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:53 pm

I really worry about how small nights will fare, you say 'people will adapt etc' but I'm sorry, small nights cant afford to wait a year or so for people to get used to it

People are always saying its just about the music etc. but I have started to think that they are chatting shit when everyone just sits outside all night. Would you rather have a decent soundsystem or be able to smoke outside? cuz if everyone carries on like it is now there wont be small nights and if there are the sound will suck (unless someone has a free rig??)

i love to smoke but seriously if you care about the sound like everyone makes out somethings got to change, and the law is not unfortunately

rant over sorry

jaime

Post by jaime » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:25 pm

i dont think many people are missing nights because of the ban, i hope not anyway, i was able to blaze as much as I want at The End but I am looking forward to heading back to plastic people - even though its much harder to smoke if possible at all on the wrong night - i just prefer the warmth of the place and the bass is unrivalled in my opinion - the ban hasnt effected my attendance one bit but it has taken something away from my night out - momentarily

Post by __________ » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:03 pm

hera wrote: you brits i swear to god.
Us Brits have it hard enough paying £10 for 50g of tobacco without being told where to smoke it.

It is a criminal offence to smoke a cig in a pub/club/public space!
Smoking ban is shit.

Smoking and clubbing go hand in hand. Smoking is just another way to enjoy yourself, like having a drink or boshing some beans.

PERSONALLY I have a problem with pissed up chav wankers who think they are well 'ard, but if they got to me that much, I wouldn't go out clubbing, its that simple! Those pissed up chav wankers are part of the whole clubbing experience, as is...sorry WAS being able to have a smoke when you want to.

The numbers that attended the local dnb night that our website runs last saturday was about 2/3 of what it usually is. It was Zinc, so not as if nobody has heard of him :roll: but the numbers just weren't there.
Also, they had the smoke machine on turbo mode or something, trying to make up for the lack of real carcinogenic smoke, it was seriously blinding.
edit: yes its not dubstep, maybe in 20 years here in Kernow...

A few mildy pissed off non-smokers is surely a better idea than a horde of angry, nicotine-starved smokers?

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: x100+the number of ciggies smoked in an average night out
Last edited by __________ on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.