getting into dubstep

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
declipse

getting into dubstep

Post by declipse » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:25 pm

so basically two years ago i didn't listen to any electronic music at all, save hip-hop. last year i had this goofy German roommate who listened to almost exclusively shitty trance. but he played Basement Jaxx a lot too and I ended up getting into Dizzee cuz of them. Dizzee came to MSU last april (why? still not too sure..but it kicked ass). so hearing grime live, i got into that, and from there i kinda eased my way into dubstep. i didn't quite have an ear for instrumental stuff, just wasn't used to it. But by the time Skream's August mix came out, i was caught. infected. addicted. ..and it's only gotten worse since then.

so i was just wondering where you guys stood in your dubstep experience...d'n'b vets having watched it evolve, or randomly stumbled on to the exploding scene like i did. and thoughts on having come from either side.

also, grime/dubstep opened me up to all sorts of other electronic stuff, from electro to breakcore...i cant get enough of any of it...don't know how i went 18 years w/o it.
Last edited by declipse on Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jera

Post by jera » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:29 pm

i came across dubstep simply through the dubstep souljah that is dj distinction...sent me a mix...think it was the grime album launch party, never looked back since. :D :D :D

duck

Post by duck » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:42 pm

Always loved dub, jungle and garage... but everything else too..

Read a review of "To the Rescue" by Horsepower back when it was coming out (2004?). Couldn't buy it when I read the article, so bought the first LP instead. Loved it, so caught a promo of "To The Rescue" as well....
I guess I had garage tunes that were kind of dubstep-y before that though

then I've been the only person I knew that really dug dubstep for two years (was up in Leeds until a year and a half ago). Hamzen who also posts on here asked me to recommend him some new music, I recommended dubstep...
Cos he's braver than me he went to DMZ on his own.....(i'd been trying to get someone to come to FWD>> with me for months)

He loved it, made me jealous, so I started paying more attention again and went to DMZ last month basically....

Plus there are just some sick, sick tunes about at the moment and now I'm hooked.

8bitwonder

Post by 8bitwonder » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:09 pm

sub dub made me do it

since i was 15

seckle

Post by seckle » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Welcome to the forum!

gaff

Post by gaff » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:58 pm

boyfreind got me into it-i was making chilled atmospheres and that kind of thing

docdoom

Post by docdoom » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:59 pm

listened to lots of hiphop for three years, started getting into 'idm' etc then heard dubstep and grime and it just sounded fuckin bang on.

furiouz

Post by furiouz » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:20 pm

Was hooked on the early Steve Gurley/EL-B/Zed Bias dark 2step and from there Ghost/Turn-U-On/Ride It Riddims/SoulJa etc etc... Started out playing hardcore breakbeat in 1992 and then jungle and DnB.
Catch Furiouz every Tues 4-6 PM GMT @

mrjiggyfly

Post by mrjiggyfly » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:36 pm

jera wrote:i came across dubstep simply through the dubstep souljah that is dj distinction...sent me a mix...think it was the grime album launch party, never looked back since. :D :D :D
Funny, this is also the first dubstep I heard, ran across it by accident though!!!
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

el sub sta

Post by el sub sta » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:51 pm

Into garage, bingo beats and all that.
Then stuff got darker and darker.