Scene in switzerland

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
kingfisher
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:04 am
Location: Canada

Scene in switzerland

Post by kingfisher » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:00 am

Hey everyone,

I'm originally from Canada but am living in Switzerland for one year. Noticed that there are some people on here from Switzerland, could you recommend any good clubs or nights for dubstep / jungle / dnb? Haven't heard much of the stuff here although I probably just don't know where to look... Was at the Outlook launch party in Geneva a while ago but that is kind of far away (I'm near Zürich). Thanks!

User avatar
the wiggle baron
Posts: 5420
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Oxford

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by the wiggle baron » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:27 am

Im going to go get Juan now, he'll be able to fill you in perfectly on everything swiss and bass related!!

Blazingdubs collective!
Saturday nights 7-9pm GMT - Wiggle Baron @ SubFM!

Radio archive: http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=60164.html
Mixes: http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=63354
Electronic Explorations 035
Deeper Mix
Bad Mood Dub
2hr Classics Selection

User avatar
Harkat
Posts: 6375
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:05 am
Location: GLASGOW

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by Harkat » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 am

I lived in zurich for a year. Never got to go to nights cuz I was 16, but in the one year I was there this local night, Dub Ex Machina, had Kode9, Kryptic Minds, Cyrus, Pinch and several others.
RKM wrote: when bae hands u the aux mixtape and your squad blunted 9/11 aye lmao

User avatar
mIrReN
Posts: 5611
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Belgium, Bruges

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by mIrReN » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:07 am

the wiggle baron wrote:Im going to go get Juan now, he'll be able to fill you in perfectly on everything swiss and bass related!!

Blazingdubs collective!
:z:

DUBTOPIA
"If your chest ain't rattlin it ain't happenin'" - DJ Pinch
"Move pples bodies and stimulate their minds"
we just ride the wave
Life sucks; Get used² it.

big up your mum

User avatar
Electric_Head
Posts: 16958
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:59 am
Location: South of Africa
Contact:

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by Electric_Head » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 am

kingfisher wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm originally from Canada but am living in Switzerland for one year. Noticed that there are some people on here from Switzerland, could you recommend any good clubs or nights for dubstep / jungle / dnb? Haven't heard much of the stuff here although I probably just don't know where to look... Was at the Outlook launch party in Geneva a while ago but that is kind of far away (I'm near Zürich). Thanks!
Speak to vulvibration aka phrex aka juan aka the guy from switzerland.
Image ImageImage Image
Image

Riddles
Posts: 4819
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Brighton

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by Riddles » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Electric_Head wrote:
kingfisher wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm originally from Canada but am living in Switzerland for one year. Noticed that there are some people on here from Switzerland, could you recommend any good clubs or nights for dubstep / jungle / dnb? Haven't heard much of the stuff here although I probably just don't know where to look... Was at the Outlook launch party in Geneva a while ago but that is kind of far away (I'm near Zürich). Thanks!
Speak to vulvibration aka phrex aka juan aka the guy from switzerland.
Yeh Phrex is a top guy, been to visit him a few times and every time it's been a party
Image
soronery wrote:Too easy to sit behind a keyboard with a playlist of dubstep tunes on, arguing about the defintion of a word in relation to a sound.
All that melts away when the lights are down and the bass is up.

kingfisher
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:04 am
Location: Canada

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by kingfisher » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:56 pm

I lived in zurich for a year. Never got to go to nights cuz I was 16, but in the one year I was there this local night, Dub Ex Machina, had Kode9, Kryptic Minds, Cyrus, Pinch and several others.
That sounds awesome. Mala played here a while ago, but unfortunately I was away and I missed it... Will look up the night tho
Riddles wrote:
Electric_Head wrote:
kingfisher wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm originally from Canada but am living in Switzerland for one year. Noticed that there are some people on here from Switzerland, could you recommend any good clubs or nights for dubstep / jungle / dnb? Haven't heard much of the stuff here although I probably just don't know where to look... Was at the Outlook launch party in Geneva a while ago but that is kind of far away (I'm near Zürich). Thanks!
Speak to vulvibration aka phrex aka juan aka the guy from switzerland.


Yeh Phrex is a top guy, been to visit him a few times and every time it's been a party
Alright, looks like I will have to talk to this Phrex!

User avatar
soulkids
Posts: 2344
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: switzalaaaan'

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by soulkids » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:56 pm

hey, im from switzerland too. you're based in zurich right? zurich has probably the livliest scene, there isn't too much else on a regular basis (except you go for techno, house etc.). im living in basel right now, but will be moving to london in october ;)

hook up juan, he's from bern though. otherwise there's guyus and his partner new.com (comfortnoise/dub ex machina), nik!, hula honeys etc. all from zurich

also the guys from bass vandalizm are doing some good stuff. if you're looking for the 140 stuff I think tengu sound from st. gallen (not sure if that's correct) is your adress.

join the facebook group but it's not too much of a help imho (it used to be quite alright 1.5 years ago):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/271571356240971/

User avatar
Be-1ne
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:51 am
Location: Burrminam
Contact:

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by Be-1ne » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:11 am

Zoo club in Geneva. oof!

What happened to Moonshine and the gang? had a wicked time with them when I went to see Silkie and Quest over there.
.com - Facebook - Twitter - Soundcloud - Juno Chart

Out Now ARE009 Digital (super ltd vinyl featuring my remix of Compa - Security)
Soundcloud

jrkhnds
Posts: 4180
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:35 am
Location: Zurich / Basel

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by jrkhnds » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:01 pm

hi there from zurich.

the larger/noteworthy swiss dubstep crews:
bern: blazing dubs (phrex, cutcachi...); some other guy.
zurich: dubexmachina (guyus, new.com); mano fico (too many too strange to name...)
st. gallen: tengu collective (taiken and his mates; nice sound system)
basel: there's this dude called "zecher" that does a few moves; had a couple of UA guys over here. but their club burned down so idk what's to come withem.

that's more or less it, at least for the german speaking part. watch out for the zurich club District 4, as it will feature a deeper dubstep night every few weeks (they had mala, yunx and the likes). mostly it's brostep or house though, with some good drum'n'bass parties thrown in the mix as well.

join that group for all things swiss dubstep related:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1141463 ... 7/?fref=ts
those are the guys that booked mala (three times already!), kode9, peverelist, pinch, km, addison groove, etc.


if you want to know more about the drum'n'bass tings or simply wanna get a free tour of the city just drop me a message. cba to write all of it out just now, sorry. :)
AxeD wrote:I dunno, there's some thoroughly unemployed people on this forum.
Soundcloud

kingfisher
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:04 am
Location: Canada

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by kingfisher » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:42 pm

soulkids wrote:hey, im from switzerland too. you're based in zurich right?
I actually live in the baden/wettingen area . Zürich is really close tho and Bern and Basel are not too far away for a Canadian ;-) (although Geneva is a bit of a stretch...)
Be-1ne wrote:Zoo club in Geneva. oof!
I was there in May for the Outlook launch party. The music was great, some dubby stuff upstairs and Cyrus was playing downstairs, but the place was rammed full of aggy sweaty people pushing their way thru the crowd (also the most crowded place I've ever been to) so that kind of ruined the vibe... Maybe it was just the night tho, Commodo is playing there next week I believe so maybe its worth a second chance
Jurkhands wrote:hi there from zurich.
if you want to know more about the drum'n'bass tings or simply wanna get a free tour of the city just drop me a message.
May have to get back to you on this :)

Anyway thanks very much for the info everyone! Definitely have some stuff I could check out now that I was not aware of before

User avatar
Johnlenham
Posts: 6067
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by Johnlenham » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:16 pm

dubexmachina night I went to was sick when I went a year ago with Riddles and dubluke (Pinch played).
I think the club they had it in got demolished though, at least thats what was said would happen by spring this year.

Also they have some mad party's in the squat in Bern. Juan and Guyus are also proper friendly :)

jrkhnds
Posts: 4180
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:35 am
Location: Zurich / Basel

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by jrkhnds » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:37 pm

yeah, just hit me up. preferrably before mid-september, since I'll be busy studying, working or running my club nights (in Basel) from there on.

Juan and Guy are the most friendly guys you'll find in the scene. always put on the best dubstep nights out there as well; there was one just the last weekend in a squat in Zurich. big vibes. Guy's and Marius's resident club, "Cabaret", is getting demolished as I type. they'll build shopping mall #132 where it once stood. sad times.
that Pinch set was fire; I remember him dropping Mid June Madness. I purely bought that EP because of the damage it did to that floor. same goes for Guy, if I recall correctly. :lol:
Bern wasn't a squat though; Reitschule/Dachstock is a proper club that just looks like one. Ben Danger runs nights there as well, had Coki over just a night before Mala played Zurich.

Zoo is always crowded, since it's the only club in the Lake of Geneva area (400'000 inhabitants) that plays something other than Swedish House Mafia or hipster techno. almost unbearable the night they had Goth-Trad, but then again that was at Electron Festival which has quite the reputation.
a few years back they had a sick, sick soundsystem in there. best fix installation I've ever heard, to be honest. unfortunately, they had to size it down because of noise complaints and legal issues. District 4 rocks a Funktion One, but I found the hights to be too pronounced, leaving you with hurting ears after a few hours. D4 has nice low-end, though, and the location has a really nice basement feeling to it.
AxeD wrote:I dunno, there's some thoroughly unemployed people on this forum.
Soundcloud

User avatar
Johnlenham
Posts: 6067
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by Johnlenham » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:54 pm

The one that is inside the old school building, near the station? We went to some mad House night in borrowed PJ's haha
Cabaret thats the one! Fuck that club was amazing. Your mid june madness is my shoulda rolla!


jrkhnds
Posts: 4180
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:35 am
Location: Zurich / Basel

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by jrkhnds » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:22 pm

yeah, but I see myself easily playing shoulda rolla out. haven't run into a situation yet that would allow me to drop mid june madness. ;)

this one?
Image

old building near the station.
AxeD wrote:I dunno, there's some thoroughly unemployed people on this forum.
Soundcloud

Riddles
Posts: 4819
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Brighton

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by Riddles » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Jurkhands wrote:yeah, but I see myself easily playing shoulda rolla out. haven't run into a situation yet that would allow me to drop mid june madness. ;)

this one?
Image

old building near the station.

yeh man thats it
Image
soronery wrote:Too easy to sit behind a keyboard with a playlist of dubstep tunes on, arguing about the defintion of a word in relation to a sound.
All that melts away when the lights are down and the bass is up.

jrkhnds
Posts: 4180
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:35 am
Location: Zurich / Basel

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by jrkhnds » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:24 pm

legit club/centre for all things culture, not a squat.
welcome to switzerland. ;)
AxeD wrote:I dunno, there's some thoroughly unemployed people on this forum.
Soundcloud

User avatar
Johnlenham
Posts: 6067
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by Johnlenham » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:36 pm

Jurkhands wrote:legit club/centre for all things culture, not a squat.
welcome to switzerland. ;)
Really? Hmm Juan said it was. Maybe miss translation. Still its prety sick :h:

jrkhnds
Posts: 4180
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:35 am
Location: Zurich / Basel

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by jrkhnds » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:04 pm

his english is arguably better than mine, and he's a local whilst I'm from zurich; so I most likely am chatting shit when he says otherwise, but as far as I know it's held and run by a non-profit-oriented community of people who organise things there. they run a club (named Dachstock, swissgerman for attic), and a bar/club on the ground floor called Reitschule (horseback riding school). although property discussions arise now and then, I'm pretty certain these guys hold a liquor license and everything.

but I'll ask him next time I bump into him.

however, lovely place, lovely vibes, friendly and educated guests, none of that chavvy behaviour you might spot at bigger venues (apart from dmz6, I remember a night at Cable with everybody running around topless. fucks wrong with people)
AxeD wrote:I dunno, there's some thoroughly unemployed people on this forum.
Soundcloud

User avatar
Taiken
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:42 am
Location: Switzerland / St. Gallen / Basel
Contact:

Re: Scene in switzerland

Post by Taiken » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:27 pm

oi boys!

there is also to name the unreleased kollective (slass, kolt and them) in the western part of switzerland, they have pretty fresh bookings!

for me personaly the purest dubstep event is the "dubtopia", organized by phrex and his partner in crime cutkachi (both sick producers by the way) we usually set up our soundsystem there. In zürich there is of course dub ex machina (guyus & new.com, he also runs the comfort noise podcast -> advanced dubwise electronic music). the district 4 actually closed, as far is i know. you also have to check out steppas choice, the foundational swiss dubstep radio show, every monday from 20-22 cet.

we (the tengu collective / tengu soundsystem) are from st. gallen, but i recently moved to basel, so I'will have to check out whats going on here!

@ jurkhands: let's have a beer together!

btw: there is dubexmachina in december at the komplex klub in zh, i play there as well, check out: http://www.comfortnoise.com/

1love
taiken

edit: we run a party night as well, it's called "fraction", the next one is on the 6th of december @ the grabenhalle in st.gallen with loxy, inter, deefa mc, if you are into proper drum'n'bass as well ;-)
TENGU SOUNDSYSTEM // TENGU COLLECTIVE

Links
http://soundcloud.com/djtaiken
http://tengucollective.ch/

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests