Message to Boomkat employees...

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
Jubz

Post by Jubz » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:48 pm

Scaramanga wrote:
masstronaut wrote:Well known and much in demand for his prolific and occasionally mildly amusing posts at online scene hub dubstepforum.com Jubscarz latest sees him delving into the area known by those in the know as the 'diss-post' and he doesn't disappoint with this finely aimed missive going squarely to the heart of sales blurb passing itself off as music criticism. Don't sleep.
lol
ha ha good job, though not so prolific these days.

OoGuN

Post by OoGuN » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:30 pm

scoz wrote:I think they get their postie to walk from manc to whereever the records have to go to
FacME!! No wonder my records always arrive in New Zealand sopping wet. He's had to walk the Pacific to get here. Or as Boomkat would put it:

"Contrary to the flood of ill-dressed, work-shy posties that we use every week, this postie delves into the depths of the Pacific to deliver stacks of formulaic wobble bass driven shite that we make our records of the week to easily impressed idiot from NZ"

actually BoomKat and Juno and Redeye are a lifesaver if you no longer live within spitting distance of BMSoho.

And at least you can listen to the tunes and play "Are they talking about this tune?" - imagine if all you had was the reviews!
Drunk Elephant Sound on Juno Download: http://www.junodownload.com/labels/Drunk+Elephant+Sound

joni_speedbass

Post by joni_speedbass » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:45 pm

every 1 getting all opinionated about boomkat voiceing there opinions
mental

Jubz

Post by Jubz » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:20 pm

saba

Post by saba » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:40 am

Arrghh!!....Im trying to buy tunes from them & it keeps telling me " SYSTEM ERROR! - SYSTEM ERROR!" :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

nomorecomastep
Permanent Vacation

Post by nomorecomastep » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:53 am

Plastician wrote:"Head straight for the Platician/Skream remix on the flipside of this twelve, another shocking alignment of bass dexterity and percussive determination from these two gifted producers. The original vocal makes an appearance half way through the mix, but the transitions and drops are handled with immense attention to detail and the kind of precision engineering that would fray at the seems in the hands of any lesser producers. Solid stuff - limited copies!"

I dunno........... I kinda like their opinions ;)
Yea, but which tune was this... I think we'll listen and decide if this was a paid review, eh :D :twisted:

nomorecomastep
Permanent Vacation

Post by nomorecomastep » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:00 am

seckle wrote:My only problem with boomkat reviews is that in the past they've outted peoples samples in tunes, which is a bit much if you ask me. Just because you've been given the task of reviewing doesn't mean that you're justified in playing name-that-sample. With the power of google these days, it's definitely not helping the producer or the label to do that. It's also not going to help sell records either.
Umm... actually, as an audiophile, I like to know what is sampled in a tune. Frankly, if you sample something in a tune, it should be written on the sleeve of the record and that person you sampled should be getting paid a percentage of the proceeds. But since they aren't getting paid, at least some damn name recognition would be in order.

I'd be pissed off if I did a song and some un-authorized remixes show up online and start making money off of my hard work, and nobody pays me for it, and I don't even get credit for being the source of the sample. Sounds a bit Timbaland to me, and I'd encourage beating the piss out of people who do shit like this.

osk

Post by osk » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:34 am

Batfink wrote:man, i can;t believe people even care. :lol:

If a record shop is willing to put in the time to write anything about a tune, then that's already above and beyond the call of duty in my book. And if its incredibly opinionated, all the better!

how would you all feel if the reviews read like this

"This is a dubstep record. There is quite alot of bass once it gets going and the hihat noise is cool. Its like CHAK CHAK CHAK in-your-face business. wicked. Bass sounds like a bear burping underwater. Bad."
EXACTLY. SPOT ON BATFINK.

At least they care. At least they make an effort. At least they provide an experience.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEIR OPINIONS, MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND USING THE 'LISTEN' FEATURES THEY PROVIDE.

badger

Post by badger » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:07 pm

kept out of this for now but here we go. i personally like their reviews, yeah they gush a hell of a lot and their constant references to how boring/generic etc dubstep is are pretty annoying but besides that the reviews are generally pretty honest and accurate and theyre certainly better than nothing - which is what you get at pretty much every other online store.
stop your whinging people
NoMoreComaStep wrote:
Plastician wrote:"Head straight for the Platician/Skream remix on the flipside of this twelve, another shocking alignment of bass dexterity and percussive determination from these two gifted producers. The original vocal makes an appearance half way through the mix, but the transitions and drops are handled with immense attention to detail and the kind of precision engineering that would fray at the seems in the hands of any lesser producers. Solid stuff - limited copies!"

I dunno........... I kinda like their opinions ;)
Yea, but which tune was this... I think we'll listen and decide if this was a paid review, eh :D :twisted:
thats the plastician/skream remix of the black ghosts and its absolutely amazing. worthy praise

nomorecomastep
Permanent Vacation

Post by nomorecomastep » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:36 pm

frankly a lot of dubstep is boring as piss. I think this has been established and we had all moved on... some people like that boring shit, and God help em.

I, for one, like the bass, with a little bit of percussion... maybe a snare. not that half time crap. I'm sure they are just bored of the formula people are starting to get into. A very few people are doing some stuff that is really pushing things forward, but frankly a lot of the oldtimers are making the standard dubstep. Noone that has been in this conversation, not directed at Plastician... I don't really consider him much dubstep anyway, though I guess some tracks are, but whatever.

Point is, there's good stuff and bad stuff. There was a time when we had no choice in the matter. Hot Flush, DMZ, Tempa, Planet Mu... don't like it, tough shit. Now there are more choices, and the older labels are still pretty much coming correct consistently... but now we have the freedom to NOT buy releases and to choose other labels instead. Frankly, I wouldn't buy any shit tunes if I was in charge of selling them. The reviews would write themselves, based upon the facts of what the song was. I would think these places would let fans review tunes, like Amazon... that might be a nice feature to add. I would contribute to releases coming out.

prisoner

Post by prisoner » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:11 pm

i just wish they would offer a text only version of their site...

(and cheaper shipping! ; )

cure

Post by cure » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:11 am

I dont know...some of their reviews make me not want to buy the record.. for example:
Dub Police follow up Distinction's debut e.p with 3 tracks from wobblestep heroes The Others. If you've checked N-type's show recently you'll know the style, LFO tweakin subbass that induces an effect in young men between the ages of 16-30 that can be quite embarrassing to witness sometimes. 'flapjack dub' on the flip attempts to open the dubstep market up to pre-teens with a playschool bass melody that would even make the Chuckle Brothers sit down and tell the DJ to f*ck off. 'Bushido' closes the E.P with a hefty twock from Crouching Tiger, ramping up the faux emotion to make your girlfriend cry with disbelief.
good sales tactic..lol.
www.aufect.com
Aufect Radio with CURE & BOMBAMAN on SUB FM - SUNDAYS 5-7 PM PST
http://soundcloud.com/aufect-recordings
http://soundcloud.com/dj_cure

Jubz

Post by Jubz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:16 am

cure wrote:I dont know...some of their reviews make me not want to buy the record.. for example:
Dub Police follow up Distinction's debut e.p with 3 tracks from wobblestep heroes The Others. If you've checked N-type's show recently you'll know the style, LFO tweakin subbass that induces an effect in young men between the ages of 16-30 that can be quite embarrassing to witness sometimes. 'flapjack dub' on the flip attempts to open the dubstep market up to pre-teens with a playschool bass melody that would even make the Chuckle Brothers sit down and tell the DJ to f*ck off. 'Bushido' closes the E.P with a hefty twock from Crouching Tiger, ramping up the faux emotion to make your girlfriend cry with disbelief.
good sales tactic..lol.
he he he.

misk

Post by misk » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:31 am

cure wrote:I dont know...some of their reviews make me not want to buy the record.. for example:
good sales tactic..lol.
those ones are my favorite though! :D

cure

Post by cure » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:38 am

Misk wrote:
good sales tactic..lol.
those ones are my favorite though! :D
well I'm not saying that its not funny...I just think its weird...they are a business...the point of a business it to make a profit, no? Also its bad business when its taking the piss outta someone who wants to buy it..and say next mans browsing the site (and hasnt heard of the tune) comes across it...they arn't gonna even bother listening...
www.aufect.com
Aufect Radio with CURE & BOMBAMAN on SUB FM - SUNDAYS 5-7 PM PST
http://soundcloud.com/aufect-recordings
http://soundcloud.com/dj_cure

joni_speedbass

Post by joni_speedbass » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:17 am

supose uv gotta laugh realy at some shit they put up
some dose tend to anoy me though - like this 1

boomkat :
"Thank goodness you get a naked chick on the centre sticker of this latest from Greco-British producer Sarantis, if you didn't I might be convinced to give it a less than favourable review, but thanks to a neatly polished pair of darkened breasts I feel obliged to let it roll."

S ! T ! F ! U !

mephisto6

Post by mephisto6 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:20 pm

although big up boomkat for getting the metalheadz re releases been wanting to replace my broken copy of repetoire for a while now

cherrie

Post by cherrie » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:29 pm

oooh harsh! but don't take it to heart its only one persons opinion... great PR for them everyones talking about them!

blip

Post by blip » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:00 pm

metalboxproducts wrote:They do chat the biggest load of shite i have ever read though. Still very funny. And it's kinda nice they are so enthusiastic. :lol:
Yeah, but they are cocaine-enthusiastic about pretty much everything...
How many ESSENTIAL tunes can fit into a weekly review? BASS! BUY! NOW!

parson

Post by parson » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:15 pm

I <3 BOOMKAT