quality of vinyl

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
Steve AC23

Post by Steve AC23 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:55 pm

Dubloke wrote:
trigga!!! wrote:the b side with the flo dan remix (the reason i bought it) is very very very quiet
same with mine, fucking annoying :evil: :evil: :evil:
Hmm....obviously its going to be a bit quiet coz its at 33 and two tunes on it.

But yea I thought the same, the vocal is very quiet in the mix :( (to me anyway)
Also the A side seems to be limited to buggery. (still feeling it!)
Bit gutted coz of the effort of going 180gram too!

Not having a whinge, no one owes me nowt but just gutted coz really need that Flow Dan lyric firing when you play it out.

oddfellow

Post by oddfellow » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:09 pm

I had a problem with that Pink Punk Reso remix. Its a filthy tune but lacks the punch it should do. Whether thats down to it sharing its side with another track or just the overall quality of the pressing I am not sure.

dubloke

Post by dubloke » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:12 pm

ac23 wrote:
Dubloke wrote:
trigga!!! wrote:the b side with the flo dan remix (the reason i bought it) is very very very quiet
Its just that its really quiet, not like other two track 33 vinyls which can be fixed with a tweak of the volume on the mixer

claw

Post by claw » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:18 pm

cdjs dont crackle 8)
~~BroTown : Subhuman : Rottun : Ultragore : Basshead : PlayMe : DemonDub~~
Bookings - Hulkstep@Gmail.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/hulk
http://www.hulkstep.com

Steve AC23

Post by Steve AC23 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:34 pm

Dubloke wrote:
ac23 wrote:
Dubloke wrote:

But yea I thought the same, the vocal is very quiet in the mix :( (to me anyway)
Its just that its really quiet, not like other two track 33 vinyls which can be fixed with a tweak of the volume on the mixer
hmm i hate it when people chop up and misquote.

It's more to do with the mixing stage rather than the pressing stage - I would've thought (I dunno, im gonna pretend Im in the know), its missing a lot of high end(to me). Using your ears or a graphical thingy.

Makes the vocal sit shit and really hard to hear.

The overall volume is fine just the lack of high end is whats making u think its quiet.

Hope that make sense (or appologies if im completely wrong)
Im gutted regardless. Flow Dan is a badman.

xor

Post by xor » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:08 pm

claw wrote:cdjs dont crackle 8)
But will cds survive 80 years and counting...? I have a feeling they will deteriorate and turn into some kind of horrible chemical mess.

But what really bothers me, is when labels press on really thin vinyl...it only costs 10p extra a unit to get heavy vinyl at pressing...easily worth it in imo.
I need a cup of tea
\\\\\\
//oo\\
///(__)
///""\\
\\\\\\\\

sully_shanks

Post by sully_shanks » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:51 pm

MungosHiFi wrote:
Nubian Minds wrote:maybe in an attempt to bring manufacturing costs down to a minimum ppl are getting their records pressed as cheaply as possible,in some eastern european plants that wouldn't be as concerned about overall quality?
eh?? why would eastern european plant be shitter than the shit ones here?
got stuff pressed with gz before at its proper and more $$

a good plants a good plant be it in uk or elsewhere
i had a run of records pressed at gz n they came back with a minute silence in the middle of once of the tracks.
obviously there wasnt any silence in the track i sent!
any plant who can make a mistake like that are fucking cowboys n not worth touching with a barge pole.

sully_shanks

Post by sully_shanks » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:53 pm

XOR wrote:
claw wrote:cdjs dont crackle 8)
But will cds survive 80 years and counting...? I have a feeling they will deteriorate and turn into some kind of horrible chemical mess.

But what really bothers me, is when labels press on really thin vinyl...it only costs 10p extra a unit to get heavy vinyl at pressing...easily worth it in imo.
2nd that!!!! nothing worse than a killer track on a flimsy warped 12.

owengriffiths

Post by owengriffiths » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:12 pm

Who is responsible for warped vinyl? Is it an accident by the factory machinery, or idiots in the distributors/ record shops who store it incorrectly. really wouldnt be surprised if its the latter, and all the more irritating because its avoidable

mungoshifi

Post by mungoshifi » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:50 pm

sully_shanks wrote:
MungosHiFi wrote:
Nubian Minds wrote:maybe in an attempt to bring manufacturing costs down to a minimum ppl are getting their records pressed as cheaply as possible,in some eastern european plants that wouldn't be as concerned about overall quality?

i had a run of records pressed at gz n they came back with a minute silence in the middle of once of the tracks.
any plant who can make a mistake like that are fucking cowboys n not worth touching with a barge pole.
Im sorry to hear that, i have always found them great and know many others who have also been most happy with their service, its the first bad thing ive heard about them-thanks for letting us know, although i still dont think their location has anything to do with it
cheers

mungoshifi

Post by mungoshifi » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:50 pm

sully_shanks wrote:
MungosHiFi wrote:

mungoshifi

Post by mungoshifi » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:53 pm

sorry^^

dont know how to delete the duplicate mistake

xor

Post by xor » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:15 pm

owengriffiths wrote:Who is responsible for warped vinyl? Is it an accident by the factory machinery, or idiots in the distributors/ record shops who store it incorrectly. really wouldnt be surprised if its the latter, and all the more irritating because its avoidable
Just being too thin will do it. I bought a record last week and had it standing up, at an angle of about 85 degrees (that's science that is) and in three days it was warped. Crap.
I need a cup of tea
\\\\\\
//oo\\
///(__)
///""\\
\\\\\\\\

le_hardcore_chiefus

Post by le_hardcore_chiefus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:15 pm

just put my tes la rok on 3,5 under the strain of about 50+ records

hopefullly it will be sorted in a week or so...also ran another warper under some warm water first...didnt seem to do much, as advised

dusk governor

Post by dusk governor » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Le_Hardcore_Chiefus wrote:just put my tes la rok on 3,5 under the strain of about 50+ records

hopefullly it will be sorted in a week or so...also ran another warper under some warm water first...didnt seem to do much, as advised
LOL...

le_hardcore_chiefus

Post by le_hardcore_chiefus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:36 pm

make that 150 rex...i underestimated

ps thats my whole dubstep collection not bad for a relative beginner!

well compared to some of the oleskool