taal mala: looking for UK/Europe bookings for July

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
infiltrata

Post by infiltrata » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:53 pm

taal mala wrote:
prisoner wrote:so do you actually have skream's (& tempa's) & burial's (& hyperdub's) permission to be remixing their stuff and using it in a mix that's posted online?

:?:

well no,

but considering that I've only used about one 3 second sample from each track, and remade the rest....
i can understand bootlegs of other genres.. but bootegs of dubstep tunes is like imbreeding!! :roll: respect on the tunes tho taal mala.. they are good.. but saying youre gonna put out a bootleg of the biggest skream track of all time is a lil far fetched... and the burial thing.. no comment

vonboyage

Post by vonboyage » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:04 pm

Well.. i did an 0800 time ago.. Put it on the myspace.. showed Skream about it

Asked me to take it down, so i did.

Etiquette.

I would never release a remix without prior consent. Specially wouldnt talk about it on the forums like it was all kush.
Origininja

prisoner

Post by prisoner » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:26 pm

adisize wrote:
prisoner wrote:so do you actually have skream's (& tempa's) & burial's (& hyperdub's) permission to be remixing their stuff and using it in a mix that's posted online?

:?:
oh come on Burial doesnt clear his samples and hes making money from them!! and iom sure your not gonna be having a go at cluekid for having react FM sets (avail. for DL) with Sensi Dub in it.
there's a difference between taking samples from outside source material and creating something new with them then there is with taking samples from the two biggest dubstep producers and riding their coattails.

i mean dude's name is even bitting....

it's just poor form and disrespectful.

vonboyage

Post by vonboyage » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:37 pm

Lol, don't take it to his name.. its got fuck all to do with that.

I mean yeah the mala bit is bait.. but meh, he can call himself what he wants.
Origininja

rekordah

Post by rekordah » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Alex Deadman wrote:
skream wrote:
taal mala wrote:
.rudetone. wrote:Mate your tracks are sick as fuck but I'm not personally a promoter and i dont know of any slots goin at that time..

Your remix of Midnight Request Line ever get any further than just on the Myspace player??...that tune was dutty.

white label in the works...

Really :?:
LOL

It took awhile to get it doh :lol:
19th October - Jahtari Presents Tapes EP Launch Party @ Gramaphone, London w/ Tapes, Clause Four & International Observer.
23rd October - Galway, Ireland.
31st October - UFO @ Dojo, Bristol w/ Dema.

http://www.myspace.com/rekorder87

rekordah

Post by rekordah » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:41 pm

Vonboyage wrote:Lol, don't take it to his name.. its got fuck all to do with that.

Mala is an Indian name isn't it?
19th October - Jahtari Presents Tapes EP Launch Party @ Gramaphone, London w/ Tapes, Clause Four & International Observer.
23rd October - Galway, Ireland.
31st October - UFO @ Dojo, Bristol w/ Dema.

http://www.myspace.com/rekorder87

oddfellow

Post by oddfellow » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:45 pm

Dont see an issue with it personally. You cant be for sampling outside of one genre but against it within it own genre. What about hip-hop?

vonboyage

Post by vonboyage » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:52 pm

Tomity wrote:You cant be for sampling outside of one genre but against it within it own genre. What about hip-hop?
This is a very VERY strong point.
rekorder wrote:
Vonboyage wrote:Lol, don't take it to his name.. its got fuck all to do with that.

Yeah im very sure it originates from around those parts. There's probably Hundreds of Mala's and Mala variants.
Last edited by vonboyage on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Origininja

faustus

Post by faustus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:53 pm

plus, the 'soundboy's skulls get cracked' mix is one of my favourite ever, so i don't have a problem with any of it...

prisoner

Post by prisoner » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Tomity wrote:Dont see an issue with it personally. You cant be for sampling outside of one genre but against it within it own genre. What about hip-hop?
What about hip-hop?

hip hop is irrelevant to what we're talking about.

i dunno.....

i just know i would never "remix" other dubstep artist's stuff without their permission, let alone post about pressing up a white label of it. im guessing most producers aren't making that much and to piggyback on their meager success is weak imo.

(and yeah sorry for bringing the name into it, that was uncalled for.)

and i think you can be against sampling within a genre. because to me it's the outside influence that brings all the things i like to the music. sampling within is just a regurgitation.

oddfellow

Post by oddfellow » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:34 pm

prisoner wrote:
Tomity wrote:Dont see an issue with it personally. You cant be for sampling outside of one genre but against it within it own genre. What about hip-hop?
What about hip-hop?

hip hop is irrelevant to what we're talking about.

i dunno.....

i just know i would never "remix" other dubstep artist's stuff without their permission, let alone post about pressing up a white label of it. im guessing most producers aren't making that much and to piggyback on their meager success is weak imo.

(and yeah sorry for bringing the name into it, that was uncalled for.)

and i think you can be against sampling within a genre. because to me it's the outside influence that brings all the things i like to the music. sampling within is just a regurgitation.
All depends on how its regurgitated I suppose. The reason I brought up hip hop is because I was listening to The Unseen by Quasimoto yesterday. Its a brillient album and takes samples and lifts lyrics from certain things. You know exactly where its come from but in a way thats whats so good about it, hearing it in a different context.

I agree that whether it should be released or not is an issue for the artist (although its generally the record labels and lawyers that kick up a fuss). But with this song in particular I cant see how it would be a negative thing.

esoundc

Post by esoundc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:48 pm

only part i see not right is saying the artist name and then it is the Taal Mala remix, if it was Taal Mala track with some sampled moments it would not be a big problem i think. Yeah i do not know about that, it seems all sampling people shall be punished, it is a lot sampling and voice using with no permission.
yes back there in time shut up and dance stop to exist because the used a sample of Terence T'rent Darby in "Derek Went Mad" wich is actually great track.
sampling is not bad at all, i'm sure bigger part of people on that forum used ragga voicings and accapelas with no permission. And then what about the breakcore, techno,house more styles in electronic music. Yes it may be problem that artist was not asked, but it all depends on the artist that have been sampled, it is his problem. Between him and the guy who does the sampling!Mostly they shall be happy with it, cause it is all about the music!
sory to inetrfear but, this was a booking call, not a court case, the sampling means more like love this track, not like see i remix this track, now give me a career , i want to go to MTV or some,so i do not know. Maybe i cleaned a good point of view hope people get what i wanted to say, i'm not so good with english and not shure if i bring some point. Also there was this mix thread, u can talk about that there, here is a booking call! :idea:
naive like a lamb, silent like a fish, honest like a dog.

frodo

Post by frodo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:02 pm

I'd say he's definitely not helping his cause by bootlegging so publicly in a small scene and even using a picture of the label of the original record.

xirrus

Post by xirrus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:46 pm

I think everyone needs a reminder that the very genre that we love all comes down to samples. To try and argue about sampling another dubstep artists material yet singling out other artists that are sampling hip-hop,dnb,breaks and straight up motion picture movies from Paramount Pictures,20th Century Fox is absolutely absurd. What next your going to argue who owns various half time or 2 step signatures?.

Electronica music in general is all about samples whether if its 303's,909's etc. There is NOTHING that is genuine or original about it PERIOD... Electronica music is just one of those genre's that will continue to evolve simply based on sampling. Infact its the only way that it can evolve. If you can't handle it or expect it. Then I suggest that you switch to a whole different category of music all together.

I can begin to start arguing how there are artists out there just in dubstep alone that are producing tracks that are presets in various programs. Yet are having them released and have been some of the top tunes out there.

So unless you have seen Taal Mala and any of his performances. Whether they are DJ sets or Live, You'd understand his style of sound and see what he truely brings out to the table.

As per the others, Well I can start going off. But my mother taught my well... If I ain't got anything nice to say... DON'T SAY IT...

So peace... move forward...

And finally

BOOK TAAL MALA TO YOUR EVENT.

jim

Post by jim » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:52 pm

xirrus wrote: Electronica music in general is all about samples whether if its 303's,909's
The 303 was a synthesizer and the 808 was a drum machine that synthesized percussion sounds. Neither was a sampler.

xirrus

Post by xirrus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:27 pm

jim wrote:
xirrus wrote: Electronica music in general is all about samples whether if its 303's,909's
The 303 was a synthesizer and the 808 was a drum machine that synthesized percussion sounds. Neither was a sampler.
alright that was probably a bad example.. I admit. However the main point here really was that anything and everything that you heard in electronica music are the same synthesis.. pattern's.. etc... Any and every discussion that has lead to ppl using "Samples" has gone no where and people just go about there ways. Because in the end samples from various bits and ends, from anything around the world makes 1 track unique to the other.

superisk

Post by superisk » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:36 pm

Does Skream really need you all to fight his battles for him? Im sure if there is an issue they will resolve it privately.

Putting genre boundaries on sampling is hypocritical, if we have outside sampling you cant all turn around and jump on someone for sampling within the genre like theres some law against it. Its merely your opinion.

cure

Post by cure » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Risky has words...

And taking low blows about Taal Malas name is totally ignorant.
www.aufect.com
Aufect Radio with CURE & BOMBAMAN on SUB FM - SUNDAYS 5-7 PM PST
http://soundcloud.com/aufect-recordings
http://soundcloud.com/dj_cure

struggle

Post by struggle » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:12 pm

i knew there had to be some kinda drama for this thread to be 3 pages long already :lol:

heard him perform live twice here and i have to say the mans material is legit and unique...definitely not a biter.

...as for the whole name thing :roll:

taal mala

Post by taal mala » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:23 pm

rekorder wrote:

right mate.

i've been calling myself that for 10 years. I think it's irrelevant.