IF YOU HAD TO SPLIT DUBSTEP INTO TWO CATEGORIES............

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
darkmatter
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 11:02 pm

Post by darkmatter » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:15 pm

'jumpup' and 'liquid'

ozols man
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 11:52 pm

Post by ozols man » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:17 pm

sigha wrote:I dont think Stenchman was talking about splitting the scene as such...
just that some tunes clearly have a dark vibe...some tunes clearly have a light vibe, and i think he was wondering what tunes you would say fall into that magical ethreal 'in-between' territory.

I listen to alot of music, and would definately agree with the 'good/shit theory' and enjoy the variety of influences you can hear in Dubstep. Inspite of this, I reckon its unrealistic to expect people not to catagorise certain sounds into sub-genres... like it or not, its a natural evolution with any music.
OK DO U WANT TO HEAR THE TRUTH FAM?

>THE MUSIC INDUSTRY IS NASTY<

WOT IT IS IS THE MUSIC INDUSTRY GIVES THE SOUND LABELS AND TRIES TO DIVIDE IT. BECAUSE CLASS IS BASED ON MONEY.

NOW WOT MALA AND ALL THEM HAVE REALISED IS IF THEY CALL IT THEIR FREQUENCY THE CREATIVITY IS JUST GOING TO KEEP ON COMING AND WILL TEAR DOWN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY AND BUILD IT IN A RIGHTEOUS FASHION.

COS THATS WOT THEY REPRESENT ON EARTH. IF U LIKE IT KOOL, IF U DONT MOVE AWAY.

THE MUSIC ISN'T CONTROLLED BY MUSICIANS. ITS CONTROLLED BY BANKS. BANKS RULE THE DARKSIDE U MUST UNDERSTAND THIS NOW. MONEY DOESNT EXIST. LOVE DOES THO ;) AND IF U SHOW LOVE TO EVERYONE THEY WILL SHOW LOVE BACK TO YOU. MONEY COMES AND GOES. THOSE WHO STORE MONEY FOR THEIR OWN PLEASURE ARE THE UNHAPPIEST PEOPLE U MEET. BUT THEYLL PRETEND THEY ARE HAPPY BUT DONT EVER LISTEN TO WOT THEY SAY. JUST ACCEPT IT.

A POSH ACCENT FOR EXAMPLE IS AN EXAMPLE OF SOMEONE WHO LOOKS DOWN ON SOCIETY. THATS WHY I COULD NEVER ADOPT IT WHEN I WAS SENT TO PRIVATE SCHOOL BECAUSE IT CONTRADICTED WHERE I CAME FROM AND WOT MY PURPOSE WAS. SO BASICALLY DUBSTEP JUST "IS" LET IT BE. I GOT MY OWN VARIATION OF DUBSTEP BECAUSE I NOW UNDERSTAND THE FORMULA. THE FORMULA IS "DRUMS" AND "BASS" BECAUSE "DRUMS" & "BASS" IS WOT AFRICA HAS PROVIDED. EUROPE HAS PROVIDED "MELODY" AND DUBSTEP IS AN INCORPORATION OF THESE TWO. THE WORLD HAS FOUND ITS SELF FINALLY!

I HOPE THAT CLEARED IT UP

capro
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:38 pm

Post by capro » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:19 pm

splitting music into categories is why i don't mix DNB very much anymore

as soon as you get tags like Hard Dubstep on flyers, you tell the audience that they can push the scene into the gutter. no enthusiasm, no exploration, and no fun.

ozols man
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 11:52 pm

Post by ozols man » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:24 pm

capro wrote:splitting music into categories is why i don't mix DNB very much anymore

as soon as you get tags like Hard Dubstep on flyers, you tell the audience that they can push the scene into the gutter. no enthusiasm, no exploration, and no fun.
lol do u know wot the wickedest is tho? i got the links to bring the "formula" to the super clubs. i dont do it for money, i do it for love :lol:

gonna be interesing!

ozols man
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 11:52 pm

Post by ozols man » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:26 pm

sigha wrote:I dont think Stenchman was talking about splitting the scene as such...
just that some tunes clearly have a dark vibe...some tunes clearly have a light vibe, and i think he was wondering what tunes you would say fall into that magical ethreal 'in-between' territory.

I listen to alot of music, and would definately agree with the 'good/shit theory' and enjoy the variety of influences you can hear in Dubstep. Inspite of this, I reckon its unrealistic to expect people not to catagorise certain sounds into sub-genres... like it or not, its a natural evolution with any music.
OH YEH ALSO STENCHMAN IS STENCHMAN. DONT LISTEN TO HIS STYLE "REMEMBER" LABELING IS FOR MONEY. LISTEN TO "STENCH MAN" U GET ME. LISTEN TO HIS FREQUENCY. THATS WHY WHEN THE TERM "CHAVS" WAS CREATED BY THE MEDIA I DECIDED TO NEVER SAY IT BECAUSE ITS USED TO PERSECUTE THOSE OF THE GHETTO, WHETHER THEY BE WHITE, BLACK, ASIAN ETC ETC

User avatar
mct
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:59 am
Location: Leicester
Contact:

Post by mct » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:31 pm

dj phonetic wrote:Dont split it, please
let's just split it into 100 sub genres like dnb... oh pleaaaaaaaaaaaase... o.O

:/

slothrop
Posts: 2655
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:59 am

Post by slothrop » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:48 pm

capro wrote:splitting music into categories is why i don't mix DNB very much anymore

as soon as you get tags like Hard Dubstep on flyers, you tell the audience that they can push the scene into the gutter. no enthusiasm, no exploration, and no fun.
Whereas provided we don't actually talk about it, we can pretend that all DJs and promoters are still representing the full breadth of dubstep, from garage to halfstep to minimal to grimey, and people aren't just sticking in their niches anyway.

djg
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:35 pm
Location: san francisco
Contact:

Post by djg » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:49 pm

i wouldn't!

User avatar
moldy
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Post by moldy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:53 pm

Goosebumps or no goosebumps.

User avatar
pandaia
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:10 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Post by pandaia » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:54 pm

moldy wrote:Goosebumps or no goosebumps.
good call molds. I blame this thread on Reso, btw. Everything's always his fault. Punk, with his meat and cheese vending machines and deceptacon sneakers.

capro
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:38 pm

Post by capro » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:01 pm

Slothrop wrote:
capro wrote:splitting music into categories is why i don't mix DNB very much anymore

as soon as you get tags like Hard Dubstep on flyers, you tell the audience that they can push the scene into the gutter. no enthusiasm, no exploration, and no fun.
Whereas provided we don't actually talk about it, we can pretend that all DJs and promoters are still representing the full breadth of dubstep, from garage to halfstep to minimal to grimey, and people aren't just sticking in their niches anyway.
of course they don't, but having everything under one banner lets me do so more easily and that's why i love it...

once you give the consumer expectations, things become linear real quick no matter what branch you belong to.

slothrop
Posts: 2655
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:59 am

Post by slothrop » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:20 pm

capro wrote:
Slothrop wrote:
capro wrote:splitting music into categories is why i don't mix DNB very much anymore

as soon as you get tags like Hard Dubstep on flyers, you tell the audience that they can push the scene into the gutter. no enthusiasm, no exploration, and no fun.
Whereas provided we don't actually talk about it, we can pretend that all DJs and promoters are still representing the full breadth of dubstep, from garage to halfstep to minimal to grimey, and people aren't just sticking in their niches anyway.
of course they don't, but having everything under one banner lets me do so more easily and that's why i love it...

once you give the consumer expectations, things become linear real quick no matter what branch you belong to.
But at the moment a lot of consumers do have expectations for dubstep and those expectations are that it'll have heavy midrange riffing and aggro and a halfstep beat and not sound too girly. I guess I'm not talking about subgenres so much as a super-genre, so you can tell people what you play and they'll know you mean all sorts of dubstep and not just the subset of it that a lot of people these days seem to associate with the word. It was kind of different when most dubstep DJs did cover the whole range because then people didn't build up that narrow definition based on most of the stuff they initially heard being from the same side of the scene.

Sorry, this is an uber derail.

User avatar
blizzardmusic
Posts: 4819
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Post by blizzardmusic » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:28 pm

Prk and wobble.
EASY question.
Soundcloud
If you like jungle / drum and bass you'll like the above! ;)
diss04 wrote:
Pistonsbeneath wrote:no mention of blizzard?
who?
Facebook: facebook.com/blizzarddubs
Twitter: twitter.com/iamblizzard

capro
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:38 pm

Post by capro » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Slothrop wrote: But at the moment a lot of consumers do have expectations for dubstep and those expectations are that it'll have heavy midrange riffing and aggro and a halfstep beat and not sound too girly. I guess I'm not talking about subgenres so much as a super-genre, so you can tell people what you play and they'll know you mean all sorts of dubstep and not just the subset of it that a lot of people these days seem to associate with the word. It was kind of different when most dubstep DJs did cover the whole range because then people didn't build up that narrow definition based on most of the stuff they initially heard being from the same side of the scene.

Sorry, this is an uber derail.
i guess it's how you see it... they're still selling a lot of different sounds in the shops.

i just don't want some grimey teenager coming up to the DJ booth with his or her boxed up demands because they sound official...

it's always going to be fine to do your own thing, but the market loves division and that's what kills the enthusiasm for me.

slothrop
Posts: 2655
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:59 am

Post by slothrop » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:36 pm

Yeah, I'm probably being too negative, I've just read a lot of sweeping dismissals of dubstep (from critics who I've got some respect for) as 'all miserable teenage aggro music' or whatever recently and got annoyed with repeatedly shouting "go and listen to Mala or Shackleton or Kode 9 you berk!" at the monitor...

Geiom's another good one who keeps a foot in both camps regardless of what you think those camps are, imo.

ozols man
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 11:52 pm

Post by ozols man » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:39 pm

capro wrote:
Slothrop wrote: But at the moment a lot of consumers do have expectations for dubstep and those expectations are that it'll have heavy midrange riffing and aggro and a halfstep beat and not sound too girly. I guess I'm not talking about subgenres so much as a super-genre, so you can tell people what you play and they'll know you mean all sorts of dubstep and not just the subset of it that a lot of people these days seem to associate with the word. It was kind of different when most dubstep DJs did cover the whole range because then people didn't build up that narrow definition based on most of the stuff they initially heard being from the same side of the scene.

Sorry, this is an uber derail.
i just don't want some grimey teenager coming up to the DJ booth with his or her boxed up demands because they sound official...
remember tho my friend. when a child of the ghetto asks for something make sure u give it to them unconditionally. thats why i never felt guilty asking for requests no matter wot the selector thinks of me lol :twisted:

capro
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:38 pm

Post by capro » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:40 pm

Slothrop wrote:Yeah, I'm probably being too negative, I've just read a lot of sweeping dismissals of dubstep (from critics who I've got some respect for) as 'all miserable teenage aggro music' or whatever recently and got annoyed with repeatedly shouting "go and listen to Mala or Shackleton or Kode 9 you berk!" at the monitor...

Geiom's another good one who keeps a foot in both camps regardless of what you think those camps are, imo.
good points though, although yeah i think ppl should put more effort into searching out DJs and producers instead of using sublabels to find music.

i guess i'm just trying to avoid history repeating itself, coming outta 10 years of Jungle to DNB.

capro
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:38 pm

Post by capro » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:44 pm

ozols man wrote: remember tho my friend. when a child of the ghetto asks for something make sure u give it to them unconditionally. thats why i never felt guilty asking for requests no matter wot the selector thinks of me lol :twisted:
:lol:

requests are cool for any kind of tunes, but not your format

holik
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: pori

Post by holik » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:27 pm

capro wrote:
ozols man wrote: remember tho my friend. when a child of the ghetto asks for something make sure u give it to them unconditionally. thats why i never felt guilty asking for requests no matter wot the selector thinks of me lol :twisted:
:lol:

requests are cool for any kind of tunes, but not your format
a long long time ago when i dj´d on the regular(jazz,funk,hip-hop mostly) i got quite a few requests. i filled one, because it was good. the rest i told to fuck right off to the next bar with a jukebox in it.

pretty much all the good ones obviously have a foot in both "camps".
and imho a lot of dubstep is teenage angst music. nothing wrong with that.
there is so much more in life though.
bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity

ct&d
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: W.London/Prague
Contact:

Post by ct&d » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:06 pm

dj phonetic wrote:Dont split it, please
yes thank you...jst leave it alone, who cares what people think coz almost every artist is pulling his own kinda sounds...allow the name,its good :P
west is best!

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 10 guests