Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Worlds highest paid dubstep DJ is...

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows

Postby dirty » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:45 pm

Chef wrote:How longs a piece of string.
UndergroundSoundz on SUB.FM every other Monday 10pm - 12
Download Latest Show HERE
MYSPACE
dirty

Postby beatkingz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:57 pm

DJ Heny.G wrote:Threads like this will make me stay away from dis forum, it could only be sum1 that's signed up recently (jan 2008) that could come up with a thread like this, no disrespect tho that person, but i feel this thread is an insult to dj's who work hard in the scene!

I somewhat agree heny, but if its a neutral stated question i would think that it doesnt hurt to talk about the truth ?

Its not like the techno scene where a dj is askin 250,000 for an hours set ? Even if so, im sure they arent ashamed to talk about it...as they sure arent ashamed to be cashin them checks...in my opinion the kid that posted this topic was just asking questions to which he would never know the answer to (thats why he asked...)

no harm no foul meant :)
beatkingz

Postby spaniard » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:05 pm

Whatever dj's get is fully deserved they are the ones producing the tunes and making the scene what it is. At first dj's probably started playing for free but why shouldnt they get paid. You shouldnt be asking or speculating though cause dubstep isnt about the money but about the music and people who appreciate it. Would you ask a randomer how much they earn?
spaniard

Postby jonnyrebel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:07 pm

every now and then I get a little bit ,usually free drinks. Ive paid muchos dollar for someone but thats none of your business cos it was a painful experience..... didnt care in the end cos i wanted to do it and he smashed it anyway.

Im quite glad this thread has gone the way its gone btw, lets keep the scene about the music rather than braggin or complaining about stupid shit like this.
jonnyrebel

Postby MARCHMELLOW » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:18 pm

I don't see the big issue, its an interesting subject, and i'm sure the creator of this thread did not mean to somehow offend people ( really don't get how ). its just interesting !

I for 1 , like most, will DJ for free!
www.soundcloud.com/marchmellowuk

Dub & Run Records/Phreaks of Nature/Wicky Lindows/BassPunch Records/Tsunami Audio/ Love Sick Records.
MARCHMELLOW

Postby jonnyrebel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:22 pm

its down to the djs to decide whether they disclose anything but fyi a forum aint the place. If you wanna know how much someone is gettin for a gig ring the fucking agency and get a quote.
jonnyrebel

Postby epithet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:36 pm

I really don't see what the big deal is and i'm not being rude or ugly just curious. Whats so insulting about wanting to know how much a club pays and in comparison to other places around the world ? Its not like i am asking what promoters have actually paid or the walk home pay of a top DJ after tax, agent fees and overheads like dubplate cutting etc. Its not a loaded question and there is no malice in my motive or intent. If this thread or my question offends then don't say anything and just leave it at that.

My point with seckle was, as a mod he should know better cos frankly one word just comes off lazy and antagonistic. Qualify your opinion or dont say anything. Much respect to those who answered the question in the manner it was intended and to the rest i leave you with air. Breathe it in, it's good for you.

I would imagine though that if the fee is not determined by the club, then Dj's must have a sliding scale according to where they play. For instance surely you couldn't ask the same for playing in NZ with its tiny scene and dubsteps low profile thus not getting punters through the doors so you couldn't charge heaps for a ticket but maybe in some european countries you could ?
epithet
Permanent Vacation

Postby skream » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:48 pm

BeatKingz wrote:ive heard of Dubstep dj's (which i wont name) requesting over 5,000 £ for a 1 hour new years eve set in California...respect if they can pull those kind of funds...

i know who your talkin about and it wasnt him/them who asked for that fee it was there agent
skream
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Postby epithet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:56 pm

I heard about a gig here in NZ that got turned down because the promoters didnt want to deal with an agent despite the fee being exactly the same if the DJ had negotiated the fee himself.

Agents hmmm ? Are they a neccesary evil ?
epithet
Permanent Vacation

Postby amitg » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:04 pm

Some of the top dubstep DJs get paid enought to do it professionally- and deservedly so. They've pioneered a scene that is truly global- and should be rewarded accordingly once they take the plunge and go at it full time.

Agents are often more likely to take a booking outside london/ UK rather than inside, but its understandable- you want as much exposure for your artist as possible. Alot of agents are very reasonable though- I'm sure they will certain clubs/ festivals full fee- but in my experience they're very open to doing discounts for events where the budget simply isnt there. In fact some have been absolutely quality in this sense

And hold tight all the DJs still doing their bookings direct- serious amounts of organisation to be done!
Last edited by amitg on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amitg

Postby horse » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:09 pm

i dj cuz i love doing it
end of.

ive never been paid for it and never asked for money for doing it either
---
MY DESIGN WEBSITE > IAMTHESLEEPWALKER.COM
MY TUMBLR BLOG > IAMTHESLEEPWALKER.TUMBLR
horse

Postby pete_bubonic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:13 pm

It's interesting that a lot of the people who are fine with answering the question or not catching offence are people in the same post state 'I would play for free'.

This isn't a diss. I only stopped playing for free recently because I simply couldn't afford to keep doing it otherwise.

The point is, the people who are getting paid regularly (or depend on that as their income) take this seriously and don't want their incomes bandied around internet forums for the likes of any opinionated guy to judge them or start hassling. I understand that completely.

If you are genuinely interested talk to your friends who are getting paid for it (that's what I did to understand better what I should ask for), not on an internet forum where someone's personal business ain't going to become the talking point for any random. IMO it shows disrespect to those who put their heart and soul into production/djing/performance, largely for pennies.
pete_bubonic
Admin

Postby gravious » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:23 pm

epithet wrote:I would imagine though that if the fee is not determined by the club, then Dj's must have a sliding scale according to where they play. For instance surely you couldn't ask the same for playing in NZ with its tiny scene and dubsteps low profile thus not getting punters through the doors so you couldn't charge heaps for a ticket but maybe in some european countries you could ?

Whilst the title of this thread is pretty daft, and on reflection was always gonna stir up some resentment, I see the question you're asking.

I'd be very surprised if a bigger name DJ would get paid even half as much for a gig in the Antipodes, Eastern Europe, or wherever compared to playing a UK superclub. Its surely all gonna depend on size of club, promoter, amount of other costs.

I mean if DJ X decided to set his/her booking fee flat at £700, they probably aren't gonna many bookings from places where there are smaller scenes or expensive air-fares.
I mean, if you run a small-ish night in NZ, you aren't gonna want to pay 700 plus 400 for flights and 50odd for a hotel if you are only gonna get in 100 punters, even if you charge £10 per head.
In the long term, this might mean that DJ X is less likely to be doing better paid gigs in larger clubs in NZ a few years down the line, because he/she hasn't promoted themselves or made contacts in that area.

Just economics really. Whether that comes into play with everyone i don't know.

And I know its been said before, but if you are really interested, phone the agency and get a quote!
gravious
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Postby ufo over easy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:28 pm

dunno about that gravious, i'd always assumed djs got paid more the further afield they had to go - it's way more time out of your life doing gigs in europe or the us than in your home country.
:d:
ufo over easy

Postby billy blanks » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:30 pm

pete bubonic wrote:It's interesting that a lot of the people who are fine with answering the question or not catching offence are people in the same post state 'I would play for free'.

This isn't a diss. I only stopped playing for free recently because I simply couldn't afford to keep doing it otherwise.

The point is, the people who are getting paid regularly (or depend on that as their income) take this seriously and don't want their incomes bandied around internet forums for the likes of any opinionated guy to judge them or start hassling. I understand that completely.

If you are genuinely interested talk to your friends who are getting paid for it (that's what I did to understand better what I should ask for), not on an internet forum where someone's personal business ain't going to become the talking point for any random. IMO it shows disrespect to those who put their heart and soul into production/djing/performance, largely for pennies.

pete, what you say is applicable and certainly holds true when questions are being asked about the fees that specific dj's ask for for an hour. such questions, like you say, are inappropriate.

however, IF say, in general its observed that a region such as london has a premium on dj fees relative to other areas, i think it is interesting to look at how such differences interact and co-vary with other aspects of club nights. do such differences filter down and affect say line-ups one way or the other, frequency of nights, type of flyers, vibe/atmosphere at nights, a given dj's selection once he/she is booked, and so on...i dont think deliberating about these sorts of things are intrusive, well i dont think they should be considered so anyway. i'm not even arguing one way or the other, i just thing its healthy to discuss.
[url=http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=44371]
br u k b r uk b ruk [/url]
billy blanks

Postby epithet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks gravious but i have no intention of getting into promotion or care enough to make enquiries as to what the current name DJ's get and even if i did i wouldn't put it up for all and sundry.

Heh daft title but it made you look :wink:

I think most DJ's come to NZ by way of Oz and it's basically a working holiday for them. Maybe some do see it as seeding for the future but i doubt if they'd get paid anywhere near as much here as they would even in oz and definitely not in europe. Dunno really.

Based on what little it seems DJ's get i doubt if one could as a journeyman DJ work their way around the world unless though contacts made here and crashing on couches doing it for free. You'd need the profile and that would depend on stuff like dubs, releases, previous big gigs, an agent etc
epithet
Permanent Vacation

Postby pete_bubonic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:43 pm

billy blanks wrote:
pete bubonic wrote:It's interesting that a lot of the people who are fine with answering the question or not catching offence are people in the same post state 'I would play for free'.

pete, what you say is applicable and certainly holds true when questions are being asked about the fees that specific dj's ask for for an hour. such questions, like you say, are inappropriate.

however, IF say, in general its observed that a region such as london has a premium on dj fees relative to other areas, i think it is interesting to look at how such differences interact and co-vary with other aspects of club nights. do such differences filter down and affect say line-ups one way or the other, frequency of nights, type of flyers, vibe/atmosphere at nights, a given dj's selection once he/she is booked, and so on...i dont think deliberating about these sorts of things are intrusive, well i dont think they should be considered so anyway. i'm not even arguing one way or the other, i just thing its healthy to discuss.

I agree, the original post named specific nights and a few people seem to want exact figures for named people. Which for me, doesn't rub right.

Inevitably, like most businesses a lot of it depends on size/popularity of a night and what expected break even points are. Thankfully this is not the be all or end all or I would probably never get booked. lol. If anything I have noticed that it depends solely on the promoter, how willing they are to take risks, how much money they earn in their day job's and most importantly, who they know.

The big name dj's I know will definitely charge less for mates' nights or local nights. And if they're really nice guys (or like me, needing every set they can get) chances are if you can speak to them direct or have an honest word with their agent, you will get a decent price for the big names.

Again, this is, imo obviously, something that shouldn't be discussed in public, because prices can vary quite a bit and advertising prices for specifics is only going to cause friction.
pete_bubonic
Admin

Postby Jennifer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:40 pm

skream wrote:
BeatKingz wrote:ive heard of Dubstep dj's (which i wont name) requesting over 5,000 £ for a 1 hour new years eve set in California...respect if they can pull those kind of funds...

i know who your talkin about and it wasnt him/them who asked for that fee it was there agent

After the exchange rate, that's nearly 10 grand. ridiculous!

even before the exchange rate it's ridiculous, though. :o :o
Jennifer

Postby jonnyrebel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:45 pm

skream wrote:

Doesnt surprise me, I got loads of bullshit off a certain agency and ended up paying for a hotel that wasnt even needed on top of the fee for the dj andsoundsystem. Im farely sure the dj in question (who was an absolute legend at the night) only got half of what i payed too.
jonnyrebel

Postby jonnyrebel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:51 pm

btw question to any of the big name djs reading this, what is your opinion on the agencies handling the fees etc? Do you get a say in how much you want to charge, especially when it comes to smaller venues/nights? Is it actually possible now days to go directly through the dj and if your doing a night for a friend does the agency still take a cut?
jonnyrebel

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion