Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Worlds highest paid dubstep DJ is...

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows

Postby dub boy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:23 pm

Interesting read....

The net is not the place to discuss dj fee's tho.

One thing promoters can all agree on is agents are money grabbing c**nts I know its their job to do that but they are unneccessary middle men who earn their cash for doin very little. I hate dealing with them but they seem unavoidable alot of the time.

It was good when dubstep was smaller a few years ago and u could talk to artists direct.

Ive had tried to book artists to play which have fallen through cos the agents have been so difficult to deal with. The artists have wanted to play and the gig would be good for them but their agents have priced them out of it.

For example I see Mala & Skream are playing loads of Student Union gigs these days :lol: Probably cos they're the only promoters who can afford them now (apart from nights who are personally mates with said artists and get mates rates deals Or the big clubs with big budgets... Fabric etc)
dub boy

Postby seckle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:13 pm

epithet wrote:
seckle wrote:ugly.

Mods or admin shouldn't have an opinion unless it's qualified. IMHO.

IMHO, this thread is ugly. it's insulting.

it's insulting that you'd bring up money , when nearly everyone in this scene is doing things for the love of the music.

this is basic business savvy here. would you walk into a crowded pub and stand up and ask everyone how much they make?

lol at qualified opinions.
seckle
Admin

Postby Juan BassHead » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:17 pm

I am the worlds highest paid dubstep dj. mystery solved.
Juan BassHead

Postby slothrop » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:27 pm

seckle wrote:
epithet wrote:
seckle wrote:ugly.

Mods or admin shouldn't have an opinion unless it's qualified. IMHO.

IMHO, this thread is ugly. it's insulting.

it's insulting that you'd bring up money , when nearly everyone in this scene is doing things for the love of the music.

this is basic business savvy here. would you walk into a crowded pub and stand up and ask everyone how much they make?

lol at qualified opinions.

Seems like a bit of a storm in a teacup, though. I mean, noone's going through anyone's bins, noone's raiding Ammunition HQ and seizing their accounts.

I guess if you don't know much about the nuts and bolts of promoting it's fair enough to be curious about how it works, and one of the questions about how it works is whether the DJ's get a packet of digestive biscuits plus their bus fare home or whether they get £50000, a room at the ritz, coke, hookers etc etc. Not neccessarily details and names and amounts, but a ballpark figure is kind of interesting. Plus, if people like Skream or Benga is making a living at it (or even living in mansions and driving gold plated ferraris) then it's kind of nice to know because they've put in a shitload of work and graft for the love of it, and if the scene is strong enough that they're doing well out of it too then that's something to celebrate imo.
slothrop

Postby seckle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Slothrop wrote:it's fair enough to be curious about how it works,

sure, but there's about ten better ways to go about doing it in a respectful and tactful way.
seckle
Admin

Postby seckle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:49 pm

epithet wrote:My point with seckle was, as a mod he should know better cos frankly one word just comes off lazy and antagonistic. Qualify your opinion or dont say anything.

yes, because epithet can say anything he wants to anyone and it can be ugly and unqualified, right? i just want to be clear about this.
seckle
Admin

Postby stanton » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:02 pm

Slothrop wrote:Seems like a bit of a storm in a teacup.

Quite, but if you look at when Seckle said that it made sense, the apparent point of teh thread hadn't been made at all clear at that point and it did just seem to be about cash. The mods are here to make sure this remains a useful, plesant and inclusive community, producers/DJs/Listeners alike, it's waste when exceptionally argumentative people get all worked up about them, they do a hell of a lot more for the community than most people on here (both on the site and in reality). If people want to argue pointlessly then there are threads about dubstep genealogy, wobble, breakstep and drugs.

This isn't addressed to you Slothrop, just a rant in general, sorry to use your quote as a jumping off point.

Anyhooo, pub time!

Laters, Stannoooooooo
Bass Master General
stanton

Postby stenchman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:07 pm

money is evil, look how its made u all argue. At the end of the day i see the positive and negative in this thread, there was a good enuff reason he was asking (to find out if it would b viable travelling around dj'ing) maybe a request for a pm would have been a bit more subtle but u cant hate for his curiousity. As someone without an agent myself id quite like to know what other ppl charge to see if i am being unreasonale in my quotes or selling myself short, as a rule of thumb tho i normally just add up how much it will cost for travel, a hotel if i need, and enuff to get me fucking smashed! obvs in an ideal world we would all do it for free for the love of the music, but the fact of the matter is that money does make the world go round, and not all of us can afford to run at a loss while djing, i dont expect to become rich off dubstep but would like a little bit of money now n then for the hard work i put in, u may think im a twat but im just giving my honest opinion on a subject that has already caused a bit too much kerfuffle
stenchman

Postby blizzardmusic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:10 pm

You should be grateful that your being booked and having a chance to expose yourself to people following this kind of music. I DJ for free normally, because I don't DJ all the time.
http://soundcloud.com/theblizzardproject/sets/blizzard-soundbwoy-ep
If you like jungle / drum and bass you'll like the above! ;)

diss04 wrote:
Pistonsbeneath wrote:no mention of blizzard?

who?

Facebook: facebook.com/blizzarddubs
Twitter: twitter.com/iamblizzard
blizzardmusic

Postby shonky » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:15 pm

I thought everyone just dj'd to get chicks, drugs and dollars. Woah talk about projection :o
Hmm....

shonky

Postby gravious » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:28 pm

Shonky wrote:I got paid £100 on new years eve, taxi to and from the venue and free booze and drugs all evening (and god knows I caned that hospitality).

I think that its safe to say we have now answered the question in the thread title:

Shonky is the worlds' highest paid DJ.

Doesn't matter if they only pay you a tenner as long as you're high as fuck! Yeeehaw

Now lets lock this mother and go home...
gravious
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Postby blizzardmusic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:28 pm

gravious wrote:
Shonky wrote:I got paid £100 on new years eve, taxi to and from the venue and free booze and drugs all evening (and god knows I caned that hospitality).

I think that its safe to say we have now answered the question in the thread title:

Shonky is the worlds' highest paid DJ.

Doesn't matter if they only pay you a tenner as long as you're high as fuck! Yeeehaw

Now lets lock this mother and go home...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://soundcloud.com/theblizzardproject/sets/blizzard-soundbwoy-ep
If you like jungle / drum and bass you'll like the above! ;)

diss04 wrote:
Pistonsbeneath wrote:no mention of blizzard?

who?

Facebook: facebook.com/blizzarddubs
Twitter: twitter.com/iamblizzard
blizzardmusic

Postby plastician » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:30 pm

Not really a nice thread.

And people shouldn't knock agents - they do a lot more for the artists than a lot of people would know about.

At the end of the day they're there to help, and deserve to earn their percentage if they do a good job in my opinion.

Don't like this topic very much.
Plastician can now be heard LIVE on Rinse FM every Sunday 9pm til 11pm

Click here to listen live to Rinse: http://relay.exequo.org/rinseradio

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/plastician
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/djplastician

Taking a lot of the flak, and a little of the plaudits is part of what I'm all about.....
plastician
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Postby shonky » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:33 pm

gravious wrote:Doesn't matter if they only pay you a tenner as long as you're high as fuck! Yeeehaw

QFT

8)
Hmm....

shonky

Postby selector.dub.u » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:34 pm

Dub boy wrote:Interesting read....

The net is not the place to discuss dj fee's tho.

One thing promoters can all agree on is agents are money grabbing c**nts I know its their job to do that but they are unneccessary middle men who earn their cash for doin very little. I hate dealing with them but they seem unavoidable alot of the time.

It was good when dubstep was smaller a few years ago and u could talk to artists direct.

Ive had tried to book artists to play which have fallen through cos the agents have been so difficult to deal with. The artists have wanted to play and the gig would be good for them but their agents have priced them out of it.

For example I see Mala & Skream are playing loads of Student Union gigs these days :lol: Probably cos they're the only promoters who can afford them now (apart from nights who are personally mates with said artists and get mates rates deals Or the big clubs with big budgets... Fabric etc)

Not all agents are c*nts.
Roundabout Sounds
Soundcloud
selector.dub.u

Postby selector.dub.u » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:35 pm

Shonky wrote:I thought everyone just dj'd to get chicks, drugs and dollars. Woah talk about projection :o

:lol:
Roundabout Sounds
Soundcloud
selector.dub.u

Postby dubble » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:35 pm

Probably best thing wasn't to ask here.

Best thing you could do would be to get in contact with the agencies with regards to a certain DJ/producer and they normally ask you what your budget is and they tell you who you could get for example.
dubble

Postby shonky » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:38 pm

selector.dub.u wrote:
Shonky wrote:I thought everyone just dj'd to get chicks, drugs and dollars. Woah talk about projection :o

Oh so it's not just me :D
Hmm....

shonky

Postby selector.dub.u » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:39 pm

dubble wrote:Probably best thing wasn't to ask here.

Best thing you could do would be to get in contact with the agencies with regards to a certain DJ/producer and they normally ask you what your budget is and they tell you who you could get for example.

A good agent would prob want to know if it is a legitimate query or not before getting into a discussion of fees. It seems that some people have no idea what agents have to deal with especially with the more well known artists.
Last edited by selector.dub.u on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roundabout Sounds
Soundcloud
selector.dub.u

Postby selector.dub.u » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:41 pm

Shonky wrote:
selector.dub.u wrote:

Oh so it's not just me :D

yeah that was what I wanted from music when i started playing drums @ 6 years old :)

I saw keith moon on some video clips when i was younger-- and said- THIS!- is what i want to be when i grow up.
Roundabout Sounds
Soundcloud
selector.dub.u

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion