Worlds highest paid dubstep DJ is...

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
kuma

Post by kuma » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:43 pm

selector.dub.u wrote:
A good agent would prob want to know if it is a legitimate query or not before getting into a discussion of fees. It seems that many people have no idea what agents have to deal with especially with more well known artists.
The Konspiracy Group: Fighting For Electronic Music Since 2000
http://www.thekonspiracygroup.com
Beats: http://www.soundcloud.com/kuma
TKG008: Kuma - "Onlyeverfwd" Out Now
TKG005: Kuma- "What It's Not" ft Juakali, Amalia and Grievous Angel: Out Now
TKG004: Sharmaji vs Kuma: Radha Prepares/Luminescent Remixes: Soon

provost

Post by provost » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:59 pm

Dub boy wrote:Interesting read....

The net is not the place to discuss dj fee's tho.
agreed,

but for some reason this thread feels awkward and disrespectful: djs are not hoes, they're artists. their fee should remain a private transaction between the artist and the promoter and the fee itself should be based on the specific individual performance in question.

it's really up to the dj to decide how much he or she would like to be paid for their time and effort. they obviously take into account things like "how far do i have to travel? how long am i gonna play for? etc" but should also take into account things like how much a certain gig will boost their profile or help them further, give them a chance to work with other producers or promoter in the future, for example.
Dub boy wrote:One thing promoters can all agree on is agents are money grabbing c**nts I know its their job to do that but they are unneccessary middle men who earn their cash for doin very little. I hate dealing with them but they seem unavoidable alot of the time.
disagree entirely

good agents earn their fees through good honest work - their job is to make both the promoter's and the artist's lives easier by ensuring that the artist gets to the show on time and without delay. agents have to build relationships with promoter's to get their artists repeat bookings but also have to protect them from shady wanna-be promoters who don't know how to run or properly organise an event

also, agents are not pimps! at the end of the day, it's the artist who decides how much their fee should be for any particular gig.

the best agents work hard for their people e.g booking last-minute replacement flights when the T5 disaster happens, chasing embassies all day for visas, making sure a stand-in dj arrives if someone falls sick etc etc

the best promoters imo are the ones who realise this and do their best to look after the artists they book. if the artist enjoys himself, you can be sure he'll tell his agent and his mates too. he'll want to be booked again, he may even consider taking that gig over something less interesting that may pay more.

it sound like you've had a bad experience somewhere along the line but you shouldn't let it cloud your outlook - if you do, you'll end up missing out
when you should be trying postively to work with the agents and not avoid them

provost

Post by provost » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:01 pm

btw hi :D

i've been lurking for ages but felt sufficiently motivated to make a first post and, hopefully, a positive contribution

Jubz

Post by Jubz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:02 pm

gravious wrote:
Shonky wrote:I got paid £100 on new years eve, taxi to and from the venue and free booze and drugs all evening (and god knows I caned that hospitality).
I think that its safe to say we have now answered the question in the thread title:

Shonky is the worlds' highest paid DJ.

Doesn't matter if they only pay you a tenner as long as you're high as fuck! Yeeehaw

Now lets lock this mother and go home...
You are a king among men.

seckle

Post by seckle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:07 pm

agents protect everyone involved. when there's reputations on the line, you want a third party to be the buffer, not to mention that signed contract's are a legal document.

reputation is everything in the music business. people will always remember a shady transaction before they remember a smoothly handled one. imo, the commission you pay/lose to an agency is smart money.

bob crunkhouse

Post by bob crunkhouse » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:14 pm

Agents are a mixed bag in my experience. All the one who look after the big names in dubstep & grime are cool though. Very reliable (even if the artist aren't:D) and will help you however they can if your working to a deadline.

Provost is spot on too, be nice to your dj's and they'll wanna come back, its not rocket science. We've had nearly all the dubstep gang down and not one has come across as money hungry, arrogant etc..
Square Roots

Plastician, Tempa T, Joy Orbison @ Audio, Brighton - September 4th

The Field (Live) + Support @ Audio, Brighton - November 11th

DMZ in Brighton - Mala/Loefah/Pokes @ Audio, Brighton - November 13th

selector.dub.u

Post by selector.dub.u » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:14 pm

provost wrote:

agreed,

but for some reason this thread feels awkward and disrespectful: djs are not hoes, they're artists. their fee should remain a private transaction between the artist and the promoter and the fee itself should be based on the specific individual performance in question.

it's really up to the dj to decide how much he or she would like to be paid for their time and effort. they obviously take into account things like "how far do i have to travel? how long am i gonna play for? etc" but should also take into account things like how much a certain gig will boost their profile or help them further, give them a chance to work with other producers or promoter in the future, for example.
Dub boy wrote:One thing promoters can all agree on is agents are money grabbing c**nts I know its their job to do that but they are unneccessary middle men who earn their cash for doin very little. I hate dealing with them but they seem unavoidable alot of the time.
disagree entirely

good agents earn their fees through good honest work - their job is to make both the promoter's and the artist's lives easier by ensuring that the artist gets to the show on time and without delay. agents have to build relationships with promoter's to get their artists repeat bookings but also have to protect them from shady wanna-be promoters who don't know how to run or properly organise an event

also, agents are not pimps! at the end of the day, it's the artist who decides how much their fee should be for any particular gig.

the best agents work hard for their people e.g booking last-minute replacement flights when the T5 disaster happens, chasing embassies all day for visas, making sure a stand-in dj arrives if someone falls sick etc etc

the best promoters imo are the ones who realise this and do their best to look after the artists they book. if the artist enjoys himself, you can be sure he'll tell his agent and his mates too. he'll want to be booked again, he may even consider taking that gig over something less interesting that may pay more.

it sound like you've had a bad experience somewhere along the line but you shouldn't let it cloud your outlook - if you do, you'll end up missing out
This
Roundabout Sounds
Soundcloud

jonnyrebel

Post by jonnyrebel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:19 pm

Stenchman wrote:money is evil, look how its made u all argue. At the end of the day i see the positive and negative in this thread, there was a good enuff reason he was asking (to find out if it would b viable travelling around dj'ing) maybe a request for a pm would have been a bit more subtle but u cant hate for his curiousity. As someone without an agent myself id quite like to know what other ppl charge to see if i am being unreasonale in my quotes or selling myself short, as a rule of thumb tho i normally just add up how much it will cost for travel, a hotel if i need, and enuff to get me fucking smashed! obvs in an ideal world we would all do it for free for the love of the music, but the fact of the matter is that money does make the world go round, and not all of us can afford to run at a loss while djing, i dont expect to become rich off dubstep but would like a little bit of money now n then for the hard work i put in, u may think im a twat but im just giving my honest opinion on a subject that has already caused a bit too much kerfuffle
Stench, when jman put on that night in deal i heard nothing but good things about you bruv, lol big ups!

press

Post by press » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:22 pm

cure wrote:1 Million Ameros.....
so whats that a couple quid? lol...but :cry:
Shift./Onset/Requiem/Gamma/Paradise Lost/Sub Pressure/Gradient/WattHZ/2012/Rottun/Kursed/Betamorph
Soundcloud

dub boy

Post by dub boy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:25 pm

Plastician wrote:Not really a nice thread.

And people shouldn't knock agents - they do a lot more for the artists than a lot of people would know about.

At the end of the day they're there to help, and deserve to earn their percentage if they do a good job in my opinion.

Don't like this topic very much.
Yes my post earlier was unfair. Reading back on it It was quite a stupid post on my behalf because it's unfair. Ive worked with many agents over the years and most have been very easy to deal with. I think the negative experiences ive had were clouding my judgement earlier.

Some agents are fine to work with and are no problems at all, some are arseholes. That's the case for people in all professions and all walks of life. To single out booking agents was unfair of me.

I was in a bad mood earlier and basically spewed off in this thread. Silly thing to do on my part.

Apologies and i genuinely hope i havnt offended any agents reading this. I guess you were just the easiest target when i was having a rant.

I always try and avoid being negative on internet forums and have let myself down here.

My bad

shtrofuké

Post by shtrofuké » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:53 pm

And the moral of the story is that Epithet needs a nice agent for his world journey!

Pistonsbeneath

Post by Pistonsbeneath » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:55 pm

DJ Heny.G wrote:Threads like this will make me stay away from dis forum, it could only be sum1 that's signed up recently (jan 2008) that could come up with a thread like this, no disrespect tho that person, but i feel this thread is an insult to dj's who work hard in the scene!
i don't see how that works at all
http://www.mixcloud.com/garethom/night-tracks-040-pistonsbeneath-guest-mix/

Soundcloud

BUY PISTONSBENEATH 24TH CENTURY EP CDS & DIGITAL

THREAD FOR MY GETDARKER SETS W/ YOUTUBE LINKS, ITUNES & DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINKS

SCA MIX

HEDMUK MIX

bookings - verity at subcultureartists.com

stenchman

Post by stenchman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:43 pm

provost wrote:

agreed,

disagree entirely

I THINK THIS MAN NEEDS A BIG UP FOR HIS 1st POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well spoken and then some, also dunno if im bein stupid, but is it standard procedure for an agent to sort out a lift to the gig for u then?

jaybird

Post by jaybird » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:46 pm

how do you get an agent?.. I've wanted to know for years now..
--
Lo Dubs Recordings - Pure Filth - Dubstep Riddim
http://www.djjaybird.com

maximus

Post by maximus » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:56 pm

provost has got it right

epithet
Permanent Vacation

Post by epithet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:07 pm

seckle wrote:
epithet wrote:
seckle wrote:ugly.
Mods or admin shouldn't have an opinion unless it's qualified. IMHO.
it's insulting that you'd bring up money , when nearly everyone in this scene is doing things for the love of the music.

this is basic business savvy here. would you walk into a crowded pub and stand up and ask everyone how much they make?

epithet can say anything he wants to anyone and it can be ugly and unqualified, right? i just want to be clear about this.
See that wasnt so hard now was it ?

As for your question. No but i'd go to the barstaff and ask whats it like paywise working here as opposed to the pub down the road, do you get more for working an evening shift and could i expect to travel around the world based on bar wages.

Yeh bro i can say what i want . Im not a mod and don't have to uphold standards or set examples as you should. So dry your eye mate :P

Once again thanks to all who have shared i've learnt some things and i'm sure others have too. To the DJ's i 'm sorry if it offends and you don't like the topic but it seems times is changing and dubstep is getting bigger so it might pay to think about fees relative to the love of music and where you're playing and if you don't or cant deal with the money shit in private or public then get an agent who can.

I make no apologies for the thread title or manner in which i present myself so TAKE IT EASY BUT TAKE IT ALL :wink:

juliun_c90

Post by juliun_c90 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:30 pm

if you want to find out it's easy enough- just call up some agents. not that mysterious really. i'm sure someone further up these 7 or so pages suggested that but i can't be arsed to read.

i don't thinnk this is taboo by the way- giving it all the "we're all in it for the good of the scene" mouth is frankly bullshit. if you've ever booked some of these people or played alongside them then you'll know it don't happen for free (and nor should it). and that's not to say that anybody who charges has no integrity. an artist should be able to make a living.

epithet
Permanent Vacation

Post by epithet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:36 pm

juliun_c90 wrote:if you want to find out it's easy enough- just call up some agents. not that mysterious really. i'm sure someone further up these 7 or so pages suggested that but i can't be arsed to read.
heh and if you had been arsed to read you would have seen my reply too :wink:

juliun_c90

Post by juliun_c90 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:42 pm

i don't even know who originally made this statement from that mess of quotes, but that simply isn't true in a lot of cases. speaking from experience it's often the agent who wades in with an exorbitantly high quote in the self-serving interest of bumping up their 15% and in actual fact sometimes does the artist they're supposedly trying to represent out of a gig. if you can go artist direct it's often better (contractual committments permitting).

juliun_c90

Post by juliun_c90 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:44 pm

epithet wrote:
juliun_c90 wrote:if you want to find out it's easy enough- just call up some agents. not that mysterious really. i'm sure someone further up these 7 or so pages suggested that but i can't be arsed to read.
heh and if you had been arsed to read you would have seen my reply too :wink:
fair play. makes for a poor thread but you know, sometimes life's too short :lol: