Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

World Cup Thread

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows

Postby seckle » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:05 pm

rachel wrote:
seckle wrote:
Rich_c90 wrote:
seckle wrote:seaman was missing from this world cup. might have made a difference for england if he was around.

lol, cos he did so well against the ronaldinho free kick in the last world cup!

well he was up there with barthez and buffon in terms of experience. robinson just wasn't up to scratch along side the big kids. he was a liability.

experience does not a decent player make - seaman in his last england days was rubbish. robinson not much better at this world cup but at least he's not david james. now there's a liability. actually england were generally full of liabilities - robinson, beckham, rooney, lampard (187 shots no goals and you want some respect??). and not least the manager... :roll:

i was just making the point that experience counts for quite a lot when it comes to world cup goal tending. you don't want someone that's going to be frazzled by penalties and end up jumping for everything and not playing it cool.
seckle
Admin

Postby spaceboy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:06 pm

Rich_c90 wrote:
Spaceboy wrote:innit-but-doe-but-innit. We've been dissed for being a french side, been dissed for having to many international players, the long and short of it is, arsenal have over the years had a french bias, thanks to Mr. Wenger, and alot of the current squad have played or play for Francenal.

I state again: only one of the current squad play for france. Only three of the france squad have ever played for arsenal. And i can only think of pires and anleka and petit (and thats going back a while) who've played for arsenal and france.

But i take the point.

Personally, i think that Wenger doesn't have bias against english players. I think he has a bias towards young, promising, reasonably priced players. And the sad fact is that any young english player with decent prospects gets massively over-priced. (£10m for jermaine jenas!?! Please!). The reason we've had a bias towards foriegn players is that they are typically alot cheaper (van persie cost £2.75m, for example) and typically have better control with fits our game. Find me an english player as good as tomas rosicky and i guarantee the price for him will be astronomical (£15/20m+) whereas we paid £7m for world class midfielder who's proven at the very highest level.

I'd rather have foreign players than english...english players aint very good as is clear to see.
The World is YOURZ
spaceboy

Postby rachel » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:22 pm

seckle wrote:
rachel wrote:
seckle wrote:
Rich_c90 wrote:
seckle wrote:seaman was missing from this world cup. might have made a difference for england if he was around.

lol, cos he did so well against the ronaldinho free kick in the last world cup!

well he was up there with barthez and buffon in terms of experience. robinson just wasn't up to scratch along side the big kids. he was a liability.

experience does not a decent player make - seaman in his last england days was rubbish. robinson not much better at this world cup but at least he's not david james. now there's a liability. actually england were generally full of liabilities - robinson, beckham, rooney, lampard (187 shots no goals and you want some respect??). and not least the manager... :roll:

i was just making the point that experience counts for quite a lot when it comes to world cup goal tending. you don't want someone that's going to be frazzled by penalties and end up jumping for everything and not playing it cool.

experience counts for a lot in international football, generally, but it's not everything. aaron lennon, for example - never played at that level ,not even a tottenham regular but ran rings round experienced defenders and showed beckham right up. goalkeepers admittedly get better as they get older (excepting david james, obviously), but seaman should have been dropped a tournament before he was. then we'd prob all remember how good he was before that rather than just that free kick.

interestingly, i read lehmann has access to a penalties database from his previous club re: who takes penalties and how. transferrred to the bit of paper he was looking at before the argentina penalties. so not all purely skills-based...
rachel

Postby rich_c90 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:54 pm

rachel wrote:interestingly, i read lehmann has access to a penalties database from his previous club re: who takes penalties and how. transferrred to the bit of paper he was looking at before the argentina penalties. so not all purely skills-based...

surely every goalkeeper worth their salt has obtained access to such information? If not (which, at least of the top teams, would surprise me), then they aren't doing their homework. If so, then there is an element of skill to it.
rich_c90

Postby marsyas » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:39 pm

portugal 3-2 in OT

marsyas

Postby dubweiser » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:41 pm

What happened to Lyon's goalkeeper? Imho he's way better than Barthez...
dubweiser

Postby obiwan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:56 pm

Marsyas wrote:portugal 3-2 in OT

Thats the face, thats the one that's in my nightmares
2 New Tunes Up On The Top Myspace Address!!!

> http://www.myspace.com/dubfarma <
http://www.myspace.com/bigbenlondon
obiwan

Postby rachel » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:16 pm

obIwan wrote:
Marsyas wrote:portugal 3-2 in OT

Thats the face, thats the one that's in my nightmares

he'll be crying this evening. it's in my diary and everything...
rachel

Postby rachel » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:18 pm

Rich_c90 wrote:
rachel wrote:interestingly, i read lehmann has access to a penalties database from his previous club re: who takes penalties and how. transferrred to the bit of paper he was looking at before the argentina penalties. so not all purely skills-based...

surely every goalkeeper worth their salt has obtained access to such information? If not (which, at least of the top teams, would surprise me), then they aren't doing their homework. If so, then there is an element of skill to it.

probably, but think lehmann's well ahead of the rest. sum old guy at one of his previous clubs spent time putting together something like 30000 records of key players' penalties and how they took them. ur right tho - definitely still skill involved, obviously, but if all of them have the info then how do you explain paul robinson..?
rachel

Postby paulie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:36 pm

Robinson shat himself.
paulie

Postby spaceboy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:39 pm

wonder why that is...... :D
The World is YOURZ
spaceboy

Postby paulie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:40 pm

Cos he's shite-ing spurs scum?
paulie

Postby spaceboy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:41 pm

ssssh i may get threatened on road ;-)

affirmative mr. rose.
The World is YOURZ
spaceboy

Postby ifp » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:45 pm

Paulie wrote:Cos he's shite-ing spurs scum?
ifp

Postby ifp » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:54 pm

obIwan wrote:
c)The other European fans have a neo-nazi hooligan contingent now, but we pioneered that combination. People overheard England fans singing "I'd rather be a paki than a black". Polish and Russian hooligans actually admire the British for being the first, even though they'd kick the absolute shit out of us these days!

Which reminds me, why are there so many Polish in this country now, just because they're in the EU. Caribbeans and people from the Indian sub-continent have a real job (no pun) trying to get into/find work in Britain, and they did more for this country than the Polish ever did/will, not to mention were part of our non-compensated bloody evil empire, and fought in both world wars on our side! The Polish also have neo sizan in their government so you can't tell me that some of the economic migrants coming here won't have izan views. Fuck worrying about fundamental muslims, its Polish sizan I can't stand, what a stupid idea, they were invaded by the sizan! Blair is a fucking traitor. All the Poles will do, at the least, is make money from this country and leach it out. Caribbeans and Asians at least stick around, and we fucking owe them for slavery/colonialism/backing us up against Germany/Italy/Japan anyway!!!

whats all this about? how is sayin indian immigrants are better than polish immigrants any different to sayin "i'd rather be a paki than a black"?

and how can you make such ridiculous generalised comments about an entire country of people.
ifp

Postby spaceboy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:04 pm

2 more games to go...and this thread has been pretty darn good. lets not let it get twisted with abuse.

one nation under a groove baby.
The World is YOURZ
spaceboy

Postby rich_c90 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:10 pm

rachel wrote: if all of them have the info then how do you explain paul robinson..?

The same way you explain why lampard - having scored a ton of goals for chelski this season - could hit a barn door at the world cup and why Terry - having looked the best defender in the world - made lots of mistakes: they all bottled it... like we always to. Too much pressure, made even worse by previous failures...
rich_c90

Postby rachel » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:26 pm

Rich_c90 wrote:
rachel wrote: if all of them have the info then how do you explain paul robinson..?

The same way you explain why lampard - having scored a ton of goals for chelski this season - could hit a barn door at the world cup and why Terry - having looked the best defender in the world - made lots of mistakes: they all bottled it... like we always to. Too much pressure, made even worse by previous failures...

true enuf. also meejah pressure - SO much photocalls, press conferences, murdoch exclusives etc. i don't care to hear what players think (and I use the term advisedly) during the world cup. train a bit, win the thing, then tell me all about it afterwards.
rachel

Postby rachel » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:27 pm

Paulie wrote:Robinson shat himself.

blatantly
rachel

Postby m9918868 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:29 pm

England is out. Get over it, please.
m9918868

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion