skynet's dubstep debut

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
showguns

Post by showguns » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:59 pm

i think there's room for all sounds in dubstep.

yamato

Post by yamato » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:13 pm

showguns wrote:i think there's room for all sounds in dubstep.
yeah, i'm just sayin' for me personally. if i want "futuristic dnb sounds & breaks" i'll listen to dnb.

eventualdecline

Post by eventualdecline » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:15 pm

Yamato wrote:
eventualdecline wrote:The production level is up there and the tracks are nice but I'd kill to hear something like audio blueprint or underfine type tracks with a dubstep mindset.
see IMO that type of sound is the last thing i'd like to hear in dubstep. to me this music is about the meditative qualities, and not technical and complex sounds. save that shit for dnb.
To be honest man, your statement just sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. There's amazing amounts of meditative tracks and pure experimentalism in the underfire and audio blueprint back catalogues. That stuff pushed boundries in the genre that it was in and paved way as an immense influence to newer producers. If you don't like dnb then fair enough but if you don't know enough about something then you shouldn't talk shit.

yamato

Post by yamato » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:31 pm

eventualdecline wrote:
Yamato wrote:
eventualdecline wrote:The production level is up there and the tracks are nice but I'd kill to hear something like audio blueprint or underfine type tracks with a dubstep mindset.
see IMO that type of sound is the last thing i'd like to hear in dubstep. to me this music is about the meditative qualities, and not technical and complex sounds. save that shit for dnb.
To be honest man, your statement just sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. There's amazing amounts of meditative tracks and pure experimentalism in the underfire and audio blueprint back catalogues. That stuff pushed boundries in the genre that it was in and paved way as an immense influence to newer producers. If you don't like dnb then fair enough but if you don't know enough about something then you shouldn't talk shit.
actually i do know what i'm talking about, and bought many of the early AB/Underfire releases back when they were released, so i know the influence they've had on new dnb producers. i've also been listening to breakbeat/hardcore/jungle/dnb music since 1992, so yeah, i think i might know just a little bit about it's history.

that being said, i still think that dubstep stands on it's own as a meditative and dare i say "simple" sound, and there's no need for complexity. sure there are artists doing it, but i'd rather hear more tunes like "Dutch Flowers" than pushing dubstep into a more drum and bass direction. but hey, that's my thing.

eventualdecline

Post by eventualdecline » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:05 pm

Yamato wrote:actually i do know what i'm talking about, and bought many of the early AB/Underfire releases back when they were released, so i know the influence they've had on new dnb producers. i've also been listening to breakbeat/hardcore/jungle/dnb music since 1992, so yeah, i think i might know just a little bit about it's history.

that being said, i still think that dubstep stands on it's own as a meditative and dare i say "simple" sound, and there's no need for complexity. sure there are artists doing it, but i'd rather hear more tunes like "Dutch Flowers" than pushing dubstep into a more drum and bass direction. but hey, that's my thing.
Yeah man, Dutch Flowers is one of my fav tunes at the moment as well. However there's two points I have to argue:

1. No point in everyone copying Skream's tunes, dubstep can use all the variation and outside influence it can get. I think that's the problem with dnb now... it's too insular.

2. You should go back and listen to the audio blueprint and underfire stuff, while some tracks like Black Dawn, Tyrant, Rugged & Raw, etc... are well breaky and technical... there's also a lot of tracks that may not have any breaks at all or maybe just a slight bit of the top end for the hats in tracks like Decoy, Severe Trauma, Telemetry, etc...

ozeb

Post by ozeb » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:09 pm

eventualdecline wrote:1. No point in everyone copying Skream's tunes, dubstep can use all the variation and outside influence it can get. I think that's the problem with dnb now... it's too insular.
not to perpetuate the threadjack but this point is very valid.

misskatiemo

Post by misskatiemo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:10 pm

eventualdecline wrote:So this is Nathan Vinall Skynet? Not someone making dubstep with the same name?

The production level is up there and the tracks are nice but I'd kill to hear something like audio blueprint or underfine type tracks with a dubstep mindset.
same person love :)
AIM: misskatiemo
Twitter: @misskatiemo

eventualdecline

Post by eventualdecline » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:37 pm

misskatiemo wrote:same person love :)
Hey Katie, how's things? Thanks for the answer, just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting too excited over nothing :D

-James

yamato

Post by yamato » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:37 pm

eventualdecline wrote:
Yamato wrote:actually i do know what i'm talking about, and bought many of the early AB/Underfire releases back when they were released, so i know the influence they've had on new dnb producers. i've also been listening to breakbeat/hardcore/jungle/dnb music since 1992, so yeah, i think i might know just a little bit about it's history.

Yeah man, Dutch Flowers is one of my fav tunes at the moment as well. However there's two points I have to argue:

1. No point in everyone copying Skream's tunes, dubstep can use all the variation and outside influence it can get. I think that's the problem with dnb now... it's too insular.
on this we can agree.

the last thing i want is for everything to sound like Skream. but the more minimal, heady, dub vibes is what i'm after, and a lot can be done with that without technical breaks and fx.

and outside influence is fine, but it also depends on where it comes from, and what vibe you're trying to achieve. it frightens me to think that some day people might be producing dubstep that sounds like half time Pendelum tunes.

guess i'm more into the pure form of dub and it's influence on this music.

cielmarcheur

Post by cielmarcheur » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:40 pm

oops - was the mix off-line?

new temp link - http://www.hunlich.com/Argon_KZSC_Mix_06_24_06.mp3

was really looking forward to hear these tunes - maybe they sound a bit too clean/predictable - we'll see how things will evolve...

hey, side effects had a bit of that off-tempo/dubby feel <3<3<3

eventualdecline

Post by eventualdecline » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:44 pm

Yamato wrote:and outside influence is fine, but it also depends on where it comes from, and what vibe you're trying to achieve. it frightens me to think that some day people might be producing dubstep that sounds like half time Pendelum tunes.

Yeah I don't like where pendulum took dnb either. Too much focus of production, tracks sound too squeeky clean and clinical. btw I like my dub too, anywhere from King Tubby to Rhythm & Sound :D

yamato

Post by yamato » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:46 pm

eventualdecline wrote:
Yamato wrote:and outside influence is fine, but it also depends on where it comes from, and what vibe you're trying to achieve. it frightens me to think that some day people might be producing dubstep that sounds like half time Pendelum tunes.

tracks sound too squeeky clean and clinical.
exactly. which is my main problem with the Skynet tunes (and Tech Itch's attempt at dubstep as well).

osiris

Post by osiris » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:31 pm

and they'll all fall.. one by one! ;)

marsyas

Post by marsyas » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:03 am

another thread hijaked with lameness.

skynets dubstep is sick, its obvious some people have an agenda when deliberatley attacking an album or artist...go back to your cave !!

cant wait till the release.

brklss

Post by brklss » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:50 am

Hm, out of the DNB producers made dubstep, i like Tech Itch the most. That acid bassline in Implant is sick. But Skynet has a very interessting aproach to the music and is different to other sound - just not my gusto.

crazeebo

Post by crazeebo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:21 am

i like the bassline of isolate :twisted: but the drumsounds are straight outta kraken or something.....somehow not fully ripe yet.

but yeah cool keep em coming

ps i like drumsounds outta kraken with kraken bpms......

misskatiemo

Post by misskatiemo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:36 pm

eventualdecline wrote:
misskatiemo wrote:same person love :)
Hey Katie, how's things? Thanks for the answer, just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting too excited over nothing :D

-James
things are lovely :D broke up with my boyfriend/fiancee, moved to a bigger city, have a great job, lovely mates, living with my best friend and his girlfriend, can't complain!

How's Glasgow treatin' you?
AIM: misskatiemo
Twitter: @misskatiemo