Sloppy sets

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
nousd

Sloppy sets

Post by nousd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:20 am

As audience, I'm entitled to be fucked up, without needing an excuse, as long as I cause no harm. It's my problem.
It's a different matter when a hammered dj has to excuse their sloppiness on needles jumping, equipment malfunctions, promoter's neglect etc.

Why?
Cos it's indicative that their state of inebriation is more important than the music and it's proficient delivery to the punters.

If they can't operate to a reasonable standard because they've overindulged, they should join the audience imo. Credit to those that do and take the ego bust.
:m:

surface_tension

Post by surface_tension » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:25 am

Seconded. In before the lock/page20/ban/etc

But you are totally correct. Actually a lot of people just can't DJ at all and still get up there before learning how to mix. They should be in the audience as well.

string

Post by string » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:36 am

Never really see or hear any djs fuck up if I'm at a proper night, only ones are the student "electro/mash-up" nights where the dj just fades in and fades out old 80s songs with justice or whatever.

One thing I really HATE is downloading a mix by someone and theres poor beatmatching, ruins the whole thing and is deleted straight away.

oddfellow

Post by oddfellow » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:46 am

Getting mashed can either make me play like a demon, or it does what it should and I end up being confused by my own hands let alone the decks...

rusha

Post by rusha » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:49 am

i agree with you but i also dont, sometimes a bad mix can be left down to something as little as a misscount of beats or a distraction by someone else,

i agree that if someones off theri head and you have payed into a club to see them then yeah you have a right to be fucked off cos they shouldnt have gone mashed first , thats not on,

but i know when im on the radio, im a producer first and foremost so my DJin is not 100% up to scrath but when you are trying to man the phones, man the chatrooms etc you got someone stood next to you who always seems to talk when your about to mix or a cd/record skip, those things cant be helped and a bit of lee way shoudl be given to the odd mix, obviously if every mix is shit every time then you have a right to turn it off etc

everyone makes mistakes and when you are going for a good two hours straight, you cant expect it to be 100% perfect every single time :D

nousd

Post by nousd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:10 pm

^Yeah, was expecting someone to make that point Rusha.
I really enjoy radio or local mash ups when everyone's just having fun & not worried. But that's different to when it's professional and there is an expectation. In that case, I reckon the djs have an obligation to stay reasonably straight or forgo the dosh and sit down.
Of course there is the odd spinner or a particular night when sanity is irrelevant but the pressure on some names seems to have them thinking that it can happen every night. Feel sorry for 'em really.

nickygeneral

Post by nickygeneral » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:55 pm

some of the biggest names fuck up sometimes, i mean ive heard some DMZ mixes from Coki that are not really beatmatched at all but the guys a legend and plays the fattest plates around- id prefer to see that personally than a boringly perfect set

i mean as well sometimes the crazier the tunes are and the real deep ones just have some crazy timings that dont lend well too the easier mixing, its like trying to mix d n b or jungle, d n b is defintely easier to do a good wholesome mix with but then jungles the tits

i mean if im in a club and youve paid money i expect either really good tunes or really good mixing or preferably both but in general the scene is healthy if lots of peeps are trying there mixes out, taking risks and supportin the underground not just those who are beat perfeck every mix

i mean i like rowdy mixing for one, r-r-r-r-r--r-rewind!! ha ha :wink:
i whi fi pi

jonnyrebel

Post by jonnyrebel » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:59 pm

I saw danny howells play a few years back. He was so wasted on tequila he pretty much passed out on the decks and had to be carried away from the dj booth. He appologised a lot down the line but it was fucking annoying.

To be fair ive been pretty fucked behind the decks before and I can still mix no problem, Ive never disabled myself tho lol.

The worst is going b2b with someone wasted... (luthor and braidee take note lol) this has happened a couple of times and it does my fucking head in trying to explain to them that the cdj's are working fine and that the headphones are not "fucked"

butterz

Post by butterz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:08 pm

allow djing in a club without a cuppla beers down you. having bare people watch your every move is quite weird.
Allow gettting hammered round deck though its unproffesh

abs

Post by abs » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:10 pm

If anyone has ever seen Shitmat dj, you'll forgive anyone you once thought was a sloppy dj,

LEQ

Post by LEQ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Abs wrote:If anyone has ever seen Shitmat dj, you'll forgive anyone you once thought was a sloppy dj,

Hahaha, his 'performance' at Dedbeat a few years back was legendary.
fou chien wrote:Great Beijing Olympic Games wil fill us all with pride and piss for all planet.And what do you fuk,muk?
-q-

rusha

Post by rusha » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:15 pm

off topic a lil bit here, but abs are you the actual abs that used to be in 5ive?

:D

nickygeneral

Post by nickygeneral » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:20 pm

Rusha wrote:off topic a lil bit here, but abs are you the actual abs that used to be in 5ive?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
i whi fi pi

ruckspin

Post by ruckspin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:29 pm

Abs wrote:If anyone has ever seen Shitmat dj, you'll forgive anyone you once thought was a sloppy dj,

abs

Post by abs » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Rusha wrote:off topic a lil bit here, but abs are you the actual abs that used to be in 5ive?

yes

djake

Post by djake » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:47 pm

everyone messes up now n then, lets face it no one is perfect.

i always have a beer (well cider, beer is horrible lol) before i play helps me to relax.

but someone being paraletic and not even being able to mix at a half decent standard is not on.

rusha

Post by rusha » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:50 pm

Rusha wrote:
off topic a lil bit here, but abs are you the actual abs that used to be in 5ive?
Very Happy

yes
is it!! sick bastard!! i saw you at party in the park in leeds when i was like 15 or summat!! "5ive will make you get down now , bring it on bring it on bring it on now!"

big respect!!!

ed teach

Post by ed teach » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:07 pm

In the words of MF Doom: It's not a hobby so don't be sloppy & save it 'till after the show B.

Some people can do it and stay focused but booze generally wrecks heads. An exception is when you're doing the 3-4 slot at an all-nighter - some proper long haul-business, and you need to stay awake. "One for the doctor" and all that...
This is neither time or the place.

rob sparx

Post by rob sparx » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:29 pm

I played a gig more or less sober the other day and had to contend with:

- One deck not plugged in (didnt know this until it was almost too late)
- Crappy old needles with hardly any treble that sounded all wrong
- Weight on 1 needle arm was wrong so sound distorted & needle jumped
- Monitors out of sync so everything sounded like it was clanging - couldn't mix in headphones as they were distorting too much with 2 channels and I didnt know where the volume control was for them
- Dodgy half broken headphones kept cutting out and falling off
- No lights so had to keep putting mobile up to mixing desk

etc etc This wasnt the worst rig id ever played on tho - that had most of the above + 2 broken cdjs and virtually broken monitors it was pure embarassment made me look like a right plum! Fair enough if a DJs clearly steaming and cant mix for shit its not on but plenty of the time its more down to equipment than anything else and there's no way the audience would know that they probably just thought the DJ was shit! Anyone who says they wouldnt find it difficult to mix with all those problems is talking out their arse especially if they're not even a DJ!
Last edited by rob sparx on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missedthebus

Post by missedthebus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:31 pm

Abs wrote:

yes
BRUK OUT!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9T31lZE1LE 1:10 HELL YEAH!!!