and how did you guys get here? (to duBstep music)

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
ghettobot

Post by ghettobot » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:46 pm

it's great to hear everyone's stories and see you all are as excited as i am about this! it's great, yeah?!
around here, i seem to be the only one who has really heard of this form of music... i did a grime night for awhile, though it was really a ruse so i could rock dubstep choons! i still play em at other nights about the town... people have heard of grime, though their eyes kinda glass over like "i'm not really sure i know what you're talking about"!!

djgyn

Post by djgyn » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:49 pm

Starting listening to EBM and industrial back in the early to mid-nineties, then starting listening to all sorts of electronic music, from IDM to techno to house. I'm musically all over the map, but I was drawn to dub and reggae about 2 years ago. So ultimately, my appreciation for heavy bass landed me here...
OUT IN THE STREET,
THEY CALL IT MURDA

descent

Post by descent » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:26 pm

House back in the late 80's

Went quickly to techno

then breaks and dnb thanks to LTJ Bukem bootleg from 92 ish

always liked IDM and in general experimental electronic stuff.

Got bored with dnb in 99/00, wasn't listening to much until I found groovetech radio online and heard the first Kode9 and dubplate.net shows - still have some of them on minidisk.

Been collecting since then, I suppose starting with 2step stuff.
next up: Nothing in Providence RI - that's for sure ! fukkas !

http://www.myspace.com/dubstepp0r

furiouz

Post by furiouz » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:34 pm

Got into early house and hardcore (Subbase, production house,reinforced etc) in '92. Then jungle and DnB in '94-'99. Got into "speed garage" around '97 and when I heard early dark stuff like Steve Gurley and Ghost Trax I was hooked. Nowdays I spin both dubstep and 4x4.
Catch Furiouz every Tues 4-6 PM GMT @

phoze'l

Post by phoze'l » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:32 pm

Was always into grime from when I started DJ'in. Then went into Big Apple once and was talking to Hatcha and he was saying how he examined what I bought and cos I always bought the dark grime he gave me a CD of him and Crazy D from Rinse and I was bang on it... stil lbought my grime but was on the dubstep! I gotta big up Hatcha! I would've found the sound later enough but Hatcha made me see the light!

bunzer0

Post by bunzer0 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:43 pm

Gutter wrote:I got into experimental/underground electronic music around 1984/85. It's been a natural progression from there.

Same here but i started to really love underground electronic music in 1988 with Meat Beat Manifesto first album called Storm The Studio !

dj $hy

Post by dj $hy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:53 am

Fuck me...

Started in Jungle at skool, moved to Garage around the time closer than close started playing in clubs, then to Speed garage, UKG, Grime and now 13yrs later I'm here.

Always went for the darker stuff though which is why I've ended up here and dont plan on going anywhere!
http://soundcloud.com/afterdark-dubstep
New Deep one! Unsigned ATM
Soundcloud

A deep one... Dropping on Family Tree Records END OF THIS MONTH!!!!!!!
Soundcloud

dangamouse

Post by dangamouse » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:17 am

started playing hardcore and jungle at the age of 14 , progressing from there to drum n bass.

then moved thru dnb to Nuskool breaks 5 years ago.

these days my style is more mash up built around tearout breaks & Dubstep. throwing in UK hip hop , techno, dnb ,electro and anything else that gets the party rocking :)

kymatik

Post by kymatik » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:35 am

STEALTH wrote:Hmm...

Then I heard Kode 9 & Daddy G's 'Spit' and it blew me away, ..
Word to that. Just missed it on ebay recently, been trying to find it elsewhere but believe its been deleted? Tune mind!

Oh and hello mate! ;)

blackdown
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by blackdown » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:39 am

went to a photoshoot in Croydon for The Face magazine spring 2000.

on the way back to the station got talking to the two guys in the back of the photographers' car: El-B and Jay Da Flex.

went to the station and did a quick interview with a third guy. his name was Zed Bias.

that proved to be the origin of dubstep right there...
Keysound Recordings, Rinse FM, http://www.blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com, sub, edge, bars, groove, swing...

seckle
Admin

Post by seckle » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:48 am

sia "little man (exemen remix)" around 1999-2000. it was the first garage/2step tune that really hit hard, with a different feel. that tune made me explore, and start to buy the vinyl. in terms of dubstep, i'd have to say the first big apple record releases. you could actually hear a distinctive sound developing.

unlikely

Post by unlikely » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:28 pm

El-B and narrows tunes on pirate radio,

had a listen to Sholay in blackmarket when it first came out, bought it and decided dubstep one to watch ( was spinning garage, grime, underground hip hop, electro)

final hooks sunk by Distance and the Mystikz with Trust my logic, nomad, twisup, b, lost city

amen-ra

Post by amen-ra » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:02 pm

Easy folks

The Pirate radio scene was the biggest influence on me from '94 until now. No hearsay, no magazines, no chance meetings just pure sound.

Along the way I've found out the true nature of music and can now appreciate the value in everything I listen to, including the sound of a hairdryer

Is the blessing in the sounds you listen to or in the act of listening itself?

There's no such thing as good or bad music

Peace

spaceboy

Post by spaceboy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:50 pm

was studying and promoting and djing in bristol.

we ran a rave called hotflush which was the first jungle and garage rave in the city.

we are from london so after graduating we had to come back home.

some of our friends were A&R's at major's invited us down to a night called fwd...we'd been droppin all the new schooly darker stuff coming out at the time anyway...bias, el b, deekline etc...

thought the sound was good...decided we wanted in...setup hotflush the label and are building it as we speak!
The World is YOURZ

cogent

Post by cogent » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:28 pm

Started off playing guitar in metal / rock bands when I was 14.. done a few small tours when I was 18, but around 1996 discovered Aphex Twin who opened my eyes to electronic music.
Got into jungle / dnb / breakbeat / electronica, started going raving and making dnb / electronic tracks around 2000..
Then started promoting small dnb events, but I was booking breaks / broken beat dj's, to warm up for the dnb acts, a few of them guys were dropping Oris jay and Zed Bias tunes and I found it really fresh to listen too so I explored the scenes more.. Wasn't really feeling the commercial UKG stuff that much as I was into darker sounds, then I heard dubstep / grime, went to a few fwds and was hooked....

Cogent

sek [espionage]

Post by sek [espionage] » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:33 pm

never been too into hip-hop.
heard "classic house" when I was about 12 years old and thought it was the shit.
First year of highschool I started attending raves in Toronto (94-96).. mostly into techno.
I was always aware of dnb but wasent much of a fan of ragga jump up.
Around 97 I started hearing a lot of "techstep" dnb at raves (No-U-Turn, EdRush & Optical, Johnny L, Future Forces..) and fell in love.
clean beats, minimal grooves, moody vibes..
I got really involved in Toronto's dnb scene from about 98-04.
In around mid 2004 I stared getting really turned off of dnb.
Mainly due to the music's overemphasis on maximalism and speed, the local scene's proverbial pissing contest and overemphasis on coke glam.
I was first exposed to a dubstep mix on DOA's the grid "which I still frequent often" around this time last year.
Dubstep seamed to be everything I enjoy about dance music and stragely enough reminds me a lot of when I first heard techstep dnb..
The minimal beats, the moodyness..

thats bout it so far i guess

8)

ig

Post by ig » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:41 pm

I've always wandered around a bit randomly in search of whatever interesting noise is breaking; there's nothing like that crest-of-a-wave thrill when a sound's still defining itself. So, somehow or other, with a load of strange detours along the way, I've come from listening to Napalm Death in 1987 to dubstep in 2005....

It does remind me of what I loved about jungle in its infancy - in particular, Toasty's "Angel" just seems like a complete distillation of everything that's brilliant about any number of scenes, and that those scenes have managed to lose with maturity - but there's loads more to it than that, and I've grown to love the heavier, slower dub-influenced stuff just as much as the more familiar riffage that brought me in to begin with. That Skream mix that was doing the rounds a while back is just an absolute sodding triumph, for a start....

Cheers,

ig.

-40 khz

Post by -40 khz » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:53 am

hmmm. thats funny-i went from napalm death to dubstep as well... then there was this band called public enemy. there was a long detour with techstep d+b, and free jazz as well. j da flex's show on 1xtra was the thing that really tipped me tho. and when i heard plasticman and then toasty it was pretty much all over.

dubmugga

Post by dubmugga » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:18 am

hiphop>>house>>jungle>>garage/breakz...HELL SCIENCE DEPT

we were always into the steppier side of garage and breakz, tempa, texture soulja, ghost etc so it was a natural extension for us to listen to and develop our sound contemporaneously with dubstep...

...but it was mainly through the hyperdub and dubplate.net work and my fellow hell scientist Jared, continuously buying rekkids from mailout catalogues that we are able to stay on trak

we're currently sorting out a radio show which I will link to soon, playing stuff including our own...

...plus there will be some stuff available on a few digital download sites in the very near future

chur from NZ

Ringo

clone.a.k.

Post by clone.a.k. » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:48 pm

another junglist, searchin' for the phattest vibes known to man.
bangers are meant to be mashed!