shameless self promotion on this forum is getting very dull

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
_boring

Post by _boring » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:02 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
SOUNDCLOUD.COM/STUNTMANSTEP
SOUNDCLOUD.COM/STUNTMAN-2
SOUNDCLOUD.COM/STUNTMAN-3
WAXMUSEUMRADIO.NET
MNM PRESENTS/QUEEN CITY CARTEL
Soundcloud
Soundcloud

michael red

Post by michael red » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:14 am

post of new dubs should stay in the dubs section. that's what it was made for. pretty simple i think.

people posting links to their dubs in the general section run the risk of looking tacky or desperate or worse.

altho the whole "game" of the dub section here is another story.

~m

Dark Reign

Post by Dark Reign » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 am

:T:

alien pimp

Post by alien pimp » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:31 am

michael red wrote:post of new dubs should stay in the dubs section. that's what it was made for. pretty simple i think.

people posting links to their dubs in the general section run the risk of looking tacky or desperate or worse.

~m
i think people who post any links in any thread are pretty desperate too!
i think if you have quality on your hdd, somebody will take it from there and make you famous and pay you too. you just have to wait a little

even people who post their opinions are desperate, they should keep it for themselves and talk only when mala asks them
ADULT BASS MUSIC VOL. 1 - MIDTEMPO + UPTEMPO EDITIONS - OUT NOW!

Soundcloud
Soundcloud
http://dubkraftrecords.com
http://silviucostinescu.info

fbom

Post by fbom » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:39 am

alien pimp wrote:
even people who post their opinions are desperate, they should keep it for themselves and talk only when mala asks them
silv, you make me wake up my roomate with my laughter. youre too funny.

cal, thanks man. for me to post a dub in the dubs section is like asking someone if i can waste 5 minutes of their time, so pimping my tunes doesnt come easy. im much better at hyping others' tracks.... :roll: you missed a good night last night btw. clouds was fucking illllll.

oh and i'm htm-iliterate.

spender

Post by spender » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:59 am

Surface_Tension wrote:That we should just put something out, tell nobody about it, and it will magically fucking sell.

Douche. It might sell just as well if every fucking DJ on Rinse was playing it out of no other motive than they are my fucking boys, and I'm Mala handing them dubs. Alas, we're not of the status yet where we can slap out name on it and people automatically know what that means.
Mala earned that reputation slowly but surely by putting out consistently amazing releases over a period of time with little or no promotion on his behalf. Letting the music speak for itself. The same goes for Hessle Audio, Punch Drunk, Tectonic and too many others to mention.

15 page threads are generated on this forum purely speculating on the next DMZ release. The complete lack of info gets hype up to silly levels but it works. The 12s drop out of nowhere and people buy on sight.

These things take time. You're not gonna get a rep after one release, not matter how good it is. But put out 3 maybe 4 consistently good releases in a year and people will start taking note. For all the right reasons.

Trying to generate hype / awareness by relentlessly bumping threads or spamming the forum is likely to give you about as much credibility as a door-to-door dubstep salesman.

Anyways, your heart's obviously in the right place and there's no questioning your passion for pushing the music you want people to hear so best of luck to you man.

But if you will insist on constantly venting your spleen on here about the 'Croydon Boys Club' then I'd recommend you use an account other than your Label's name. You're not doing yourself any favors.

danoldboy

Post by danoldboy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:04 am

I think half page signatures are far more annoying than a bit of self promotion. Should be a size limit tbh
Last edited by danoldboy on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

reptilian

Post by reptilian » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:05 am

spender wrote:
Surface_Tension wrote:That we should just put something out, tell nobody about it, and it will magically fucking sell.

Douche. It might sell just as well if every fucking DJ on Rinse was playing it out of no other motive than they are my fucking boys, and I'm Mala handing them dubs. Alas, we're not of the status yet where we can slap out name on it and people automatically know what that means.
Mala earned that reputation slowly but surely by putting out consistently amazing releases over a period of time with little or no promotion on his behalf. Letting the music speak for itself. The same goes for Hessle Audio, Punch Drunk, Tectonic and too many others to mention.

15 page threads are generated on this forum purely speculating on the next DMZ release. The complete lack of info gets hype up to silly levels but it works. The 12s drop out of nowhere and people buy on sight.

These things take time. You're not gonna get a rep after one release, not matter how good it is. But put out 3 maybe 4 consistently good releases in a year and people will start taking note. For all the right reasons.

Trying to generate hype / awareness by relentlessly bumping threads or spamming the forum is likely to give you about as much credibility as a door-to-door dubstep salesman.

Anyways, your heart's obviously in the right place and there's no questioning your passion for pushing the music you want people to hear so best of luck to you man.

But if you will insist on constantly venting your spleen on here about the 'Croydon Boys Club' then I'd recommend you use an account other than your Label's name. You're not doing yourself any favors.
^ exactly!

alien pimp

Post by alien pimp » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:06 am

fbom wrote:
alien pimp wrote:
silv, you make me wake up my roomate with my laughter. youre too funny.

your roommate has to be glad it wasn't your music waking him up!

i kid, i kid... 8)

actually fbom tracks are the coolest thing to spend money on right now
after mine and synkro's, of course, but i don't link him because he didn't answer my last e-mail, which makes me even more desperate

and how desperate is snoop btw, sitting all day and tweeting or doing that lame online show where he just plays shit from winamp and smokes pot in front of the webcam...
not to mention making tracks with dubstep producers now...

[did i balance well the promo and the blah?]
ADULT BASS MUSIC VOL. 1 - MIDTEMPO + UPTEMPO EDITIONS - OUT NOW!

Soundcloud
Soundcloud
http://dubkraftrecords.com
http://silviucostinescu.info

zillion

Post by zillion » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:03 am

michael red wrote:post of new dubs should stay in the dubs section. that's what it was made for. pretty simple i think.

~m
Yer but the problem with the dub section is that there is a load of people that just post up tunes spam them like hell and dont even consider giving feedback to anyone else.

Im always putting up my latest track up there and unless your doing a remix or giving the track away for free you will get minimal input in the thread.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much good new exciting music is just being ignored becuase of this. I can understand why people can get annoyed with people posting up there tracks in the main forum but how many of you actually go in the dub section??

Not many i wouldnt have thought. If you did you would be amazed by the amount of talent this forum has so why cant we bring it to the main stage of the forum?? admittedly there is a lot of rubbish from people pushing there tunes to hard that havent got much quality and orignialty.

But how is the genre going to move forward if everyone is ignoring new original music?? Just becuse its not signed doesnt mean its rubbish when some awful tunes get released.
Iceni 5 // Filthy Digital /// Nomadic Art Organisation (Sly Puff)

http://www.iceni5.co.uk

Out Now On Iceni 5.....
Soundcloud

http://www.facebook.com/zilliondubs

tavravlavish

Post by tavravlavish » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:31 am

Reptilian wrote: some kid with a myspace who is still getting his shit together (for example)
myspace.com/20666

it aint dubstep but its weird shit bro _m/ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

spaniard

Post by spaniard » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:37 am

Large up the moaning, reading this thread makes self promotion out to be the worst thing since the bloody plague.

Its like having a business when you start up you need to spread the word and get it known, not sit there and do fuck all cause I wouldnt want to offend anyone with promoting myself, making it sound like self promoting and banner ads is like getting mist in the eyes.

Fair enough spamming is a bit annoying but if i started making tunes i would want to get my name out.

If spamming is the only thing people can find to moan about, then you need to go outside, get some fresh and smell the roses.

saxenhammer

Post by saxenhammer » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:33 am

spender wrote: Trying to generate hype / awareness by relentlessly bumping threads or spamming the forum is likely to give you about as much credibility as a door-to-door dubstep salesman.
Very nicely put. This is it in a nutshell.

The best example of no hype,no advertising ,no anything...and still being successful, is (obviously not dubstep) the Downwards label. A techno label run by Regis and Female. No website. No myspace. Hardly an interview online. No advertising. Yet people go mad for all the releases. Obviously it has taken time to build up this rep, and Im not suggesting people do NO promo, but it shows that you get your rep through sheer bloody mindedness and hard work.

SickMan D

Post by SickMan D » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:51 am

danoldboy wrote:I think half page signatures are far more annoying than a bit of self promotion. Should be a size limit tbh
I think there is a limit as I've had flyers (not huge ones I might add) taken from my sig, some people do seem immune to this mod's decision though and when its just a huge pic not even a flyer I'm never sure why....

nedklic

Post by nedklic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:13 pm

~m
The dubs section is quite diheartening, I put a tune up, the only "feedback" I got was someone posting links to an online wedding dress store (?) That's not even targetted spamming, their literally boosting the amount of links they have over the net.

Since then BunZer0, Beezy and a few others have given it some plays and I've had some really good feedback on it.. the links expired now but didn't feel that inspired to re-up
"If Elvis were alive today, I think he'd really understand happy hardcore."
-John Peel

myspace.com/klicuk

deamonds

Post by deamonds » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:49 pm

@ saxenhammer, is surgeon the same surgeon from Mu-ziq/EE on downwards? thnx

ory

Post by ory » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:59 pm

deamonds wrote:@ saxenhammer, is surgeon the same surgeon from Mu-ziq/EE on downwards? thnx
he's not the same as the EE Surgeon, but he did have that track on that MAH compilation on planet mu, "right road to dubland" I think it was called.

the EE Surgeon doesn't produce at all as far as I know.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:10 pm

Anyone who thinks they will be "discovered" whilst scratching their arse in their musty bedroom studio please read on. Everyone else can skip this bit.

Expecting somebody to "discover" your music without you doing anything other than making it is naive. Maybe if its 1980 and you fluke gigs in front of an A&R man.
Nobody is making money, real money, out of this to motivate the modern equivilent of an A&R, most vinyl electronic labels are run to release the artist who established the labels. Someones tracks might be good but so are a lot of peoples tracks and more importantly a lot of people (punters) can't tell the difference between a good track an average track and a great track, they'll wait until the appointed tastemakers do that work for them and take it from there.
Even if you making original heartfelt music that coincidently has the potential to shift 500 units you'll still need to court a label and convince them your not a dickhead who they'll end up regretting doing business with.
There are labels run by music lovers who will hunt out fresh music, but lets count the amount of posts from labels looking for material. Also they tend to be too idealistic to last long pressing vinyl for artists they're excited about, most are net labels or end up that way- some very good ones
The reality in 2009 is that to be successful you need the ability to wear more than one hat i.e. be a gig promoter, artist, label runner with a bit of marketing. You need to stick your hand up and say hey listen to what I'm doing. Create a scene of your own with like minds. Other wise you can leave it to luck like the lottery.
A lot of succesfull artists were in the right place, right time with good music that reflected what was going on. If (Producer X) came to dubstep late and he was from Bognor he might have a harder time and not recieve the encouragement he/she would need to produce consistant quality material in the way they have done which kept them at the top of a scene which grew beneath them.

Downwards worked because with techno the more secret it is the better. It was a badly kept secret, Surgeon has always had huge reputation and support from tastemakers like Mills. A nod from the gods and a UR style anti image are perfect key selling points for techno a la Drexcyia.

reptilian

Post by reptilian » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:32 pm

[quote="ikeaboy"]
The reality in 2009 is that to be successful you need the ability to wear more than one hat i.e. be a gig promoter, artist, label runner with a bit of marketing. You need to stick your hand up and say hey listen to what I'm doing. Create a scene of your own with like minds. Other wise you can leave it to luck like the lottery.
quote]

some good points and i agree with most of what you're saying, this is what a lot of succesful dubstep labels have done

different things work for different people and there are always mavericks who don't follow the "rules" tho, especially if they are extremely talented/eccentric

referring back to spamming maybe i'm wrong but aggressively spamming message boards seems like one of the worse ways of attempting to be "successful" - especially in a relatively small "scene"
Last edited by reptilian on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deamonds

Post by deamonds » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:34 pm

yea, the fact that I know its out, know what the artwork looks like AND know the name of the label owner & its artist's but I still havent heard the track says a lot for its promotion