sorry, but dubstep has become a joke..

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
drokkr

Post by drokkr » Thu May 14, 2009 5:16 pm

rare things are expensive.

across all genres of music, rare vinyl can cost a fortune (to some people). this goes hand in hand with being a collector. be it stamps, train sets, cars or furniture. if you want something that other people want and very few of the item is available you will have to pay for it.

i think it's a shame that some people take advantage of this situation tho'
but if something should be considered to have a certain value then so be it.

jogfuture

Post by jogfuture » Thu May 14, 2009 10:22 pm

tbh it's worth what people are willing to pay for it. if it's out of stock everywhere and someone's willing to part with 20 quid to have it then more power to them.

if you can still get a copy for a fiver then they probably deserve to be 20 quid down for not bothering to check :p

ed teach

Post by ed teach » Thu May 14, 2009 11:05 pm

jogfuture wrote:tbh it's worth what people are willing to pay for it. if it's out of stock everywhere and someone's willing to part with 20 quid to have it then more power to them.

if you can still get a copy for a fiver then they probably deserve to be 20 quid down for not bothering to check :p
Completley agree. Without vinyl traders where else could you find the tune after it's sold out? Most DJ's rarely part with tracks they buy, and if/when they do they're not usually in the best of condition. The discogs market just slows down the distribution process for those who want to catch up with what's been happening, or for whatever reason missed the original release.
This is neither time or the place.

morro_e

Post by morro_e » Fri May 15, 2009 4:55 am

who fucking cares.

if you are selling SOMEONES tune for hundred pounds and guy that made that tune gets nothing of it you're disgusting tnuc - nothing more

dubfama

Post by dubfama » Fri May 15, 2009 5:01 am

i agree it is stupid paying high prices for something so recent... if its an old tune though and its in mint condition and isnt going to get repressed then im willing to pay money for it.... never paid more than £30 for an out of press vinyl though.. DMZ002 dub session goes for like £125 on discogs its actually unreal...

sines

Post by sines » Fri May 15, 2009 5:16 am

GrimeSceneInvestigation wrote:
Sines wrote: :baby:
so far for trying to explain myself or have a normal discussion expressing myself,
but someone from Texas will be the last person in the world to hurt my feelings :D
Yea cos we all wear cowboy hats and ride horses right? :roll:

grimesceneinvestigation

Post by grimesceneinvestigation » Fri May 15, 2009 9:36 am

Sines wrote: Yea cos we all wear cowboy hats and ride horses right? :roll:
you don't try to have a discussion here, instead insert a ridiculous smiley showing no proof of real communication, so why should I bother to look behind a cliché?
and that's the end of me posting on that stupid smiley :)

dubfama wrote: if its an old tune though and its in mint condition and isnt going to get repressed then im willing to pay money for it
exactly, I don't mind paying just a bit more for that one special record you've been after for a while, or not, but still with special emotional value.
but a record that's been out less than a month?
I'd like to point out the post about concert tickets popping up on ebay at ridiculous prices,
that's about buying with the purpose of profit,
not quite the same as quiting dj'ing and getting rid of your records

jogfuture

Post by jogfuture » Fri May 15, 2009 6:08 pm

ov3r wrote:who fucking cares.

if you are selling SOMEONES tune for hundred pounds and guy that made that tune gets nothing of it you're disgusting tnuc - nothing more
you shouldn't be allowed to decide how much cash you'd be willing to part with your property for?

if i'd made a tune that was going for 50 quids on discogs i'd be buzzing cos i'd probably have a bunch of copies in a box somewhere thatd go straight up

notez_

Post by notez_ » Fri May 15, 2009 6:25 pm

Deadly Habit wrote:simple economics of supply and demand

naught to do with dubstep
haha yes. A level economics? ;)

it is a joke but to be honest i forked out £50 for haunted not to long ago and dont really mind..no chance of a repress and i got it pretty cheap considering what some people have payed for it(like £90!) I mean its DMZ007 it deserves £50. Its gay that i started collecting/djing only when i was 16 because i missed all the massive tunes that came out at the start of the scene..but..look at dnb..not really different except you have to wade through so much more shit.
BOOMsHaNKA!an interception!
.....But that’s always the chance you take.

NEW LITTLE MIX COOKED UP. lovely.

http://www.mixcloud.com/ilanhavinga/nasty-fm-launch-night-competition/

d+

Post by d+ » Fri May 15, 2009 6:29 pm

live ur life
DUBSTEP/GRIME/GARAGE/TECHNO FOR SALE!
http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?seller=dhay85
HOUSE/TECHNO/DUBSTEP
http://www.myspace.com/domhaywood

Littlefoot

Post by Littlefoot » Fri May 15, 2009 6:56 pm

D+ wrote:live ur life
woaaaoohh oohhh oh
Subsequent Mastering - http://www.subsequentmastering.com
Online Mastering Service
(LOL GURLZ, Geiom, Dexplicit, Bass Clef, Lost Codes Audio, Car Crash Set recordings)

saphyre

Post by saphyre » Fri May 15, 2009 7:14 pm

juliun_c90

Post by juliun_c90 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:26 pm

"Rarely played" mind you. Would've been £200 mint. :roll:

WatchYourStep
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Earth, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Re: sorry, but dubstep has become a joke..

Post by WatchYourStep » Mon May 25, 2009 4:51 pm

GrimeSceneInvestigation wrote: my search didn't match with anything available, so I got suspicious it might be up for ridiculous prices on discogs allready..

and I was right.
i dug through dsf just to find this topic and express my similar anger. It seems i was late in checking my email inbox by the time i saw "in for the kill", skream's remix up for sale as a promo on one of my record stores. Excited as hell, i was greeted at the website by an out of stock notice, so i checked discogs, wondering if i'd find any of those same filthy bastard opportunists that robbed you of your chance to own the burial vs four tet 12" at a reasonable price.

I did.

And for all of you people on this thread who take the side of "oh, stop whining, the consumer decides the value of a product, why should a seller be prevented from selling at whatever price he/she chooses" or "it's called a rare vinyl for reason!", TELL ME with a straight face that you can look at the difference between these listed prices and not say that at least one seller is a douchebag.

€ 25.00
€ 40.00
£ 49.00
£ 14.99
£ 20.00
etc
£ 80.00
£ 100.00

buddy down at the bottom probably thought he was finally going to be able to pay off his expensive male blow-up sex doll once an unsuspecting dubstep lover strolled by and dropped a hundred pounds for a "NOT EVEN PLAYED ONCE" record.

quit being a silly bitch and get a fucking job you record whore.

q23

Post by q23 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:30 pm

I am a lover of irony, so i found that there are some people who actually support individuals who buy up quite a few copies of a record in order to sell it back to people who really actually wanted it at 5 times the cost, quite entertaining.

Music by and for the people, no?