DUBSTEP LOSING INTEREST...

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
elgato

Post by elgato » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:00 pm

Dub boy wrote:Milanese & Geiom
:arrow:

large

blood_on_neon

Post by blood_on_neon » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:18 pm

Well I'm new here so I don't want to start banging on in an opinionated fashion, but here's my two cents:

I've been following this sound since Big Apple/Tempa/Nude/Shelf Life started to make garage 'good'. I think there's still loads to be proud of in this music, and there are still lots of genre-trashing records coming out. I do feel, though, like things are in danger of getting stuck a bit: the rhythmic urgency is just missing from a lot of productions. It's not a half vs double-time issue or anything: some of the slower stuff really delivers in this sense, but I do think it's true that the unpredictable, fresh groove of the older garage-based stuff is sometimes being sorely missed. I suppose it's due to the popularity of the genre: the trailblazers are still coming through, but now there's a whole spate of followers. Mustn't grumble though: there're still enough amazing new records coming out to keep me on the verge of bankruptcy!

elgato

Post by elgato » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:21 pm

i liked your post

dont agree that they made garage 'good' though... garage was incredible for a long time before that

ufo over easy

Post by ufo over easy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:22 pm

elgato wrote:discussion is for idiots

debate is stoopid

music shouldnt be talked about, its for listenin yaknowhatamean
-w- -w- -w-

and it was all going so well..
:d:

seckle

Post by seckle » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:29 pm

get out to the shows. if you sit at home and listen to this music on your headphones, you'll never fully understand it .
at the end of the day, this music is about standing in front of a wall of speakers.

blood_on_neon

Post by blood_on_neon » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:31 pm

elgato wrote:i liked your post

dont agree that they made garage 'good' though... garage was incredible for a long time before that
Aye maybe. It was just the first stuff that really made me go 'grrrr' though! I guess I'm a bit hazy on earlier things. Any tips?

blood_on_neon

Post by blood_on_neon » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:32 pm

seckle wrote:at the end of the day, this music is about standing in front of a wall of speakers.
Fucking right.

elgato

Post by elgato » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:39 pm

blood_on_neon wrote:Any tips?
hmm depends what you like, presuming you like it 2step and a little darker (as do i) then groove chronicles are basically the dons, but also almost everything on locked on is worth owning imo, dem2 in particular, steve gurley generally delivers the goods, as does wookie / do exemen, zed bias of course (in all his incarnations), dnd, mj cole, then just bits and pieces all over... a few guilty pleasures on red rose, booker t made some amazing tunes. ive found its good just to browse websites and ebay collections and stuff like that, theres just a ridiculous amount of sick garage around, its just you have to geek it up a bit to find it... loads of garage house and 4x4 too

check the 2step thread in the 'Other Music' bit as well

stone

Post by stone » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:42 pm

all of that monotonous half step that I hear sometimes just makes me appreciate the steppas that acknowledge the garage roots of dubstep. I have been getting into the old horsepower productions stuff lately when before I dismissed it because it did not sound weird enough. I am still excited about dubstep, I just know now what I want to hear.

blood_on_neon

Post by blood_on_neon » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:43 pm

Just minimal, dark and crisp really. Will check. Cheers!

ekstrak

Post by ekstrak » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:46 pm

The repetition doesnt bother me so much, there's enough innovation still and i'm pretty confident there always will be.

besides, as someone already said.. another wobbly bassline on headphones is one thing, it is quite another at a dance.

thinking

Post by thinking » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:48 pm

seckle wrote:get out to the shows. if you sit at home and listen to this music on your headphones, you'll never fully understand it .
at the end of the day, this music is about standing in front of a wall of speakers.
that's not really quite relevant tho - if I'm standing in front of a wall of speakers listening to tunes I'm not feeling, it won't help with my understanding or enjoyment.
BLACK BOX & BOX CLEVER

paulie wrote:Thinking >>>> everyone else on this forum.

digital

Post by digital » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:54 pm

Dubstep is sick.

shonky

Post by shonky » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:37 pm

seckle wrote:get out to the shows. if you sit at home and listen to this music on your headphones, you'll never fully understand it .
Frankly that's toss. Good music should sound good anywhere. Went to a local dubstep night with some big names here, and the sound was amazing, but afterwards couldn't remember anything but a ton of wobble bass, dub samples and reverb snares. Wasn't that twatted either. I've played older dubstep tunes on small and large rigs and people enjoyed the tunes cause they were good tunes regardless of volume and bass weight.

Would explain why things sometimes get a bit tedious if the bass is reduced down to mechanics. I'd much rather hear something that sounded good at home AND in a club than tunes that are found to be a bit lacking if you don't hear them off a 10k rig.

And what the fuck is there to understand - you either like tunes or you don't - it doesn't become a better tune because it's really loud - just louder.

Fascinating though it is to feel 20Hz through your chest and your teeth vibrating, if the tunes aren't doing it, it's not much more than a bassy rollercoaster ride, thrilling for a bit then over and then not much to say about it afterwards.
Hmm....

narcossist

Post by narcossist » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:42 pm

there must be 1000's of dubstep tunes floating about by now, hows it possible to comment upon them all at once - postively or negatively? -q-

baz

Post by baz » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:54 pm

all these forums go in cycles, people arrive, get bored of gushing praise / the actual music, get narky, post something confrontational or deliberately critical, endless useless discussion ensues as though anyone is gonna act on what's said or be talked round on their totally subjective experience of the music - blah blah... i though elgato was serious earlier and thought 'finally!' but it was a joke.. oh well.

baz

Post by baz » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:55 pm

i know that's a useless thing to actually post on a discussion board but it's been a long day, never mind.

slothrop

Post by slothrop » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:58 pm

baz wrote:i know that's a useless thing to actually post on a discussion board but it's been a long day, never mind.
'Discussion' would be the word wouldn't it - eg people talking about what they do and do not like?

ufo over easy

Post by ufo over easy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:10 pm

Shonky wrote:it doesn't become a better tune because it's really loud - just louder.
Smacked it, wicked post. Big up shonky :)
:d: