Kode9 - Sonic Warfare

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
evil madmen

Re: Re:

Post by evil madmen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:16 pm

cyrusfx wrote:
evil madmen wrote:
cyrusfx wrote:
stappard wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but surely top 40 radio stations play the same things due to their position in the top 40 chart?

I understand that those songs have to get into that position somehow, and am perfectly aware of the cynical tactics employed by major record labels, but this still sounds like conspiracy rather than theory.
Actually they really only play 20-30 out of the 40, with past Top 40 interspersed between, and tracks rotate in and out very slowly.

And yes, this is a theory about a conspiracy. The theory is, all of today's Top 40 music is crafted with the exploitation of human psychology in mind, NOT because "artists" are trying to create "art." People need to recognize when they are being manipulated and avertised to, if they want to maintain their intellectual sovereignty.

If they don't, and don't mind playing the role of the hapless consumer bot, well sometimes I'm envious because ignorance really is bliss.
I noticed post of yours similar to this in another thread
I think its the other way around, a lot of the general public is dumb enough to enjoy stuff like that and only stuff like that. People are just lazy and dont explore their music tastes
I agree with you 100% and don't see how your statement is "the other way around." The record companies and radio stations count on people being dumb and lazy in order to subconsiously direct them to purchase their products. Making a product that is a dumb and lazy person's wet dream is their ultimate end goal. That's the goal I fear a lot of current music gravitates towards and its not something that should be celebrated or admired.

I hate it when people tell me I "have to respect" certain artists for work they've done in the past when its obvious all they do in the present is churn out soulless, overly-regurgitated crap. I don't have to respect anybody who I think is trying to manipulate the weak-minded for their own financial gain.

In any case, there's far more & better music to listen to out there so why bother spending any more time on hating the radio, I'm kind of done running the course with this one. Until somebody re-prompts me.

And book = purchased. There's only 5 copies left on Amazon right now...
Yeah I think we're pretty much in agreement on this one
random trio wrote:Its about being a leader. Theres enough sheep out there already.

Play what you like and enjoy it.

lalanana

Re: Kode9 - Sonic Warfare

Post by lalanana » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:20 pm

about the top 40 argument - sometimes music becomes more about the image than about the music (Lady Gaga anyone?) Whether this is due to a conspiracy or not is up for debate I guess, but I think a lot of people mix up trying to make a profit and conspiring. Laziness plays a big role for most people, they just don't have the time to explore music.

Anyway, about the book, I can't say that the subject really interests me at all, but I will probably leaf through some of it when I get some time. (And when it comes to bookstores)

Anyway, any reviews by people who have read it?

my left retina

Post by my left retina » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:53 am

Sonic Router
pompende wrote:aint no fuckaround mixblog

seckle

Post by seckle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:08 pm

melissa's stuff is solid as usual.

Xavy

Re:

Post by Xavy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:17 pm

geiom wrote:Anyone got a 'mosquito' in their ends ? that's 1 thing that is mentioned in the book. horrible tings !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_(device)
I've got a mosquito in my garden. Stops the foxes from shitting allover the place.

coxy

Post by coxy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:06 am

someone should send that review in to pseuds corner in private eye.

djfurness

Post by djfurness » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:27 pm

Forgot all about this and didnt realise it was out, just asked the library in college to order it in for us :lol:

dreamizm

Re: Re:

Post by dreamizm » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:56 pm

evil madmen wrote:
cyrusfx wrote:
evil madmen wrote:
cyrusfx wrote:
stappard wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but surely top 40 radio stations play the same things due to their position in the top 40 chart?

I understand that those songs have to get into that position somehow, and am perfectly aware of the cynical tactics employed by major record labels, but this still sounds like conspiracy rather than theory.
Actually they really only play 20-30 out of the 40, with past Top 40 interspersed between, and tracks rotate in and out very slowly.

And yes, this is a theory about a conspiracy. The theory is, all of today's Top 40 music is crafted with the exploitation of human psychology in mind, NOT because "artists" are trying to create "art." People need to recognize when they are being manipulated and avertised to, if they want to maintain their intellectual sovereignty.

If they don't, and don't mind playing the role of the hapless consumer bot, well sometimes I'm envious because ignorance really is bliss.
I noticed post of yours similar to this in another thread
I think its the other way around, a lot of the general public is dumb enough to enjoy stuff like that and only stuff like that. People are just lazy and dont explore their music tastes
I agree with you 100% and don't see how your statement is "the other way around." The record companies and radio stations count on people being dumb and lazy in order to subconsiously direct them to purchase their products. Making a product that is a dumb and lazy person's wet dream is their ultimate end goal. That's the goal I fear a lot of current music gravitates towards and its not something that should be celebrated or admired.

I hate it when people tell me I "have to respect" certain artists for work they've done in the past when its obvious all they do in the present is churn out soulless, overly-regurgitated crap. I don't have to respect anybody who I think is trying to manipulate the weak-minded for their own financial gain.

In any case, there's far more & better music to listen to out there so why bother spending any more time on hating the radio, I'm kind of done running the course with this one. Until somebody re-prompts me.

And book = purchased. There's only 5 copies left on Amazon right now...
Yeah I think we're pretty much in agreement on this one
Definitely think there is something "not right" abt commercial radio. Music has too much influence on the way I feel/think for me to just hand it over to some mainstream donut pumping snap crackle n pop into my brain and dumbing down world events
silkie wrote:people are happy to be ur best friend n shit when they think they can get something out of u, then when they surpass u, they couldnt give a flying fuck about ya. that not dubstep thats life

Luke Yeah?

Post by Luke Yeah? » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:09 pm

Ordered my copy from Waterstones on my campus ages ago, firstly got delayed until around christmas time and now there saying January 25th :( surely this is not right if people have got it now! Cant cancel though for fear of loosing my deposit :( Really want to read this as well!

cyrusfx

Post by cyrusfx » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Got mine in the mail the other day, haven't quite had time to give it a good go yet, but i did flip to a page explaining the concept of "earworms," basically a musical "hook" that burrows itself into your brain and then has to be mentally re-played in order to be "itched..." pretty interesting stuff. maybe i'll do a more thorough review when i've finished reading it.

It reads kind of like a textook, but for people who are in to knowledge and the explanation of ideas this is a good thing.

I always thought that having fans in academia can really carry an artistic movement a long way and kind of help add to its legitimacy. Remember, academicians are the ones who write history.

big ups Steve!

oscarhenson

Post by oscarhenson » Fri May 07, 2010 4:00 pm

saw steve do a talk about sonic warfare last night in a tiny little cafe/bar/venue thing down the road from me in hackney.. wicked setting, he played a few tunes before (not a set, just off his iTunes). he's not a brilliant public speaker but his ideas and research is amazing, and some of the clips he showed were pretty fucked, for example these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMyY3_dmrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWxwNQfo-8

there was also a chat afterwards with the audience because the place was so small, and it was really wicked to hear him talk about some of the ideas in the form of a conversation. if you get a chance to see his lecture, do, because it really helps to have some of the complexities explained, and also you can really get a feel of where he's coming from with the philosophy of his song writing and the whole hyperdub vibe.

i think someone might have recorded it so if it pops up i'll post it here

dickman69

Post by dickman69 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:56 pm

oscarhenson wrote:some of the clips he showed were pretty fucked, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMyY3_dmrM
Man, my two good friends go to University of Pittsburgh, and they of course were messing around outside during G20, both of them got hit by one of these (along with tear gas and bean bags). They said it was absolutely horrible, like all they wanted to do was just run away.
every Tuesday 11pm EST on http://cosmicsound.club

buy my tunes pls
Soundcloud

tobo

Post by tobo » Fri May 07, 2010 6:03 pm

oscarhenson wrote:i think someone might have recorded it so if it pops up i'll post it here
I'd be very interested in hearing this.

seckle

Post by seckle » Sat May 08, 2010 3:55 pm

oscarhenson wrote:if you get a chance to see his lecture, do, because it really helps to have some of the complexities explained, and also you can really get a feel of where he's coming from with the philosophy of his song writing and the whole hyperdub vibe.
definitely catch the lecture. i saw the NYC one, and it helps tie in some of theory into a wider context.

awash

Post by awash » Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Jubz

Post by Jubz » Sat May 08, 2010 6:20 pm

Watching the above video, it has struck me that this technology could be a godsend for clubs/live music venues - if you can direct the sound then you can minimise the amount that intrudes on neighbouring areas, and consequently reduce the number of complaints.

pleatedskirt

Post by pleatedskirt » Sun May 09, 2010 4:16 pm

sorry, this is in response to oscarhenson

i attended this talk on thursday and so far havent seen anything else about it online. but kode9s presentation and public speaking skills were dire. there was no structure in what he was saying and he never really went into enough details of the disjoined points he was making. its a shame because he obviously knows a lot about this topic and is so well respected (my myself included). after the interval he had a chance to redeem himslef but again the same lack of direction and confusion during the q&a. a couple of times he said "i've forgotten what i was talking about" or "i've forgotten the question". sorry, i really hate the to be bashing somebody on a forum but it really was a bewildering and disappointing evening.

danoldboy

Post by danoldboy » Mon May 10, 2010 9:24 am

Went to the talk at the festival hall and it was really good. To get the most out of it you definitely need to be familiar with the book beforehand, there's not enough time for him to go through the detail of every point he makes on the night but the workings are all laid out in the book.

The q&a was the highlight for me , got a much broader sense of where he was coming from.