Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Opinions on 'Giggs'

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows

Postby joe muggs » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:30 pm

whups, duplicate post soz.
joe muggs

Postby sjc » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:33 pm

Joe Muggs wrote:I think you are really wrong about Can Ox. Cold Vein is really gimmicky - I loved it but it wears thin. That whole angular, dark vibe, synthy hip hop got really tired really quickly after Funkcrusher Plus tbh.

el-p's first solo album fantastic damage is 10 times better than funcrusher plus. never really liked the cold vein that much as vast aire always sounded too smug and pleased with himself but the production on there was really something special.
sjc

Postby Pistonsbeneath » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Joe Muggs wrote:
Piston wrote:groups like cannibal ox get slated by 'real' hip-hop heads when they are superior in every way save for it's lack of accessibility to morons used to music doing nothing but talking about stuff (material possessions), shooting people, back in the day, which gang you roll with, how you did so so well to get out of the ghetto, fucking etc etc etc

^^^Opinion^^^.

I think you are really wrong about Can Ox. Cold Vein is really gimmicky - I loved it but it wears thin. That whole angular, dark vibe, synthy hip hop got really tired really quickly after Funkcrusher Plus tbh.

You clearly don't see what is good in so-called "materialistic" hip hop, and as the other poster said, that's fine, that's your opinion, no problem. But to say that Can Ox are quantifiably superior act in *every way* to, say, Biggie Smalls or Jay-Z (both almost entirely concerned with all the topics you write off) is a pretty big statement, don't you think?

I'm no gangster rap fan, don't listen to much MC-based music for pleasure on the whole - but I've started to appreciate what Giggs does. I think it was "came up from the dirt like a parsnip" that did it actually. It's such a "WTF?!" line that I started going back and listening to the construction of his rhymes and they are SLICK. They are, like dhaywood says, "so on point you can't see it". It's total stealth rhyming.

cold vein is a perfect record that can appeal outside it's genre....good music tends to do that...their choice of samples are untapped gold...giorgio moroder was inspired!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkpTRrAliA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ICdCJNaKI

Jay z is hugely overrated as are tupac and biggie smalls....more people than you would think say this....generally people with a better overall knowledge of music as well tend to look outside those guys...

sure everything is subjective...who doesn't know this?...by speaking i am stating my opinion....

any music can be good...i like some hip-hop that talks about 'stuff' a lot purely because of the delivery, beat etc....it just gets to a point where it all seems a bit ridiculous....a genre built so heavily on being 'real' seems to give a two fingered salute to all the poor african americans living in the real ghetto....many of them love it of course as it gives them aspirations of wealth being the only thing worth striving for whereas groups like can ox, roots, black star & dead prez actually seek to empower people to become free from want of this 'stuff' that ultimately isn't the answer...

i would say durrty goodz delivery is echelons above giggs as well with better rhymes than the aforementioned every 3 seconds..
Pistonsbeneath

Postby capo ultra » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Piston wrote:Jay z is hugely overrated as are tupac and biggie smalls....more people than you would think say this....generally people with a better overall knowledge of music as well tend to look outside those guys....

wrong

you mean people who get too anal about hiphop and 'the message' look beyond those guys, biggie was a don, for real. Tupac and Jay Z wrote tunes that became immensely popular, that's a skill that is extremely hard to master
what is of value and wisdom for one man seems nonsense to another.
capo ultra

Postby Pistonsbeneath » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:48 pm

Capo Ultra wrote:
Piston wrote:Jay z is hugely overrated as are tupac and biggie smalls....more people than you would think say this....generally people with a better overall knowledge of music as well tend to look outside those guys....

wrong

you mean people who get too anal about hiphop and 'the message' look beyond those guys, biggie was a don, for real. Tupac and Jay Z wrote tunes that became immensely popular, that's a skill that is extremely hard to master

yo foreal thats true

cascada & n-dubz are masters of the craft of being popular yo...

anyway it's going a bt offtopic...i don't have much of a problem with jay z or tupac and even like some of their tunes...clearly if people don't enjoy their music then they're pretentious though lol

what seems to happen in hip-hop is the story becomes more important than the music...people that don't want the fame and go about making tunes anonymously are overlooked....

so do you really think they are better than black star & the roots?
Pistonsbeneath

Postby adam_misst » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:06 pm

Can't be arsed to trall through pages of arguements, here's my view on Giggs -

old.
adam_misst

Postby rekordah » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:28 am

Giggs kills it.

"Mainstream" Hip-Hop has been shitting on most "conscious" and/or "underground" stuff from a great height for a while now.
19th October - Jahtari Presents Tapes EP Launch Party @ Gramaphone, London w/ Tapes, Clause Four & International Observer.
23rd October - Galway, Ireland.
31st October - UFO @ Dojo, Bristol w/ Dema.

http://www.myspace.com/rekorder87
rekordah

Postby Pistonsbeneath » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:33 am

Rekordah wrote:Giggs kills it.

"Mainstream" Hip-Hop has been shitting on most "conscious" and/or "underground" stuff from a great height for a while now.

how the fuck could you qualify that statement?

it hasn't....it's mostly shit...although it isn't about mainstream or underground it's about content and production
Pistonsbeneath

Postby rekordah » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:04 am

Piston wrote:

it hasn't....it's mostly shit...although it isn't about mainstream or underground it's about content and production

Look, It's my opinion. I'm not gonna spend my time arguing with you, there's no point. You seem to think The Roots and Black Star are the pinnacle of modern Hip-Hop, whereas I pretty much think the exact opposite. I don't think there's much chance that I'm gonna change your mind.

Just realise that just because the lyrics are seemingly aggressive and materialistic, that doesn't mean the music is of no merit.
19th October - Jahtari Presents Tapes EP Launch Party @ Gramaphone, London w/ Tapes, Clause Four & International Observer.

rekordah

Postby dhaywood » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:20 am

4 real tho i can hear where he is coming from

my dude is just one of those guys who will never like this kind of music and he has his reasons

u gotta respect that
dhaywood

Postby Pistonsbeneath » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:23 am

Rekordah wrote:
Piston wrote:

Look, It's my opinion. I'm not gonna spend my time arguing with you, there's no point. You seem to think The Roots and Black Star are the pinnacle of modern Hip-Hop, whereas I pretty much think the exact opposite. I don't think there's much chance that I'm gonna change your mind.

Just realise that just because the lyrics are seemingly aggressive and materialistic, that doesn't mean the music is of no merit.

just seems odd to me when people don't give reasons...

of course it has merit...as i said i like some tunes that fall into those categories...

too an extent though you are right as there is little coming out but mainstream hip-hop atm...this is due to all the money being thrown at the music that keeps the poor folk wanting more stuff....
Pistonsbeneath

Postby dhaywood » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:42 am

na ur wrong bro

go down 2 ruthless records the shop is full of uk material

uk road rap

mtv base banned giggs/sn1...

last time i heard so much UK music comin outta ppls cars in london was when i was 12/13 and so solid were blowing up

edit: lol @ "poor folk"... smh
dhaywood

Postby menacetosobriety » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:42 am

Giggs sounds really monotonous

His lyrics are weak and he has about as much flow as a stagnant pond

No charisma either

Tres boring!
menacetosobriety

Postby muks » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:10 am

PEOPLE you might not feel him but Wat his doin for music in general is fantastic, AND DONT FORGET ALL THIS IS HIS OWN HARD WORK, NO BIG LABEL or anything, just a bunch of people from south putting in some hard work. thats why i rate him, because the industry wasnt interested before so he done it himself and made them listen.. his gonna be a self made artist and i reckon his gonna go far
no grime artist has had rapid growth like him below is a little intro off his myspace

Not many street artists can boast sales of 100,000 mixtapes over two years, and none can lay claim to owning their own shop in order to keep up with merchandise demand. But since 2008, Giggs (so named because he used to giggle all the time) is the only name that’s mattered where British rap is concerned.

It was in this same year that the south London bred rappers debut, ‘Talkin’ The Hardest’ freestyle, became the unofficial anthem on road. With mixtape sales going through the roof, Giggs’ debut album Walk In Da Park (which he made in just two weeks and has notched up over 20,000 sales of to date) sold out nationwide, within just hours of hitting the shops. He also beat the likes of chart topping artist Dizzee Rascal and Chipmunk to win the BET Award for Best UK Hip Hop Act at a star-studded ceremony in Atlanta, USA.

Hailing from Peckham, Giggs (aka Hollowman, an alias he adopted following a stint in prison and a desire to move away from street activity) is regarded as the missing link in the hip-hop game. Known for his slow flow, deep vocals and poetic use of slanguage, his laid-back manner has had critics compare his rap swagger to the likes of Jeezy and The Clipse.

Head honcho of the SN1 (Still Number 1) crew, he delivers the negatives and the positives with his aural reality checks – something that has proved a battle when it comes to beating down the doors of the more mainstream industry.

But having attracted the likes of Joel Ortiz, CTR and Green Lantern in America, back home he’s been working with everyone from Sway, Skepta and Wiley to Shola Ama and The Streets, on the forthcoming single ‘Slow Song’ (produced by and featuring Mike Skinner). Radio support comes from long-term co-d Tim Westwood as well as fellow Radio 1 DJs including Zane Lowe and Mistajam.
muks

Postby Pistonsbeneath » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:29 am

see i can appreciate how hard he must have worked to get up there but what ultimately bothers me is everyone saying how it's great to see uk music doing well and attracting interest from america....maybe that's because it sounds REALLY american????

so what's the point?

why do we even need to make hip-hop?

why not focus on our own thing?
Pistonsbeneath

Postby raffia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:52 am

can see why people like giggs but he just sounds depressed to me. and he always sounds the same.
raffia

Postby rekordah » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Piston wrote:just seems odd to me when people don't give reasons...

Do people really need to give reasons why they enjoy some music more than others? Is it really that black and white? I think that it's a sign of the quality and power of some music that you can't explain what it is exactly that you like about it, it just has that indescribable something.

And besides, do you really expect me try and reason with you when you seem so relentlessly, and aggressively, set in your ways? I'd gladly have a reasoned conversation with someone about what I think the advantages of mainstream over underground are (namely more creative and innovative production by the way), but with you it just seems like I'd be stepping into some pointless e-squabble and I really can't be arsed with that.

Piston wrote:too an extent though you are right as there is little coming out but mainstream hip-hop atm...this is due to all the money being thrown at the music that keeps the poor folk wanting more stuff....

That is rather an odd statement.

rekordah

Postby deamonds » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:18 pm

muks wrote:PEOPLE you might not feel him but Wat his doin for music in general is fantastic, AND DONT FORGET ALL THIS IS HIS OWN HARD WORK, NO BIG LABEL or anything, just a bunch of people from south putting in some hard work. thats why i rate him, because the industry wasnt interested before so he done it himself and made them listen.. his gonna be a self made artist and i reckon his gonna go far
no grime artist has had rapid growth like him below is a little intro off his myspace

Not many street artists can boast sales of 100,000 mixtapes over two years, and none can lay claim to owning their own shop in order to keep up with merchandise demand. But since 2008, Giggs (so named because he used to giggle all the time) is the only name that’s mattered where British rap is concerned.

It was in this same year that the south London bred rappers debut, ‘Talkin’ The Hardest’ freestyle, became the unofficial anthem on road. With mixtape sales going through the roof, Giggs’ debut album Walk In Da Park (which he made in just two weeks and has notched up over 20,000 sales of to date) sold out nationwide, within just hours of hitting the shops. He also beat the likes of chart topping artist Dizzee Rascal and Chipmunk to win the BET Award for Best UK Hip Hop Act at a star-studded ceremony in Atlanta, USA.

Hailing from Peckham, Giggs (aka Hollowman, an alias he adopted following a stint in prison and a desire to move away from street activity) is regarded as the missing link in the hip-hop game. Known for his slow flow, deep vocals and poetic use of slanguage, his laid-back manner has had critics compare his rap swagger to the likes of Jeezy and The Clipse.

Head honcho of the SN1 (Still Number 1) crew, he delivers the negatives and the positives with his aural reality checks – something that has proved a battle when it comes to beating down the doors of the more mainstream industry.

But having attracted the likes of Joel Ortiz, CTR and Green Lantern in America, back home he’s been working with everyone from Sway, Skepta and Wiley to Shola Ama and The Streets, on the forthcoming single ‘Slow Song’ (produced by and featuring Mike Skinner). Radio support comes from long-term co-d Tim Westwood as well as fellow Radio 1 DJs including Zane Lowe and Mistajam.

is that a copy & paste from his press release/myspace?
deamonds

Postby sparklar » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:29 pm

FairiesWearBoots wrote:

man - that is awful, Mike Skinner should stop trying to sing :oops:

I personally think it works really well in this case
sparklar

Postby webstarr » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:49 pm

a lot of people are into it but I just don't get it. Not liking the beats & to me he lacks any sort of charisma
webstarr

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion