@ The new generation of producers , why...

?
kuklee

Re: @ The new generation of producers , why...

Post by kuklee » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:46 am

nakedlunch wrote:
kuklee wrote: nakedlunch (but a lot of others) don't sign new artists...
'New' artists I signed(their first release)

Boddika
Kevin McPhee
Instra:mental(1st non dnb release)
Breakage(1st dubstep tune)
Trevino
My man, these weren't new artists were they? Maybe except for Kevin McPhee, I don't follow his music so I don't know him that well. The rest of your list were already well established artists (aka got the hype behind them) prior to being signed.
Let me just quote myself
even then there's a big possibility that behind the alter-ego there are 2 well-known artists that will reveal themselves on xlr8r or w/e to create more hype.

nakedlunch

Post by nakedlunch » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:05 pm

kuklee wrote: My man, these weren't new artists were they?
Hence 'New'

But either way you're going of on a tangent of trying to reason things out , as it stands the younger generation of producers who are looking to release music have preconceptions of how things should be , I can speak from my own experiences and from experiences of others , that's not how things are.

You yourself even send out random links and expect immediate feedback , and wonder why you don't get it...
kuklee wrote: I know signing a new artist comes with perks as he/she doesn't have the hype behind, so sales will probably not be as good etc. etc.
The reason I don't sign new artists is that 99% of them are just producing carbon copies of what's popular at the moment , the label is not a vehicle for tribute bands.
http://www.surus.co.uk/naked-lunch/
http://www.youtube.com/user/mickylunch
http://soundcloud.com/nakedlunch

Forthcoming in 2013 - Kevin McPhee , Stingray313 , Endian ,Nubian Mindz...

alex bk-bk
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by alex bk-bk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:23 pm

chekov wrote:do you still listen to stuff from people who've sent you bits in the past that you weren't into?

yes (up to a point obviously)

but i try to give everything a chance as much as time permits

kuklee

Post by kuklee » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:40 pm

nakedlunch wrote:
Hence 'New'

But either way you're going of on a tangent of trying to reason things out , as it stands the younger generation of producers who are looking to release music have preconceptions of how things should be , I can speak from my own experiences and from experiences of others , that's not how things are.

You yourself even send out random links and expect immediate feedback , and wonder why you don't get it...

The reason I don't sign new artists is that 99% of them are just producing carbon copies of what's popular at the moment , the label is not a vehicle for tribute bands.
What you consider 'new' is actually not new. If skream would come up with some alter ego, the alter ego would be new, but the producer wouldn't be new, hence he'd (+label) still take advantage of the hype that he created with his skream name.

I didn't send out random links, maybe i'm just a bad dropbox user...

Regarding of the carbon copies you're fully right, the sad thing is when you see them carbon copies grow big just because it sounds like xyz

icecoldchrissy

Post by icecoldchrissy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Every generation is full of quitters.

There have been mad quitters in the arts and music since day one.

chekov

Post by chekov » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:19 pm

alex bk-bk wrote:
chekov wrote:do you still listen to stuff from people who've sent you bits in the past that you weren't into?

yes (up to a point obviously)

but i try to give everything a chance as much as time permits
big ups for that, must take some effort
alex bk-bk wrote:some of you lot chat bare shit

skimpi

Post by skimpi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:30 pm

nakedlunch wrote:
skimpi wrote:I sent you some tunes before and you never got back, I thought more that you are just not into that kind of stuff rather than your think its an actual shit tune (I hope lol) so then I kinda think to not send stuff like that cos if you didnt like the first one, why would you like the next ones.
I can't feasibly get back to everyone , but if you desire something(a release) then why don't you put in the work to get it , lack of feedback should not be a deterrent from sending tunes? it doesn't seem to be for 75% of soundcloud.
Don't really know what you are getting at here, but I mean like, if I send you a track and it's not your thing, why will anything else similar I make be your thing? I just think like what the kind of stuff the label releases and if what I have got doesn't fit with that, I won't send it haha, or are you saying that you should just send shit anyway cos it might be their thing? Don't wanna be clogging up your inbox with shit that I don't think you will like.
TopManLurka wrote: thanks for confirming
OiOiii #BELTER

nakedlunch

Post by nakedlunch » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:31 pm

skimpi wrote: Don't really know what you are getting at here, but I mean like, if I send you a track and it's not your thing, why will anything else similar I make be your thing?
You're planning on launching a career in music by making the exact same sounding tune everytime? will the tunes you produce this year be identical to the tunes you make next year?
http://www.surus.co.uk/naked-lunch/
http://www.youtube.com/user/mickylunch
http://soundcloud.com/nakedlunch

Forthcoming in 2013 - Kevin McPhee , Stingray313 , Endian ,Nubian Mindz...

skimpi

Post by skimpi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:57 pm

nakedlunch wrote:
skimpi wrote: Don't really know what you are getting at here, but I mean like, if I send you a track and it's not your thing, why will anything else similar I make be your thing?
You're planning on launching a career in music by making the exact same sounding tune everytime? will the tunes you produce this year be identical to the tunes you make next year?
no lol, I make loads of different shit, but the point is they dont sound anything like the stuff you release. I dont mean tunes sounding exactly the same, but the same vibe and shit.

All im saying is that you are moaning/complaining about people sending you tunes once, and never again, maybe its just because they dont think you will like the kind of shit they are doing based on you not feeling the first lot.
OiOiii #BELTER

TooMuch

Post by TooMuch » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:01 am

If you want some inspiration look at Eats Everything. Hes been doing it for years. Guys in is 30s and got discovered what a couple of years ago. Took a huge decision and quit his job and was on the dole, all to focus on his tunes and sent loads to a lot of people. Was only until CatzNDogz signed 'Entrance Song' that he became anything. He's been djing for year since 96 or something.

But yeh that guys got the world at his feet now. Just shows to stick at it. Huge respect for him.

Read full thing here. I read in DJ Mag on the plane few months back.

skell1ngton777

Post by skell1ngton777 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:42 am

If someone doesn't respond after a few times i usually stop sending them stuff because i feel like i am spamming and bothering people

Isley

Post by Isley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 am

i think the real question is regarding proper etiquette when sending trax and trying to get label's attention. there's definitely right and wrong ways of going about that.

dublerium

Post by dublerium » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Interesting thread, it's good to hear label owners thoughts on this. I haven't sent anything out yet, just been showing things I'm making to friends. Set myself a target of 4 years from when I start producing until I'm producing material I really feel is worth putting out and that someone else would want to put out. That way I have a realistic time scale to learn my studio equipment well and be comfortable enough in the studio to consistently produce tracks I like and some that I would feel are right for releasing, then I would send that to label owners and DJs.

alex bk-bk
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by alex bk-bk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:07 pm

dublerium wrote:Interesting thread, it's good to hear label owners thoughts on this. I haven't sent anything out yet, just been showing things I'm making to friends. Set myself a target of 4 years from when I start producing until I'm producing material I really feel is worth putting out and that someone else would want to put out. That way I have a realistic time scale to learn my studio equipment well and be comfortable enough in the studio to consistently produce tracks I like and some that I would feel are right for releasing, then I would send that to label owners and DJs.
See? a man say FOUR YEARS!

Some of these newcomers will spend a few days and start tryin to fire off emails

skell1ngton777

Post by skell1ngton777 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:41 pm

I've been producing and DJing on and off for nigh on 20 years believe it or not lol

the double m

Post by the double m » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:52 pm

i read somewhere that wut was the first tune girl unit ever wrote is that tru

VoteYes

Post by VoteYes » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:02 pm

I've been messing around with production for a few years on and off and have never sent to a label. Tunes just aren't good enough tbh.

People need to have patience.

skimpi

Post by skimpi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:49 pm

imami wrote:I've been producing and DJing on and off for nigh on 20 years believe it or not lol
not, ableton has only been around for 2-9 years
OiOiii #BELTER

skell1ngton777

Post by skell1ngton777 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:51 pm

damn u exposed me bruv

skimpi

Post by skimpi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:58 pm

They dont call me Disexposure for nuthin
OiOiii #BELTER