Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

The Official Growl Bass Thread

Postby shim » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:07 pm

hey guys. ive been reading the "How to Sound Like Skrillex and Make Skrillex Bass" and lets be honest. that thread hasn't gone anywhere.

I'm making this thread because the growl bass (Monster Bass, RAWR Bass; goes by many names) is quickly becoming the new Reese and is almost a production standard in modern day EDM. We can ALL benefit from a thread that explores different ways to make basses growl and i know for a fact that when the alpacas are extracted there are a ton of talented producers on these forums who know a bit about music production and sound recreation.

To be clear this is NOT a thread about Skrillex. Skrillex very likely made the first truly growl basses while emulating Noisia (see SMANS, First of the Year, ETC.) and since then has been used in concept by Kill the Noise, Knife Party, Feed Me; you guys know the big names.

So far i have not met anyone who could recreate these noises or honestly could even get close, but i would like for THIS to be the thread where we unleash the monsters. monsters feed on alpacas, so lets scare them away by talking about making patches from scratch and modulating parameters and stuff. 8)

WHAT THIS THREAD IS FOR:
1. Discussing concepts behind growl basses
2. Techniques for creating and automating vowel sounds
3. Posting tutorials on sounds you made (soundcloud is preferred)
4. Posting sounds you make with a willingness to explore and explain how you made them
5. Being productive. Please try to only post something if it is educational or constructive.

WHAT THIS THREAD ISN'T FOR:
1. how do i be skrillex?
2. how does skrillex make those (any other noise that isnt growl)
3. how can i get massive for free?
4. is this beatport?
5. cooking recipes
6. praise

P.S. This thread WILL attract noobs and i encourage you all to be smart about it and just fucking IGNORE THEM. do not feed the alpacas.
shim
 
Posts:
89
Joined:
Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 am

Postby shim » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Almost all production noises are relatively simple concepts. the sounds that are super super complex with effects are usually somewhat messy and unappealing from my humble production experience.

this is what we know.

1.) growls are created by fm. this is not the only way to make them but we know for a fact that growls can be made efficiently through fm.
2.) Growls use EQ modulation. this isnt a new concept and neurofunk guys have been doing it for years.
3.) there are effects on the growls. obviously so they dont sound like dry shit.

i think with these bits of knowledge we can start to get a solid formula for growly basses.
shim
 
Posts:
89
Joined:
Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 am

Postby shim » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:15 pm

HOW I USED TO MAKE GROWLS.

https://soundcloud.com/theofficialhookjr/yoda-pants-demo

literally all this patch is, is a sin modulated by another sine modulated by a formant 10 wave in fm8. after that i automated a eq with a large spike to make it more vowelly.
after that very very minimal effects. a little bit of high end reverb and maybe a mostly dry vocoder.

BRING ON THE IDEAS BRETHREN!!!!!
Last edited by shim on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shim
 
Posts:
89
Joined:
Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 am

Postby narrator » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Great idea for a thread. There are loads of growls types out there.
User avatar
narrator
 
Posts:
313
Joined:
Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:41 pm

Postby OfficialDAPT » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:32 pm

I used massive
7 year old BROstep/Trapstep/Chillstep producer from India. Young. Talented. 7 Years Old. Super skilled for age. Signed to NOW22. Biography written in 3rd person on soundcloud OBVI. The next Skrillex. Wait I don't even like him anymore LOL. Super talented. Only 6 years old.
User avatar
OfficialDAPT
 
Posts:
1477
Joined:
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:51 am

Postby Augment » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:32 pm

http://soundcloud.com/blinkesko/skirilex-bazz/s-fwA2j
Something I made with 3xOsc a lil while back. Loads of effects on it.
basically, i just made a harmonically rich sound, ran it through the wow filter early in the chain to bring some vocal-ishness to it, then distort like crazy and after everything I automated an EQ. D:
Augment
 
Posts:
1932
Joined:
Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:59 pm
Location:
Norway

Postby baddaBOOM » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:34 pm

The mavrik is releasing an album and the guys sound very similar skrillex basslines and growls correct me if im wrong , incredibly similar ..
check him out at his latest weird teaser Lol http://www.facebook.com/themavrik :Q:
http://soundcloud.com/riotzdubstep/riotz-deathcab
http://soundcloud.com/riotzdubstep/riotz-ratchet
"I'm sure someone's going to give you massive attitude for this.
And maybe a massive smack upside the head."
baddaBOOM
 
Posts:
125
Joined:
Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Postby Eskimo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Ok there is this supercool wave table in massive called modern talking, it makes the best growlz ever :o

Lol just kidding, cool thread mate, hopefully it will go in a good direction :3
User avatar
Eskimo
 
Posts:
271
Joined:
Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:19 pm
Location:
Sweden

Postby baddaBOOM » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Eskimo wrote:Ok there is this supercool wave table in massive called modern talking, it makes the best growlz ever :o

Lol just kidding, cool thread mate, hopefully it will go in a good direction :3


Lol almost had me trippin there mate :lol:
http://soundcloud.com/riotzdubstep/riotz-deathcab
http://soundcloud.com/riotzdubstep/riotz-ratchet
"I'm sure someone's going to give you massive attitude for this.
And maybe a massive smack upside the head."
baddaBOOM
 
Posts:
125
Joined:
Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Postby Eridu » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:04 pm

the quickest way if you are just working with filters is to modulate in the area where you hear the growl and then apply a decent amount of resonance. Then distortion to make it more aggressive. I think everyone here has probably taken this step already.
User avatar
Eridu
 
Posts:
377
Joined:
Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:32 pm

Postby shim » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:16 pm

i find that instead of adding resonance on the filter i filter it with no resonance THEN add another eq with a big spike where the filter is. this way you can make the band wider and make it sound mor realistic. my 2 cents on the filter subject ; ]
shim
 
Posts:
89
Joined:
Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 am

Postby Instep » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:40 pm

I got something CRAZY coming for you guys!

just wait... he heee
Instep
 
Posts:
84
Joined:
Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Postby Climax » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:45 pm

i wanna hear more about those reverberated delayed dungeon growls...

not really my production style but im really rating those types of tracks at the moment
User avatar
Climax
 
Posts:
288
Joined:
Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:47 pm
Location:
Chicago

Postby Instep » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Instep
 
Posts:
84
Joined:
Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Postby shim » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Instep wrote:What do you guys think?


sound good. i think the cabinet distortion effect (if thats what it is) is a bit wet but beside that its a good sound. what was your technique?
shim
 
Posts:
89
Joined:
Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 am

Postby Instep » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:29 pm

i used some wow filters, camelphat (which adds the nice flanging effect).. and honestly a shitton more than I'd rather keep secret haha

When you say the cabinet sound? Are you referring to the shrill upper harmonics that are too harsh? because I find that is often a problem. I actually just realized that I was using 1-2 amp instances in ableton yet I was also running the cabinet amp effect in fm8.. so i'm gonna take off the fm8 cabinet and keep trying.
Instep
 
Posts:
84
Joined:
Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Postby OfficialDAPT » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Instep wrote:and honestly a shitton more than I'd rather keep secret haha

I fucking hate when people do this
7 year old BROstep/Trapstep/Chillstep producer from India. Young. Talented. 7 Years Old. Super skilled for age. Signed to NOW22. Biography written in 3rd person on soundcloud OBVI. The next Skrillex. Wait I don't even like him anymore LOL. Super talented. Only 6 years old.
User avatar
OfficialDAPT
 
Posts:
1477
Joined:
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:51 am

Postby Reversed » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:36 pm

OfficialDAPT wrote:
Instep wrote:and honestly a shitton more than I'd rather keep secret haha

I fucking hate when people do this

^
why do you participate in a conversation about production techniques when you're not willing to share like others are.

P.S.: I am trying to enhance hookjunior's method, it basically sounds good but since it's sinewaves a lot of harmonics are lost in that patch, therefore i am currently experimenting with using other waveforms as carrier, etc. and also i find that a manual flanger at a certain position can make a nice spectrum that makes it sound even more growl-ish. Anyway I'll keep at it for a bit, maybe i'll get something useful.
Also try using 2 Operators that control the carrier and are modulated by the formant 10 wave with different characteristics, i.e. sine + saw, or something like that.

EDIT: The several types of growls in this track have been discussed on the forum before i think, however no one made any great sounds; Most of it is reese based it seems, but we will probably not figure out how this works anyway, because Feed Me/Spor's filtering is insane.

Reversed
 
Posts:
161
Joined:
Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:04 pm
Location:
Germany, Bavaria

Postby Instep » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:52 pm

OfficialDAPT wrote:
Instep wrote:and honestly a shitton more than I'd rather keep secret haha

I fucking hate when people do this



i mean its not like the coke recipe or where they're hiding andy kaufman.. iits just that i don't want to spill out every last detail that I worked really hard to figure out. If some guys are smart with all this then I'll discuss some of my techniques and they can with theres. But I'm not just gonna be like.. hey heres my sound =

new midi track -->insert fm8--->route op. a to op.f-->insert sausage fatterner --> command+G to create instrument rack-->assign color to macro one-->step6 -->step7-->step8-----------------------step29-------------------step67-->step68--------------------Sub bass - create new instance of fm8--------------------compression-------------eq---------------------distortion----------------> locate: "Yes, Oh my God" sample-------------Limit to all hell----=------bow.. monsterous growling sound!
Instep
 
Posts:
84
Joined:
Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Postby Augment » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Reversed wrote:
OfficialDAPT wrote:
Instep wrote:and honestly a shitton more than I'd rather keep secret haha

I fucking hate when people do this

^
why do you participate in a conversation about production techniques when you're not willing to share like others are.

P.S.: I am trying to enhance hookjunior's method, it basically sounds good but since it's sinewaves a lot of harmonics are lost in that patch, therefore i am currently experimenting with using other waveforms as carrier, etc. and also i find that a manual flanger at a certain position can make a nice spectrum that makes it sound even more growl-ish. Anyway I'll keep at it for a bit, maybe i'll get something useful.
Also try using 2 Operators that control the carrier and are modulated by the formant 10 wave with different characteristics, i.e. sine + saw, or something like that.

EDIT: The several types of growls in this track have been discussed on the forum before i think, however no one made any great sounds; Most of it is reese based it seems, but we will probably not figure out how this works anyway, because Feed Me/Spor's filtering is insane.


I really wish someone had uploaded that mau5hax video. :/
Augment
 
Posts:
1932
Joined:
Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:59 pm
Location:
Norway

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
Next

Return to Sound Design

cron