Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

The Official Growl Bass Thread

Postby WolfCryOfficial » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:15 am



use the promotion code: videopromotion

for a discount on top of whatever sale they're having right now :)
WolfCryOfficial
 
Posts:
135
Joined:
Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:58 am

Postby ravinglogs » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:29 am

WolfCryOfficial wrote:Hey all you Reese and growl bassers out there :)
I found this MARVELOUS plugin that makes reese bass. And you don't have to do any fancy root work or fucking around with to get the right sound going. Its not like massive where you tweak stuff around to start with the tone, this one from startup, sounds like a reese, then all it is is wave modulators, distortion, and internal processing and sampling ! It released a few months ago and its really unknown. But for being so unknown, its super cheap compared to regular plugins that are like 400 bucks -.-

The best is, with all the internal processing, this thing makes some gnarly growls.

Check out what it can do
https://soundcloud.com/digital-sonic/mr-reese-vsti-neuro-reese
https://soundcloud.com/digital-sonic/mr-reese-vsti-glitch-hop-bass
https://soundcloud.com/digital-sonic/mr-reese-example

also here is the link to find it:
http://www.digitalsonicaudio.com/product/mr-reese/


I actually picked this up not to long ago. Got it for 50 bucks. I bought it because i like supporting small developers who don't charge a fortune for their software. I mean 50 bucks is pretty cheap. And it was on sale from $85 so its prettttty sweet. I already made some gnarly stuff with it.
ravinglogs
 
Posts:
8
Joined:
Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:34 am

Postby OmegaMode » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:13 am

I have been away fro awhile but I said I would get these growls down. :lol:

These two growls were based off the same project.

I tweaked around with different distortions. and Just used the Carbon wavetable :dunce:


Private Links

Detuned Growl
https://soundcloud.com/omegamodeofficial/detuned-growl/s-ksZ0F

BARELY ALIVE Style Growl
https://soundcloud.com/omegamodeofficial/barely-alive-style-growl/s-c6ae2

:t:
User avatar
OmegaMode
 
Posts:
120
Joined:
Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:33 am

Postby bouncingfish » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:04 am

That Mr. Reese plug seems nice. No AU support tho :((
I need to stop changing my sig

Hey, finally got soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/h-e-l-l-o

some guy from facebook wrote:-instead being would have said stop acting judgemental of others then yet on you mind is not yet acting judgemental
User avatar
bouncingfish
 
Posts:
598
Joined:
Fri May 10, 2013 6:11 pm
Location:
Sweden

Postby jujment699 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:02 am

bouncingfish wrote:That Mr. Reese plug seems nice. No AU support tho :((

AU like australia? I went to the site it uses paypal. They have paypal down under don't they? jhaha

Anyway, I actually bought this last night after researching a bit and looking into it, watching various vids etc.
Its actually pretty well written audio engineering.

Heres kinda what i put together after a couple hours of tinking around

https://soundcloud.com/randomshit_t/mr-reese-trial

So big up to WOlfCry for advertisin and these guys for making such a sweet plug
jujment699
 
Posts:
31
Joined:
Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:33 am

Postby Ascenic » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:40 pm

OmegaMode wrote:I have been away fro awhile but I said I would get these growls down. :lol:

These two growls were based off the same project.

I tweaked around with different distortions. and Just used the Carbon wavetable :dunce:


Private Links

Detuned Growl
https://soundcloud.com/omegamodeofficial/detuned-growl/s-ksZ0F

BARELY ALIVE Style Growl
https://soundcloud.com/omegamodeofficial/barely-alive-style-growl/s-c6ae2

:t:


Please for the love of everything give me some tips on the Barely Alive one. It sounds like the monster bass from Syndicate and Devil's Nest.
bouncingfish wrote: AU like australia? I went to the site it uses paypal. They have paypal down under don't they? jhaha
User avatar
Ascenic
 
Posts:
98
Joined:
Wed May 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Postby sam the dnb man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:00 am

jujment699 wrote:
bouncingfish wrote:That Mr. Reese plug seems nice. No AU support tho :((

AU like australia? I went to the site it uses paypal. They have paypal down under don't they? jhaha





Sig worthy
http://www.myspace.com/felthamdrumandbass
check ''the darkened light'' still needs alot of work on it though
sam the dnb man
 
Posts:
83
Joined:
Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:57 pm

Postby bouncingfish » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:17 am

sam the dnb man wrote:
jujment699 wrote:
bouncingfish wrote:That Mr. Reese plug seems nice. No AU support tho :((

AU like australia? I went to the site it uses paypal. They have paypal down under don't they? jhaha





Sig worthy


nah
I need to stop changing my sig

Hey, finally got soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/h-e-l-l-o

some guy from facebook wrote:-instead being would have said stop acting judgemental of others then yet on you mind is not yet acting judgemental
User avatar
bouncingfish
 
Posts:
598
Joined:
Fri May 10, 2013 6:11 pm
Location:
Sweden

Postby Ascenic » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:50 am

bouncingfish wrote:
sam the dnb man wrote:
jujment699 wrote:
bouncingfish wrote:That Mr. Reese plug seems nice. No AU support tho :((

AU like australia? I went to the site it uses paypal. They have paypal down under don't they? jhaha





Sig worthy


nah


Image

Hehehe
bouncingfish wrote: AU like australia? I went to the site it uses paypal. They have paypal down under don't they? jhaha
User avatar
Ascenic
 
Posts:
98
Joined:
Wed May 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Postby PhotonOfficial » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Hey its been a long time.

Here's a thing I made a few minutes ago featuring plenty of growly goodness. For some reason the audio of the first bar wasn't uploaded but whatever:

https://soundcloud.com/photon-2-1/messing-around

Just tell me which you would like advice on. Before I explain anything can I also just point out that everything you need to make killer growls can be found in this thread already. Before making these growls I read through a really long post that Hookjunior made explaining the "sound nuggets" kind of theory which helped me a lot so I suggest you search for it. And the thing that helped me recently was his other post explaining why distortion should be used after EQ automation. Basically, you just distort the area that the EQis being automated which means the vowels will cover the whole sound and be more realistic. I used Fabfilter saturn's Classic tube for this. :D
User avatar
PhotonOfficial
 
Posts:
169
Joined:
Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 pm
Location:
Newcastle Wey Aye

Postby bouncingfish » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:50 am

PhotonOfficial wrote:Hey its been a long time.

Here's a thing I made a few minutes ago featuring plenty of growly goodness. For some reason the audio of the first bar wasn't uploaded but whatever:

https://soundcloud.com/photon-2-1/messing-around

Just tell me which you would like advice on. Before I explain anything can I also just point out that everything you need to make killer growls can be found in this thread already. Before making these growls I read through a really long post that Hookjunior made explaining the "sound nuggets" kind of theory which helped me a lot so I suggest you search for it. And the thing that helped me recently was his other post explaining why distortion should be used after EQ automation. Basically, you just distort the area that the EQis being automated which means the vowels will cover the whole sound and be more realistic. I used Fabfilter saturn's Classic tube for this. :D


0:07 growl movement is really nice. Wah wah iih waah. How did you make that one?
I need to stop changing my sig

Hey, finally got soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/h-e-l-l-o

some guy from facebook wrote:-instead being would have said stop acting judgemental of others then yet on you mind is not yet acting judgemental
User avatar
bouncingfish
 
Posts:
598
Joined:
Fri May 10, 2013 6:11 pm
Location:
Sweden

Postby Add9 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:40 am

PhotonOfficial wrote:Hey its been a long time.

Here's a thing I made a few minutes ago featuring plenty of growly goodness. For some reason the audio of the first bar wasn't uploaded but whatever:

https://soundcloud.com/photon-2-1/messing-around

Just tell me which you would like advice on. Before I explain anything can I also just point out that everything you need to make killer growls can be found in this thread already. Before making these growls I read through a really long post that Hookjunior made explaining the "sound nuggets" kind of theory which helped me a lot so I suggest you search for it. And the thing that helped me recently was his other post explaining why distortion should be used after EQ automation. Basically, you just distort the area that the EQis being automated which means the vowels will cover the whole sound and be more realistic. I used Fabfilter saturn's Classic tube for this. :D


I'm not going to ask how you did it, but that sound at 3 seconds in is just filthy.
WolfCryOfficial wrote:Have fun on your musical campaign to hell.
Add9
 
Posts:
310
Joined:
Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:39 am

Postby counterparty » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:22 am

Add9 wrote:
PhotonOfficial wrote:Hey its been a long time.

Here's a thing I made a few minutes ago featuring plenty of growly goodness. For some reason the audio of the first bar wasn't uploaded but whatever:

https://soundcloud.com/photon-2-1/messing-around

Just tell me which you would like advice on. Before I explain anything can I also just point out that everything you need to make killer growls can be found in this thread already. Before making these growls I read through a really long post that Hookjunior made explaining the "sound nuggets" kind of theory which helped me a lot so I suggest you search for it. And the thing that helped me recently was his other post explaining why distortion should be used after EQ automation. Basically, you just distort the area that the EQis being automated which means the vowels will cover the whole sound and be more realistic. I used Fabfilter saturn's Classic tube for this. :D


I'm not going to ask how you did it, but that sound at 3 seconds in is just filthy.


If you won't... I will :6:
User avatar
counterparty
 
Posts:
61
Joined:
Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Postby PhotonOfficial » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:17 pm

udubstep wrote:
Add9 wrote:
PhotonOfficial wrote:Hey its been a long time.

Here's a thing I made a few minutes ago featuring plenty of growly goodness. For some reason the audio of the first bar wasn't uploaded but whatever:

https://soundcloud.com/photon-2-1/messing-around

Just tell me which you would like advice on. Before I explain anything can I also just point out that everything you need to make killer growls can be found in this thread already. Before making these growls I read through a really long post that Hookjunior made explaining the "sound nuggets" kind of theory which helped me a lot so I suggest you search for it. And the thing that helped me recently was his other post explaining why distortion should be used after EQ automation. Basically, you just distort the area that the EQis being automated which means the vowels will cover the whole sound and be more realistic. I used Fabfilter saturn's Classic tube for this. :D


I'm not going to ask how you did it, but that sound at 3 seconds in is just filthy.


If you won't... I will :6:


Haha it was kind of a lucky result of some experimentation involving square waves and distortion. I created a patch in massive just using the basic square wave and added the low pass filter. Most of the sound was done in massive actually now I think of it. The trick is to generate a resonatey peak by having quite high resonance on the low pass, so when you automate the cutoff there is an audible resonance kinda hard to explain. I put a macro on the cutoff and make sure the maximum the cutoff goes to isn't too high. Now when you automate the cutoff it probably won't sound great as all the magic comes from the distortion. Just add a little bit of parabolic shaper, a little bit of hard clip and a little bit of classic tube and tweak until it sounds good. I find that you need to find a decent balance between tube distortion and hard clipper. Now when you move the cutoff it should sound quite similar to that sound.

After that I resampled and just added notches and stuff. You kinda just need to try it out for yourself and listen to how it works, its a pretty simple concept, but gives a super nice sound. Go try it now haha:)
User avatar
PhotonOfficial
 
Posts:
169
Joined:
Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 pm
Location:
Newcastle Wey Aye

Postby Draastex » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:53 pm

So i doubt yall remember me or even remember what i contributed to this thread, but i have a growl in the drop of this here that i think you guys would like, im off to school now but i will make a post on how i made it later today. Hope you guys like it. :Q:



http://soundcloud.com/mutantmusic1/mutant-mystic/s-DXnzS
Draastex
 
Posts:
30
Joined:
Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:04 am

Postby PhotonOfficial » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:23 pm

Draastex wrote:So i doubt yall remember me or even remember what i contributed to this thread, but i have a growl in the drop of this here that i think you guys would like, im off to school now but i will make a post on how i made it later today. Hope you guys like it. :Q:



http://soundcloud.com/mutantmusic1/mutant-mystic/s-DXnzS


Sounds pretty cool like barely alive style
User avatar
PhotonOfficial
 
Posts:
169
Joined:
Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 pm
Location:
Newcastle Wey Aye

Postby Musick » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:10 pm

James, your new stuff is pretty serious man I can't believe how much you've improved. I'm STILL listening to that Krewella remix.

I have more of a general question for you:

How do you know if a source sound is good before you start moving onto processing?

What are some key effects for processing those growls (the main drivers behind it)?

How do you go about beginning post processing?


See for me it takes hours to attempt (and fail) at making a good growl.. By the way thank you for all of your help
Musick
 
Posts:
90
Joined:
Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:40 pm


Postby Musick » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:59 am

So I suck at making regular growls, but I think I might be decent at making Au5 styled basses:

https://soundcloud.com/andliberate/au5-styled-bass

I don't have a working headphone jack in my computer so this was made on shitty (I mean, SHITTY) computer speakers. Would love to beef it up once I can afford a new comp lol
Musick
 
Posts:
90
Joined:
Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Postby High_Plains_Drifter » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:59 pm

Does anyone know how the "growl" sounds in these tunes are made? Obviously I'm not wanting to just copy them straight up, but I'm trying to understand a bit more about different artists techiniques and impressions of mid range bas. I can make pretty nice wet sounding high passed twisting growls. But wanna make deeper, darker swelling ones! :Q:



https://soundcloud.com/perverse/perverse-cross-examination-vip
^^ Probably the nicest growls I've ever heard, all about that stab at 40 secs!


https://soundcloud.com/nanobytedubs/true-story-buy-now-bandcamp
..aaand while we're here, let us take a moment to appreciate the monstrous growls in this tune. :h:
User avatar
High_Plains_Drifter
 
Posts:
79
Joined:
Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:57 pm
Location:
Scotland

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
PreviousNext

Return to Sound Design