Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

DUPLOC Bass: Chorus/phaser/flanger/delay-modulated midrange

Postby DJens » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:34 pm

I used the searchfunction but didn't find anything helpful and since it is not a specific sound but more a specific character I thought it would be helpful for others who stumble upon the same channel like me.
First of all, have some sound examples:

0:29 min

0:07 min

0:27 min

0:14 min

<--- this gives a good idea of the sound
0:20 min

0:27 min

So I guess you have an idea about what kind of basic character in the midrange I'm talking about.
Of course those examples sound very different, but they have the same style in common. It sounds like there is more than just one voice in the basses, my first guess was a chorus, a comb filter or the pitch cutoff in the voicing tab of massive. I also tried to achieve this style with a delay with d/w 100% and the damping cranked up so the highs come through nicely - but without achieving the sound I want.
My second guess was that there are phasers and flangers involved - and by turning on the "Restart via gate" in the osc-tab in massive and using the "Flanger negative mono" and a sine- or parabolic shaper I worked out how the top end of those basses works - but I still can't find a way to achieve those mids.

Btw I was using a square or saw as oscillator going into a double notch followed by a scream filter (also tried other filter settings), tried the same with detuning multiple waves and playing around with the ringmod and phase in the modulation tab and the routing for the sine shaper.

I will post some examples of my achievments soon, so someone can maybe give me pointers in the right direction, I guess there has to be an "easy" way to get this basic character, because there are so many producers on the channel who manage to get this chorused / flanged / whatever kind of sounds.

Thanks in advance for reading, looking forward to try out your ideas!

tl;dr - I want this chorusy midrange!
DJens

Postby ChaserDubs » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Yeah this is something i would wanna know also :)
ChaserDubs

Postby jesustits » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:34 am

If you use massive there is a sort of easy way, the double notch and bandreject filters can make a sound pretty flangy

http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/69018238/file.html (first part is without fx, second is with.... you'll notice)

:4:
jesustits

Postby JayaRe the Monk » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:21 pm

These sounds are all done on reasons maelstrom. On osc 1 use whatever wave you like then set mod A as 2/4 LFO on the filter and shift or pitch. Then on Mod B use a 1/4 LFO or 1/8 or 1/8t and pull the volume on Mod B all the way down or all the way up. Set the filter to comb - or comb + and mess around with the Res and Filter knobs. You should get a nice sound going on and off beat.

If you want. On osc 2 but a sine wave on and drop it 2 octaves to create a layered bass line. Or separately add sub bass.

I alao know a similar method on massive but you have use more lfo automations and envelopes
JayaRe the Monk

Postby JayaRe the Monk » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:31 pm

I forget to add, put a small reverb and 1 time delay.
JayaRe the Monk

Postby Cubicle » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:06 pm

JayaRe the Monk wrote:These sounds are all done on reasons maelstrom. On osc 1 use whatever wave you like then set mod A as 2/4 LFO on the filter and shift or pitch. Then on Mod B use a 1/4 LFO or 1/8 or 1/8t and pull the volume on Mod B all the way down or all the way up. Set the filter to comb - or comb + and mess around with the Res and Filter knobs. You should get a nice sound going on and off beat.

If you want. On osc 2 but a sine wave on and drop it 2 octaves to create a layered bass line. Or separately add sub bass.

I alao know a similar method on massive but you have use more lfo automations and envelopes

This, they're all done inside Reason and I'm not really sure if it'll be as easy to achieve in Massive itself.

I wouldn't recommend using this bass tho because it's been used a FUCKton of times these days and noone is even trying to be original anymore.
Next hype!
https://soundcloud.com/cymbalic/cymbalic-home
Coolschmid wrote:I don't even fucking understand some of the questions getting posted on here now.
Cubicle

Postby gαммα » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:59 pm

riddim (thought id never have to say that) is getting to the point where everyone is just copying subfiltronik

lol
вεαтs вү gαммα

https://soundcloud.com/beatsbygamma/sym001

I used to be Trainrek
gαммα

Postby Dislokate » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:30 am

Agree with above, when i first heard subfiltronik/ad etc I really likes the basses they were using and pushing, but now everyone seems to have jumped onto that subfiltronik sound, and imo, i havnt heard many people that can pull it off well. Akira for example, i thought his older stuff was pretty cool. but tune after tune is litterally the same grown noise played over and over for 16 bars, then with a hi-hat and a slight twist on the modulation for the next 16 etcetc. people need to steer away from this and start being creative.

buh.
LeicesterDEEP - facebook.com/leicesterdeep
Soundcloud - soundcloud.com/dislokatemusic
Dislokate

Postby DJens » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:49 pm

I agree that wayyyyyy to many tunes, which go in this AD/Subfiltronik/Monsters direction, often sound alike - but that's the same as with many (subgenres income) dungeon, brostep or tearout producers.
Most tracks reffered to as "dungeon" have a twisting reese / neuro-elements and maybe some tribal percussions.
Most brostep tracks (source = beatport) have some monster-growls and leadsynths of house music, and laser stuff...
Tearout mostly consists of machine gun basses in triplets and heavy reeses + metal/hardcore drums.

Of course there are some major influences for upcoming producers which like a specific style over another - and therefore they try to emulate this style in their own tracks. Many producers fail and it just sounds like a copy of, in this example, Subfiltronik or the Monsters crew. The only difference seems to be in the arrangement. But if you think about specific styles in dubstep, many tracks representing those styles sound alike, or at least have something in common.

If you wanna go back to the roots of this Subfiltronik sound you could say that he adapted some attributes of Coki basslines - they also sound flangy, metallic and hollow.

I agree with the posters above in that point, that some upcoming producers just want to copy the style of their favorite producers, but others more or less just like the vibe of the whole subgenre, and this vibe can come through those "riddim"basslines.

There are many new producers which adapted this monsters-style and created some pretty unique sounds - they ARE creative. You just have to dig to find this creativity.

tl;dr - Subgenres are defined by some aspects the tunes have in common - some producers use those aspects in a creative way and form something new - some don't :w:
DJens

Postby gαммα » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:59 pm

no.
its not the same as what you said.

they dont sound alike.
they sound exactly the fucking same.

i used to like this sort of dubstep - mainly because of how hype it is. but its getting old now, it all sounds the same

ruins it because a producer releases a tune and you realise you already have a copy of basically the same tune.

i mean this tune even has no sub bass (?) and people are going nuts for it.
https://soundcloud.com/ad_dubstepper/ad-subfiltronik-sin-clip
вεαтs вү gαммα

https://soundcloud.com/beatsbygamma/sym001

I used to be Trainrek
gαммα

Postby DJens » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:36 pm

like I said before - you have to search for quality tracks. Of course there's a lot same sounding garbage out there, but also goes for every other hyped music. And yeah this tune sucks, but I've seen it many times: A "popular" producer puts out a free ep with 12 tracks which basically have just a different arrangement + too little subbass and just because everybody knows him the fanboys go nuts - no matter if it's quality or not. No that we both have our own opinion and won't get to any point with this discussion (basically every sound design thread except of reese and growlbass thread) I guess we should be quite, so this won't turn into 3 pages of butthurtness whether tunes in this style sound exactly the same or just a bit.
DJens

Postby GenericNameHere » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:50 pm

True, let's stay away from the butthurtness, but you also have to think how it feels to be a popular producer, faced with the choice of experimenting (and then subsequently, being ripped another a$$hole) or just going with what's popular, and what they might like (and still being ripped another a$$hole). It's lose lose, but I'll take being on the losing side, if it means I get some actual paper for doing what I love.

edit: For many, "dubstep" is still in it's infancy, and having the genre grow at an ridiculous rate, because every twelve year old can get the same tools and techniques his idols have worked their lives for, in the space of a couple hours, could ruin the industry ... or something like it.

TL:DR -- Just stick to what you like, ignore the shite imitators - who's music sounds way amatuerish, tbf - and they'll die a slow death.
GenericNameHere

Postby R3b_Official » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Been going bonkers these past two months trying to get these sounds.... still not close :u: the closest ive gotten was inside ableton and massive but i just cant get it too talk.... Tried in reason and still no luck m8s

https://soundcloud.com/r3b_official/think-im-getting-somewhere
R3b_Official

Postby Eskimo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:09 pm

Malström, the shift knob and the comb filters will get you this type of sounds
Eskimo

Postby LURCH » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:06 pm

YouTube "Bassclash Reason" you should find a video from MalleusDUBS - he explains the principle of how to make this sound rather well I think. Even if you don't use Reason, it should have all the information to get you in the right direction.
<vax>: if there's no threat of trainwreck there's no adrenaline
LURCH

Postby Kangpfa » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:25 pm

https://soundcloud.com/kangpfa/daffy-fo ... lazers-and

So i don't know if it's this sound you're looking for but this is made with massive.
I used the grain II waveform, and a double notch and daft filter with sine shaper , some tube distortion and of course dimension expander, the most important thing were the fx though, i used fruity flanger ( the ultra chorus preset) and the fruity delay 2 with the time completely on zero and then experiment with the offset you'll here when it's right ! i also used the lfx-1310 its free ! So yeah i hope this helps sorry if i was shallow in some points of my explanation but i'm just trying to recreate it from the top of my head !
Kangpfa

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Sound Design