Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

The most convoluted bass growl ever?

Postby GenericNameHere » Thu May 16, 2013 8:26 am

Anyone had a peak at some of SeamlessR's growlies in one of his flp's?

Recently, FL Studio 11 shipped with several of his flp's, and any got a look at his technique. Sure you could have checked out his Youtube channel, but fuck it, who has the time?

This guy has some growlies that will rip your CPU to frickin' shreads. Now I want to know if all growls are this CPU unfriendly?

Also, do any of you get the vibe that his music, although marvellous from a technical standpoint, is somewhat lacking in rhythm? His bass drops are somewhat, in my opinion, complete shit. The bassline in Menagerie or whatever the hell that song is called, is incomprehensible. It lacks soul.

Reason I bring this up is that I've been hunting for flp's for some time, so I could peak under the hood to see how dubstep is made by the "professionals." Anywho, is this kid's music that unrhythmic, or am I imaging things due to not being as capable as him?

Also his songSometime actually has good rhythm, so I'm not sure if he totally sucks or if menagerie was just a "tech demo." Lastly, that song by those Danish guys, RawFL, that also came as a FLS 11 demo is amazing. They made a dubsteppy song without any major synths, they simply used 3xosc, amazing.

Whta do you guys think? Is Seamless's song unrhythmic? And are all growls this CPU hungry? Also are his growls any good?
GenericNameHere

Postby Genevieve » Thu May 16, 2013 8:44 am

I know some of the techniques he uses, but he could be using huge samples in Harmor with a lot of modulation. A lot going on = a lot of CPU, usually. How you make a "growl" depends entirely on technique. When I make them, they're fine, but I do most of my work in Renoise which isn't CPU heavy to begin with and I work more with audio than synths. There's lots of factors.

Nothing wrong with his sense of rhythm. Just standard drum & bass/brostep fair. From the songs I've heard though, he's a one trick pony. It's all about ways of getting that Noisia bass to him. I'll listen to Noisia if I want Noisia.

From his videos, he seems to be one hell of a friendly guy, though.

namsayin

:'0

Head of the DSF Hebrew Awareness Society
Genevieve

Postby GenericNameHere » Thu May 16, 2013 8:53 am

Ok. Now do you use a vocoder on your bass?

I see he uses a vocoder with pitch dropped samples on his bass. This seems rather circular, as pitch dropped samples make "growls" by themselves, isn't it?

He also uses, as you said re/image/samplesynthsis with Harmor, but he also uses Sytrus for his basses, and the way he uses them is by modulating four friggin' parameters. He modulates the input of a modulator in Sytrus, the effects, and two other parameters in Vocodex -- I'm not at my computer so I can't be really specific here.

What do modulate/automate to create growls?

He is friendly tho, and I wish him success, because he's all about enlightenment and sharing techniques. Especially in this age of, " I want 20000 views or 1000 likes, and I'll release my flp that sounds like utter shit."
GenericNameHere

Postby Vagic » Thu May 16, 2013 9:16 am

His stuff sounds fine to me. I like some of it better than others, might be a taste thing.

I'm still working on the growl bass synth stuff, so it's intriguing enough to me.

Automating the volume of a few oscillators(FM modulation) isn't really what's hogging the CPU, I don't think. It's probably the multiple instances of things like Maximus, Vocodex, and having the synths running in real time.
Vagic

Postby Genevieve » Thu May 16, 2013 9:55 am

GenericNameHere wrote:Ok. Now do you use a vocoder on your bass?

I see he uses a vocoder with pitch dropped samples on his bass. This seems rather circular, as pitch dropped samples make "growls" by themselves, isn't it?

He also uses, as you said re/image/samplesynthsis with Harmor, but he also uses Sytrus for his basses, and the way he uses them is by modulating four friggin' parameters. He modulates the input of a modulator in Sytrus, the effects, and two other parameters in Vocodex -- I'm not at my computer so I can't be really specific here.

What do modulate/automate to create growls?

He is friendly tho, and I wish him success, because he's all about enlightenment and sharing techniques. Especially in this age of, " I want 20000 views or 1000 likes, and I'll release my flp that sounds like utter shit."

Alright. Just the other day I worked on a bass sound where I modulated pitch, then fed that into a guitar amp sim where I modulated the wetness knob. Resampled, then another amp sim doing the same thing into a comb filter where I modulated wetness, frequency and feedback. And that's before I frequency split it, where on each band I had numerous devices with multiple modulated paramters, all fed into a gain knob that was modulated into a veeeery fucking harsh limiter.

'Modulating 4 paramters' is nothing.

Design yourself a nasty ass reese. Pour some of your favorite drink in a big glass, watch a tv show in the background and just spend your afternoon coming up with things. Start by modulating the pitch and then do modulation that accentuates that innitial movement created by the pitch modulation.

Also everything that I mentioned isn't some rulebook. Get creative. Modulate anything you can find and if the sound sucks then don't it.

Edit: or u cud just put a donk on it imo

namsayin

:'0

Head of the DSF Hebrew Awareness Society
Genevieve

Postby GenericNameHere » Thu May 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Vagic wrote:His stuff sounds fine to me. I like some of it better than others, might be a taste thing.

So it's just me who thinks his bass drops lack rhythm, coherence and direction? His drops sound "monophonic," compared to Skrillex or Knife Party's drops, which are way simpler. Listen to the Menagerie drop, it's just constant growls, a chord that's barely audible, a couple kicks, snares, and a cymbal crash? I think he tries to overcomplicate things with his drops, but what do I know?

I know it seems like I'm criticising him, but that's not the case. I want to get a better understanding of dubstep, and by breaking it down to parts and analysing songs, I'm trying to understand a couple of concepts. I want to find out what makes a good song, and by criticising Menagerie, I'm trying to gauge my understanding of "dubstep," with that of people who might have been enjoying this genre for longer than I have.

It just seems like his songs are empty. He never brings back the melody at the end of the bassline phrase. The growls just don't let up. His basslines are so frentic and overly long, that I can't get a grip on where it starts or ends. If you listen to any artist, you'll clearly hear where a phrase ends and a new one starts, but this guys growls JUST DON'T LET UP. It's insanity.

Am I the only one hearing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?client=mv- ... nomobile=1

For some reason the drop starts at 2:27. I'm using my phone don't know if the link'll work.
GenericNameHere

Postby Dahneboy » Thu May 16, 2013 12:53 pm

GenericNameHere wrote:Anyone had a peak at some of SeamlessR's growlies in one of his flp's?

Recently, FL Studio 11 shipped with several of his flp's, and any got a look at his technique. Sure you could have checked out his Youtube channel, but fuck it, who has the time?

This guy has some growlies that will rip your CPU to frickin' shreads. Now I want to know if all growls are this CPU unfriendly?

Also, do any of you get the vibe that his music, although marvellous from a technical standpoint, is somewhat lacking in rhythm? His bass drops are somewhat, in my opinion, complete shit. The bassline in Menagerie or whatever the hell that song is called, is incomprehensible. It lacks soul.

Reason I bring this up is that I've been hunting for flp's for some time, so I could peak under the hood to see how dubstep is made by the "professionals." Anywho, is this kid's music that unrhythmic, or am I imaging things due to not being as capable as him?

Also his songSometime actually has good rhythm, so I'm not sure if he totally sucks or if menagerie was just a "tech demo." Lastly, that song by those Danish guys, RawFL, that also came as a FLS 11 demo is amazing. They made a dubsteppy song without any major synths, they simply used 3xosc, amazing.

Whta do you guys think? Is Seamless's song unrhythmic? And are all growls this CPU hungry? Also are his growls any good?

you sound pretty excited for discovering the mesterious flp, let me promote you for head general in the FBI building .
and you also sound like a noob that discovered what the piano roll is +1 though for helping the noobs that need help
Dahneboy

Postby Dahneboy » Thu May 16, 2013 12:54 pm

have you ever heard about massive or gladiator lol
Dahneboy

Postby Dahneboy » Thu May 16, 2013 12:56 pm

i think you're just a noob overall
Dahneboy

Postby Dahneboy » Thu May 16, 2013 12:57 pm

and your overcomplicating things , i think its about your brain, think it out if you use your head i think you might actually get a growl instead of having to rely on flps to make you better
Dahneboy

Postby mthrfnk » Thu May 16, 2013 6:12 pm

His techniques are good, and whilst complicated, they can get good results - but he's not the first to "put them out there", as in people have been vocoding basses for ages.

I'd agree about his tracks though, a few I've heard are good technically and they have all the right elements but they lack something, idk exactly what it is, but they don't sound that good.
mthrfnk

Postby misk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:10 am

he's probably doing it all in real-time because he's got some super computer.

resampling will do wonders for your cpu cycles ;)
misk

Postby Augment » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:25 am

mthrfnk wrote:His techniques are good, and whilst complicated, they can get good results - but he's not the first to "put them out there", as in people have been vocoding basses for ages.

I'd agree about his tracks though, a few I've heard are good technically and they have all the right elements but they lack something, idk exactly what it is, but they don't sound that good.

I agree on his songs, I don't like most of them from a musical perspective, but I can appreciate the technical side of them
Augment

Postby Dub_Fiend » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:32 pm

Congrats on the quadruple post there Dahneboy. Real constructive stuff too. :|

Never heard of the guy to be fair so I'm just listening now... The growl sounds alright, but the way he's mixed it just sounds like it's fighting for space with all the other synths in the initial breakdown. It's a good sound and but at the end of the day, is it worth destroying your computer for? :P
cloak and dagger wrote:number of posts on dsf = directly proportional to importance in the dubstep scene

| Facebook Page | Twitter | Soundcloud |

New release! Check 'Murda' on Monkey Dub Recordings, available at most digital music outlets!
https://soundcloud.com/dub-fiend/murda
Dub_Fiend

Postby mthrfnk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:32 pm

Dub Fiend wrote:but the way he's mixed it just sounds like it's fighting for space with all the other synths in the initial breakdown.

His mixing is awful, he basically multiband comps & limits most things to shit, and mixes everything into the red. :lol:
mthrfnk

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Sound Design